PDA

View Full Version : Dan Uggla?

gr8mexico
11-10-2008, 08:53 PM
It looks like Dan Uggla is going to be made available after the Marlins acquired Emilio Bonifacio. Should the Sox trade for Uggla?

http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=462564

Rockabilly
11-10-2008, 08:54 PM
would love to have Uggla on the Sox...

what would it take to get him

chaerulez
11-10-2008, 08:57 PM
would love to have Uggla on the Sox...

what would it take to get him

Trade anyone in the farm except Beckham. Maybe Poreda + a mid level would do it?

thomas35forever
11-10-2008, 09:00 PM
Uggla would be a huge upgrade at second. If the price is right, we need to get him.

Sargeant79
11-10-2008, 09:03 PM
Like all trades, it depends on what we'd be giving up.

IIRC, he's not very fast and his defense is suspect. He has a lot of power and RBI potential, but we have a lot of guys like that already. I'm not sure he'd be worth what we'd likely have to give up to get him.

chisoxmike
11-10-2008, 09:03 PM
Uh, yes. If possible.

Craig Grebeck
11-10-2008, 09:07 PM
Eh. I'm intrigued by his road splits but concerned about his defense.

kittle42
11-10-2008, 09:12 PM
He'd fit in perfectly with our HR or K lineup.

turners56
11-10-2008, 09:35 PM
Let's hope his confidence doesn't get rattled like it did in the ASG last year.

btrain929
11-10-2008, 09:41 PM
While he might be available (and I'd definitely like to see him either at 2B or 3B for us depending on the cost) I'm pretty sure FLA's plan is to play Emilio at 2B with Uggla shifting over to 3B. Cantu will go to 1B since Jacobs left. So it's not like this acquisition is pushing Uggla out the door or anything. He's FLA's 3B as of right now.

FedEx227
11-10-2008, 09:50 PM
He'd fit in perfectly with our HR or K lineup.

Yeah, he's solid, but not the right fit for this team. HR/K or error is pretty much his M.O.

FedEx227
11-10-2008, 09:50 PM
Let's hope his confidence doesn't get rattled like it did in the ASG last year.

Sadly that was confidence, watch a game with Uggla at 2B, that's Dan Uggla. He's a stone glove out there.

kittle42
11-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Yeah, he's solid, but not the right fit for this team. HR/K or error is pretty much his M.O.

The only positive is he might lauch 40+ out of the Cell. But in the end, more of the same plodding, mashing crap.

Tragg
11-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Let's use our scarce and too few resources on skills that we need: a leadoff hitter whose got some speed (and Ozzie wants speed and if he doesn't get good speed he might force bad speed).

Uggla's a good hitter.

Domeshot17
11-10-2008, 10:22 PM
I like uggla 10 fold over Cano, but that said, I would rather get Roberts or sign a SS. I guess it isn't making sense to me.

If we have an IF of some of the rumors, or a team lets say

1b PK
2b Uggla
SS TCM
3b Dayen/Fields
RF Dye
LF TCQ
CF Swish (until hes dealt or we deal pk and move him to 1b)
C AJ
DH Thome

Who in the hell leads off? I mean is Kenny just doing this to piss people off because he doesn't like hearing how we need speed and stolen bases and not just power and 'obp'.

At best case, we become the cubs when they had Soriano leading off, except Alexei doesn't have anywhere near the stealing ability Soriano did.

WhiteSoxFan84
11-10-2008, 10:27 PM
I think it'd be easier to add another power hitter to our current lineup rather than trying to completely change the lineup and trying to balance it out. Of course I'd prefer more speed and a more balanced lineup over adding another power hitter that's not fast enough for what we need and a defense liability, but he'd replace Joe C. rather well in the lineup.

oeo
11-10-2008, 10:32 PM
I like uggla 10 fold over Cano, but that said, I would rather get Roberts or sign a SS. I guess it isn't making sense to me.

1b PK
2b Uggla
SS TCM
3b Dayen/Fields
RF Dye
LF TCQ
C AJ
DH Thome

Who in the hell leads off? I mean is Kenny just doing this to piss people off because he doesn't like hearing how we need speed and stolen bases and not just power and 'obp'.

At best case, we become the cubs when they had Soriano leading off, except Alexei doesn't have anywhere near the stealing ability Soriano did.

I'm confused at the point of this post. You used one actual rumor, and are implying that Kenny isn't trying to change the type of lineup that he has? He's already said that he wants more speed/contact guys...

