PDA

View Full Version : Padres, Braves near Peavy deal

Sockinchisox
11-12-2008, 10:42 PM
Padres are going to ask Peavy to waive his no-trade clause to go to Atlanta.

http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270335/11665079

btrain929
11-12-2008, 10:45 PM
:bandance::bandance::bandance:

You better ****ing say yes, Peavy.

thomas35forever
11-12-2008, 10:50 PM
When this becomes official tomorrow, Cubs fans will say next year "if we had Peavy, we'd gone all the way."

JermaineDye05
11-12-2008, 10:56 PM
Sucks for me cause I just got a Padres Peavy BP jersey.

The good news is if he goes to the Braves I can wear a Peavy jersey and not feel sick to my stomach. I would have cried if I saw that 44 in Cubs blue.

DSpivack
11-12-2008, 11:29 PM
Good news. I look forward to visiting friends in Atlanta and seeing Peavy at Turner Field in about 6 months.

JB98
11-13-2008, 12:40 AM
I hope Peavy lands in Atlanta. I will vomit in my mouth if the Cubs get him for garbage like Felix Pie and Ronny Cedeno.

cws05champ
11-13-2008, 07:40 AM
The Padres are getting a pretty good return for Peavey. Don't get me wrong, I think Peavey is a great pitcher but it seems like he is just starting to break down a bit. To get Escobar, Morton, Hernandez and Boyer would be a great start for them to rebuild.

Anyone that has actually seen the Cubs players in their supposed offer knows that it is nowhere close to that package.

eaganmafia
11-13-2008, 08:06 AM
I don't understand why the Cubs are trying to get Peavy anyways. They pitched pretty good last season, just seems like overkill.

veeter
11-13-2008, 08:20 AM
I don't understand why the Cubs are trying to get Peavy anyways. They pitched pretty good last season, just seems like overkill.I wouldn't even say they are trying. Atlanta is bending over backwards to satisfy San Diego, with a great package. The cubs are throwing the same re-tread names out there. I think Hendry, in some way, is trying to pressure Dempster to sign. He better watch out, though. He may lose out on Peavy and Dempster. What bugs me, is that San Diego, or Towers specifically, seems hesitant on Atlanta's offer because they want to give the cubs every opportunity to come up with something. They should have jumped at Atlanta's offer days ago.

eaganmafia
11-13-2008, 08:30 AM
I wouldn't even say they are trying. Atlanta is bending over backwards to satisfy San Diego, with a great package. The cubs are throwing the same re-tread names out there. I think Hendry, in some way, is trying to pressure Dempster to sign. He better watch out, though. He may lose out on Peavy and Dempster. What bugs me, is that San Diego, or Towers specifically, seems hesitant on Atlanta's offer because they want to give the cubs every opportunity to come up with something. They should have jumped at Atlanta's offer days ago.

Why not see what the Cubs can come up with? If the Cubs can get a 3rd team involved and somehow get a package built around Vitters I could think of worse deals.

It's hard to make a deal when they're only 3-4 teams the player will approve a trade to. I'm just shocked the Padres aren't demanding either Tommy Hanson, Tommy Flowers or Jason Heyward from Atalanta

veeter
11-13-2008, 08:38 AM
Why not see what the Cubs can come up with? If the Cubs can get a 3rd team involved and somehow get a package built around Vitters I could think of worse deals.

It's hard to make a deal when they're only 3-4 teams the player will approve a trade to. I'm just shocked the Padres aren't demanding either Tommy Hanson, Tommy Flowers or Jason Heyward from AtalantaThe cubs could include Vitters or any other prospect. Atlanta is offering young, proven MAJOR LEAGUE talent. That puts any pathetic deal Hendry offers to shame. In fact, I think Atlanta is over paying.

eaganmafia
11-13-2008, 08:41 AM
The cubs could include Vitters or any other prospect. Atlanta is offering young, proven MAJOR LEAGUE talent. That puts any pathetic deal Hendry offers to shame. In fact, I think Atlanta is over paying.

I'm saying if the Cubs can get that 3rd team involved I think they could build a package close enough to the Braves offer to make Towers think about it.

Outside of Escobar I don't even know who's been mentioned for the Braves.

doublem23
11-13-2008, 09:23 AM
When this becomes official tomorrow, Cubs fans will say next year "if we had Peavy, we'd gone all the way."

Better than thems saying "We finally won it all because we got Peavy" next October.

VenturaFan23
11-13-2008, 09:30 AM
Better than thems saying "We finally won it all because we got Peavy" next October.

The Cub fans I'm surrounded by here at work would say "We have the best pitching staff in all of baseball now. We just got that Jim Pa....what's his name...Perry...from the Dodgers."

Lip Man 1
11-13-2008, 10:26 AM
Interesting that this comes out and in today's papers Lou says basically this was "all talk" in the first place, that the Cubs weren't really that interested....

LOL

:D:

Lip

GAsoxfan
11-13-2008, 10:33 AM

It's hard to make a deal when they're only 3-4 teams the player will approve a trade to. I'm just shocked the Padres aren't demanding either Tommy Hanson, Tommy Flowers or Jason Heyward from Atalanta

Unfortunately, the Padres have put themselves in a position where they can't make those kind of demands. Declaring that they are definitely going to trade Peavy, and then only having a few teams to choose from makes it tough. Plus, given Atlanta's current offer is probably miles better than the next best offer, the Padres can't really play hardball with them.

thedudeabides
11-13-2008, 10:46 AM
I'm saying if the Cubs can get that 3rd team involved I think they could build a package close enough to the Braves offer to make Towers think about it.

Outside of Escobar I don't even know who's been mentioned for the Braves.

Than read the article that was posted. It outlines who else the Braves are offering, and most of the prospects included are better than any one player the Cubs are offering up.

I highly doubt the players being rumored from the Cubs are even true. San Diego wouldn't even entertain that offer. And funny it's the same terrible package supposedly the Cubs were getting Roberts for last year.

This is a good package San Diego would be getting from Atlanta. As previous posters have mentioned, it's tough to do these deals when only a few teams are involved. But, that's the danger of giving out full no trade clauses.

Tragg
11-13-2008, 11:32 AM
Than read the article that was posted. It outlines who else the Braves are offering, and most of the prospects included are better than any one player the Cubs are offering up.

The Cubs must have taken Bobby Howry off the table.