PDA

View Full Version : Sox buy out of TEP deal, Spring Training in Glendale

Sockinchisox
11-14-2008, 03:39 PM
http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/daily/sports/102643.php

11-14-2008, 03:56 PM
Pima County officials still need to approve the deal and that vote comes up Tuesday.

I sense it will pass, and all this will be in the rear view mirror. $5M and continued efforts to bring a MLB Youth Academy to Tucson sounds reasonable. Neither the White Sox or the Tucson people wanted this to get ugly.

If this is the end, it sure was an enjoyable 11 years for me. Long live the Old Pueblo and great places like Frog and Firkin, Gentle Ben's, Maloney's, Risky Business, Bob Dobbs, Nimbus Brewing, The Shanty, Kingfisher, Bison Witches, the Trident, Rocco's Little Chicago, and so many others.

AZChiSoxFan
11-14-2008, 04:10 PM
:bandance::bandance::bandance:

Chez
11-14-2008, 04:39 PM
Too bad. I like Tucson a helluva lot more than the Phoenix area.

voodoochile
11-14-2008, 04:46 PM
2 hours closer to Vegas, the Grand Canyon and LA. For people looking to make it part of a Spring vacation, it probably appeals more too.

russ99
11-14-2008, 04:49 PM
Whooo Hooo!

Modern facilities that we don't have to share with the hometown D-backs. :D:

That's awesome news, at least from the viewpoint of getting the team ready for the season.

FedEx227
11-14-2008, 06:05 PM
2 hours closer to Vegas, the Grand Canyon and LA. For people looking to make it part of a Spring vacation, it probably appeals more too.

Absolutely. Tucson was cool, but it just didn't fit with the rest of the area around there, it was way too far out. Now it's more accessible to see the Sox play in various places or just see random teams on days off much easier.

I loved being able to bounce between stadiums this spring and honestly the day we drove to Tucson was probably the worst of the entire week.

This will really benefit Sox fans and the White Sox themselves SO much more, it really will, now they won't be so far out from where the rest of the action is (Peoria, Sunshine, etc.)

SOX LA Mikey
11-14-2008, 06:19 PM
OUTSTANDING!
I didn't mind Tucson, but is was an extra 200+ miles RT
Now I'll just hang in Phoenix the whole time....

I want Mags back
11-14-2008, 06:20 PM
woo-hoo

TDog
11-14-2008, 06:26 PM
Too bad. I like Tucson a helluva lot more than the Phoenix area.

Most Arizonans who don't live in the Phoenix area feel this way.

This is unfortunate.

FedEx227
11-14-2008, 06:33 PM
But it really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to continue to be tied down to Tucson when the other teams are all much closer to the Phoenix area. This is how it would look if the Sox stayed in Tucson for more years (bolded being those in the general Phoenix area).

Diamondbacks - Casa Grande
Cubs - Mesa
White Sox - Tucson
Reds - Goodyear
Indians - Goodyear
Rockies - Tucson
Royals - Suprise
Angels - Tempe
Dodgers - Glendale
Brewers - Phoenix
Athletics - Phoenix
Padres - Peoria
Giants - Scottsdale
Mariners - Peoria
Rangers - Suprise

Sox4ever77
11-14-2008, 06:37 PM
Whooo Hooo!

Modern facilities that we don't have to share with the hometown D-backs. :D:

That's awesome news, at least from the viewpoint of getting the team ready for the season.

But the are going to share with the Dodgers and with the expected amount of Dodger fans going to ST next year, Glendale, AZ will turn into Glendale,CA, full of Dodger fans.

FedEx227
11-14-2008, 06:40 PM
But the are going to share with the Dodgers and with the expected amount of Dodger fans going to ST next year, Glendale, AZ will turn into Glendale,CA, full of Dodger fans.

Meh, I don't think I had one problem with any fans of any team last year. It was some of the most pleasant baseball watching I've ever had.

Sockinchisox
11-14-2008, 07:06 PM
Meh, I don't think I had one problem with any fans of any team last year. It was some of the most pleasant baseball watching I've ever had.

Ya, I've been going to spring training for a number of years now and never had one problem with any fan, not even Cubs. They're exhibition games, who cares?

SOXfnNlansing
11-14-2008, 07:13 PM
I'm definately looking forward to the move. We're planning our 1st spring training trip this upcoming season. Our friends live in Suprise AZ which is alot more convenient.

FedEx227
11-14-2008, 07:18 PM
I'm definately looking forward to the move. We're planning our 1st spring training trip this upcoming season. Our friends live in Suprise AZ which is alot more convenient.

Absolutely, that's where a friend and I stayed, about 15-20 minutes to Glendale, so definitely pretty sweet.

Suprise also has a pretty sweet stadium, one of my favorite parts was not just traveling to see the Sox but seeing the other prospects from around the league.

champagne030
11-14-2008, 07:35 PM
But it really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to continue to be tied down to Tucson when the other teams are all much closer to the Phoenix area. This is how it would look if the Sox stayed in Tucson for more years (bolded being those in the general Phoenix area).

Diamondbacks - Casa Grande
Cubs - Mesa
White Sox - Tucson
Reds - Goodyear
Indians - Goodyear
Rockies - Tucson
Royals - Suprise
Angels - Tempe
Dodgers - Glendale
Brewers - Phoenix
Athletics - Phoenix
Padres - Peoria
Giants - Scottsdale
Mariners - Peoria
Rangers - Suprise

I think you can bold Scottsdale and add/bold Chandler.

FedEx227
11-14-2008, 07:51 PM
I think you can bold Scottsdale and add/bold Chandler.

Who has a stadium in Chandler?

manders_01
11-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Well at least flights to Phoenix are cheaper. I liked Tucson but the Phoenix area will I'm sure be nice too. Closer to a friend down there too so that's nice.

champagne030
11-14-2008, 09:10 PM
Who has a stadium in Chandler?

:redface: I went to a Brewers/A's game at Compadre Stadium about 10 years ago. I see they have since left......

Sox4ever77
11-15-2008, 01:48 AM

Ya, I've been going to spring training for a number of years now and never had one problem with any fan, not even Cubs. They're exhibition games, who cares?

Wait till you meet Dodger fans.

Chicken Dinner
11-15-2008, 07:21 AM
Wait till you meet Dodger fans.

I would still rather play the Dodgers 3 or 4 times instead of playing the Rockies and the D-backs 15 or 16 times.

Steelrod
11-15-2008, 09:34 AM
Add me in as happy! It will be nice not to make the 235 mile round trip any more.

soxwon
11-15-2008, 10:57 AM

voo did you ever drive to the grand canyon from phoenix?
it takes like 3-4 hours then you spend 4 ours at the Big Hole then drive back in the pitch black dark, unless you leave at 5 am your talkin long day.
its best to get a room in flagstaff after a day at the canyon!!!

voodoochile
11-15-2008, 11:44 AM
it takes like 3-4 hours then you spend 4 ours at the Big Hole then drive back in the pitch black dark, unless you leave at 5 am your talkin long day.

No, I've never been that way at all. Got family in CA, but never stopped in Phoenix/LV/GC area. Just saying, it's better than Tucson...

michned
11-15-2008, 11:46 AM
Personally, I'm selfishly disappointed, but it is a great move for the Sox. The Sox have done business down here for more than a decade now, and they know the city and county are run by amateur politicians. It is comical to see the county run away from a fight, even though they have a contractual commitment from the Sox in writing.

The Sox really aren't taking too much heat down here for this. It is the local governments that the citizens are angry at, and rightly so. Because of the decision to build the park where they did, they lost AAA baseball after 40 years, and are about to lose Spring Training. Nice going.

MarySwiss
11-15-2008, 04:19 PM

Not to mention that the weather in the Arizona High Country still can be pretty nasty in March. The Grand Canyon is best visited mid-summer.

BleacherBandit
11-16-2008, 03:48 PM
Meh, it was really convinient to watch ST in Tucson since we usually go to our grandmother's house during spring break. Now there's no reason to watch nothing-games 2 hours away this spring.

markopat
11-16-2008, 05:23 PM
HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!! that is almost 15 minutes closer for me that going to Tucson! LOL!!

WHOOP!!!!!!

doublem23
11-16-2008, 06:36 PM
Meh, it was really convinient to watch ST in Tucson since we usually go to our grandmother's house during spring break. Now there's no reason to watch nothing-games 2 hours away this spring.

Have you seen their new park? To check that out is reason enough to go, IMO.

Viva Medias B's
11-16-2008, 06:55 PM
The White Sox may have abandoned Tucson, but I have not. I just finished making my reservations for Tucson in 2009, and the White Sox have not been the prime reason I go to Tucson for many years. In fact, my prime interest is in Tucson that time of year is UA baseball. The White Sox brought me to Tucson for the first time in 1999, but the Old Pueblo captured me with its warmth and culture.

And if you think being "second fiddle" to the Diamondbacks was "inconvenient" for you, sharing Glendale with the Dodgers will be ten times worse. I can hear Ed Farmer complaining about "Dodgertown West" already!

Medford Bobby
11-16-2008, 07:14 PM
Personally, I'm selfishly disappointed, but it is a great move for the Sox. The Sox have done business down here for more than a decade now, and they know the city and county are run by amateur politicians. It is comical to see the county run away from a fight, even though they have a contractual commitment from the Sox in writing.

The Sox really aren't taking too much heat down here for this. It is the local governments that the citizens are angry at, and rightly so. Because of the decision to build the park where they did, they lost AAA baseball after 40 years, and are about to lose Spring Training. Nice going.

Ditto, everything you've said. There are pipe dreams of building a complex near Marana to get the D-Backs there, maybe Rockies too. But now with the econmy so bad, how could any local government commit to a new 100 million dollar complex today??:angry:

MarySwiss
11-17-2008, 06:52 AM
HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!! that is almost 15 minutes closer for me that going to Tucson! LOL!!

WHOOP!!!!!!

