PDA

View Full Version : Could AJ be on the way out?

JermaineDye05
11-13-2008, 12:57 PM
I'm only speculating here, mostly because of Cole Armstrong's strong showing in the AFL. If Armstrong really is the real deal and not just benefiting from Arizona weather, considering he's left handed does that make AJ expendable and if so what could we get for him? If we did trade AJ, I don't know how I'd feel because he's such a big part of this team. The funny thing is if he was traded, I think the Cell would be the only visiting ballpark where he'd get a warm welcome :cool:.

I found this interesting in Steve Stone's blog today when he was talking about both the Cubs and Sox.

Mod edit: Perhaps you missed the copyright notation on the blog.

It came out of the blue and just struck me as almost a hint at a future deal or something.

Link (http://www.stevestone.com/stevesPitch.html)to the full blog

Rocky Soprano
11-13-2008, 01:03 PM
You are willing to give the starting C job to someone that is an "if"?
Come on people!

LoveYourSuit
11-13-2008, 01:05 PM
I think there is a 99.9% chance AJ is with the Sox next season. Nice contract and still a very good hitter. Handles the staff well too, but defense can improve.

JermaineDye05
11-13-2008, 01:06 PM
You are willing to give the starting C job to someone that is an "if"?
Come on people!

I wouldn't give it right to him, but I'm speculating perhaps Kenny is looking for another catcher and give the backup role to Armstrong in hopes of molding him into a starter. Like I said I'm only speculating.

raven1
11-13-2008, 01:06 PM
Cole Armstrong's strong showing (plus $2.5 M) is why Toby Hall is gone, but doesn't even come close to making him a replacement for A.J. next year. The most this could mean is that the Sox won't feel the need to sign another backup catcher. I hope he earns that backup roster spot and does well, and maybe he will replace A.J. a few years down the road.

btrain929
11-13-2008, 01:07 PM
He got a no-trade clause along with his 3 yr extension he signed til 2010.

rustysurf83
11-13-2008, 01:08 PM
There is no way in hell, I think we can afford to shop AJ. As mentioned above this kid is an "if" and possibly is benefitting from Arizona weather. If he earns a roster spot he will need a senior guy like AJ to mentor him. He seems to be able to hit pretty well, but who knows how he can handle a staff?

dickallen15
11-13-2008, 01:11 PM
Is that really Steve Stone's blog? A second grade teacher would have an annuerism reading it with all of its spelling, grammatical and use and non use of capital letter errors.

eaganmafia
11-13-2008, 01:11 PM
Screw the .710 OPS he posted during the season, he's hot in the AFL.

TRADE AJ!!!!!!

thomas35forever
11-13-2008, 01:12 PM
AJ is everything I wish everyone else on our roster was: smart, tough, decent, and knows what to do and when. If he goes, our clubhouse may suffer.

eaganmafia
11-13-2008, 01:14 PM
AJ is everything I wish everyone else on our roster was: smart, tough, decent, and knows what to do and when. If he goes, our clubhouse may suffer.

Are you kidding me?

CashMan
11-13-2008, 01:16 PM
Is that really Steve Stone's blog? A second grade teacher would have an annuerism reading it with all of its spelling, grammatical and use and non use of capital letter errors.

Why are you ripping Steve Stone?

JermaineDye05
11-13-2008, 01:19 PM

Haha yeah, when I first read it I was confused when he spelled Crede's name "Creedy" I'm guessing he spells phonetically or something.

esbrechtel
11-13-2008, 01:24 PM
I love the offseason....what's the score is always good for a laugh...

cbrownson13
11-13-2008, 01:24 PM

That's what I was thinking... and it's Peavy not Peavey. He spells it both ways in his blog. Come on, Steve!

Domeshot17
11-13-2008, 01:56 PM
It

Is

The

Arizona

Fall

League

People

white sox bill
11-13-2008, 02:11 PM
Hmmmm giving up on a seasoned veteran who has at least 5 yrs left, who is a leader and calls a great game and despite his inability to throw a lot of runners out, but still is a work horse AND will hit in the .280 range with an occaisonal dinger, for an unseasoned but somewhat promising kid from the Fall League seems, well NO KENNY!

WhiteSox5187
11-13-2008, 03:43 PM
This idea is insane, first off. Secondly, I think AJ retires with the Sox.

