PDA

View Full Version : Why White Sox Baseball Means So Much to You

beasly213
11-13-2008, 03:46 PM
With it being a slow time right now with the exception of all the crazy trade rumors I thought I'd share why the White Sox mean so much to me.

Like many others I'd assume I was introduced to the White Sox by my dad. He grew up in the back of the yards neighborhood and was a Sox fan growing up.

When I was younger my dad and I weren't very close, mostly because I was intimidated by him and because he worked so much. But his boss had season tickets to the White Sox and nearly every Wednesday Home game and Sunday home game we got to go to the game. I saw a lot of bad teams and some bad games but everyone of them was a blast.

Walking up the ramps and the smells of the stadium is something I have clear memories of at any given time. My dad would give me $10.00 every game we went to do buy food or whatever else and would explain to me about how some of the old players used to play and at what position. We shared high fives for walk off home runs and hand shurgs at poor play on the field.

Now that I'm older and able to take him to games for some reason I still picture myself as the 9 year old kid who is looking up at his dad for some money for a hot dog.

The White Sox aren't just a team for me to cheer for they're a passion I share with my dad. I love the White Sox and I always will.

What about you guys? Why are the White Sox so important to you?

LITTLE NELL
11-13-2008, 04:25 PM
The White Sox are and have always been since the early 50s like family to me. They are in my blood and my passion runs deep. Funny thing is the older I get(almost 63) that passion gets stronger. My wife thinks I'm crazy but I was born in the city and she was from the far north suburbs and her family never ventured into the evil city. They had no idea where old Comiskey was located, while I could get there blindfolded.

WhiteSox5187
11-13-2008, 05:00 PM
Because everytime they take the field it is the age old battle of good (White Sox) vs. evil. Why do you think Hawk calls them "Good guys"?

Daver
11-13-2008, 05:05 PM
Why do you think Hawk calls them "Good guys"?

Because Ken can't be accused of being overly bright?

kitekrazy
11-13-2008, 07:08 PM
The White Sox are and have always been since the early 50s like family to me. They are in my blood and my passion runs deep. Funny thing is the older I get(almost 63) that passion gets stronger. My wife thinks I'm crazy but I was born in the city and she was from the far north suburbs and her family never ventured into the evil city. They had no idea where old Comiskey was located, while I could get there blindfolded.

You even got to witness a World Series victory in your lifetime.

I still miss the old park.

LITTLE NELL
11-13-2008, 07:32 PM
You even got to witness a World Series victory in your lifetime.

I still miss the old park.
I do too, it was always a thrill to see those light towers from the Dan Ryan elevated bridge about a mile north of the ballpark. Then you went through the gate and got a whiff of hot dogs or Polish sausage as Nancy was playing a great song on her organ.
Also witnessed a World Series loss in 59(game 2 vs LAD).

longtimesoxguy
11-13-2008, 07:54 PM
Wow. My father was a season ticket holder for 26 yrs. My first memories of growing up were going too and watching Sox games. As a very young kid I was allowed to stay up and watch the first 3 innings on tv then go to bed and listen to Harry on the radio in the 4th, 5th and 6th usally falling asleep by the 5th.
My dad always took me to friday night games and during the summer we went all the time. Dad passed in Dec. 2004 he never saw a pitch of the 2005 season. Our last game at the park was the 20 yr. reunion of the 83 team that we enjoyed so much. For as long as I've been alive dad made sure that the Sox were important and I understood from day 1 that they are. The older I get I lose interest in some things but my passion for the Sox grows and grows. I've said it on other posts last season was the most fun I've had at the park in my life. I just wish the best Sox fan I ever knew was with me. He would love the spirit of the Sox fan today.

