PDA

View Full Version : Vazquez - Figgins Deal?

Lip Man 1
11-11-2008, 11:23 AM
Maybe.....

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1252225,CST-SPT-sox31.article

Lip

Jurr
11-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Dude.....I friggin' hope so.

LoveYourSuit
11-11-2008, 11:30 AM
What part of not playing in the West Coast does the media not understand?

Javy is not going west of here. Those are his trade rights.

eaganmafia
11-11-2008, 11:32 AM
He has a NTC to the West Coast.

soxfan43
11-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Gotta love writers who don't do their homework. Lazy bastards

TheOldRoman
11-11-2008, 11:35 AM
I made the mistake of opening that link. In the first paragraph, Cowley talks about the Sox' "postseason collapse".:rolleyes:

Gammons Peter
11-11-2008, 11:37 AM
That's an old article, recycled with todays date

NLaloosh
11-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Not only would Javy not got there but that would be way overpaying for Figgins. He's not that good.

chisoxmike
11-11-2008, 11:46 AM
That's an old article, recycled with todays date

Yeah, wow. Did Cowley just cut and paste old articles for today?

Geez.

LoveYourSuit
11-11-2008, 11:48 AM
I made the mistake of opening that link. In the first paragraph, Cowley talks about the Sox' "postseason collapse".:rolleyes:

I think you can ask Kenny and he will agree on that.

I agree on that too. The AL was up for grabs this year, TB was not as good as they looked against us.

LoveYourSuit
11-11-2008, 11:52 AM
Not only would Javy not got there but that would be way overpaying for Figgins. He's not that good.

Good point.

As bad as Javy was last year, his 200 innings are more valueable to me right now than what Figgins brings to the table. I guess an arguement can be made if you are trying to cut payroll, there it is a no brainer.

I only do a Figgins trade if it means Paulie is part of the deal and we get another propect thrown in there. Reason for that is that we do have a back up plan at 1B already in Swisher and would make sense to cut the higher cost in Paulie.

Chez
11-11-2008, 11:52 AM
What part of not playing in the West Coast does the media not understand?

Javy is not going west of here. Those are his trade rights.

Anyone know why Javy would seek a NTC to the West Coast? I can kind of understand players not wanting to play in the East Coast markets (too much media and fan pressure), but why wouldn't a player not want to play on the West Coast?

soxfan43
11-11-2008, 11:54 AM
Anyone know why Javy would seek a NTC to the West Coast? I can kind of understand players not wanting to play in the East Coast markets (too much media and fan pressure), but why wouldn't a player not want to play on the West Coast?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it has to do with family. I know he's from Puerto Rico, so that's obviously a lot farther away from the West Coast than other markets.

wilburaga
11-11-2008, 11:57 AM

I believe I recall Javy stating that the West Coast was too far from his family.

Javy's certainly a physically durable pitcher, but there are aspects of his psyche that suggest fragility.

W

doublem23
11-11-2008, 11:59 AM
I believe I recall Javy stating that the West Coast was too far from his family.

Javy's certainly a physically durable pitcher, but there are aspects of his psyche that suggest fragility.

W

Jeez, the guy just doesn't want to be 3,000 miles from his family. What a *****.

Jimmy Piersall
11-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it has to do with family. I know he's from Puerto Rico, so that's obviously a lot farther away from the West Coast than other markets.

Although some of our beaches out here (SoCal) might remind him
of those back in his beloved Puerto Rico,and after all,Javy does
love his beaches. :wink:

Tragg
Who do we have in mind for 4th and 5th starters, should we trade Javy?

kittle42
Jeez, the guy just doesn't want to be 3,000 miles from his family. What a *****.

Remember, they're professional athletes. We pay their salaries! They should be happy to do whatever anyone wants them to do! Look at all that money they make!

doublem23
11-11-2008, 12:02 PM
Who do we have in mind for 4th and 5th starters, should we trade Javy?

All the people who want to run Javier out of town don't have a good answer for that question.

http://www.millsworks.net/images/torch_mob.jpg
Um... When will Contreras be back?