That's how I feel about it, too, and it's why I didn't really care either way. I was pumped a couple of years ago when it looked like they might replace the Angels in Tempe, but then that fell through. That would have been sweet. Nice stadium and about 15 minutes from my house.

Sockinchisox
11-18-2008, 12:25 PM
It's official, Pima County accepts the deal.

http://www.fox11az.com/news/topstories/stories/tucson-20081118-br-soxgone.1c572aaf7.html

11-18-2008, 12:39 PM
Part of the deal says the White Sox will still have to work to find another MLB team to take their place in Tucson. Lotsa luck with that. This was all about the $5M and getting this situation in the rear view mirror asap.

Any Florida based team (for spring training) would surely look to the Phoenix area if they desire a relocation to the Cactus League.

IMO it won't be long before the Diamondbacks and Rockies abandon Tucson as this White Sox move has given them an escape route.

ohthosechisox
11-18-2008, 04:41 PM
Iím actually super stoked about the Sox moving to the Phoenix area. I went to Tucson in Ď07, which was very nice, but half the fun of ST for my family was visiting the various ballparks (we also went to Scottsdale Stadium - Giants and Tempe Diablo - Angels). I don't think I'll be going to ST in '09 but hopefully within another couple of years! :smile:

Parrothead
11-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Count me in as dissapointed. I liked going to Bisbee and Tombstone and the caves in the area. I always flew into Phoenix, caught a game in the area and then made the trip down to Tucson. It is a nice drive.

Anyway, Tucson was easy to get around and seemed like a small town with a great college campus (much better then ASU). In addition, sharing the facility with the Dodgers will give the Sox even less of a presence. The Dodgers have a huge following. I wonder where and with who the Sox will move in with in 10 years.....

LoveYourSuit
11-18-2008, 07:28 PM
I want the Sox to move to the Disney complex in Orlando.... that's what my wife and kids want.

soxfanreggie
11-18-2008, 08:24 PM
I'm going to be selfish when I say this; I want them back in Sarasota. I think Sarasota is going to be willing to spend many millions to get a team in there.

AZChiSoxFan
11-18-2008, 08:38 PM
The White Sox may have abandoned Tucson, but I have not. I just finished making my reservations for Tucson in 2009, and the White Sox have not been the prime reason I go to Tucson for many years. In fact, my prime interest is in Tucson that time of year is UA baseball.

I don't know whether to post the "Rolling eyes" smilie or the "rolling on the ground laughing" dude.

UA baseball?!?!?! That's hilarious. Given the fact that even most ardent ua fans don't support the baseball team (they almost never get more than 500 fans to come out to a game) I find it amusing that you would travel all that way to see them. Tucson as a city has zero interest in baseball, whether it's AAA, spring training, or the u of a.

GREAT move for the Good Guys.

Medford Bobby
11-18-2008, 08:41 PM
I think the Astro's are the only team that makes sense to move closer to Texas. The rest of the east coast teams are staying close to that coast.
I think every team in Florida has commitments for many years into 20-teeens.....but ya never know?:mad:

longtimesoxguy
11-18-2008, 08:47 PM
I don't know whether to post the "Rolling eyes" smilie or the "rolling on the ground laughing" dude.

UA baseball?!?!?! That's hilarious. Given the fact that even most ardent ua fans don't support the baseball team (they almost never get more than 500 fans to come out to a game) I find it amusing that you would travel all that way to see them. Tucson as a city has zero interest in baseball, whether it's AAA, spring training, or the u of a.

GREAT move for the Good Guys. I don't know when the last time you have been to a U of A baseball game, but there is interest in the program. Rich Lopez has the program running strong and they're national contenders. So if someone has interest in U of A baseball let them enjoy.

Parrothead
11-18-2008, 09:41 PM

Tucson also has the Tucson Toros now. They are a Golden Baseball League team. They will be playing in Hi Corbett Field.

Viva Medias B's
11-19-2008, 07:43 AM
Count me in as dissapointed. I liked going to Bisbee and Tombstone and the caves in the area. I always flew into Phoenix, caught a game in the area and then made the trip down to Tucson. It is a nice drive.

Anyway, Tucson was easy to get around and seemed like a small town with a great college campus (much better then ASU). In addition, sharing the facility with the Dodgers will give the Sox even less of a presence. The Dodgers have a huge following. I wonder where and with who the Sox will move in with in 10 years.....

Couldn't have said it better myself. We will a miniscule presence in "Dodgertown West."

GREAT move for the Good Guys.

Typical Sun Devil response.

I don't know when the last time you have been to a U of A baseball game, but there is interest in the program. Rich Lopez has the program running strong and they're national contenders. So if someone has interest in U of A baseball let them enjoy.

I think you meant Andy Lopez, and you are right that he has UA baseball going in the right direction. They came this/close Omaha and beating heavily favored Miami in the Super Regionals last year. General interest in UA baseball these days is much larger than it was years ago.

Here is today's Arizona Daily Star article (http://www.azstarnet.com/dailystar/267857) on the move.

