PDA

View Full Version : Kerry Wood

Rockabilly
11-12-2008, 12:01 PM
Would any of you want the Sox to sign him... If we were to trade Jenks or as our set up man.

kittle42
11-12-2008, 12:07 PM
WSI never ceases to disappoint. I predicted this thread two days ago among the flurry of other "[Name of guy]" thread titles.

Bravo.

Rockabilly
11-12-2008, 12:10 PM
WSI never ceases to disappoint. I predicted this thread two days ago among the flurry of other "[Name of guy]" thread titles.

Bravo.

Actually I saw your post.. So thats why I made the thread..

Wood did have a great season last year and is a better choice than the other names out there..

if we were to trade Jenks

munchman33
11-12-2008, 12:19 PM
He'd be a nice arm in the pen. But there better be more closing options. He's still an injury threat.

Rocky Soprano
11-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Actually I saw your post.. So thats why I made the thread..

Wood did have a great season last year and is a better choice than the other names out there..

if we were to trade Jenks

Don't you get tired of posting all these trade/sign threads?

Sit back, relax, and wait for Kenny to do something.

SOXPHILE
11-12-2008, 12:27 PM
Carrie Wood(s) ? Oh dear Lord, please stop......

chisoxmike
11-12-2008, 12:29 PM
And the beat goes on...

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/6620/slowclapyd7.gif

spawn
11-12-2008, 12:30 PM
That's not the WSI way during the off-season. I won't be surprised if there was a thread started wondering about trading for Aramis Ramirez...followed by Derek Jeter...with Albert Pujols thrown in for good measure.

Rockabilly
11-12-2008, 12:31 PM

give me a break. if someone on the Sox had Wood numbers last season, you would be a fan of his...

Wood 5-4 3.26 34 SV's 18 W's 84 K's 219 BAA

Jenks 3-1 2.63 30 SV's 17 W's 38 K's 230 BAA

HomeFish
11-12-2008, 12:36 PM
Kerry Wood is an immensely talented player and would contribute a lot to the Sox. He would instantly become one of the best pitchers on the team, at least in the pen.

Unfortunately, he is a bit overhyped and would probably be prohibitively expensive.

whitesox901
11-12-2008, 12:40 PM
why not, he was decent to say the least last season

Sargeant79
11-12-2008, 12:49 PM
It's not a terrible idea. We could do worse for closers (providing Jenks is moved, of course). It doesn't make a whole lot of sense from a payroll standpoint though. Jenks might cost only half what Wood will get annually on the open market.

Regarding the injury threat, that is a really good point. However I think having Thornton as a fallback option in the event of injury would be ok. Plus, I remember Steve Stone commenting a few years ago about how a role in the bullpen was likely the only way he was ever going to stay healthy, so maybe he found his niche.

guillen4life13
11-12-2008, 02:02 PM

Just an FYI but there's an explicit rule on WSI stating that you ought not do this. For future thought (or fair warning for you to edit it before it gets caught by someone who actually matters.)

If the price is right, I say why the hell not? He had a good year last year and I think he may have finally found his niche as a reliever. I'd still have Jenks closing over him, but a healthy Kerry Wood can be a very valuable piece to the puzzle.

khan
11-12-2008, 02:24 PM
Sure. Sign an oft-injured pitcher on the wrong side of 30, who will likely be prohibitively expensive, and isn't as good/proven at the job of the incumbent closer...

...But only after:

1. Finding a leadoff man with speed.
2. Finding a #2 hitter.
3. Finding a 2nd Baseman who can be either of the above, while being able to catch the ball AND participate in run downs without giving away bases like a $10 whore.
4. Finding a 3rd Baseman who can catch the ball and won't strikeout 200 times a year.
5. Finding a starting CF who can be one of numbers 1 or 2, catch the ball, and throw with some ability.
6. Finding a 2nd Lefty for the bullpen that is more MLB-ready than the rookie ball-to-MLB Boone Logan.
7. Finding a starting pitcher to replace Contreras.
8. Adding some depth in terms of SP-capable arms/competition for the long man in the bullpen.
9. Finding a backup catcher.
10. Either finding a role for Swisher, or finding another team for him.
11. Finding a few foreign signings to further bolster the minor league system/add competition for the 40 man roster.
12. Finding a few guys to fill out the foreign scouting department.
13. Possibly replacing Joey Cora, if he should stupidly take the mariner's job.
14. Make all of the potential player additions, while keeping the player payroll to <$114M. [Currently, $99M is already committed to returning players.]

