PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Gregg to the Cubs

JermaineDye05
11-13-2008, 02:26 PM
For Ceda. Just reported on the score, I wonder if this means they won't be going after Peavy since Ceda was one of their better prospects.

cws05champ
11-13-2008, 02:29 PM
For Ceda. Just reported on the score, I wonder if this means they won't be going after Peavy since Ceda was one of their better prospects.
Good move for both teams...fits both of their needs. Does this mean they don't think they can bring back Wood?

FedEx227
11-13-2008, 02:34 PM
Damn he's pretty solid, nice pickup by the Cubs.

veeter
11-13-2008, 02:40 PM
Good move for both teams...fits both of their needs. Does this mean they don't think they can bring back Wood?That's what I'm thinking. Save Wood's money for a lefty bat. Marmol to close.

esbrechtel
11-13-2008, 02:45 PM
good move, now does marmol close or does gregg?

Rockabilly
11-13-2008, 02:47 PM
I wanted him for the Sox.. Dam

esbrechtel
11-13-2008, 02:53 PM
maybe they are going to try and swing him to the Padres...

btrain929
11-13-2008, 02:55 PM

Wouldn't that be sick....

11-13-2008, 02:56 PM

Doubtful ... the Marlins traded him because he was due for a payday, which is exactly what the Padres are trying to avoid as well.

btrain929
11-13-2008, 02:58 PM
Only good thing I see out of this is that the Cubs gave up a good prospect for (if there's no extension) 1 year of Gregg, as he's a free agent after this year.

veeter
11-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Doubtful ... the Marlins traded him because he was due for a payday, which is exactly what the Padres are trying to avoid as well.Exactly. Wood may be gone. Howry is probably gone. Gaudin has a bad back. Suddenly the cubs need arms in their pen. He's staying IMO.

veeter
11-13-2008, 03:01 PM
Only good thing I see out of this is that the Cubs gave up a good prospect for (if there's no extension) 1 year of Gregg, as he's a free agent after this year.Just a guess, and I hope I'm wrong, but I bet Jose Ceda doesn't do **** in the bigs.

esbrechtel
11-13-2008, 03:01 PM
Only good thing I see out of this is that the Cubs gave up a good prospect for (if there's no extension) 1 year of Gregg, as he's a free agent after this year.

The cubs, if they plan on keeping him, will extend him. They aren't the type of club that usually goes for the 1 year rental. Recently anyways....

Craig Grebeck
11-13-2008, 03:02 PM
Hahahahahahaha. Gregg is terrible. What a horrible move.

veeter
11-13-2008, 03:05 PM
Hahahahahahaha. Gregg is terrible. What a horrible move.After checking his numbers, I tend to agree with you. I wouldn't go as far as terrible though.

btrain929
11-13-2008, 03:06 PM
The cubs, if they plan on keeping him, will extend him. They aren't the type of club that usually goes for the 1 year rental. Recently anyways....

Unless he gets off to a Bob Howry-like start....

Craig Grebeck
11-13-2008, 03:06 PM
After checking his numbers, I tend to agree with you. I wouldn't go as far as terrible though.
Walk rate increasing, K rate decreasing, and he's an over 30 bullpen arm. Kevin Gregg is the type of guy you get off waivers; you don't give up a guy with Ceda's trade value for him. He's simply not all that good.

eaganmafia
11-13-2008, 03:08 PM
He's not gonna close game, I assume that goes to marmol if they don't bring Wood back. You can never have too many arms in the pen with the have middle arms fluctuate from year to year.

veeter
11-13-2008, 03:08 PM
Walk rate increasing, K rate decreasing, and he's an over 30 bullpen arm. Kevin Gregg is the type of guy you get off waivers; you don't give up a guy with Ceda's trade value for him. He's simply not all that good.Here's to Kevin Gregg having a horrible year.

btrain929
11-13-2008, 03:09 PM
Walk rate increasing, K rate decreasing, and he's an over 30 bullpen arm. Kevin Gregg is the type of guy you get off waivers; you don't give up a guy with Ceda's trade value for him. He's simply not all that good.

If those are the only 2 criteria you're judging him to be terrible, then is Bobby Jenks terrible? Because his walk rate is also increasing and his K rate is also decreasing.

I agree Gregg isn't a stud, but I'd look to other stats than just those 2 to prove your point...

champagne030
11-13-2008, 03:11 PM

Especially when the new owner will be on the hook. Hopefully goes back to being the pile of **** he was with the Angels.

Craig Grebeck
11-13-2008, 03:12 PM
If those are the only 2 criteria you're judging him to be terrible, then is Bobby Jenks terrible? Because his walk rate is also increasing and his K rate is also decreasing.

I agree Gregg isn't a stud, but I'd look to other stats than just those 2 to prove your point...
Difference being Gregg has a much higher walk rate than Jenks and does not have the stuff Bobby has.

btrain929
11-13-2008, 03:16 PM
Difference being Gregg has a much higher walk rate than Jenks and does not have the stuff Bobby has.

Well obviously that I agree with. My point is that "walk rate" or "declining K's" don't tell the whole story. We all know Bobby is nasty even though his K's have drastically decreased 2 years in a row. But to fans of other teams, they might think of it as him losing it.

oeo
11-13-2008, 03:16 PM
After checking his numbers, I tend to agree with you. I wouldn't go as far as terrible though.

He's on the way down, though.

Craig Grebeck
11-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Well obviously that I agree with. My point is that "walk rate" or "declining K's" don't tell the whole story. We all know Bobby is nasty even though his K's have drastically decreased 2 years in a row. But to fans of other teams, they might think of it as him losing it.
Jenks is just a much more established reliever than Gregg. Gregg is a reclamation project who they've turned into a apretty decent prospect in Ceda. Kudos to the Marlins.