Chicken Dinner
11-19-2008, 07:53 AM
Best White Sox off season news so far. This facility will be the best in the country, both for fans and players.

Scottiehaswheels
11-19-2008, 08:20 AM
As much as I like the move, I hate to say that I hate the Sox negotiated the buyout down to 5 mil from the original 12 mil. I hate when people sign contracts, and then try to wriggle out of them; when if it benefitted themselves, there would be no way for the other party to back out. If you can't abide by a contract, DON'T SIGN IT! :angry:

11-19-2008, 08:52 AM
Here is today's Arizona Daily Star article (http://www.azstarnet.com/dailystar/267857) on the move.

Interesting note in that article ... the White Sox have pledged to play one charity game per year at TEP in Tucson. I presume that means through 2012.

I'm sure the White Sox will still travel to Tucson to play the Rockies and Diamondbacks ... so probably 2-3 Tucson games per spring (total) as long as those two teams are still there.

An article in the Denver Post commented on the Rockies reaction to the White Sox move. They don't plan on staying at Hi Corbett past 2011, when their lease expires. At the moment, they've got no other options but my guess is that'll change.

Viva Medias B's
11-19-2008, 09:12 AM
According to the Tucson Citizen, the Diamondbacks are now expressing (http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/daily/breakingnews/103013.php) an interest to ditch Tucson for the Valley in the wake of the White Sox departure. Also, here is the Citizen article (http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/ss/related/102971) on the White Sox move itself.

doublem23
11-19-2008, 09:12 AM
I'm sure the White Sox will still travel to Tucson to play the Rockies and Diamondbacks ... so probably 2-3 Tucson games per spring (total) as long as those two teams are still there.

An article in the Denver Post commented on the Rockies reaction to the White Sox move. They don't plan on staying at Hi Corbett past 2011, when their lease expires. At the moment, they've got no other options but my guess is that'll change.

IIRC, both the D'backs and Rockies had clauses in their contract with Tucson that allowed them to bail if less than 3 teams were using the facility.

If that's true, this will be the last year for MLB Spring Training in Tucson.

11-19-2008, 09:16 AM
IIRC, both the D'backs and Rockies had clauses in their contract with Tucson that allowed them to bail if less than 3 teams were using the facility.

If that's true, this will be the last year for MLB Spring Training in Tucson.

I tend to agree on one level, but there's the issue of practicality.

At the moment, there's nowhere else for the Rockies and Diamondbacks to play. The Arizona Sports Authority is tapped out, the new facility in Goodyear is just getting built and there are no other stadiums on the front burner.

I'm sure both teams are looking at options with a sense of urgency, but I don't see either the Rockies or DBacks bailing out of Tucson until after 2011 when the Rockies lease expires.

kobo
11-19-2008, 09:37 AM
My parents bought a house in Queen Creek about 5 years ago, so travelling to Tucson or to the Phoenix area is about the same for us when we are down there. I honestly could care less where the Sox play as my dad, brother and I try to get to as many stadiums and see as many teams as we can when we are there. That's the fun of spring training, in my opinion.

11-19-2008, 09:40 AM
My parents bought a house in Queen Creek about 5 years ago

Long live San Tan Flats, a great bar/burger/steak place on Hunt Highway. My father is out in Queen Creek too.

MarySwiss
11-19-2008, 09:54 AM
I tend to agree on one level, but there's the issue of practicality.

At the moment, there's nowhere else for the Rockies and Diamondbacks to play. The Arizona Sports Authority is tapped out, the new facility in Goodyear is just getting built and there are no other stadiums on the front burner.

I'm sure both teams are looking at options with a sense of urgency, but I don't see either the Rockies or DBacks bailing out of Tucson until after 2011 when the Rockies lease expires.

An article in today's Republic says that there's a possibility that a two-team facility might be built on the Gila River reservation near the Wild Horse Pass casino. In other words, about three miles from my house. Hmmm...

kobo
11-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Long live San Tan Flats, a great bar/burger/steak place on Hunt Highway. My father is out in Queen Creek too.
That place is great! It's about 10 minutes from my parents house.

11-19-2008, 10:02 AM
An article in today's Republic says that there's a possibility that a two-team facility might be built on the Gila River reservation near the Wild Horse Pass casino. In other words, about three miles from my house. Hmmm...

Yeah, I saw that ... that's Chandler, right?

One of the articles said the DBacks want to put pen to paper shortly after the New Year because it takes 18-24 months to build a new facility. That'd line up for spring 2011 if things move really fast, or spring 2012 with a little time built in.

Either way, I would say after the Rockies lease expires at Hi Corbett in 2011, it's all over for Tucson spring training.

MarySwiss
11-19-2008, 10:53 AM
Yeah, I saw that ... that's Chandler, right?

One of the articles said the DBacks want to put pen to paper shortly after the New Year because it takes 18-24 months to build a new facility. That'd line up for spring 2011 if things move really fast, or spring 2012 with a little time built in.

Either way, I would say after the Rockies lease expires at Hi Corbett in 2011, it's all over for Tucson spring training.

