PDA

View Full Version : CC Derby begins....

getonbckthr
11-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Quick out of the gates are the Yankees 6 yrs/140 million.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/11/14/2008-11-14_report_yankees_make_record_sixyear_140mi.html

veeter
11-14-2008, 05:27 PM
With guaranteed money he'll probably go with the highest offer. But if CC cares about his legacy as a pitcher, he should stay in the NL.

Boondock Saint
11-14-2008, 05:29 PM
I can't say I'm the least bit surprised, but the number sure as hell made my eyes widen. CC has to be drooling right now.

rustysurf83
11-14-2008, 05:37 PM
That is ****ing ridiculous....Holy ****! What would this put NYY payroll at next year? Compare that to the FLA Marlins.

cbrownson13
11-14-2008, 05:58 PM
That is ****ing ridiculous....Holy ****! What would this put NYY payroll at next year? Compare that to the FLA Marlins.

Especially since it's seems they're intent on not only getting Sabathia, but also one of either Burnett or Lowe.

Gotta hand it to them though. They are trying to keep their young guys in tact unlike they have in the past where they just trade anything and everything they have for big names. And a rotation of Sabathia, Burnett/Lowe, Wang, Chamberlain, and possibly Mussina/Pettitte looks like a damn good rotation.

DumpJerry
11-14-2008, 06:05 PM
I guess someone is buying new ships these days......

btrain929
11-14-2008, 06:15 PM

Whatever their current payroll is + 25-ish million.

BadBobbyJenks
11-14-2008, 06:40 PM
The Yanks are also dropping a ton of payroll in Giambi, Abreu, Pavano, Pudge, plus Mussina and Pettitte are free agents so this is really is not a big deal(in terms of what their overall payroll will be next season)

FedEx227
11-14-2008, 06:43 PM
Exactly. They are getting a ton off the books this year. I still think even in the face of this deal they are going to become more aware spenders and not drop huge deals on guys in their mid 30s.

rustysurf83
11-14-2008, 07:17 PM
Exactly. They are getting a ton off the books this year. I still think even in the face of this deal they are going to become more aware spenders and not drop huge deals on guys in their mid 30s.

I don't know the general consensus among the NYY fans that I know (misinformed as they may be) is one of uncertainty due to CC's workload and physical stature. I tend to agree; CC may be the hot commodity right now, but 6 ****ing years? No ****ing way.

Paulwny
11-14-2008, 07:24 PM
The yankee contract offers for Sabathia, Lowe and Burnett may total $250 mil.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/11/report_yanks_ma.html

SOXfnNlansing
11-14-2008, 07:44 PM
If you're a Yankee fan, you really have to love ownership's dedication to getting better and winning at whatever cost. Somehow that has to be respected for what it is.

DSpivack
11-14-2008, 10:24 PM
The yankee contract offers for Sabathia, Lowe and Burnett may total $250 mil.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/11/report_yanks_ma.html

And their payroll still might not be higher next season, though their revenue most certainly will be.

MHOUSE
11-15-2008, 01:38 AM
I like CC a lot, he seems like a class act and nobody can doubt his heart after what he did carrying the Brew Crew into October. That said, I wouldn't go after him for more than 2 years, 3 tops. He's worth the $20+ per season based on last year's performance, but either his arm will fall off at some point or he'll lose control of his weight/have back issues IMO. Then again, a guy like David Wells was effective late into his career with a similar stature and a seemingly-rubber arm. You never know, but after 253 innings in 2008, I'd bank on a big drop-off for CC in 2009. Just my opinion though.

Ziggy S
11-15-2008, 03:07 AM
I like CC a lot, he seems like a class act and nobody can doubt his heart after what he did carrying the Brew Crew into October. That said, I wouldn't go after him for more than 2 years, 3 tops. He's worth the $20+ per season based on last year's performance, but either his arm will fall off at some point or he'll lose control of his weight/have back issues IMO. Then again, a guy like David Wells was effective late into his career with a similar stature and a seemingly-rubber arm. You never know, but after 253 innings in 2008, I'd bank on a big drop-off for CC in 2009. Just my opinion though.

Even though, they have polar opposite body types, CC reminds me of Black Jack that way. I would not be surprised to see Sabbathia's arm fall off in the next couple of seasons. Hell, I think it's the main reason he looked so lackluster in the playoffs the last couple of years.

BleacherBandit
11-16-2008, 03:52 PM
Wow, I wonder what it is like to be a Yankees fan. When three quarters of your team was not ever in your team's system, it must feel illegitamate. Let's hope that CC gets off to a slow start like he did last year just to prove that money can't always buy you success.

btrain929
11-16-2008, 04:51 PM
Wow, I wonder what it is like to be a Yankees fan. When three quarters of your team was not ever in your team's system, it must feel illegitamate. Let's hope that CC gets off to a slow start like he did last year just to prove that money can't always buy you success.