LITTLE NELL
11-13-2008, 08:06 PM
Wow. My father was a season ticket holder for 26 yrs. My first memories of growing up were going too and watching Sox games. As a very young kid I was allowed to stay up and watch the first 3 innings on tv then go to bed and listen to Harry on the radio in the 4th, 5th and 6th usally falling asleep by the 5th.
My dad always took me to friday night games and during the summer we went all the time. Dad passed in Dec. 2004 he never saw a pitch of the 2005 season. Our last game at the park was the 20 yr. reunion of the 83 team that we enjoyed so much. For as long as I've been alive dad made sure that the Sox were important and I understood from day 1 that they are. The older I get I lose interest in some things but my passion for the Sox grows and grows. I've said it on other posts last season was the most fun I've had at the park in my life. I just wish the best Sox fan I ever knew was with me. He would love the spirit of the Sox fan today.
I know how you feel, I lost my Mom in Feb of 05 and she loved the Sox and I just wish that she could have witnessed the great 05 season.

DSpivack
11-13-2008, 09:05 PM

Ken Harrelson or the 'The Hawk'? Aren't they two different people? :redneck

thomas35forever
11-13-2008, 09:12 PM
I didn't closely follow the Sox until five years ago, but it means a lot to me because regardless of what happens every year, this organization always does its best to put out the best team possible. It means a lot to me because we always try to prove the critics wrong and more times than not, we're successful in doing it. My dad is a White Sox fan too so it's one thing we have in common. Going to games with him is always a good bonding experience. Living in Chicago, we have two teams to choose from. I chose the Sox because they appeared to be doing better than the Cubs when I started following baseball (mid-'96). Most years, we seem to do better than them. That said, all of the above reasons are why the White Sox are my team. Why I care about them so much I'm not so sure.

Jurr
11-13-2008, 10:23 PM
Asking me why Chisox baseball means something to me is like asking me why my butt farts. It just does. Always has.

whitesox901
11-13-2008, 10:51 PM
cuz its badass! :cool:

GoGoCrede
11-13-2008, 10:58 PM
It's gonna sound cliche, but it takes my mind off real life. There's nothing like watching your team win after a long day, or ribbing the players when they're having a bad game. And the tiebreaker game was one of the best moments of 2008 for me. I've met some awesome Sox fans as well.

And man, nothing beats the hot dogs at the Cell!

WhiteSox5187
11-14-2008, 04:36 AM
What?!?! The man who fired David Dombrowski and traded Bobby Bonilla not all that bright?!?!

ChiSoxFan81
11-14-2008, 10:34 AM
The White Sox are my true passion. As a kid, I kinda rooted for both sides of town, liked players on both teams, although the Sox were always my favorite. My grandfather took me to my first game at Comiskey, and my parents would also bring us to a game or two each year. I think the 1993 season is what completed captured my imagination and finally rid me of my interest in that other team.

As I've grown older, I've seen the Bulls win and always a big fan of the Bears, but I never felt the same rooting for those teams. It's all about the Sox. Can't really explain why. Maybe it's just because I got the opportunity to go to Sox games far more often than anything else. It's something I can talk about with my grandfather and my dad, my brothers, and I even got my wife to come around while we were still dating. Now, her and I have many Sox memories. We take her 9 year old brother to a game or two every year, and when we have kids, we'll pass it on. I wear my Sox pride like a badge, and hope that circumstances never lead me away from Chicago and my beloved Sox, lest I be forced to watch them only on television.

Law11
11-14-2008, 10:55 AM
Because even in the off season if baseball is your first love all you can think about is getting to Spring Training and your love of the Sox!

Its about living and dying with each game, riding the highs of 05 with the lows of 07.. In terms recent times.

My Sox flag flies year round, Im now after a few years living where Im at "the Sox house on the corner"

Its just fun to be a Sox fan. To have followed a team since you were able to make a choice on who to follow. In my case my first game as a 6 yr old is all it took back in 1975.

The rest is history..

tony1972
11-14-2008, 01:29 PM
I'm a White Sox, Bulls, Wolves, Bears, Fire and Flames (UIC) fan..but the White Sox are the only team that has been able to make me cry...:redface: (1993 ALCS Loss to Blue Jays)...(last day at Old Comsikey 1990)...

I follow the other teams...but when they lose it doesn't bother me as much as when the Sox do...