DumpJerry
11-11-2008, 12:08 PM
All the people who want to run Javier out of town don't have a good answer for that question.
The Tribune today has the answer (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-11-whitesox-chicagonov11,0,2907010.story). Get the ROY and Cy Young trophies ready.

TheOldRoman
11-11-2008, 12:08 PM
I think you can ask Kenny and he will agree on that.

I agree on that too. The AL was up for grabs this year, TB was not as good as they looked against us.They faced a better, more balanced, and completely healthy team (aside from Percival, who sucked). They lost in 4 games after losing the first two on the road. That is hardly a collapse. It was disappointing, but the word collapse implies the Sox were in the drivers seat and choked. That wasn't the case.

cbrownson13
11-11-2008, 12:09 PM
If Javy would accept a trade the the West coast -- which he won't -- I would do this deal in a heartbeat. Figgins immediately fills three glaring holes on this team. He gives leadoff ability, speed, and can play 3B/2B. He has been injured a little more than I'd like over the past two years, but he's worth Javy, IMO. All Javy has given us is an innings eater. And for $11.5 million per year. Garland could probably be signed for cheaper than that and give the Sox the same amount of innings with about the same stats, minus the strikeouts.

Of course, all of this is moot since Javy can block trades to NL and AL West teams.

Tragg
11-11-2008, 12:17 PM
The Tribune today has the answer (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-11-whitesox-chicagonov11,0,2907010.story). Get the ROY and Cy Young trophies ready.
Yikes
I'm okay with Poreda in the pen. Richard at 5th starter, too....but you need a backup plan.
And a 4th starter.

Thome25
11-11-2008, 12:17 PM
Javy does alot of traveling to and from his home in Puerto Rico. I remember hearing that the reason he doesn't want to play on the west coast is because it makes it that much farther for him to have to travel to his family in Puerto Rico.

turners56
11-11-2008, 12:22 PM

W

Because his family and Puerto Rico are the most important things ever! Family and Puerto Rico > pitching.

kittle42
11-11-2008, 12:34 PM
Because his family and Puerto Rico are the most important things ever! Family and Puerto Rico > pitching.

Is there something wrong with that?

Konerko05
11-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Is there something wrong with that?

Yes. Vazquez should be a computerized pitching machine without feelings or emotions.

munchman33
11-11-2008, 12:41 PM

http://www.millsworks.net/images/torch_mob.jpg
Um... When will Contreras be back?

Sign or trade for....ANYONE.

Statistically, Javy was something like the 80th best starting pitcher in baseball last year. Not exactly rocket science that you can find a replacement for that production.

TheOldRoman
11-11-2008, 12:41 PM
Because his family and Puerto Rico are the most important things ever! Family and Puerto Rico > pitching.:rolleyes: I am assuming you are making fun of his comments before the Minnesota game, which were taken out of context. He was asked about his "legacy" and what people thought about him, and he basically said "I try to do my best. I always want to win, but I don't care what people say. All that matters is family. Years from now, I will be with my family, and it doesn't bother me what anyone thinks of my career." Ozzie made his comments about Javy, and the Sun Times ran with it as if Javy's comments were in response to Ozzie's, like he was saying he didn't care what Ozzie said.

This is just like when Swisher was "furious at Ozzie" for being benched. He said no comment when asked about it, and the press took that as saying "Swisher is pissed at Ozzie, hates the team." They then ran to Ozzie to tell him that Swisher was pissed at being benched, and hilarity ensued. People still fall for the crap the newspapers pull. It is easy to take quotes out of context to start a controversy. Fun, too!

soltrain21
11-11-2008, 12:47 PM
:rolleyes: I am assuming you are making fun of his comments before the Minnesota game, which were taken out of context. He was asked about his "legacy" and what people thought about him, and he basically said "I try to do my best. I always want to win, but I don't care what people say. All that matters is family. Years from now, I will be with my family, and it doesn't bother me what anyone thinks of my career." Ozzie made his comments about Javy, and the Sun Times ran with it as if Javy's comments were in response to Ozzie's, like he was saying he didn't care what Ozzie said.