I'm sure I missed a few other minor "To Do's" for the front office, but after all of these, sure. Sign Kerry Wood.

PatK
11-12-2008, 03:35 PM
I think if you could get him cheap, go for it.

Taliesinrk
11-12-2008, 03:48 PM
Sure. Sign an oft-injured pitcher on the wrong side of 30, who will likely be prohibitively expensive, and isn't as good/proven at the job of the incumbent closer...

...But only after:

1. Finding a leadoff man with speed.
2. Finding a #2 hitter.
3. Finding a 2nd Baseman who can be either of the above, while being able to catch the ball AND participate in run downs without giving away bases like a $10 whore.
4. Finding a 3rd Baseman who can catch the ball and won't strikeout 200 times a year.
5. Finding a starting CF who can be one of numbers 1 or 2, catch the ball, and throw with some ability.
6. Finding a 2nd Lefty for the bullpen that is more MLB-ready than the rookie ball-to-MLB Boone Logan.
7. Finding a starting pitcher to replace Contreras.
8. Adding some depth in terms of SP-capable arms/competition for the long man in the bullpen.
9. Finding a backup catcher.
10. Either finding a role for Swisher, or finding another team for him.
11. Finding a few foreign signings to further bolster the minor league system/add competition for the 40 man roster.
12. Finding a few guys to fill out the foreign scouting department.
13. Possibly replacing Joey Cora, if he should stupidly take the mariner's job.
14. Make all of the potential player additions, while keeping the player payroll to <$114M. [Currently, $99M is already committed to returning players.]

I'm sure I missed a few other minor "To Do's" for the front office, but after all of these, sure. Sign Kerry Wood.

Just to clarify... the 3B doesn't have to be able to throw the ball?

khan
11-12-2008, 03:58 PM

Given who many here think is likely to be the Opening Day 3rd Baseman, I'd be happy if THAT guy [or whoever ends up being the 3rd Baseman] can catch. Of course, the 3B has to be able to throw the ball. But he has to catch it first.

I mean, why hope for a Ferrari, when the guy who is probably 1st in line for the job is closer to a Yugo?

doublem23
11-12-2008, 04:24 PM

Not if he runs fast enough. :cool:

Lukin13
11-12-2008, 04:35 PM

Bravo.

Don't you get tired of posting all these trade/sign threads?

And the beat goes on...

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/6620/slowclapyd7.gif

That's not the WSI way during the off-season. I won't be surprised if there was a thread started wondering about trading for Aramis Ramirez...followed by Derek Jeter...with Albert Pujols thrown in for good measure.

Kerry Wood is an unrestricted free agent, why not discuss the possibility of acquiring him? If he was a Pirate last year, I bet half of this board would be asking KW to take a flyer on him.

Actual posts about baseball talk don't bother me, it is people whining about them that gets to me. If people have the time and are into this kind of thing let them discuss it. If you don't want to hear about offseason speculation: STAY THE **** OUT OF WHATS THE SCORE! Geesh. At least this is baseball talk... hell where are you guys at when people are talking hot dogs, car insurance and about their kid's marching band tryouts in the Parking Lot?

I like the idea of KW inking any of the big time relievers this offseason, because we really are not in desperate need of bullpen help and it would just be a sign that we are committed to being a big market franchise. I personally prefer Fuentes and Cruz, whom won't be demanding contracts too terribly different from Wood, but I wouldn't mind seeing Kerry on the southside.

downstairs
11-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Wait. Why the heck would we trade Jenks, now?

cws05champ
11-12-2008, 07:49 PM
give me a break. if someone on the Sox had Wood numbers last season, you would be a fan of his...

Wood had 34 saves and 18 wins! :o: Sign him up!!!

guillen4life13
11-12-2008, 10:07 PM
Wood had 34 saves and 18 wins! :o: Sign him up!!!

