PDA

View Full Version : no poll, how about your favorite KW trades

ode to veeck
11-14-2008, 10:19 AM
starting with Caballo for Pods. Carlos is still great and one of our all trime favorite Cub Killas (remember the 3 run walk off?) but this trade set up the '05 championship like no other. We also got Vizcaino out of the deal another cirital cog in the big white machine

esbrechtel
11-14-2008, 10:23 AM
whimpy McCarthy for Danks AND Masset (who we turned for Griffey)

chisoxmike
11-14-2008, 10:23 AM
Lee for Pods

Olivo & Reed for Freddy Garcia

Rowand for Thome

McCarthy for Danks

VeeckAsInWreck
11-14-2008, 10:25 AM
David Wells for Mike Sirotka

Seriously, Carlos Quentin for Chris Carter. To trade a double-A first baseman for an MVP candidate is amazing.

In Kenny I trust, and the more I think about the Swish for Betemit, Nuņez and Marquez deal the more I like it. I really do.

Thome25
11-14-2008, 10:27 AM
I listed these but, I like 'em all in no particular order:

1.) Rowand For Thome

2.) Reed and Olivio for Freddy Garcia

3.) Freddy Garcia for Gio AND Gavin Floyd

4.) McCarthy For Danks AND Masset

5.) Lee for Pods and Vizcaino

6.) TCQ trade

MeteorsSox4367
11-14-2008, 10:27 AM
Getting TCQ. The Sox now have their left fielder for the next 10 years. TCQ is a stud who should have been their AL MVP this year.

chisoxmike
11-14-2008, 10:28 AM
Aw ****, how could I forget the Quentin trade? :scratch:

ode to veeck
11-14-2008, 10:29 AM
David Wells for Mike Sirotka

Seriously, Carlos Quentin for Chris Carter. To trade a double-A first baseman for an MVP candidate is amazing.

In Kenny I trust, and the more I think about the Swish for Betemit, Nuņez and Marquez deal the more I like it. I really do.

good one

Rockabilly
11-14-2008, 10:30 AM
McCarthy for Danks/ Masset

Carter for CQ is my 2nd choice

VeeckAsInWreck
11-14-2008, 10:32 AM
good one

Thanks, I also considered Todd Ritchie for Kip Wells and Josh Fogg. :redneck

ode to veeck
11-14-2008, 11:30 AM
how about Esteban Loaiza for Jose Contreras plus $$, one of kenny's most astute deals ever

CashMan
11-14-2008, 11:32 AM
Olivo & Reed for Freddy Garcia

Don't forget, we got Ben "I can't beat out Chris Widger" Davis too!

doublem23
11-14-2008, 11:48 AM
My fav is still the Colon deal he pulled off in 2003. Got the most coveted pitcher in the league for scraps. Sent a loud and clear message that has guided his tenure as GM: We're not ****ing around.

palehozenychicty
11-14-2008, 11:51 AM
My fav is still the Colon deal he pulled off in 2003. Got the most coveted pitcher in the league for scraps. Sent a loud and clear message that has guided his tenure as GM: We're not ****ing around.

Exactly. I loved that trade the second it happened too. We would have been a tough out in the postseason if they had gotten in with a rotation of Buehrle, Colon, Loaiza.

Of course, Colon and Loaiza were good that year, thus my argument. :D:

doublem23
11-14-2008, 12:08 PM
Exactly. I loved that trade the second it happened too. We would have been a tough out in the postseason if they had gotten in with a rotation of Buehrle, Colon, Loaiza.

Of course, Colon and Loaiza were good that year, thus my argument. :D:

If only that '03 team could have had a mediocre 5th starter, they would have made the play-offs and then who knows?

Dan Wright, Josh Stewart, Mike Porzio, Neal Cotts... Jesus.

DSpivack
11-14-2008, 12:40 PM
If only that '03 team could have had a mediocre 5th starter, they would have made the play-offs and then who knows?

Dan Wright, Josh Stewart, Mike Porzio, Neal Cotts... Jesus.

If only he could have served as a 5th starter that year! And I'm Jewish!

JB98
11-14-2008, 12:51 PM
Reed, Olivo and Morse for Freddy Garcia. Awesome, awesome trade. I knew it was genius the day it was made, too. That was a great day: The Sox beat the Cubs, and we got Freddy Garcia.

Honorable mention: Loaiza for Contreras.

Those two moves are the biggest reasons we have World Series hats and T-Shirts from 2005.

jdm2662
11-14-2008, 12:52 PM
Reed, Olivo and Morse for Freddy Garcia. Awesome, awesome trade. I knew it was genius the day it was made, too. That was a great day: The Sox beat the Cubs, and we got Freddy Garcia.