Well, it's actually Indian land, but it borders Chandler. The new Wild Horse Pass casino is on Kyrene just south of the new San Tan loop of the 202. Very convenient to Queen Creek, if that's where they're building it. Or they might be figuring to site it off I-10 near Rawhide and the Sheraton resort, where the original casino is.

Either way, it's pretty exciting stuff for the Southeast Valley.

oeo
11-20-2008, 06:09 PM
The new facility has been named Camelback Ranch. (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081120&content_id=3686930&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

Viva Medias B's
11-20-2008, 07:47 PM
The new facility has been named Camelback Ranch. (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081120&content_id=3686930&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

Its de facto name will be "Dodgertown West" IMHO. If you don't believe me, you will if and when you go down there next spring.

canOcorn
11-20-2008, 11:00 PM
Its de facto name will be "Dodgertown West" IMHO. If you don't believe me, you will if and when you go down there next spring.

Still better than......
http://www.hanselman.com/blog/content/binary/tumbleweed_small.jpg

thomas35forever
11-20-2008, 11:42 PM
How can it be Dodgertown West when Dodgertown is actually west of Glendale? Wouldn't it be Dodgertown East?:scratch:

oeo
11-20-2008, 11:48 PM

Oh well. :shrug:

manders_01
11-20-2008, 11:54 PM
How can it be Dodgertown West when Dodgertown is actually west of Glendale? Wouldn't it be Dodgertown East?:scratch:

That's what I've been wondering too. Glad to see I wasn't the only one. :D:

oeo
11-21-2008, 12:00 AM

That's what I've been wondering too. Glad to see I wasn't the only one. :D:

Dodgertown was the name of their training facility in Florida.

manders_01
11-21-2008, 12:25 AM
Dodgertown was the name of their training facility in Florida.

Ahhhh - things are beginning to make more sense now. :redface:

Chicken Dinner
11-21-2008, 09:55 AM

Obviously you don't know the difference between Florida spring training and Arizona spring training. :dunno:

The Dodgers and White Sox will play 3 games against each other this spring. The White Sox will be the Home team 2 of those, meaning Sox season ticket holders prevail.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Sox out draw the Dodgers for home games.

chisox117
11-21-2008, 03:42 PM
Looks like the new ST facility finally has a name: "Camelback Ranch"

http://www.azcentral.com/community/glendale/articles/2008/11/21/20081121gl-dodgers1121-ON.html

soxrepublican
11-21-2008, 04:25 PM
Great! It will be easier to fly in. I wonder if American flies to Phoenix

Chicken Dinner
11-21-2008, 04:30 PM
Great! It will be easier to fly in. I wonder if American flies to Phoenix

AA, UAL, US Airways, and Southwest all have non-stops from Chicago.

AZChiSoxFan
11-21-2008, 04:46 PM
I wonder if American flies to Phoenix

:?: Seriously? Phx is the 5th largest city in the U.S. you know.

MarySwiss
11-21-2008, 05:12 PM
Ahhhh - things are beginning to make more sense now. :redface:

:?: Seriously? Phx is the 5th largest city in the U.S. you know.

Okay, you guys; is it too soon to plan a get-together? Markopat is down for one, and Spawn was talking about coming out here again also. And I know Manders will be all over it. Possibly Ode as well?

I'm suggesting that we concentrate our efforts on the Sox/Cubs matchup at the new facility. I hope they keep it at St. Pat's weekend, but whatever. That seems to be the matchup that draws the most fans of both teams. Although there's a lot to be said for going to HoHoKam as a group, but HoHokam, IMO, is one of the worst venues in the Valley (and not because it's the Cubs. It's just murder to get into and out of).

AZChiSoxFan
11-21-2008, 05:20 PM
Okay, you guys; is it too soon to plan a get-together? Markopat is down for one, and Spawn was talking about coming out here again also. And I know Manders will be all over it. Possibly Ode as well?

I'm suggesting that we concentrate our efforts on the Sox/Cubs matchup at the new facility. I hope they keep it at St. Pat's weekend, but whatever. That seems to be the matchup that draws the most fans of both teams. Although there's a lot to be said for going to HoHoKam as a group, but HoHokam, IMO, is one of the worst venues in the Valley (and not because it's the Cubs. It's just murder to get into and out of).

Sounds good to me!

MarySwiss
11-21-2008, 05:27 PM
Sounds good to me!

Cool! As soon as they post more info, let's all chat about who/what/when. I usually like to score lawn seats because you can move around and watch from all angles, but if they offer some kind of box plan, we might want to grab it. And I'm pretty sure I can get Skip of Skip and Jan's to buy in as well, probably some others.

With so many of us in the Valley, we might be able to work some kind of package deal. Could be tough first year, though. But we'll see.

WOO-HOO! Spring is just a few short months away! :D:

soxrepublican
11-21-2008, 05:46 PM

Thanks for the info. Great to hear I can fly non-stop to phx from ord!

