PDA

View Full Version : Yankees sign Marte

CubsfansareDRUNK
11-12-2008, 10:50 AM
Per Impacto Deportivo...

http://www.impactodeportivo.com.do/?op=displaystory&story_id=4453&format=html

ChiSoxFan81
11-12-2008, 10:52 AM
Being a Yankee hater, I'd have to say this is a good thing.

eaganmafia
11-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Janky Dominican websites as a source?

Have the Yankees said anything yet...

kittle42
11-12-2008, 11:06 AM
Get ready with those gloves in the OF stands, Yankee fans!

Law11
11-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Get ready with those gloves in the OF stands, Yankee fans!

What? he's good under pressure...

thomas35forever
11-12-2008, 03:23 PM
All I can say is why? He sucked with them this year. When he almost blew that game in Minny, fans on the Yankees board were badmouthing him to no end. I see the organizational philosophy of overpaying for overrated players is not going to change in the forseeable future.

HomeFish
11-12-2008, 03:45 PM
"Everyday" Damaso Marte had a great 2003 season here. I always liked his delivery too.

It's a shame I had to slowly teach myself to hate him as time went on. Remember when Ozzie would get booed for putting him in?

ChiSoxFan81
11-12-2008, 03:58 PM
"Everyday" Damaso Marte had a great 2003 season here. I always liked his delivery too.

It's a shame I had to slowly teach myself to hate him as time went on. Remember when Ozzie would get booed for putting him in?

Well, personally, I was booing Marte himself as he entered a game because I already knew what he would do. Ozzie started not even pitching him at home because it got so bad.

HomeFish
11-12-2008, 04:02 PM
Also, keep this in mind:

Without Damaso Marte, el duque's "hocus pocus" moment never happens.

wilburaga
11-12-2008, 04:11 PM
I think David Ortiz had a lot to do with this curious signing. Though he did take Marte deep once this year, Damaso retired him 8 out of 10 times, and made him look bad more than once.

Still, 3 years for a fragile psyched reliever seems foolish.

W

eaganmafia
11-12-2008, 04:33 PM
Two first round pick>Marte

chisoxmike
11-12-2008, 04:35 PM

Ozzie said something at SoxFest a few years ago that they had to get rid of Marte because "you all were going to kill him."

:rolling:

oeo
11-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Ozzie said something at SoxFest a few years ago that they had to get rid of Marte because "you all were going to kill him."

If Ozzie didn't do it first. Wasn't he a total asswhipe? I seem to remember problems in the clubhouse with him.

JGarlandrules20
11-12-2008, 06:36 PM
If Ozzie didn't do it first. Wasn't he a total asswhipe? I seem to remember problems in the clubhouse with him.

He showed up late to a game and Ozzie questioned his injury a few times but that's the only thing I can think of.

I always liked watching him pitch, as frustrating as he was in the second half of '05. I kept hoping he'd wake up one day and return to his '03 form, I guess. With that said, he was still a big part of our bullpen that season and he got the win in game 3 of the world series. :smile:

I think the spotlight in NY will get to him and they'll regret giving him 3 years...

Billy Ashley
11-12-2008, 07:06 PM
I like Marte more than most, but why didn't NY simply pick up his option instead waiving it, offering him arb and then signing him to a multi year deal.

3 years for any arm in the pen is a risk, this seems really foolish given that they could have had him back for 1 year at 3 million.

Lundind1
11-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Also, keep this in mind:

That was almost too close for comfort with the way that the Red Sox have a way of coming back from the dead.

Lundind1
11-12-2008, 07:49 PM
I like Marte more than most, but why didn't NY simply pick up his option instead waiving it, offering him arb and then signing him to a multi year deal.

3 years for any arm in the pen is a risk, this seems really foolish given that they could have had him back for 1 year at 3 million.

It is just the Yankee way of doing business now. They have had pitching problems and how they need it so bad. With this signing it just makes me wonder if they really want to win at all anytime soon. I wish that I could have the skills Marte does and get paid to get booed off the field.

Brian26
11-12-2008, 08:21 PM
Also, keep this in mind:

That got an actual LOL.