This is just like when Swisher was "furious at Ozzie" for being benched. He said no comment when asked about it, and the press took that as saying "Swisher is pissed at Ozzie, hates the team." They then ran to Ozzie to tell him that Swisher was pissed at being benched, and hilarity ensued. People still fall for the crap the newspapers pull. It is easy to take quotes out of context to start a controversy. Fun, too!

Having a bad work life but a great home life is far better than having a great work life and a ****ty home life.

veeter
11-11-2008, 12:53 PM
It's amazing how many of these trade suggestions never indicate who will take the place of that traded player.

TheOldRoman
11-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Having a bad work life but a great home life is far better than having a great work life and a ****ty home life.Yeah, and it wasn't as if he said "**** you guys. I am making $13 million a year. I'm rich, beyotch! I don't care how I pitch, because I will still have my family and still be able to swim through a giant vault filled with my entire fortune in the form of dollar coins." People went off the deep end at his comments, but it was largely because of the way it was presented by the press, as if Vazquez said "I don't care" in response to Ozzie calling him out.

eaganmafia
11-11-2008, 12:55 PM
It's amazing how many of these trade suggestions never indicate who will take the place of that traded player.

What I find amazing is how the White Sox win everything trade proposal.

doublem23
11-11-2008, 01:03 PM

Statistically, Javy was something like the 80th best starting pitcher in baseball last year. Not exactly rocket science that you can find a replacement for that production.

What world do you live in that starting pitchers magically grow on trees for cheap? Anyway, even if he was the 80th best pitcher in baseball, given that there are 30 teams, he should be something like a 3rd starter, so the fact that he's clearly the #4 guy on the staff right now serves to show what depth at SP the Sox have, and would be ridiculous to merely throw away with no real back-up plan. If you think you can just find a guy with a 4.67 ERA/200 K/200+ IP laying around in our crappy farm system or the FA pool, be my guest but I doubt it in the former case and it would be very, very expensive in the latter.

WhiteSox5187
11-11-2008, 01:12 PM
Well, I'd make this trade in a heart beat, but I don't think Javy approves this. It's not going to happen.

JermaineDye05
11-11-2008, 01:22 PM
I'm surprised this thread is still up. Considering his NTC to the west coast, as people have said "It ain't gonna happen".

Jimmy Piersall
11-11-2008, 01:42 PM
What I find amazing is how the White Sox win everything trade proposal.

Won't be much different on any Twins board though...by the way,
how about that coin flip deal ? :wink:

AzureJazzMan
11-11-2008, 01:55 PM
Would the Angels be interested in Swisher (instead of Konerko) for Figgins, if they can't re-sign Tex?

Nick's got an affordable salary, and has a solid 1B glove, and a good career OBP. It seems (on the surface), that he would fit right in with the Halos.

munchman33
11-11-2008, 02:02 PM
What world do you live in that starting pitchers magically grow on trees for cheap? Anyway, even if he was the 80th best pitcher in baseball, given that there are 30 teams, he should be something like a 3rd starter, so the fact that he's clearly the #4 guy on the staff right now serves to show what depth at SP the Sox have, and would be ridiculous to merely throw away with no real back-up plan. If you think you can just find a guy with a 4.67 ERA/200 K/200+ IP laying around in our crappy farm system or the FA pool, be my guest but I doubt it in the former case and it would be very, very expensive in the latter.

There's actually quite a bit of pitching on the market this year. And the 200 K/200+ IP part isn't as important as people make it out to be. 180 innings of 3+ era is better than 200 innings of near 5. I shouldn't have to explain why.

Jimmy Piersall
11-11-2008, 02:15 PM
Would the Angels be interested in Swisher (instead of Konerko) for Figgins, if they can't re-sign Tex?

Nick's got an affordable salary, and has a solid 1B glove, and a good career OBP. It seems (on the surface), that he would fit right in with the Halos.