TDog
11-21-2008, 05:51 PM
Obviously you don't know the difference between Florida spring training and Arizona spring training. :dunno:

The Dodgers and White Sox will play 3 games against each other this spring. The White Sox will be the Home team 2 of those, meaning Sox season ticket holders prevail.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Sox out draw the Dodgers for home games.

It would shock me.

The Sox won't attract many fans in Glendale. The Dodgers will. Other West Coast teams will be a bigger draw for the games. The Dodgers will be the huge draw. The Cubs, when they play in Glendale, will be a bigger draw than the Sox.

If you are planning on seeing the Sox play in Glendale in the spring, it should be an easy ticket if they aren't playing the Dodgers or the Cubs.

It would be worst, of course, if the Sox were playing in the East Valley, where they would be in the shadow of the Cubs. The airport is more convenient to the East Valely, though. Gendale will attract more Dodger fans in Los Angeles will be able to drive up I-10 than it will Sox fans braving Phoenix' cross-town traffic from Sky Harbor. And I expect more Docger fans than Sox fans to fly in to Phoenix for spring training. And, of course, there are a lot of native Arizonans who were big Dodgers fans before the Diamondbacks.

The Sox will be every bit the second-class team in Glendale that they have been in Tucson. They aren't the only team in town. They have no tradition in the Valley. I wouldn't be surpirsed if it is worse.

soxwon
11-21-2008, 07:11 PM
A friend in Phoenix, who knows people in the dodger organization, says that Ticket prices for the dodgers in glendale will be almost double the prices of other teams.
a 15 buck box seat will cost $30, the seats behind the screen are only going to spring training season holders, they will cost $1400 for 15 games.
about 90 bucks a piece.
you ask so what? well the sox are going with the same prices.
The dodgers are HUGE in Phoenix area, and the sox are Obama's team, so they expect EVERY game to be sold out.
so save your $ its gonna be costly. almost the same prices as MLB stadium prices.

Prices likely to be $18, $24 $26 $36 and $90.

manders_01
11-21-2008, 07:54 PM

You know I'm down! :D:

My preferred weekend as well.

Sounds good to me!

Cool! As soon as they post more info, let's all chat about who/what/when. I usually like to score lawn seats because you can move around and watch from all angles, but if they offer some kind of box plan, we might want to grab it. And I'm pretty sure I can get Skip of Skip and Jan's to buy in as well, probably some others.

With so many of us in the Valley, we might be able to work some kind of package deal. Could be tough first year, though. But we'll see.

WOO-HOO! Spring is just a few short months away! :D:

My preferred seating as well. But if we could get a box, that would be totally cool. I vote for pre-game tailgating too!

:bandance: Can't wait!!!

MarySwiss
11-22-2008, 02:02 PM
Well, this no doubt will be interesting. We'll have to keep our eyes open for when the tickets go on sale.

Too bad there's no Salerno's in the West Valley; we could hit the game then go get some decent pizza. But as Manders said, there's always tailgating. I hope they don't have some kind of bull**** rule against it because it's a new stadium.

TDog
11-22-2008, 02:31 PM
The dodgers are HUGE in Phoenix area, and the sox are Obama's team, so they expect EVERY game to be sold out.
so save your $ its gonna be costly. almost the same prices as MLB stadium prices.

Prices likely to be $18, $24 $26 $36 and $90.

When I lived in Arizona, I went to quite a few exhibition games in Yuma (which no longer hosts spring training), metropolitan Phoenix and Tucson. I didn't even have to pay to see the Giants in Scottsdale, as a friend got me two passes a television station wasn't using. I even got free food and drink. I would never pay the above prices to see an exhibition game. The teams don't play to win. The best players often don't play much at all. What makes spring games fun is being in a cozy minor-league ballpark and not paying much to see the games, which, of course, don't count.

I also doubt that the president being a White Sox fan will in any way affect attendance. I have no doubt there will be Dodgers fans who will pay such prices -- maybe $18 a head to sit on the outfield lawn they are bound to have at the park. I don't see White Sox fans paying such prices in great numbers.

MarySwiss
11-22-2008, 03:08 PM
When I lived in Arizona, I went to quite a few exhibition games in Yuma (which no longer hosts spring training), metropolitan Phoenix and Tucson. I didn't even have to pay to see the Giants in Scottsdale, as a friend got me two passes a television station wasn't using. I even got free food and drink. I would never pay the above prices to see an exhibition game. The teams don't play to win. The best players often don't play much at all. What makes spring games fun is being in a cozy minor-league ballpark and not paying much to see the games, which, of course, don't count.

I also doubt that the president being a White Sox fan will in any way affect attendance. I have no doubt there will be Dodgers fans who will pay such prices -- maybe $18 a head to sit on the outfield lawn they are bound to have at the park. I don't see White Sox fans paying such prices in great numbers.

I wouldn't hesitate to pay that for one moment. Who cares if they don't play to win? It's about springtime baseball, seeing up-and-coming players, partying with fellow Sox fans, and having fun in the sun.

TDog
11-22-2008, 03:26 PM
I wouldn't hesitate to pay that for one moment. Who cares if they don't play to win? It's about springtime baseball, seeing up-and-coming players, partying with fellow Sox fans, and having fun in the sun.