Billy Ashley
11-12-2008, 09:08 PM
It is just the Yankee way of doing business now. They have had pitching problems and how they need it so bad. With this signing it just makes me wonder if they really want to win at all anytime soon. I wish that I could have the skills Marte does and get paid to get booed off the field.

I don't think picking up his option would have been a bad move at all. The guy has his warts (BBs) but he's still been a very effective reliever despite that. At the very least he's a very capable guy for the 11th or 12 man on a pitching staff (depending on how many arms one ones, but let's face it most teams go 12 now a days anyway).

The move doesn't hurt NY in the near future. Given their wealth of revenue it likely won't hurt them in the future future either. It's just not very efficient spending.

Since leaving the White Sox, Marte's been an exceptional reliever, an average one and for a very short time, an awful one. I don't suspect he'll be much different over the length of the contract with NY, he'll likely be down right nasty at times. The question is, with New York's money and their fairly bright front office (Hank no included of course), why would they blow three years one Marte when they could have simply picked up the option and gambled on him being effective for 09 and repeating then offering him a mega deal after? Like I said, I doubt it will cripple a team like NY, but that three year deal may lead to some flexibility issues.

Lundind1
11-12-2008, 11:48 PM
I don't think picking up his option would have been a bad move at all. The guy has his warts (BBs) but he's still been a very effective reliever despite that. At the very least he's a very capable guy for the 11th or 12 man on a pitching staff (depending on how many arms one ones, but let's face it most teams go 12 now a days anyway).

The move doesn't hurt NY in the near future. Given their wealth of revenue it likely won't hurt them in the future future either. It's just not very efficient spending.

Since leaving the White Sox, Marte's been an exceptional reliever, an average one and for a very short time, an awful one. I don't suspect he'll be much different over the length of the contract with NY, he'll likely be down right nasty at times. The question is, with New York's money and their fairly bright front office (Hank no included of course), why would they blow three years one Marte when they could have simply picked up the option and gambled on him being effective for 09 and repeating then offering him a mega deal after? Like I said, I doubt it will cripple a team like NY, but that three year deal may lead to some flexibility issues.

My thought was based on the fact that since 04, I have not been very impressed with him in pressure situations. I understand what you are saying with the flexibility and the affordability of his contract. I was thinking that just sheer talent wise the Yankees could have done better than that, in an area that they need so desperately. Just my two cents...

I like your angle on that one though.

esbrechtel
11-13-2008, 02:11 PM
ever since the 4th of july (I believe it was 2004) when he walked in the winning run with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 9th against the cubs I hated that guy....

Didn't we originally trade him for Rob Mackowiak?

DSpivack
11-13-2008, 03:34 PM
ever since the 4th of july (I believe it was 2004) when he walked in the winning run with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 9th against the cubs I hated that guy....

Didn't we originally trade him for Rob Mackowiak?

We traded Matt Guerrier to get him; we traded him away to get Mackowiak.

MHOUSE
11-13-2008, 09:51 PM
Marte was a good get for Kenny. We got him for cheap and then got a year of Rob Macowiak back for him. He sucked in the clutch (walking in the winning run @ Wrigley) but overall he was pretty effective and has put up good numbers pitching in Pittsburgh with 0 pressure. He also came through and ate up some crucial innings as the last man in game 3 of the 2005 WS until Blum saved the day (and Buehrle got to save the game, one of my favorite moments of that season).

I think the Yankees will regret a 3 year deal. They still clearly don't appreciate building from within (like the Rays) or they'd have done the smart thing and taken the draft picks.

Sox4ever77
11-13-2008, 11:06 PM
Marte was a good get for Kenny. We got him for cheap and then got a year of Rob Macowiak back for him. He sucked in the clutch (walking in the winning run @ Wrigley) but overall he was pretty effective and has put up good numbers pitching in Pittsburgh with 0 pressure. He also came through and ate up some crucial innings as the last man in game 3 of the 2005 WS until Blum saved the day (and Buehrle got to save the game, one of my favorite moments of that season).

I think the Yankees will regret a 3 year deal. They still clearly don't appreciate building from within (like the Rays) or they'd have done the smart thing and taken the draft picks.

Or maybe they don't have a major league ready LHP to replace him?