Have you seen our team lately?

spiffie
11-17-2008, 10:14 AM
2005 White Sox:
1B - Paul Konerko - Dodgers farm
2B - Tadahito Iguchi - Japanese League
SS - Juan Uribe - Rockies farm
3B - Joe Crede - homegrown
RF - Jermaine Dye - Atlanta farm
CF - Aaron Rowand - homegrown
LF - Scott Podsednik - Texas farm
C - A.J. Pierzynski - Twins farm
DH - Carl Everett - Yankees/Marlins farm
DH - Frank Thomas - homegrown
Util - Pablo Ozuna - Cardinals/Marlins farm
Util - Timo Perez - Mets farm
C - Chris Widger - Mariners farm
Util - Willie Harris - Orioles farm
Util - Geoff Blum - Expos farm
Util - Ross Gload - Cubs farm
Util - Brian Anderson - homegrown

SP - Mark Buehrle - homegrown
SP - Jon Garland - Cubs farm/homegrown
SP - Freddie Garcia - Mariners farm
SP - Orlando Hernandez - Cuba/Yankees
SP - Jose Contreras - Cuba/Yankees
SP - Brandon McCarthy - homegrown
RP - Shingo Takatsu - Japan
RP - Dustin Hermanson - Padres farm
RP - Bobby Jenks - Angels farm
RP - Cliff Politte - Cardinals farm
RP - Neal Cotts - A's farm
RP - Damaso Marte - Mariners farm
RP - Luis Vizcaino - A's farm

Hmmm...24 out of 30...I guess 3/4 of a team is illegitimate, but 5/6 of a team is a beloved part of White Sox history.

tm1119
11-19-2008, 08:51 PM
Anybody else see this?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/11/brown-on-sabath.html

This guy has us listed as a possible destination for C.C. No way in hell do we have enough $ to land him. Dont even know where this guy even came up with half the teams he listed. Pull from a hat?

gr8mexico
11-19-2008, 10:28 PM
Anybody else see this?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/11/brown-on-sabath.html

This guy has us listed as a possible destination for C.C. No way in hell do we have enough $ to land him. Dont even know where this guy even came up with half the teams he listed. Pull from a hat?
I'm not sure why people say the Sox don't have the money to sign C.C. They might choose not to spend the money on C.C but they have $.
In 2007 the Sox 5 man rotation Mark Buehrle,Jose Contreras, Jon Garland , Javier Vazquez & John Danks made a total of $42MIL.Total payroll $109MIL
If the Sox made an offer of $20MIL a year to C.C.
There 2009 rotation might look like this.
C.C Sabathia,Mark Buehrle,John Danks,Gavin Floyd & Clayton Richard/Jose Contreras a total 42MIL including Contreras contract. After 2009 Contreras becomes a FA and most likely wont be coming back. Javier Vazquez gets traded and frees up 10MIL plus the money they freed up by letting Cabrera,Crede,Swisher & Uribe go that's a total of over 35MIL and the payroll will still come out around 118MIL for 2009. After 2010 the Sox free up over $50mil and by trying to go young they can actually afford C.C "If they wanted to" But I dont think the Sox have the balls to sign him.

doublem23
11-19-2008, 11:22 PM
But I dont think the Sox have the balls to sign him.

It's not the money, it's the years that will price the Sox out. How many times have the Sox in the JR days doled out a long-term contract for a pitcher?

CC is in his prime and he's throwing huge innings now, but whoever inks him to a 6-7 year deal will probably be regretting it for at least the last 2-3 years. That's too big of a risk.

If Sabathia was only looking for a 3-4 year deal, then the Sox might be players. 6+ years? **** that.

rustysurf83
11-20-2008, 12:16 AM
It's not the money, it's the years that will price the Sox out. How many times have the Sox in the JR days doled out a long-term contract for a pitcher?

CC is in his prime and he's throwing huge innings now, but whoever inks him to a 6-7 year deal will probably be regretting it for at least the last 2-3 years. That's too big of a risk.

If Sabathia was only looking for a 3-4 year deal, then the Sox might be players. 6+ years? **** that.

Completely agree. I would not want us to sign ANY... yes ANY pitcher to a six year contract of that amount. The fact that CC has pitched a ridiculous amount of innings and lets admit it, isn't the pinnacle of physical fitness makes these offers completely ludicrous. Any team that signs him is IMO getting three years. Maybe he will prove us wrong, but no way he is worth that type of money in 2014.

WhiteSoxFan84
11-20-2008, 02:48 AM
Yahoo's Tim Brown reported the Sox as being in the hunt for CC. He also was the first one to name the 3 players Oakland sent to Colorado for Matt Holliday. He gained a lot of credibility from that and a few other breaking stories this offseason.