WhiteSoxFan84
11-10-2008, 10:35 PM
But I have to ask...

Trade for Dan Uggla
or
Sign Orlando Hudson?

btrain929
11-10-2008, 10:36 PM
I know Uggla doesn't steal bases, but is he THAT slow on the basepaths? I would imagine him having Quentin-like speed. Not gonna steal 30 bases, but is fast enough to not be considered a base clogger.

But I could be wrong...

FedEx227
11-10-2008, 10:37 PM
I know Uggla doesn't steal bases, but is he THAT slow on the basepaths? I would imagine him having Quentin-like speed. Not gonna steal 30 bases, but is fast enough to not be considered a base clogger.

But I could be wrong...

Nah, maybe 2-3 years ago, he's definitely pretty slow these days.

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2006/05/21/4XcoutT7.jpg

oeo
11-10-2008, 10:39 PM

But I could be wrong...

I don't think the problem is speed, but that we want to get away from that one dimensional offense. I mean, if we can unload a couple of our big boppers, I'd be all for it. Our smallest need is power, though.

FedEx227
11-10-2008, 10:40 PM
That's really the problem too, I'd LOVE to have Uggla. He is one of the best sluggers in the league, but he adds nothing more to this team. He doesn't add anything besides more of the same. I'd have no problem whatsoever with getting Uggla if we already didn't have Dye, Konerko and Thome.

oeo
11-10-2008, 10:41 PM
Nah, maybe 2-3 years ago, he's definitely pretty slow these days.

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2006/05/21/4XcoutT7.jpg

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I must be missing the magic of that photo. You can tell how fast a guy is by a picture?

FedEx227
11-10-2008, 10:44 PM
I'm not saying you're wrong, but I must be missing the magic of that photo. You can tell how fast a guy is by a picture?

Well career stolen bases of 13 + body shape is enough for me. The poster wondered if he just didn't use his speed or something, but I think from that picture you can see hes a bigger guy with a pretty large upper body.

oeo
11-10-2008, 10:46 PM
Well career stolen bases of 13 + body shape is enough for me. The poster wondered if he just didn't use his speed or something, but I think from that picture you can see hes a bigger guy with a pretty large upper body.

So is Quentin...

I don't see how that implies he's slow. Not fast? Yeah. But we're talking Jim Thome slow, Paul Konerko slow, are we not? I'd imagine Uggla can go first to third.

oeo
11-10-2008, 10:51 PM
Well, this is squashed already. Marlins saying Uggla isn't going anywhere this winter. Maybe at the deadline...

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_baseball_marlins/2008/11/olsen-hammer-go.html

btrain929
11-10-2008, 10:51 PM
So is Quentin...

I don't see how that implies he's slow. Not fast? Yeah. But we're talking Jim Thome slow, Paul Konerko slow, are we not? I'd imagine Uggla can go first to third.

That's what I was thinking too....

But I also agree with FedEx that if we do manage to trade PK or Dye, I'd be very open to trading for Uggla since we'd be trading a mid-30's, verrrry slow, slugger that's very expensive for a 29 year old, average-ish speed, slugger that will be plenty cheaper.

FedEx227
11-10-2008, 10:54 PM
Uggla is a smart baserunner more than anything. Bill James had him at +19 in 2007. No clue what his 2008 number is. He doesn't have the same overall speed as Quentin, that can be evidenced by how he plays defense.

Is he a base-clogger ala Thome, Konerko? God no. I guess I forgot that the White Sox slow is different than other teams. We are at another level. He definitely can make great baserunning decisions and it's not all speed. David Ortiz is not fast but is one of the best in the league at going from 1st to 3rd, it's a lot about effort too.

EMachine10
11-10-2008, 11:04 PM
Apparently he's not going anywhere, but I thought I'd chime in anyway. He's a good player, who I'd normally like to have, and I enjoy following his game, but I don't think he's what this team needs. As was stated earlier, he's more of the same in our lineup - good power, but doesn't fill a hole at the top of our order.

russ99
11-11-2008, 11:50 AM

1b PK
2b Uggla
SS TCM
3b Dayen/Fields
RF Dye
LF TCQ
C AJ
DH Thome

No way. I'll take Cano over Uggla any day. Cano, who would be a great #2 hitter for us, has a great approach at the plate and can run circles around Uggla on defense. Uggla is a homers or nothing guy who we have way too much of already.

Swish + a prospect for Cano would be a good move (if we can't deal PK), but we'd still need a leadoff guy.