Check out the thread here when that trade happened... I was in favor of the trade from the get go. After how Reed turned out, I will never listen to hype of a prospect again.

doublem23
11-14-2008, 12:54 PM
Check out the thread here when that trade happened... I was in favor of the trade from the get go. After how Reed turned out, I will never listen to hype of a prospect again.

That thread was one of the best we've ever had here. Wow, that was utter pandemonium.

JB98
11-14-2008, 12:55 PM

Oh, I remember the thread. People here were crying tears of unfathomable sorrow over the loss of Miguel Olivo.

When you have the chance to acquire a top-of-the-rotation pitcher, you go for it. Freddy was one of the guys who delivered for us in 2005. That and the Contreras move were just great, great trades.

35th and Shields
11-14-2008, 01:09 PM
Oh, I remember the thread. People here were crying tears of unfathomable sorrow over the loss of Miguel Olivo.

When you have the chance to acquire a top-of-the-rotation pitcher, you go for it. Freddy was one of the guys who delivered for us in 2005. That and the Contreras move were just great, great trades.

Olivo also hit a game-winning home run in that game if I remember correctly.

doublem23
11-14-2008, 02:06 PM
Olivo also hit a game-winning home run in that game if I remember correctly.

No, the Sox pounded the Cubs in Miggy's last game here, but he did hit a homer in the 2nd off Maddux. He didn't even finish the game.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200406270.shtml

Gammons Peter
11-14-2008, 02:10 PM
My all time favorite Kenny trade was when we traded James Baldwin to the Dodgers for a guy named Barry? turns out there were two guys in the Dodgers system named Barry so we got the wrong one (turns out they both sucked)
I don't remember all of the details but it was pathetic and he should have been fired on the spot

HomeFish
11-14-2008, 02:12 PM
I hated the Freddy Garcia trade so much when it happened. I was so sure that Olivo would be a perennial All-Star, and I was heartbroken when I heard that we were giving him up for two months of a starting pitcher in a season in which we probably were not going to win the division anyway.

The extension of Freddy, obviously, changed that analysis.

35th and Shields
11-14-2008, 02:19 PM
No, the Sox pounded the Cubs in Miggy's last game here, but he did hit a homer in the 2nd off Maddux. He didn't even finish the game.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200406270.shtml

yea for some reason I thought it was more meaningful. Probably because I love when we beat the cubs.

Bucky F. Dent
11-14-2008, 02:32 PM
TCQ for Carter.

whitesox901
11-14-2008, 03:06 PM
Carter-Quenton

Rowand-Thome

ode to veeck
11-15-2008, 10:24 AM
That thread was one of the best we've ever had here. Wow, that was utter pandemonium.

LOL that trade was a winner from the get go, and the thread rediculous and people complain about BA and Aaron love around here lol

ode to veeck
11-15-2008, 10:25 AM
My all time favorite Kenny trade was when we traded James Baldwin to the Dodgers for a guy named Barry? turns out there were two guys in the Dodgers system named Barry so we got the wrong one (turns out they both sucked)
I don't remember all of the details but it was pathetic and he should have been fired on the spot

this one should be in the bad trades thread except that Baldwin was done and worth a bag of balls anyway

oldcomiskey
11-16-2008, 12:47 AM
and wasnt worth too much more than that before. Its kinda like what my dad said about one of my moms cousins one times. Hes useless when hes drunk and intolerable when hes sober

Konerko05
11-16-2008, 02:16 AM
Brandon Mccarthy for John Danks and Nick Masset.

Chris Carter for Carlos Quentin.

Hopefully Danks and Quentin are the centerpieces to the White Sox organization for the next 10 years. Beyond brilliant moves.

LoveYourSuit
11-16-2008, 02:25 AM

That's the trade that marked Kenny as the GM he now is, IMO a top 5 GM in all of baseball.

But for my top of the list you have to go with the Contreras and the Garcia trade. Any trade that help build that '05 rotation is at the top because end result was a WS championship

So:

1. Contreras trade
2. Garcia trade
3. Pods trade

4. Colon - Becuase of the significance of what it meant for Kenny as a GM
5. Danks - ahead of Quentin because he has a chance to be the new Johan of the AL Central
6. TCQ
7. Gavin
8. Thornton for Borchard
9. Thome
10. Cotts - the "throw - in" in the Billy Koch deal
11. 2nd Carl Everett trade - he was big with Frank Thomas hurt
12. Uribe for Aaron Miles