PDA

View Full Version : Lincecum Wins NL Cy Young

Marqhead
11-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Congrats to him, I certainly felt he was most deserving of the award.

EDIT: Lincecum received 23 of 32 first-place votes and 137 points

Billy Ashley
11-11-2008, 02:27 PM
Best season won it, good to see.

The NL had a whole heck of a lot of good single season pitching performances. While I'd have been disappointed to see anyone else win it, Santana, Webb and Sabathia all had fairly remarkable seasons in their own right.

Now if anyone other than Lee wins it in the AL, I will throw a hissy.

munchman33
11-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Wow. The writers actually got it right. He was an easy snub candadite.

DumpJerry
11-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Now if anyone other than Lee wins it in the AL, I will throw a hissy.
What if that someone turns out to be Gavin Floyd?

Just sayin'.

I expect him in the top 5.

Billy Ashley
11-11-2008, 02:30 PM

Just sayin'.

Floyd shouldn't sniff the Cy Young, in fact if I were KW, I'd trade him while his value is high. His peripherals sucked this season. Now Danks, I could see him winning a couple Cy's should he stay healthy.

munchman33
11-11-2008, 02:57 PM
Floyd shouldn't sniff the Cy Young, in fact if I were KW, I'd trade him while his value is high. His peripherals sucked this season. Now Danks, I could see him winning a couple Cy's should he stay healthy.

LOL...trade Floyd because his peripherals suck and keep Vazquez because his peripherals were good. Stats gone wild!

Keep Floyd because he's good and trade Vazquez because he isn't.

Boondock Saint
11-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Floyd shouldn't sniff the Cy Young, in fact if I were KW, I'd trade him while his value is high. His peripherals sucked this season.

:bundy:

Billy Ashley
11-11-2008, 03:05 PM
LOL...trade Floyd because his peripherals suck and keep Vazquez because his peripherals were good. Stats gone wild!

Keep Floyd because he's good and trade Vazquez because he isn't.

When did I say keep Vazquez btw, he's got a career of under performing. I wouldn't trade him unless I got good value in return, but I don't think he's suddenly going to break out at his current age.

Boondock Saint
11-11-2008, 03:07 PM
When did I say keep Vazquez btw, he's got a career of under performing. I wouldn't trade him unless I got good value in return, but I don't think he's suddenly going to break out at his current age.

So it's a good idea to go into the season with a rotation of Buehrle/Danks/Richard/?/?

Billy Ashley
11-11-2008, 03:09 PM
So it's a good idea to go into the season with a rotation of Buehrle/Danks/Richard/?/?

Straw man much?

I would like to know when I argued that Williams should trade both pitchers and not improve the rotation elsewhere, all I argued is that Floyd likely has more value on the trade market than he has in real life.

Eddo144
11-11-2008, 03:21 PM

Just sayin'.

I'd be shocked.

You have Lee and Halladay as the top two, no questions asked (and it's closer than most everyone acknowledges).

Unfortunately, Rodriguez is probably up there.

Danks had a better year than Floyd. So did just about any Angels pitcher (Saunders, Santana, Lackey) in the eyes of the writers.

Not saying he doesn't deserve it, but I'll be amazed if Floyd receives more than a handful of fifth place (or better) votes, let alone finishes in the top five.

Boondock Saint
11-11-2008, 03:21 PM
Straw man much?

I would like to know when I argued that Williams should trade both pitchers and not improve the rotation elsewhere, all I argued is that Floyd likely has more value on the trade market than he has in real life.

...and it's just that easy to build a rotation, right? Just point at who you like and damn the price. Statring pitching is harder/more expensive to acquire than any other position in baseball. Do you think it's just as simple as removing all but 2 of our starters from last year and anyone we want is immediately available because we don't have enough pitchers to start a season with?

Billy Ashley
11-11-2008, 03:29 PM
...and it's just that easy to build a rotation, right? Just point at who you like and damn the price. Statring pitching is harder/more expensive to acquire than any other position in baseball. Do you think it's just as simple as removing all but 2 of our starters from last year and anyone we want is immediately available because we don't have enough pitchers to start a season with?

We are hijacking this thread, but I don't remember saying that Williams should trade both starters. All I said was that if I were Williams, I'd look to trade Floyd because his perceived value could net a ton and his real value is likely much less. Someone else stated that Vazquez has good peripherals and bad numbers (as he has done a number of times in his career, something that is very very odd btw) and I retorted, I'd be open to trading him as well.

Clearly if you trade one, it limits your ability to trade the other. My question to you is: Why dump the guy who's value has never been lower (thus having to settle for a subpar package) when the other could net much much more. Furthermore, the guy with rocket high value isn't a good pitcher- he's an average pitcher that was extraordinarily lucky.