The suggested exhibition game prices are ridiculous. You can get closer to the players and get more out of watching workouts than you can watching exhibition games. The suggested prices go a long way to discouraging families and limiting how many exhibition games they will see.

I don't see why people believe things will be that different in Glendale. The White Sox will still be a distant second in popularity in their own facility. There will be more bars available for fans, more golf courses, but Phoenix isn't as much a destination city as Tucson is. (I don't drink or golf, but you can drink or golf in Tucson, of course -- although they re cormmend you don't drink and drive. I guess putting while intoxicated is OK.) You have fewer interesting day trips available from Phoenix, and Phoenix doesn't have the arts scene Tucson does. Phoenix is a much more congested city. At the suggested prices for tickets, you might be better off catching the Sox in places like Scottsdale on the other side of town and ignoring their complex altogether. You could have done that last spring.

soxwon
11-22-2008, 03:43 PM
[.[/quote]

I wouldn't hesitate to pay that for one moment. Who cares if they don't play to win? It's about springtime baseball, seeing up-and-coming players, partying with fellow Sox fans, and having fun in the sun.[/quote]

spoken like a true die hard sox fan, mary your da greatest!!!!

MarySwiss
11-22-2008, 04:00 PM
The suggested exhibition game prices are ridiculous. You can get closer to the players and get more out of watching workouts than you can watching exhibition games. The suggested prices go a long way to discouraging families and limiting how many exhibition games they will see.

I don't see why people believe things will be that different in Glendale. The White Sox will still be a distant second in popularity in their own facility. There will be more bars available for fans, more golf courses, but Phoenix isn't as much a destination city as Tucson is. (I don't drink or golf, but you can drink or golf in Tucson, of course -- although they re cormmend you don't drink and drive. I guess putting while intoxicated is OK.) You have fewer interesting day trips available from Phoenix, and Phoenix doesn't have the arts scene Tucson does. Phoenix is a much more congested city. At the suggested prices for tickets, you might be better off catching the Sox in places like Scottsdale on the other side of town and ignoring their complex altogether. You could have done that last spring.

TDog, thanks for the suggestions, but I LIVE HERE NOW! I know quite well what venues are available. I always catch the Sox when they come out to Tempe Diablo to play the Angels. Scottsdale is almost as much of a nightmare to get in and out of as Ho-Ho-Kam is, so no thanks.

I fully intend to go to the workouts, just as I did when they were in Tucson. I will also go to games, for the reasons I already gave--camaraderie, seeing up-and-coming players, etc.

And do you honestly believe that Tucson is more of a destination city than Phoenix? I don't have figures available, but I would doubt this. As far as day trips from Tucson, Tombstone is interesting, although a major tourist trap. And I love the Sonoran Desert Museum.

But rumor has it that there are a few interesting day trips available from Phoenix as well. Like Sedona. Or Prescott. Or the Apache Trail. Or the Mogollon Rim. And although I do not recommend that visitors travel to the Grand Canyon in early spring, we all know which city is closer in case they want to.

I don't mean to reignite the endless "Phoenix vs. Tucson" debate, but I daresay that, by-and-large, people who travel to Arizona for Spring Training don't really care that Tucson has a better arts scene. They probably are more interested in seeing baseball.

manders_01
11-22-2008, 04:15 PM

I know for me, I'd pay that much because it's still cheaper for me than going to Chicago. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather be at a regular season game but spring training allows me to see the Sox, up close (even at those prices, I'll sit closer for cheaper) and my flight, hotel and tickets are typically less expensive than going to Chicago. For me, it's the affordable way to see the Sox. If I get to see them during the regular season, total bonus, but typically, spring training's all I get.

MarySwiss
11-22-2008, 06:03 PM
I know for me, I'd pay that much because it's still cheaper for me than going to Chicago. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather be at a regular season game but spring training allows me to see the Sox, up close (even at those prices, I'll sit closer for cheaper) and my flight, hotel and tickets are typically less expensive than going to Chicago. For me, it's the affordable way to see the Sox. If I get to see them during the regular season, total bonus, but typically, spring training's all I get.
Well, Manders; I think you nailed it. There are Sox fans who live here or near here who make a decent living, and who enjoy the spring training experience. I usually get to one game back home, so dropping a few dollars to see my Sox and enjoy the company of Sox fans that I don't see often--like you, Spawn, Ode, AzChiSoxfan--is worth it for me.

Viva Medias B's
11-22-2008, 07:08 PM
I don't mean to reignite the endless "Phoenix vs. Tucson" debate, but I daresay that, by-and-large, people who travel to Arizona for Spring Training don't really care that Tucson has a better arts scene. They probably are more interested in seeing baseball.

But will you still travel to Tucson to dine at Mama Louisa's?

TDog
11-22-2008, 08:12 PM
TDog, thanks for the suggestions, but I LIVE HERE NOW! I know quite well what venues are available. I always catch the Sox when they come out to Tempe Diablo to play the Angels. Scottsdale is almost as much of a nightmare to get in and out of as Ho-Ho-Kam is, so no thanks.