I think the Angel brass would all vomit simultaneously (sp ?)
if Kenny even thought of bringing that offer to the table.

AZChiSoxFan
11-11-2008, 02:39 PM

:rolleyes: Oh sure. In fact, I've got an even better offer. How about the Sox offer them Contreras for Figgins?

GMAB

Gammons Peter
11-11-2008, 02:47 PM
What a great article..... I learned that....

"They started with several official moves Thursday. As expected, they declined Ken Griffey Jr.'s $16.5 million option for 2009, making the future Hall of Famer a free agent. They also declined the $2.25 million option on reserve catcher Toby Hall, but the two sides have just over two weeks to talk about a new deal to keep Hall as a key backup to A.J. Pierzynski."

AND...

"The Sox also agreed to terms on a one-year contract with free-agent infielder Jayson Nix."

Flight #24
11-11-2008, 03:25 PM

You just made the point.

So he's a mid-tier #3 given that there are 30 teams. And those kind of guys get 3-5 years at $12-15M per in FA. So a mid-tier #3 on a good contract, i.e. not something you just toss for crap.

doublem23
11-11-2008, 03:55 PM
There's actually quite a bit of pitching on the market this year. And the 200 K/200+ IP part isn't as important as people make it out to be. 180 innings of 3+ era is better than 200 innings of near 5. I shouldn't have to explain why.

I agree, but I don't see us finding the money or the prospects to nab a guy who can throw 180 innings and an ERA around 3.

If the 4th best pitcher on your staff is Javier Vazquez, you're in good shape.

khan
11-11-2008, 04:01 PM
Munch has a hard-on to "get rid of Javy," without ever proposing any realistic/viable alternatives. Javy had a poor ending to the season, and despite his positives, the last 4 starts for Javy makes Munchman as silly as a cub fan. In no fewer than 3 threads I've posted in, he's never come up with a realistic/viable alternative to Vazquez. For that matter, he's never come up with a viable/realistic option to replace the injured Contreras in all the Vazquez threads I've seen.

He fails to see that the SOX already are down a SP, and sees no reason why the SOX can't go into 2009 with only 3 SPs. Let him continue to do what he does on each and every Vazquez thread all he wants. Because he doesn't seem to understand how the real world works, unfortunately...

kittle42
11-11-2008, 04:14 PM
Munch has a hard-on to "get rid of Javy," without ever proposing any realistic/viable alternatives.

He keeps trying - and failing - to show that "almost anyone" can replace him.

LoveYourSuit
11-11-2008, 04:18 PM
He keeps trying - and failing - to show that "almost anyone" can replace him.

Same way he was trying to justify his stand on why after 1 pre-season game D Rose was going to be the biggest bust in NBA history.

:rolleyes:

soxfan43
11-11-2008, 04:21 PM
Same way he was trying to justify his stand on why after 1 pre-season game D Rose was going to be the biggest bust in NBA history.

:rolleyes:

Ha, is that the same dude? That thread was ridiculous about Rose.

SoxSpeed22
11-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Yes, that is the same dude.
Anywho, if Javy is dealt, I would rather try and get Carlos Beltran from the Mets. The Sox might have to add another player to make that happen.
Edit: I also know that the Mets are in the running for Cano, and Beltran is being offered, so KW might have to sweeten the pot.

munchman33
11-11-2008, 08:11 PM
Munch has a hard-on to "get rid of Javy," without ever proposing any realistic/viable alternatives. Javy had a poor ending to the season, and despite his positives, the last 4 starts for Javy makes Munchman as silly as a cub fan. In no fewer than 3 threads I've posted in, he's never come up with a realistic/viable alternative to Vazquez. For that matter, he's never come up with a viable/realistic option to replace the injured Contreras in all the Vazquez threads I've seen.

He fails to see that the SOX already are down a SP, and sees no reason why the SOX can't go into 2009 with only 3 SPs. Let him continue to do what he does on each and every Vazquez thread all he wants. Because he doesn't seem to understand how the real world works, unfortunately...