Maybe the teal was implied, but W referred to walks.

kittle42
11-12-2008, 10:22 PM
Maybe the teal was implied, but W referred to walks.

It was. Jesus Christ.

DumpJerry
11-12-2008, 11:15 PM
Kerry Wood's body=
http://shotfromthehip.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/300px-classic_time_bomb.jpg

Lundind1
11-13-2008, 01:06 AM

How would we fill the other positions on the field and have enough starters, because that is what we would have to give up for em?

BTW: :rolling: with the tread. Nice way to get me going about Dead Wood. lol.

FielderJones
11-13-2008, 03:47 PM
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2008/11/kerry-wood-and-cubs-split.html

WhiteSox5187
11-13-2008, 04:46 PM
There are some other things we need to address first, but IF we address those needs and IF Kerry can be had for the right price, I wouldn't mind seeing him in our bullpen. Remember it's not just quality, it's quantity. Wood is an above average pitcher and I would have no problem having another above average pitcher in our bullpen...having said that, there are far more important areas to be addressed. But a bullpen that consists of Wood, Dotel, Linebrink and Jenks would be a force to be reckoned with.

doublem23
11-13-2008, 05:07 PM
There are some other things we need to address first, but IF we address those needs and IF Kerry can be had for the right price, I wouldn't mind seeing him in our bullpen. Remember it's not just quality, it's quantity. Wood is an above average pitcher and I would have no problem having another above average pitcher in our bullpen...having said that, there are far more important areas to be addressed. But a bullpen that consists of Wood, Dotel, Linebrink and Jenks would be a force to be reckoned with.

I agree, but word is he's looking for a 4-year deal... With his arm? That's nuts.

Lundind1
11-13-2008, 06:36 PM
I agree, but word is he's looking for a 4-year deal... With his arm? That's nuts.

According MLB.com he is going to be a sought after commodity. What the heck is he going to do? I don't see many teams offering him a large deal.

ComiskeyBrewer
11-13-2008, 06:48 PM
According MLB.com he is going to be a sought after commodity. What the heck is he going to do? I don't see many teams offering him a large deal.

i don't see anything more than a 3 year deal, with most offering two. Anybody who signs him to a 4 year deserves to have him on the DL for 2 of em.

russ99
11-13-2008, 06:51 PM
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2008/11/kerry-wood-and-cubs-split.html

Yeah. As if today's supposed to be a national day of mourning... Stupid Cubs.

thomas35forever
11-13-2008, 07:48 PM
Forget him on our team if he's asking four years.

Well, if the Yankees were dumb enough to take Swisher's salary, maybe there's still hope for him.

MHOUSE
11-14-2008, 12:38 AM
I'd take Wood for like 2 years 8-10 million but that's never gonna happen. He's gonna get paid like an elite closer which he's not yet anyways. I think the Rangers are desperate enough for pitching to give their prodigal son 3 years.

WhiteSox5187
11-14-2008, 04:38 AM
I'd take Wood for like 2 years 8-10 million but that's never gonna happen. He's gonna get paid like an elite closer which he's not yet anyways. I think the Rangers are desperate enough for pitching to give their prodigal son 3 years.
I think he winds up going to the Mets cuz I don't think they wanna shell out the kinda money K-Rod is asking for.

chisoxfanatic
11-14-2008, 05:52 AM

Remember, Wood pitched in the much inferior NL. Wood most likely would not have near those numbers if he had to face AL hitting for more than just interleague play. I'll take Jenks over Wood any day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

kittle42
11-14-2008, 09:26 AM
Remember, Wood pitched in the much inferior NL. Wood most likely would not have near those numbers if he had to face AL hitting for more than just interleague play. I'll take Jenks over Wood any day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

You know, I of course agree to a certain extent with this whole AL/NL thing that comes up around here constantly, but really, guys - not everyone sucks just because they aren't playing in the AL.

champagne030
11-14-2008, 09:52 AM
4 years, $40M? Pass.

esbrechtel
11-14-2008, 10:01 AM
I think the Mets are gonna come calling....

Wouldn't that be great to see the Mets go sweep the Cubs in the playoffs and Wood records 3 saves?