I fully intend to go to the workouts, just as I did when they were in Tucson. I will also go to games, for the reasons I already gave--camaraderie, seeing up-and-coming players, etc.

And do you honestly believe that Tucson is more of a destination city than Phoenix? I don't have figures available, but I would doubt this. As far as day trips from Tucson, Tombstone is interesting, although a major tourist trap. And I love the Sonoran Desert Museum.

But rumor has it that there are a few interesting day trips available from Phoenix as well. Like Sedona. Or Prescott. Or the Apache Trail. Or the Mogollon Rim. And although I do not recommend that visitors travel to the Grand Canyon in early spring, we all know which city is closer in case they want to.

Parking in Scottsdale is a monumental hassle, and the park isn't anything special. Giants fans will tell you about balls that Mays and McCovey hit there, and maybe some of what they say is true. Still, I'm sure the civic organization that sponsors spring training in Scottsdale doesn't gouge the fans. It's unfortunate that the people in Glendale apparently believe it's necessary to gouge White Sox fans.

If baseball is all you're interested in, spring training makes a city a destination city, of course. People here used to post about how they wanted more. Tucson probably offers more for people who are interested in more than baseball. If you're interested in doing things at night, beyond getting drunk, you're probably better off in Tucson. In addition to baseball, Sarasota offered beaches, which neither Phoenix or Tucson has. The visitor rates for Arizona cities is skewed by snowbirds who spend the winter in mobile homes and consider a nearby Wal-Mart a cultural advantage. The Grand Canyon certainly isn't a March day trip out of Phoenix. Neither are Arizona's two visited Arizona attractions -- Lake Powell and the London Bridge in Lake Havasu City. I have driven all over the state. Mexico, Bisbee and several national monuments are closer to Tucson. I prefer the museums in Tucson. Of course, Tucson is a day trip out of Phoenix.

But if all you're interested in is in the baseball, comparisons between Phoenix and Tucson don't matter. The major difference between Tucson and Glendale, on the west side of Phoenix, seems that Glendale will be much more expensive.

I just think it's unfortunate.

Chicken Dinner
11-22-2008, 09:13 PM
Parking in Scottsdale is a monumental hassle, and the park isn't anything special. Giants fans will tell you about balls that Mays and McCovey hit there, and maybe some of what they say is true. Still, I'm sure the civic organization that sponsors spring training in Scottsdale doesn't gouge the fans. It's unfortunate that the people in Glendale apparently believe it's necessary to gouge White Sox fans.

If baseball is all you're interested in, spring training makes a city a destination city, of course. People here used to post about how they wanted more. Tucson probably offers more for people who are interested in more than baseball. If you're interested in doing things at night, beyond getting drunk, you're probably better off in Tucson. In addition to baseball, Sarasota offered beaches, which neither Phoenix or Tucson has. The visitor rates for Arizona cities is skewed by snowbirds who spend the winter in mobile homes and consider a nearby Wal-Mart a cultural advantage. The Grand Canyon certainly isn't a March day trip out of Phoenix. Neither are Arizona's two visited Arizona attractions -- Lake Powell and the London Bridge in Lake Havasu City. I have driven all over the state. Mexico, Bisbee and several national monuments are closer to Tucson. I prefer the museums in Tucson. Of course, Tucson is a day trip out of Phoenix.

But if all you're interested in is in the baseball, comparisons between Phoenix and Tucson don't matter. The major difference between Tucson and Glendale, on the west side of Phoenix, seems that Glendale will be much more expensive.

I just think it's unfortunate.

The White Sox will be spring training in Glendale............GET OVER IT!!

TDog
11-22-2008, 11:12 PM
The White Sox will be spring training in Glendale............GET OVER IT!!

I am over it. The move was inevitable because Jerry Reinsdorf wanted to be closer to his team. I don't even really care much. I was fortunate enough to see the White Sox train in Tucson at more affordable prices and have no intention to spend any more vacation time watching spring training games. I spent last week in Hawaii and found it exponentially more satisfying than watching exhibition baseball.

I understand that people who live in the Phoenix area are excited that the Sox will be coming to town. But for the those smug residents of the state of Maricopa who found Tucson beneath them and the out-of-staters who have been demanding that the White Sox train in the Phoenix area instead of learning to enjoy what is special about Tucson, I don't feel sorry that you'll have to pay major league prices for games where people are just getting work in.

My point is that it's too bad that fans who fly down to spring training in the future will have to deal with the added inconveniences and expenses of Glendale, where people will care even less about the White Sox than people have cared about them in Tucson.

MarySwiss
11-23-2008, 08:46 AM
But will you still travel to Tucson to dine at Mama Louisa's?

I wouldn't travel down to Tucson on a regular basis just to dine at Mama Louisa's, but I would make a point of going there when I was in the area for some other reason, such as taking visitors to the Sonoran Desert Museum.

Mama Louisa's is excellent, but there also are--believe it or not--some pretty fair Italian restaurants in the Phoenix area.