Javy was 69th in ERA last year. So there are 65 guys we can trade for or sign to be our fourth starter who had a better year than Javy.

Javy's 16 losses was fourth worst in baseball. Meaning there's every pitcher in baseball minus four who we can acquire that didn't do as poorly as Javy did last year.

You want to argue Javy might bounce back and have a good year? In the last decade, Javy has been above league average in ERA on a team in competition zero times. In fact, he's never had a league average pitcher on a team that been closer than 10 games out of first. He has, however, had five above average seasons for teams 10 or more games out of first.

It doesn't take a genius to figure Javy Vazquez out. It does, however, take a grade A moron to rely on him.

Craig Grebeck
11-11-2008, 08:29 PM
Javy was 69th in ERA last year. So there are 65 guys we can trade for or sign to be our fourth starter who had a better year than Javy.

Javy's 16 losses was fourth worst in baseball. Meaning there's every pitcher in baseball minus four who we can acquire that didn't do as poorly as Javy did last year.

You want to argue Javy might bounce back and have a good year? In the last decade, Javy has been above league average in ERA on a team in competition zero times. In fact, he's never had a league average pitcher on a team that been closer than 10 games out of first. He has, however, had five above average seasons for teams 10 or more games out of first.

It doesn't take a genius to figure Javy Vazquez out. It does, however, take a grade A moron to rely on him.
It also takes a grade A moron to think W/L are relevant to evaluating a pitcher.

Brian26
11-11-2008, 08:42 PM
It also takes a grade A moron to think W/L are relevant to evaluating a pitcher.

ERA, WHIP, BAA are the three most important factors, but W-L is by no means completely irrelevant either, especially for a pitcher on a very talented offensive club.

Daver
11-11-2008, 09:28 PM

Munch, what is the most valuable commodity in all of proffesional baseball?

munchman33
11-11-2008, 09:35 PM
Munch, what is the most valuable commodity in all of proffesional baseball?

Javy Vazquez, if you read WSI...

I'm not saying give him away. I'm saying replace him with something better. Which is very possible.

At least I'm not the nut saying trade Gavin. :shrug:

Daver
11-11-2008, 09:39 PM

I'm not saying give him away. I'm saying replace him with something better. Which is very possible.

What is better and available at the same money?

And whoever it is has to deliver the same number of innings per season.

kittle42
11-11-2008, 10:13 PM
What is better and available at the same money?

And whoever it is has to deliver the same number of innings per season.

He has said before that a guy with a 6 ERA at lower money is a better replacement. There is no winning for us here.

cards press box
11-11-2008, 10:43 PM

Yeah, I don't understand why anyone wants to see the Sox deal Gavin Floyd, either. I suspect that the Sox are taking the approach you suggest -- trade Javy for either prospects or a 2B or a CF and bring in another veteran starter. I have not heard any rumors to this effect but doesn't Jon Garland seem like a possible free agent option if the Sox deal Vazquez?

WhiteSox5187
11-11-2008, 10:53 PM
munch, what is the most valuable commodity in all of proffesional baseball?
power and lots of it!

Daver
11-11-2008, 11:00 PM
power and lots of it!

The correct answer is corner outfielders, you all fail the test.

kittle42
11-11-2008, 11:08 PM

I would have guess height-challenged sidekicks.

Daver
11-11-2008, 11:16 PM
I would have guess height-challenged sidekicks.

Well if they are also corner outfeilders...

You can never have enough corner outfielders.

Nellie_Fox
11-11-2008, 11:35 PM
Munch, what is the most valuable commodity in all of proffesional baseball?I can't believe that I can come along this long after the question and no one has give the obvious answer...churros!

munchman33
11-11-2008, 11:49 PM
He has said before that a guy with a 6 ERA at lower money is a better replacement. There is no winning for us here.

You're thinking of someone else.