Sox
11-14-2008, 06:55 PM

Mercy!!!!!!!!!!!:tongue:

Sox
11-14-2008, 07:08 PM
My passion for the White Sox started as a kid in the 70's listening to Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersol doing the play by play broadcasts on the radio with my Grandpa. Names like Wilbur Woods, Bill Melton, Greg the bull Lazinkski, Richie Allen, Harold BAINES, Jorge Orta to name a few bring back fond memories for me. Who can forget those horrible Bill Veeck era uni's. I was so glad when the Sox finally ditched those uniforms. Being a fan of the White Sox will always be as natural to me as the times I played baseball on those hot summer evenings growing up in that little farming community in Northern Indiana. :)

koz
11-14-2008, 08:54 PM
My family allegiance has always been with the the Sox, but the reason why I care so much and have such a passion for White Sox baseball is because of the childhood memories that were created by the 1983 White Sox. I can vividly remember playing baseball everyday sun up to sun down (I love the movie Sandlot because it reminds me of that summer I still can't watch that movie without getting all choked up) then coming home and watching the game with my dad and his friends and basically just being a sponge and soaking up the electric atmosphere of which winning baseball creates. 05' was the sequel with the happy ending, and the memories of going to all the home games in the playoffs and World Series are memories that I will tell to my son, and hopefully the cycle will continue and I can experience another World Series title with him and create those memories of which I have with my father. That is why I care so much.

house215
11-14-2008, 10:56 PM
Here is a letter I wrote to the Tribune after the Sox beat the Angles in the ALCS. It pretty much sums up to me what the Sox mean to me. Unfortunately, it was never published:

The Chicago White Sox are going to the World Series.

I am still not sure if that has actually set in yet. As a Chicago White Sox fan of now 21 years I have dreamed of the day when my favorite sports team would be playing for a World Series Championship and as a Chicago White Sox fan of now 21 years I have never allowed myself to ever consider that will ever be more than a dream because I know the history of this team and have had my heart broken enough times to know better. And now here we are and I don't know how to react... it is a good problem to have though.

I got very overwhelmed last night with emotion when the game was coming to end and the reality of the White Sox going to the World Series for the first time since 1959. I began to think about all the White Sox fans in my family who have passed on their passion onto me but aren't here to celebrate with us now. While I hail from the North Shore my roots are south of Madison Street and that was always made very clear to me by Uncle Steve. He was a life-long season ticket holder and an intense Chicago White Sox fan. I remember going to a Sox game with him would be an all day event starting with mass at some random church in Bridgeport, followed by a stop at his favorite South Side watering hole, maybe a stop at Maxwell Street for a Dog or an Italian Beef, and then off to see the Chicago White Sox. My Uncle was also a troubled soul who suffered from serious alcoholism and depression. He took his own life last summer. My special tribute to my Uncle is that I placed a White Sox 2004 schedule in his pocket next to his heart before he was buried. I hope that at the end of this season I can put a World Series flag besides his grave and tell him all about what an amazing season the White Sox have had this year.

The White Sox are going to the World Series. I love typing that. It brings me such joy.

Bucky F. Dent
11-15-2008, 12:20 AM
Of the game, Bart Giamatti said it best:

The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone.

Of the Sox, all I can say is that my dad took me to my first game at Comiskey, and it's been the only team I've cared about since.

cbone
11-15-2008, 08:53 AM
I grew up in a White Sox household. My Mom was the real fan. SHe would take us to games till we got old enough to hop on the bus. I met my wife in 81, she wasn't really into baseball. I was a clerk on the trading floor and all the traders at the firm I was at knew I was a Sox fan. Many of them had season tickets so any unused ones came my way. And the seats were always great.

My wife got her heart broken for the first time in 83. I am still pissed about that series. 5 kids, 25 sesaons, and 1 World Championship later my family are bigger fans than ever. My kids all share the passion that my wife and I have. 3 of my kids were at the Black Out game, something they will neber forget. We all look forward to next season. :gulp: