PDA

View Full Version : Latest Off-Season Report

Lip Man 1
11-10-2008, 12:18 PM
I didn't realize Williams last week said that Swisher would no longer be playing center field in 2009. (Not that I'm complaining...)

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081107&content_id=3669931&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Lip

beasly213
11-10-2008, 01:42 PM
:bandance::bandance::bandance:

Hopefully this means he's going to go out and get a true CF who can also hit a little bit more than .230.

Foulke You
11-10-2008, 04:03 PM
:bandance::bandance::bandance:

Hopefully this means he's going to go out and get a true CF who can also hit a little bit more than .230.
I agree. I'm hoping that we don't ged rid of a .230 hitting power CF with average defense (Nick Swisher) to make room for another CF who hits .230 with ZERO power and has average defense (Jerry Owens). If we are filling CF from within, let BA get the starts because his offensive upside is better than Owens and his defense is light years better.

CashMan
11-10-2008, 04:06 PM
So, it took them what, a year to figure out Mack wasnt a CFer, and 1yr to figure out the same about Swisher?

PKalltheway
11-10-2008, 04:53 PM
I didn't realize Williams last week said that Swisher would no longer be playing center field in 2009. (Not that I'm complaining...)

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081107&content_id=3669931&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Lip
Well, that does it then. I know I'm probably stating the obvious, but somebody big is going to be traded away from the Sox this winter. Since KW said Swisher won't be playing CF in 2009, that has to mean either Swisher, Konerko, or Dye is going to get traded.

Taliesinrk
11-10-2008, 04:56 PM
I agree. I'm hoping that we don't ged rid of a .230 hitting power CF with average defense (Nick Swisher) to make room for another CF who hits .230 with ZERO power and has average defense (Jerry Owens). If we are filling CF from within, let BA get the starts because his offensive upside is better than Owens and his defense is light years better.

Couldn't be further from the truth...

oeo
11-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Couldn't be further from the truth...

No, actually he's right on. Swisher was not a bad centerfielder. He wasn't great, but he was decent.

cheezheadsoxfan
11-10-2008, 05:13 PM

I'm with you. I'd rather use resources on a 3rd baseman who isn't afraid of the ball. Maybe try Fields at DH (depending on who's leaving).

Taliesinrk
11-10-2008, 05:29 PM
No, actually he's right on. Swisher was not a bad centerfielder. He wasn't great, but he was decent.

I strongly disagree. I'd take Rowand over Swisher 9 out of 10 times. Again, as everyone begins to bitch because I brough Rowand into the thread, I'm a FOBA... just saying that he's better (at least defensively) than Swisher.

btrain929
11-10-2008, 05:48 PM
I strongly disagree. I'd take Rowand over Swisher 9 out of 10 times. Again, as everyone begins to bitch because I brough Rowand into the thread, I'm a FOBA... just saying that he's better (at least defensively) than Swisher.

The fact that you would take Rowand over Swisher 9 times out of 10 in CF still doesn't mean Swisher was bad in CF in 2008.

Taliesinrk
11-10-2008, 08:56 PM
The fact that you would take Rowand over Swisher 9 times out of 10 in CF still doesn't mean Swisher was bad in CF in 2008.

This is correct. However, due to the large amount of responses contending that Rowand is NOT a good CFer, I thought it was a good comparison to explain my thoughts of the performance of Nick Swisher. So while you are correct that my comparison doesn't mean that Swisher was bad in CF in '08: he was.

oeo
11-10-2008, 09:11 PM

Rowand was always an above average centerfielder here. No one said that Swisher was that; just average. He can handle it, but he's not really a guy you want to depend on.

Your 'couldn't be further from the truth' statement implies that Swisher was atrocious, which is really what couldn't be farther from the truth.

Daver
11-10-2008, 09:16 PM
This is correct. However, due to the large amount of responses contending that Rowand is NOT a good CFer,

Maybe there is so many because they are right?

I know, it seems like a strange concept to judge a player by his actual baseball skills.

Taliesinrk
11-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Maybe there is so many because they are right?

I know, it seems like a strange concept to judge a player by his actual baseball skills.

I hope this post wasn't directed at me. In this thread, I never back Rowand's abilities (in fact, I only do those of BA).

While I believe Rowand takes bad routes to balls, he made up for it enough while in Chicago. I'd say defensively (with a decent arm), he was average. However, I have not mentioned what I thought about Rowand's ability... merely drawing a comparison most are familiar with.

Swisher is not a CF (at least a good/average one), and does not belong there.

Daver
11-10-2008, 11:04 PM
I hope this post wasn't directed at me. In this thread, I never back Rowand's abilities (in fact, I only do those of BA).

While I believe Rowand takes bad routes to balls, he made up for it enough while in Chicago. I'd say defensively (with a decent arm), he was average. However, I have not mentioned what I thought about Rowand's ability... merely drawing a comparison most are familiar with.

Swisher is not a CF (at least a good/average one), and does not belong there.

This is the White Sox we are talking about, they haven't had a decent center fielder for almost two decades, the team considers it an offensive position.

oeo
11-11-2008, 12:01 AM
This is the White Sox we are talking about, they haven't had a decent center fielder for almost two decades, the team considers it an offensive position.

Rowand had an excellent defensive season for us 3 years ago. Say what you want, but he was pretty damn good for us and should have won a Gold Glove.

Daver
11-11-2008, 12:03 AM
Rowand had an excellent defensive season for us 3 years ago. Say what you want, but he was pretty damn good for us and should have won a Gold Glove.

Running into walls does not make you good. It mereley points out your shortcomings.