I'd rather see the White Sox pick up Ben Sheets or Derek Lowe and Rafael Furcal. Then again I'd rather they sign CC, Lowe, Furcal, K-Rod, Fuentes, and trade for Grady Sizemore. Hey, it's not my money, spend it as unwisely as you can KW!

RedHeadPaleHoser
11-20-2008, 06:51 AM
If you're a Yankee fan, you really have to love ownership's dedication to getting better and winning at whatever cost. Somehow that has to be respected for what it is.

Or, as a Yankee fan, you want to shoot someone when you go out and try to buy a World Series (what is it, 10 years now) and you can't get there, regardless of how much you spend.

Everyone fears Goliath, but they also want to see Goliath fall HARD. This is no different.

I'd take the 2005 White Sox year in and year out over whatever payroll swollen team the Yankees put out there. Character is an immeasurable commodity.

gr8mexico
11-20-2008, 08:40 AM
The Sox have a lot of money coming off the books after the 2009 season Jose Contreras $10MIL, Octavio Dotel $6MIL , Mike MacDougal $2.65MIL, JIm Thome $13MIL, That's over $30MIL and they save even more money after the 2010 season over $42MIL. So they can start commiting to some players this year "IF the player is a perfect fit for the team and future plans.

jabrch
11-20-2008, 03:30 PM

I can't imagine the Sox would pay CC more than they paid Buehrle. I think we set our ceiling for pitchers, at least for now, with Mark's contract.

kittle42
11-20-2008, 03:46 PM
I can't imagine the Sox would pay CC more than they paid Buehrle. I think we set our ceiling for pitchers, at least for now, with Mark's contract.

That's unfortunate, but I agree, despite the fact that he's worth much more than Buehrle.

oeo
11-20-2008, 04:03 PM
That's unfortunate, but I agree, despite the fact that he's worth much more than Buehrle.

Their career numbers are actually eerily similar. Buehrle just doesn't have the glamor of the mid-90s fastball, strikeout guy. Sabathia's career has really taken off in the last couple of years, but we'll see how long that lasts. I know he's only 28, but he would scare me after amassing all those innings while being a power guy. Not to mention the guy is ****ing huge.

I'll agree that he deserves more money (and I'm sure the Sox would offer him more money...I don't think they reached a ceiling in terms of money with Buehrle's contract), but more in terms of a longer contract, no deal. Buehrle will outlast him.

Tekijawa
11-21-2008, 08:46 AM
Am I the only ones that thinks that CC has gotten to the size, and after last years innings pitched (especially with Milwaukee at the end of the season), that any team bidding for him might end up with David Wells?

kittle42
11-21-2008, 08:57 AM
Am I the only ones that thinks that CC has gotten to the size, and after last years innings pitched (especially with Milwaukee at the end of the season), that any team bidding for him might end up with David Wells?

And, consequently, the gout!

gr8mexico
11-21-2008, 09:23 AM

What was wrong with David Well? Despite his size David Wells would always pitch over 200 innings a year and pitched until he was 44 years old.

Tekijawa
11-21-2008, 09:32 AM
What was wrong with David Well? Despite his size David Wells would always pitch over 200 innings a year and pitched until he was 44 years old.

David Wells isn't making 23 million a year...

gr8mexico
11-21-2008, 10:49 AM
David Wells isn't making 23 million a year...
That wasn't the point. David Wells proved to be a good pitcher besides being over weight.

doublem23
11-21-2008, 11:12 AM
That wasn't the point. David Wells proved to be a good pitcher besides being over weight.

David Wells was a decent pitcher, but he never had many seasons were he had "ace" type numbers. Sabathia might land the most expensive contract ever awarded to a pitcher; if he matches Wells' 162-game average during the course of that contract (14-9, 4.13 ERA, 203 IP) then he will have dissapointed.

Tekijawa
11-21-2008, 11:23 AM
For that Kind of money, I want a Santana/Peavy type pitcher. I think that weight is a factor in pitching, when is the last time you saw a 300 pound front line ACE? That's too much of a pounding on the back and legs to extend a long term offer for. For 23 million over 6 years I want flawless and low risk... I don't think, especially the way he was ridden into the end of the season, that he is that... I also see K-Rod heading south after last season. Herky jerky motion and over-worked.

SoxfaninLA
11-21-2008, 11:26 AM
What was wrong with David Well? Despite his size David Wells would always pitch over 200 innings a year

Except for 2001. Hard to not hate David Wells as a Sox fan.

soxfanreggie
11-22-2008, 10:59 AM
I wouldn't mind spending less money and getting AJ Burnett and using the other $$$ to help elsewhere.