Craig Grebeck
11-11-2008, 11:54 PM
You're thinking of someone else.
You're right, you've never said you'd rather have Mark Hendrickson, Matt Clement, Carl Pavano, Sidney Ponson, Josh Fogg, and Livan Hernandez.
(http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2082690&highlight=hendrickson#post2082690)

munchman33
11-11-2008, 11:59 PM
You're right, you've never said you'd rather have Mark Hendrickson, Matt Clement, Carl Pavano, Sidney Ponson, Josh Fogg, and Livan Hernandez.
(http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2082690&highlight=hendrickson#post2082690)

The original poster said 6 era. Not 5. There's no reason to believe any of those guys would post a 6 era in the American League next year, as none of them did last year. Fogg did in the NL, but only because he was hurt and barely pitched. He's never been THAT bad before.

All of those guys will be around a 5 era. But so will Javy. So salary is the only difference, and they are the obvious non-biased for current sox players choice.

While I believe they're all better options because off cost, they're all #5 options. This team has four starters, but they have 1-3 and a number 5. We need a number 4, which means less money at #5.

Craig Grebeck
11-12-2008, 12:04 AM
The original poster said 6 era. Not 5. There's no reason to believe any of those guys would post a 6 era in the American League next year, as none of them did last year. Fogg did in the NL, but only because he was hurt and barely pitched. He's never been THAT bad before.

All of those guys will be around a 5 era. But so will Javy. So salary is the only difference, and they are the obvious non-biased for current sox players choice.

While I believe they're all better options because off cost, they're all #5 options. This team has four starters, but they have 1-3 and a number 5. We need a number 4, which means less money at #5.
Your definition of a number five is troubling. Javier is a number four, at the absolute worst. I've posted the average ERA numbers for starters 1-5 before, I'm not sure what else I'm supposed to do. Javier is a clear cut middle of the rotation guy.

kittle42
11-12-2008, 01:07 AM
The original poster said 6 era. Not 5. There's no reason to believe any of those guys would post a 6 era in the American League next year

You're right. Hendrickson would probably come in around 7.

WhiteSox5187
11-12-2008, 01:54 AM
Ah, but to be a good corner outfielder one must have lots of power, no? And preferably a high strike out ratio and the ability to clog the bases with mediocre at best defense. That is TRULY the most valuable commodity in the game.

Frater Perdurabo
11-12-2008, 05:46 AM

I thought it was slow-footed power-hitting 1B/DH-types.

kittle42
11-12-2008, 09:36 AM
I thought it was slow-footed power-hitting 1B/DH-types.

If you're depserate, you can put them in LF, too!

khan
11-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Well, W/L and so-called "Earned" run average, as well.

Walks + Hits/Innings Pitched, and Strikeouts/Walks ratio are far more useful, IMHO. [NOTE: I did not post that they are the "only" metrics that matter, just that W/L and "E"RA are not all that relevant.]

But this is immaterial. Munch hasn't, and won't specify exactly WHO KW should acquire that has the requisite durability, experience, and ability, AND would come at a comparable price as Vazquez; All while not further depleting an already-threadbare organization. Because munch CAN'T do it.

guillensdisciple
11-12-2008, 10:20 AM
I guess I haven't been on this board long enough, but does Munchman have a reputation for making really extreme statements from time to time?

Also is there a bitter battle between Daver and someone else?

I have received quite a few laughs from reading some of the posts by Munchman and Daver over the past few weeks.

Thome25
11-12-2008, 10:21 AM
What about a Vazquez-J.J. Hardy deal? Apparently, the Brewers are shopping him and Mike Cameron for pitching. Hardy could play SS for us with Alexei staying at 2B. He's be a good fit for our youth movement because he'll only be 27 next year. I'm sure we'll have to include Javy in a package deal.

Brian26
11-12-2008, 09:27 PM
What about a Vazquez-J.J. Hardy deal? Apparently, the Brewers are shopping him and Mike Cameron for pitching. Hardy could play SS for us with Alexei staying at 2B. He's be a good fit for our youth movement because he'll only be 27 next year. I'm sure we'll have to include Javy in a package deal.

That would be great. Then we could watch Javy piss in his pants against the Cubs down the stretch next year.