For the record, their are two players I wouldn't trade if I was Kenny Williams-

Nick Swisher- he was really unlucky last season and his value is in the crapper. The guy is still an excellent player and very affordable and trading him for nickels on the dollar would be a mistake.

John Danks- He's got a chance to be very special, is young and cost controlled for a while. Unlike Floyd who is older, has more service time and honestly, isn't nearly as good a pitcher.

veeter
11-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Good for him, I love that kid.

eaganmafia
11-11-2008, 03:37 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing KW trade Gavin. His numbers tooks a huge dive in the second half and his BABIP showed his numbers were pretty lucky.

Sell high IMO.

veeter
11-11-2008, 03:39 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing KW trade Gavin. His numbers tooks a huge dive in the second half and his BABIP showed his numbers were pretty lucky.

Sell high IMO.My brain is now melting.

eaganmafia
11-11-2008, 03:40 PM
My brain is now melting.

Too much to melt to wrap your head around?

thomas35forever
11-11-2008, 04:03 PM
He definitely deserved it. He's going to be a stud in this league for a long time.

Billy Ashley
11-11-2008, 04:08 PM
He definitely deserved it. He's going to be a stud in this league for a long time.

Let's just hope the Giants stop abusing the kid. He pitched way too deep into some pretty large leads last season.

palehozenychicty
11-11-2008, 04:09 PM
Congrats to The Freak. I saw him start against the Rockies while I visited Frisco at AT&T Park and he was unreal. He painted the corners, threw inside, and just had good command, over 132 pitches with 10 Ks! The garlic fries and beer selection were good, too. :D:
I do wonder how his frame will hold up over time, and there's been talk of converting him into a closer. With a Cy Young, though, that's not going to be for a little while.
link (http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/pgl_finder.cgi?n1=linceti01#n1=linceti01&as=result_pitcher&offset=0&st=&WL=any&team_lg=&opp_lg=NL&throws=any&HV=any&Role=anyGS&DEC=any&c1val=0&c2val=0&c3val=0&c4val=0&firstgames=&firstteamgames=&min_year_game=2007&max_year_game=2008&series=any&series_game=any&team_id=SFG&opp_id=COL&game_site=SFO03&orderby=SO&c1pgl=&c1gtlt=eq&c2pgl=&c2gtlt=eq&c3pgl=&c3gtlt=eq&c4pgl=&c4gtlt=eq)

chaerulez
11-11-2008, 05:57 PM

Just sayin'.

If Gavin Floyd wins the AL Cy Young, I'd probably flip out. It'd be a sham of an award. The guy had a nice win loss record, but he was pretty average in everything else.

getonbckthr
11-11-2008, 08:35 PM
Not saying he didnt deserve it but I thought it would have been closer.

sox1970
11-11-2008, 08:55 PM
If Gavin Floyd wins the AL Cy Young, I'd probably flip out. It'd be a sham of an award. The guy had a nice win loss record, but he was pretty average in everything else.

The voters only vote top 3 for the Cy, therefore Gavin Floyd will get zero votes.

Billy Ashley
11-11-2008, 10:01 PM
As he should, if their is any justice (and I doubt it)

1) Lee
2) Halladay
3) Lester

If K-Rod finishes first or second I'll kick over furniture.

I'd rank the Cy Young as follows:

1) Lee
2) Hallady
3) Lester
4) Mussina
5) Danks
6) Santana
7) Shields
8) Floyd
9) Matsuzaka
10) Saunders

K-Rod doesn't do much for me. I'd rank him well behind Soria, Nathan, Rivera, Papelbon, and Jenks too.

(On an interesting note- I think 8-10 will be lucky to be average next season)

BadBobbyJenks
11-11-2008, 10:31 PM
Johan should have come in 2nd IMO.

soxwon
11-11-2008, 10:32 PM
cubs just traded for Peavy and Linncecum

MHOUSE
11-12-2008, 12:08 AM
Lincecum deserved it, hands down. He was awesome all year and hardly had a bad start. Webb had a lot of wins, but he was rough up a few times and wasn't dominant throughout like Lincecum was. I wonder if his innings total, pitch counts, and San Fran riding him down the stretch (to push him for the award?) will hurt in 2009. Strange to think such a crap team now has two Cy Young-winners on their staff....

EuroSox35
11-12-2008, 05:14 AM
I would have voted for Santana.

Look at his game log http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/gamelog?playerId=4280 , especially for the end of the year, it's sick! Look at those pitch counts, I remember that last game he pitched, it was huge. 3 days rest after 125 pitches and he comes up with the complete game shutout. Yeah, the Mets missed the playoffs, but it had nothing to do with him. 0 losses since Jun, never gave up more then 4 runs in a loss, pitched in a good division, best performances when it mattered most, etc.