PDA

View Full Version : Barry Zito?

getonbckthr
11-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Apparently the Giants are desperate to move him and are willing to pick up whatever amount of his salary is needed. Is this something that Kenny should at least entertain and hope and pray that Coop can help him learn how to pitch again?

chisoxmike
11-10-2008, 07:24 PM
No.

btrain929
11-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Apparently the Giants are desperate to move him and are willing to pick up whatever amount of his salary is needed. Is this something that Kenny should at least entertain and hope and pray that Coop can help him learn how to pitch again?

Doubt it. We already have 2 pitchers taking up the roster spot called "soft-tossing lefty" by Buehrle and Richard anyways.

He has 5 yrs at around 19 mil per year left on his contract. I wouldn't even consider him unless they paid about 13-15 mil a year for the rest of his contract. I highly doubt they do that.

Konerko05
11-10-2008, 07:29 PM
Worst idea I've seen on this board in a long time. That's saying something.

hi im skot
11-10-2008, 07:52 PM
Ugh.

cards press box
11-10-2008, 08:06 PM
Last year, Zito's fastball looked pretty shot. Without any kind of fastball, Zito's off-speed pitches were ineffective.

Unless Zito gains some speed, it is hard to imagine him as an effective big league pitcher. Zito is a cautionary tale against the splashy free agent signing where a team wildly overpays -- you know, the kind of signing that the Sun-Times' former resident blogger routinely used to demand. Boy, am I glad that his column (like the proverbial dead parrot from the Monty Python sketch) is no more.

Konerko05
11-10-2008, 08:20 PM
Zito has been steadily declining since 2005. The guy has absolutely nothing left. He had a 1.600 WHIP last season. He only had 18 more strikeouts than walks. There is no question in my mind Richard could have a better season.

....Or there is also the better idea of actually targeting good players. There is no reason why the Chicago White Sox should be acquiring bad players in hopes of our coaching staff miraculously "fixing" them.

nug0hs
11-10-2008, 08:54 PM
hey, just relax everyone...the guy was trying to suggest someone we could pick up, no need to crap on him for it

kittle42
11-10-2008, 09:11 PM
hey, just relax everyone...the guy was trying to suggest someone we could pick up, no need to crap on him for it

You're right. He only does it once every 3 days or so.

Can't wait for:

"Kerry Wood?"

Boondock Saint
11-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Zito has been steadily declining since 2005. The guy has absolutely nothing left. He had a 1.600 WHIP last season. He only had 18 more strikeouts than walks. There is no question in my mind Richard could have a better season.

....Or there is also the better idea of actually targeting good players. There is no reason why the Chicago White Sox should be acquiring bad players in hopes of our coaching staff miraculously "fixing" them.

This is one of the wiser things said so far this offseason, I think. You look for borderline players and projects when you need to turn a team around, not when you're a playofrf team poised to make a push for the World Series.

thomas35forever
11-10-2008, 09:59 PM
No. He was hurting my fantasy team last year. No one picked him up for the rest of the year and I was in a league with 16 teams that had a bunch of players for each roster. If that doesn't tell you how much he sucked this year, nothing will. No to Zito.

chaerulez
11-10-2008, 10:04 PM

There is some misguided belief here that Don Cooper can "fix" everyone. He turned around Matt Thorton's career. He probably had a role in shaping Jenks to the pitcher he is now. And hell, I'll give him credit for the development of Floyd and Danks. However Cooper isn't some genius, he can't get Jose to be consistent or Vazquez to pitch well when it matters. Cooper is a good pitching coach, but he can't just take people with no talent and make them good.

kittle42
11-10-2008, 10:12 PM
There is some misguided belief here that Don Cooper can "fix" everyone. He turned around Matt Thorton's career. He probably had a role in shaping Jenks to the pitcher he is now. And hell, I'll give him credit for the development of Floyd and Danks. However Cooper isn't some genius, he can't get Jose to be consistent or Vazquez to pitch well when it matters. Cooper is a good pitching coach, but he can't just take people with no talent and make them good.

Completely agree.

soxpride724
11-10-2008, 10:16 PM
No way.

turners56
11-10-2008, 10:34 PM

Hell to the no. Coop can't help guys regain velocity. Zito's completely lost everything.

FedEx227
11-10-2008, 10:36 PM
Hell to the no. Coop can't help guys regain velocity. Zito's completely lost everything.

Add in the fact he can't seem to get the angle on his curve right making it straight as an arrow.

BUT COOP CAN FIX EVERYTHING!!1!!!

Except for MacDougal, and Sisco... and Logan... and Wasserman... BUT THORNTON!1!!

doublem23
11-10-2008, 11:36 PM
Add in the fact he can't seem to get the angle on his curve right making it straight as an arrow.

BUT COOP CAN FIX EVERYTHING!!1!!!

Except for MacDougal, and Sisco... and Logan... and Wasserman... BUT THORNTON!1!!

Where was that post in this thread? :scratch: Every post before this one has been a unanimous "no."

Anyways, even if we weren't paying him a dime, he'd be ripping the Sox off.

FedEx227
11-10-2008, 11:58 PM
It is usually inevitable, that's why chae got on it too, well before me.

Still it's worthless to talk because Zito is done until he actually learns how he use to throw his curveball.

Coming into the Giants he changed his delivery to try and get more velocity and promptly lost most of his velocity and forgot how to throw his curveball. Yay.

pythons007
11-11-2008, 11:57 AM
I would rather transform a minor league outfielder into a SP than take Barry Zito on this team. Even if the Giants were picking up all of his contract and they were asking for a 2nd base and a fongo bat, I wouldn't do it.

russ99
11-11-2008, 12:39 PM
If there ever was a case for non-guaranteed contracts in baseball, Barry Zito is it. I bet the Giants wish they could walk away.

I'd pass even if they took all of Thome and Konerko's contracts and gave us Rowand.

But I'm sure some dumb GM will end up biting. Kenny's too smart for that.

LoveYourSuit
11-11-2008, 01:16 PM

Agree.

Come and talk to me when the Dr Coop maintains a bullpen which doesn't imploded on us by July.

AZChiSoxFan
11-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Worst idea I've seen on this board in a long time. That's saying something.

Classic post. Don't you just love the offseason around here?

How about we offer MacDougal to the Giants for Lincecum?

Nellie_Fox
11-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Classic post. Don't you just love the offseason around here?

How about we offer MacDougal to the Giants for Lincecum? No, no. The classic trade speculation revolves around offering a whole bunch of players who suck for one star. That way it evens out! "Come on, you're getting five guys for one!"