(Not being snarky at all, by the way. Hope it doesn't come across that way)

LoveYourSuit
11-13-2008, 03:19 PM
Hahahahahahaha. Gregg is terrible. What a horrible move.

Put the shoe on the other foot and it feels great.

Meaning that had the Sox picked him up instead of the Cubs it would have been a great move. :rolleyes:

They gave up a prospect, and that's why Ceda is called a prospect.

Gregg is more than serviceable and a good insurance if Wood is not re-signed.

Rockabilly
11-13-2008, 03:20 PM
According to the Score

Wood is finished with the Cubs.. He wants a 4 yr deal

oeo
11-13-2008, 03:21 PM
According to the Score

Bahahaha. Gregg will be a disaster.

Craig Grebeck
11-13-2008, 03:23 PM
Put the shoe on the other foot and it feels great.

Meaning that had the Sox picked him up instead of the Cubs it would have been a great move. :rolleyes:

They gave up a prospect, and that's why Ceda is called a prospect.

Gregg is more than serviceable and a good insurance if Wood is not re-signed.
No, it'd still be a terrible deal.

btrain929
11-13-2008, 03:23 PM
According to the Score

Damn, closers are gonna get PAID this offseason....

thedudeabides
11-13-2008, 03:27 PM
It still wouldn't surprise me if they bring Wood back and Gregg ends up filling Howry's role. Which wouldn't be very hard to do.

Forgive me if I don't hold my breath regarding the Score report.

esbrechtel
11-13-2008, 03:28 PM
Who in their right mind would give Wood a 4 year deal?

veeter
According to the Score

Wood is finished with the Cubs.. He wants a 4 yr dealI think he's dreaming with his injuries, but heck he'll probably get it.

oeo

The Mets.

According to the Score

That's laugh out loud funny. It will be interesting to watch though. He may want 4 years, the market might dictate otherwise.

btrain929
11-13-2008, 03:30 PM

The same people who are probably gonna throw bags of money at Burnett for being fully healthy once every 3-4 years.

cws05champ
11-13-2008, 03:39 PM
I don't think anyone would give him 4 years. Want and get are two different things. He may get three from somebody, but even that is cooky talk for a guy that has not stayed fully healthy his whole career.

PatK
11-13-2008, 07:19 PM
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/11/cubs-wave-bye-t.html

Paul Sullivan thinks Wood will get a 4 year deal in the $50 million range?

:rolling::kneeslap:

I don't know what's funnier, reading that, or the reader's comments after Sullivan's article

JB98
11-13-2008, 07:31 PM
The Cubs are idiots. One of their top prospects for a journeyman reliever who is in decline. LOL.

thomas35forever
11-13-2008, 07:44 PM
The sports director at my radio station couldn't believe the Cubs were getting rid of Wood in favor of Gregg, then proceeded to call it "a ****ing joke." He was more upset than when the 'Hawks fired Savard. Ge seriously looked like he was about to go over to Wrigley and murder Jim Hendry.

Remember the Cubs fan I always talk about? He sent me a text saying he's done with the Cubs (I doubt it though).

Gregg was terrible this year and will be even worse next year. How? It's known that he's become notorious for blowing saves. Add in the Cub pressure and he'll crack worse than the Liberty Bell. I'll be intrigued to see what he does in '09.

cws05champ
11-13-2008, 08:35 PM
I just saw a thread on a Cubs message board on sportsline: Cubs trade for Kelly Gregg
:gulp::gulp::gulp: :rolling::rolling:

MHOUSE
11-13-2008, 09:04 PM
Gregg is a decent reliever, but not the kind of guy you deal a good prospect for. IIRC the Marlins got him off the waiver wire from Anaheim and he turned in a pretty solid 2007 as their closer before falling apart in that role this year. If the Cubs are expecting him to be more than a 6th-7th inning guy they're going to be sorry. I figure Marmol moves to the closers role and they go looking for an 8th inning guy to mix in with Samard-, Cotts, and whoever else?

As far as Wood goes, I've never seen anyone ride one 20-strikeout game longer and for more profit than Wood has. He seems like a class act and a great teammate, but since they finally got some value from him in 2008 I'd think it's a good time to cut ties on a high note. Wouldn't it be great if he went to St. Louis and turned in a few solid seasons there?

the1tab
11-13-2008, 10:53 PM
If Gregg is the 7th-8th inning guy, Samardzija is the 8th and Marmol the 9th the Cubs have some decent depth in their pen again. Wood will become the cult icon in his departure that Grace was in Arizona...

And for those wondering where Kerry Wood's gonna get a 4 year deal and have a team look the other way and ignore his injury history? How about his hometown Texas Rangers, who need ANY pitchers right now? Especially with an aging Astros lineup and Josh Hamilton, Michael Young and Ian Kinsler... Watch out there...

munchman33
11-13-2008, 11:16 PM
If Gregg is the 7th-8th inning guy, Samardzija is the 8th and Marmol the 9th the Cubs have some decent depth in their pen again. Wood will become the cult icon in his departure that Grace was in Arizona...

And for those wondering where Kerry Wood's gonna get a 4 year deal and have a team look the other way and ignore his injury history? How about his hometown Texas Rangers, who need ANY pitchers right now? Especially with an aging Astros lineup and Josh Hamilton, Michael Young and Ian Kinsler... Watch out there...

How long before the Texas heat melts the glue holding Wood's arm to his shoulder?

4 points
11-14-2008, 06:13 AM
Just a guess, and I hope I'm wrong, but I bet Jose Ceda doesn't do **** in the bigs.

If you look at his walk totals, I don`t think you`re wrong at all. Like it or not, this was a steal for the Cubs.:whiner: