PDA

View Full Version : World Baseball Classic 2009

TheUpperTank
11-12-2008, 01:40 PM
Hopefully this thread hasn't been started somewhere- did a search and didn't find anything.

Any general thoughts on this year's edition? The format is going to be more similar to the College World Series this year (in terms of double elimination) according to worldbaseballclassic.com (mlb site). Predictions?

Also, don't know who may have signed up (if anyone), but I signed up for the presale for the first round matches in Toronto and am considering going. 500 level tix are only $60 Canadian for all 6 games; so the travel n 5 days of housing are the only major costs.

11-12-2008, 01:43 PM
So it is in San Diego again too? Nice. Will tickets be hard to find if I wait until March? Is Yu Darvish going to play for Japan?

TheUpperTank
11-12-2008, 01:48 PM
So it is in San Diego again too? Nice. Will tickets be hard to find if I wait until March? Is Yu Darvish going to play for Japan?

San Diego sold pretty well last time, but given the whole thing is still quite new, I'm sure you'll have some time. Since that's a 2nd round site, tix aren't even going on sale to the public until December 8th. People can still register for that presale (though likely quite unecessary) until Nov. 24th here: http://mlb.mlb.com/ticketing/wbc/ticket_opp.jsp?partnerId=MLBwbcregistration081808

KenBerryGrab
11-12-2008, 02:47 PM
I just read that players who ended the year on the disabled list will not be covered under insurance for the WBC, so that will remove some guys from the rosters.

Sox4ever77
11-12-2008, 03:28 PM
I read they are using MLB umpires. That's a good change. The umpires the first year were terrible.

I also think I read that there isn't going to be anymore pitch count limits. This isn't ****ing Little League. So that's a good change, if true.

oeo
11-12-2008, 03:32 PM
I read they are using MLB umpires. That's a good change. The umpires the first year were terrible.

MLB umpires are good? :scratch:

They seem to get worse every year. They should use Japanese umpires, who apparently have, get this: consistent strike zones. Sounds like an amazing concept.

Sox4ever77
11-12-2008, 03:53 PM
MLB umpires are good? :scratch:

They seem to get worse every year. They should use Japanese umpires, who apparently have, get this: consistent strike zones. Sounds like an amazing concept.

Have you actually ever been to a Japanese league game? Seen those umpires work? Yes, MLB umpires have made huge mistakes, most glaring in the BW, but they are still the best.

HomeFish
11-12-2008, 04:43 PM
It was funny watching this last time. Before the WBC started, everyone thought it was a horrible idea. Then everybody actually started watching the games and enjoyed it a lot.

I'm still surprised that the Dominican Republic didn't win last time. No country in baseball produces more talent per capita than the DR.

Lip Man 1
11-12-2008, 06:04 PM
Homefish:

It's a bad idea, a REALLY bad idea. And when one of these "stars" is hurt, misses a season or has a career ended because they had to have a shorter off season to play in the BS, things will change in a hurry.

You just hope to God it's not a member of the Sox who breaks an ankle, tears a labrum or something stupid.

Big difference especially when pitchers have to start throwing earlier, forcing breaking balls earlier in the year and having to gear up to pitch against hitters trying to beat their brains out.

Another "brilliant" idea brought to you by Proud To Be Your Bud.

Absolute garbage.

Didn't watch one pitch the last time and will avoid it like the plague this time too. I'm not going to condone this idiocy.

Lip

oeo
11-12-2008, 06:57 PM
Homefish:

It's a bad idea, a REALLY bad idea. And when one of these "stars" is hurt, misses a season or has a career ended because they had to have a shorter off season to play in the BS, things will change in a hurry.

You just hope to God it's not a member of the Sox who breaks an ankle, tears a labrum or something stupid.

Big difference especially when pitchers have to start throwing earlier, forcing breaking balls earlier in the year and having to gear up to pitch against hitters trying to beat their brains out.

Another "brilliant" idea brought to you by Proud To Be Your Bud.

Absolute garbage.

Didn't watch one pitch the last time and will avoid it like the plague this time too. I'm not going to condone this idiocy.

Lip

Good for you. I thought it was nice seeing the young players from other countries. Not only that, but it promotes baseball worldwide.

This is the same argument people have over the All Star Game meaning something. What if someone gets hurt? Injuries happen, get over it.

Sox4ever77
11-12-2008, 07:38 PM
Good for you. I thought it was nice seeing the young players from other countries. Not only that, but it promotes baseball worldwide.

This is the same argument people have over the All Star Game meaning something. What if someone gets hurt? Injuries happen, get over it.

I know there are some differences, mainly the NHL is in midseason, but has any NHL star gotten hurt playing in the Olympics?

Were there any Sox players on the WBC roster the first year?

Lip Man 1
11-12-2008, 08:15 PM
OEO:

I'm not concerned about "promoting" baseball (when MLB wants to pay me to promote the sport, then I will), not do I give a tinker's cuss about seeing other countries young players (that the Sox won't get because MLB does not have a worldwide draft).

I'm concerned only, solely and completely about one thing and one thing only, the Chicago White Sox and their success.

In fact frankly, if it weren't for the White Sox I wouldn't watch baseball at all...it's not like I care about any other team.

There's a big difference about the All Popularity Contest, played in midseason with guys actually in game shape and forcing pitchers to throw breaking balls and go all out (as opposed to early spring training games) in late February / early March. I'm sorry you don't see that.

Lip

Craig Grebeck
11-12-2008, 08:17 PM
OEO:

I'm not concerned about "promoting" baseball, not do I give a tinker's cuss about seeing other countries young players (that the Sox won't get because MLB does not have a worldwide draft).

I'm concerned only, solely and completely about one thing and one thing only, the Chicago White Sox and their success.

In fact frankly, if it weren't for the White Sox I wouldn't watch baseball at all...it's not like I care about any other team.

Lip
Alright then. Some people around here actually like baseball. Shocking concept.

Sockinchisox
11-12-2008, 08:20 PM
I know there are some differences, mainly the NHL is in midseason, but has any NHL star gotten hurt playing in the Olympics?

I remember Vazquez and Freddy pitched and Cintron played in it. I can't think of anyone else.

Lip Man 1
11-12-2008, 08:21 PM
Craig:

Also a shocking concept... a pitcher is going to get hurt because in what would be the first few days of "normal" spring training they have to try to throw 95 on the gun in order to get guys like Albert Pujols out.

What you don't get enough baseball between April and September? 162 games isn't enough?

Two words for you if it isn't: video...tape

Lip

Craig Grebeck
11-12-2008, 08:22 PM
Craig:

Also a shocking concept... a pitcher is going to get hurt because in what would be the first few days of "normal" spring training they have to try to throw 95 on the gun in order to get guys like Albert Pujols out.

What you don't get enough baseball between April and September? 162 games isn't enough?

Lip
I'm sorry you don't like baseball.

Edit: I don't really care for the WBC, but this "I only give a tinker's cuss (whatever the **** that is) about anybody but the White Sox!" stuff is completely asinine.

Lip Man 1
11-12-2008, 08:23 PM
Craig:

I LOVE baseball. White Sox baseball...period.

Lip

Craig Grebeck
11-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Craig:

Lip
Okay. Well, like I said, some of us have an appreciation for the game itself -- not just one franchise.

BadBobbyJenks
11-12-2008, 08:36 PM
No difference than NBA players going to play in the Olympics.

I love baseball and I love the WBC.

PKalltheway
11-12-2008, 08:42 PM
I enjoyed watching the WBC in 2006 for the most part, and I will definitely be watching some of the games next spring as well.

I love the White Sox, but I am also a baseball fan, too.

FedEx227
11-12-2008, 11:37 PM
I like world competitions in sports, I just don't know about using pro guys. That's always a bit much for me because baseball is such a sensitive game, I'd hate to see a great young player destroy his career in this.

I'm excited because more baseball is great, especially when you get to see some international flare, I LOVE watching Japanese baseball, amazing brand of baseball in my mind.

FedEx227
11-12-2008, 11:39 PM
Okay. Well, like I said, some of us have an appreciation for the game itself -- not just one franchise.

Absolutely. I could watch a Brewers vs. Rockies game all day just as much as I could watch a White Sox game. In these past few years I'd say I've probably become more of an all-around baseball fan over just the White Sox and I'm glad there are too many amazing players right now to overlook them just to focus on my hometown team.

cws05champ
11-13-2008, 08:59 AM
No difference than NBA players going to play in the Olympics.

I love baseball and I love the WBC.

It is a big difference between NBA players going to the Olympics and the WBC. In basketball you are not putting the same stressfull torgque on you body as say a pitcher does in baseball. In basketball you just have to keep yourself in basketball condition, which those guys do.

A lot of the baseball player will keep themselves in game shape as well, but it takes a lot longer to get your body up to 100% to play baseball at a high level...as a pitcher or as a hitter with the timing. As Lip stated before, there's a big difference between just starting spring training throwing side sessions at 75% and having to dial it up to get good hitters out at game speed.

I liked the WBC, but maybe this time around players that know they are playing will train differently leading up to the event to avoid any injury.

doublem23
11-13-2008, 09:11 AM
I dig the WBC because I like baseball, but it doesn't bug me if all the MLB superstars opt not to play in what is essentially a pointless competition. Can't blame these guys for not wanting to risk serious injury. Even if it was just a bunch of AA-type guys trying to get noticed, I'd probably still watch.

AZChiSoxFan
11-13-2008, 09:30 AM

Totally agree with you. I attended the Mexico-Canada game last time here in Phx and loved it.

I love the anti-Bud crowd. If Bud said that the sky was blue, they would scream that it was green. If he said it was green, they would scream that it's blue.

eaganmafia
11-13-2008, 09:33 AM
It is a big difference between NBA players going to the Olympics and the WBC. In basketball you are not putting the same stressfull torgque on you body as say a pitcher does in baseball. In basketball you just have to keep yourself in basketball condition, which those guys do.

Yeah that's why Manu Ginobili is gonna miss half of teh NBA season.

AZChiSoxFan
11-13-2008, 09:33 AM
Craig:

Lip

Dude, sit back, relax, and strap it down.

Please tell me which players got hurt in the first WBC.

palehozenychicty
11-13-2008, 10:55 AM
Craig:

Lip

That's cool. I think many here would agree with you, that they love Sox baseball first and foremost. But don't rain on the parade. Some of us just love watching the game, regardless of who's playing.

Lip Man 1
11-13-2008, 11:17 AM
AZ:

I actually think there was a pitcher or two who got hurt prepping for it, no big names but that's besides the point. The fact is this is a farce that doesn't even need to be played in the first place, just another idea from Proud To Be Your Bud.

My point is sooner or later a big name WILL get hurt badly and you pray to God it's not a member of the White Sox.

-----------

Palehose:

Not raining on anybody's parade. Go back and look at my original comments. You want to watch this glorified nonsense, be my guest. I won't watch a second, I have better things to do with my time.

Lip

areilly
11-13-2008, 12:02 PM
Not raining on anybody's parade. Go back and look at my original comments. You want to watch this glorified nonsense, be my guest. I won't watch a second, I have better things to do with my time.

Lip

All things considered, Lip, couldn't the entire concept of professional sports be classified as the same "glorified nonsense"?

Are we somehow supposed to take one event more seriously than another because it happens later in the year? While we're at it, should regular-season games be cancelled if both teams are already eliminated? What about Spring Training? The All-Star Game? Should the World Series even be played if the Sox aren't in it?

palehozenychicty
11-13-2008, 12:47 PM
AZ:

I actually think there was a pitcher or two who got hurt prepping for it, no big names but that's besides the point. The fact is this is a farce that doesn't even need to be played in the first place, just another idea from Proud To Be Your Bud.

My point is sooner or later a big name WILL get hurt badly and you pray to God it's not a member of the White Sox.

-----------

Palehose:

Lip

Yes, you are, because you continually hammer the point that you don't care about MLB other than the Sox and that someone could get hurt, especially from the Sox. We get it.

So move on to all the better things that you have to do. Let the people who want to talk about the WBC do so in peace. :rolleyes:

oeo
11-13-2008, 12:59 PM
AZ:

If someone gets hurt badly, unless it's some sort of fluke injury, it was bound to happen anyway. They obviously can't rush themselves getting ready, they just have to start earlier. Shouldn't be much of a problem. You're treating these guys like babies.

champagne030
11-13-2008, 02:09 PM
Dude, sit back, relax, and strap it down.

Please tell me which players got hurt in the first WBC.

Luis Ayala blew out his elbow and was lost for the season, while playing for Mexico against the United States.

I find the whole idea rather silly and am surprised the owners haven't made Buddy put a stop to it.

eaganmafia
11-13-2008, 02:29 PM
I find the whole idea rather silly and am surprised the owners haven't made Buddy put a stop to it.

Do you really think there wasn't some kind of owners vote on the WBC. Do you really think Bud just said "screw the millions of dollars you put into players. I'm gonna take them and make them play baseball and maybe get injuried.

HomeFish
11-13-2008, 02:49 PM
I would hate to be a kid who wanders onto Lip's lawn.

FedEx227
11-13-2008, 02:53 PM
Especially if they are playing non-White Sox related baseball.

God forbid the kid is wearing his little league team's replica Pirates jersey. He'll be shot on the spot.

BadBobbyJenks
11-13-2008, 02:54 PM
I am not raining on your parade, but stop watching this glorified nonsense!

champagne030
11-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Do you really think there wasn't some kind of owners vote on the WBC. Do you really think Bud just said "screw the millions of dollars you put into players. I'm gonna take them and make them play baseball and maybe get injuried.

Yes.

cws05champ
11-13-2008, 03:02 PM
Yeah that's why Manu Ginobili is gonna miss half of teh NBA season.
Do you exist on this board just to contradict people with one liners? That's all you seem to do. Way to give the one example of the one player that got injured in in a freak ankle injury in basketball...bravo.

Do you not agree with my point in general?

BadBobbyJenks
11-13-2008, 03:05 PM
Do you exist on this board just to contradict people with one liners? That's all you seem to do. Way to give the one example of the one player that got injured in in a freak ankle injury in basketball...bravo.

Do you not agree with my point in general?

Well every NBA player is at risk of coming down wrong on his foot or landing on another player's foot for an injury no matter where they are playing. There is really no difference between the WBC and Hockey and Basketball sending off players to play in international competitions.

Lip Man 1
11-13-2008, 03:46 PM
The original question posed 'what were your thoughts on it.'

I gave mine, sorry if it offends. Perhaps you should just skip over my comments.

It's unadulterated pap...a made for TV "event" that has no meaning.

--------------

Eagan:

Bud has a lot of influence and the ability to persuade people to his point of view (in some cases, or else...) He was a used car salesman remember.

Home:

Considering the tripe you've put out here for years, I'd hate to be you. LOL

Fed Ex:

I cut my own lawn and there are no Pirate fans here in this area, there probably aren't any Pirate fans left even in Pittsburgh they way that organization has operated.

Lip

areilly
11-13-2008, 03:47 PM
Luis Ayala blew out his elbow and was lost for the season, while playing for Mexico against the United States.

Adrian Beltre strained a hip flexor but I don't think he missed any time over it.

For some reason, I get the feeling the non-MLB-ball-is-bad-because-players-might-get-hurt crowd assumes players don't actually realize they could get hurt. It's a calculated risk, and whatsmore it's each player's risk to take. Not yours. Not mine. Not Bud Selig's. They do have the option to sit out, you know.

Luis Ayala wants to put his health on the line playing for national pride? Personally I think that's awesome, and far more significant than putting it on the line in a late August relief apperance in a 2006 Nationals-Pirates game when both teams are out by 20 games. But hey, whatever.

Statistically speaking, any athlete is much more likely to get hurt driving a car or hanging out at home than all other activities combined. Perhaps contract clauses should prevent those activities as well.

Lip Man 1
11-13-2008, 04:09 PM
Reilly:

As all the hype regarding Alex Rodriguez last year and with Ozzie's comments about Venezuela, there is a lot of "pressure" put on some guys to play and if they don't they are in serious trouble.

It's not as easy to say no as you seem to make it out to be.

Lip

areilly
11-13-2008, 04:39 PM
Reilly:

As all the hype regarding Alex Rodriguez last year and with Ozzie's comments about Venezuela, there is a lot of "pressure" put on some guys to play and if they don't they are in serious trouble.

It's not as easy to say no as you seem to make it out to be.

Lip

Yes, I'm sure Queen Beatrix will be calling for Andruw Jones' head if he stays home.

russ99
11-17-2008, 05:22 PM
Oh no, Uncle Bud's throwing his World Baseball Craptacular again??

Count me out.

guillensdisciple
11-18-2008, 03:04 AM
I will root for Cuba, like I did the last classic. I love the fact that they play for nothing and play baseball so well.

Also I want to see the talent that will probably come to the United States sooner or later.

EuroSox35
11-18-2008, 04:05 AM
I think the games are entertaining, but come on, it's laughable how some of you are reacting to Lip, because you would be the first one's cursing the 'evil' Selig if a significant Sox player would miss months/the season from some injury in this, even if it happened as a complete fluke.

I don't know the stats and don't feel like looking them up, but IIRC a number of pitchers who had more of the innings either had a below career avg year or had some injuries during the year. It doesn't mean there's a relationship there, but with the way pitchers are guarded so closely and are on these tight schedules and routines these days, it does seem unorthodox to have them pitching in these type of games in early March. You also wonder how innings start to add up when you get to the middle of the year or Sep and some of the guys really have to reach back or are visibly worn

whitesox901
11-19-2008, 04:17 AM

Javy and Freddy i know of

CMPDragRacing
11-19-2008, 05:07 AM
lip so if the sox get eliminated from post season play in say game 150, does that mean they should just pack up their lockers and head off and wait til spring training? i mean they have nothing to play for so why play someone might get hurt. ohh nooooo.

WBC, i like the idea but didnt watch much of it last time around. ill probably watch more this time.

oeo
11-19-2008, 09:24 AM
I think the games are entertaining, but come on, it's laughable how some of you are reacting to Lip, because you would be the first one's cursing the 'evil' Selig if a significant Sox player would miss months/the season from some injury in this, even if it happened as a complete fluke.

Nah, but what you said is laughable.

areilly
11-19-2008, 10:45 AM

I just think it's a nice change of pace watching people play for their pride rather than for their paycheck. Javy, for example, pitched like a star under pressure.

Lip Man 1
11-19-2008, 12:20 PM
CMPD:

Because the Sox have an obligation to play and perform against teams who are still in the race.

It's called "integrity."

Lip

areilly
11-19-2008, 01:34 PM
CMPD:

Because the Sox have an obligation to play and perform against teams who are still in the race.

It's called "integrity."

Lip

What about the teams that are out of the race?

Let's say the Sox and Tigers are both eliminated September 10th, but have a series in Detroit September 15-17th and another in Chicago September 27-30. Where's the integrity in any of those games? The glory? The sensibility?

Lip Man 1
11-19-2008, 11:37 PM
They are being paid to do a job...so do the job...that's where "integrity" comes into play in your scenario.

Lip

Daver
11-19-2008, 11:47 PM
They are being paid to do a job...so do the job...that's where "integrity" comes into play in your scenario.

Lip

Isn't promoting the sport that pays them a living "integrity"

Huisj
11-20-2008, 01:28 PM
Yes, I'm sure Queen Beatrix will be calling for Andruw Jones' head if he stays home.

Actually, she'd probably call for his head if he insists on playing and then goes 0-30 with 15 k's and 10 weak popouts while playing a lazy centerfield.

Lip Man 1
11-21-2008, 12:25 PM
Daver:

In my opinion not when the "event" is a made for TV program that doesn't even field the "best" players from each nation. Completely like the All Star Popularity farce which if memory serves both you and I agree is worthless.

And if I've mixed you up with someone else regarding it, I apologize.

Lip