Lundind1
11-13-2008, 05:42 PM
There is no way the Sox can afford to dump a reliable backstop like AJ at this point. If they do, who can they get for him and his antics. Not many people like the way that he plays the game either. I think that it is great for this team to have him around, if not for the talent and the good bat that he has had then for the comic relief we sometimes need over 162 games.

russ99
11-13-2008, 05:49 PM
A.J.'s not going anywhere.

Armstrong's a lefty and the Sox won't want him to rot on a major league bench. So he'll be in AAA next year and the Sox will sign a righty backup.

If A.J. were injured, Armstrong would be an immediate call-up.

PatK
11-13-2008, 06:17 PM

She also give you a check for spelling aneurysm incorrectly.

JB98
11-13-2008, 06:27 PM
A.J.'s not going anywhere.

Armstrong's a lefty and the Sox won't want him to rot on a major league bench. So he'll be in AAA next year and the Sox will sign a righty backup.

If A.J. were injured, Armstrong would be an immediate call-up.

I agree. This scenario would be fine with me. Although, if Armstrong is considered the eventual replacement for AJ, there will need to be a time where he comes to the big leagues and serves as the backup catcher. Maybe not 2009, but certainly 2010.

Trading AJ would be just a horrible idea.

NLaloosh
11-13-2008, 06:41 PM
A.J. will almost postively be with the Sox for atleast 2 more years. He's defintely not going anywhere now.

And, Armstrong is not good enough to make anyone expendable.

WhiteSoxOnly
11-13-2008, 09:13 PM

I think you had it nailed up until the last few words.The clubhouse
is probably where most everybody else wishes he would go away.
But on the field,you pegged him pretty good.I would also say he's
an ******* on the field in the eyes of the other teams and that's
a good thing for us.

soltrain21
11-13-2008, 09:17 PM
I think you had it nailed up until the last few words.The clubhouse
is probably where most everybody else wishes he would go away.
But on the field,you pegged him pretty good.I would also say he's
an ******* on the field in the eyes of the other teams and that's
a good thing for us.

What? Who doesn't like AJ? More importantly - why do we even talk about the clubhouse? We have no idea what goes on in there.

Jurr
11-13-2008, 09:35 PM
What? Who doesn't like AJ? More importantly - why do we even talk about the clubhouse? We have no idea what goes on in there.
WSI knows all. We have guys that are friends with Brian Anderson, security guards, and numerous other folks of interest.

For God's sake, we had a guy that stalked Kenny Williams in an airport to hear about us signing Matt Clement!

WSI is EVERYWHERE!!!!!

WhiteSoxOnly
11-13-2008, 09:54 PM
WSI knows all. We have guys that are friends with Brian Anderson, security guards, and numerous other folks of interest.

For God's sake, we had a guy that stalked Kenny Williams in an airport to hear about us signing Matt Clement!

WSI is EVERYWHERE!!!!!

Ok i caught the sarcasm there fellas so let me explain what i
should have said in the previous post...what i meant to say
was that most guys probably can't stand him in the clubhouse
in a good way,a fun way because he's always yapping.I do
remember a quote attributed to Kenny Williams after the
Beckham kid was introduced to the team and the media a
couple months ago and Kenny told Beckham not to pay any
attention to anything that AJ said to him...it was Kenny's
way of ragging on AJ in a harmless way.And no,i didn't get
any inside info from a guy at the baggage claim area at
LAX...but i'll keep you posted just the same.

fusillirob1983
11-13-2008, 11:33 PM
Ok i caught the sarcasm there fellas so let me explain what i
should have said in the previous post...what i meant to say
was that most guys probably can't stand him in the clubhouse
in a good way,a fun way because he's always yapping.I do
remember a quote attributed to Kenny Williams after the
Beckham kid was introduced to the team and the media a
couple months ago and Kenny told Beckham not to pay any
attention to anything that AJ said to him...it was Kenny's
way of ragging on AJ in a harmless way.And no,i didn't get
any inside info from a guy at the baggage claim area at
LAX...but i'll keep you posted just the same.

You should try the Phoenix airport. That's where the action is.

rustysurf83
11-13-2008, 11:55 PM
Pure speculation based on my limited knowledge,
But I believe AJ has a positive effect on the clubhouse culture. Although he has been referred to as a "cancer" with other clubs, I think this team may need his rashness, demeanor, antics, etc. I think he is invaluable because "Crazy AJ" can deflect a lot of attention from the younger members of the team. I would think that players such as Floyd and the ridiculously humble TCQ appreciate this.

SoxNation05
11-14-2008, 04:23 PM
original poster: I give you these smileys:

How I feel: :?::scratch::o:
How you should feel::redface: