PDA

View Full Version : Rookie of the Year awards

RockyMtnSoxFan
11-10-2008, 11:06 AM
In advance of the announcement of the Rookies of the Year, who does everyone think will win the awards, and who should win? It sounds like Longoria and Soto will win. I think Longoria is probably deserving. When you look at their statistics, he is better than Alexei. He has more power and patience, though not by the huge margins that the sportswriters would have you believe. I think it is impressive that Alexei was making his debut in American (and professional?) baseball. In the field, it is probably hard to say that one is clearly better than the other. I think this will be more of a landslide than it should be.

In the NL, I haven't even heard any names mentioned other than Soto. But Joey Votto has nearly identical stats, except for a higher AVG and fewer Ks. I think there are three reasons why all the writers are obsessed with Soto: he plays for the Flubs, he's a catcher, and he's a Flubbie. Otherwise, this would be a very close race.

Thoughts?

Sockinchisox
11-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Longoria and Soto are going to win.

veeter
11-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Alexei will (better) be a very close second.

sox1970
11-10-2008, 11:25 AM
Alexei will (better) be a very close second.

It'll be very close to 28 first place votes for Longoria, and 28 second place votes for Alexei.

PKalltheway
11-10-2008, 01:09 PM
It's over. Longoria and Soto win it.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081110&content_id=3672838&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

StepsInSC
11-10-2008, 01:28 PM
Um Volquez wasn't even a rookie this year. *** BBWAA?

JermaineDye05
11-10-2008, 01:30 PM
I was surprised that Longoria won it unanimously, I thought for sure Alexei would have gotten a few votes.

PatK
11-10-2008, 01:32 PM
Votto was severely overlooked.

Nearly identical numbers, and playing with worse players surrounding him.

eaganmafia
11-10-2008, 01:34 PM

Except one playes the most demanding defensive position while other playes the least important defensive position.

The right guys won...

StepsInSC
11-10-2008, 01:37 PM

Soto: .285 .364 .504
Votto: 297 .368 .506

Almost identical indeed, but putting them up at C is much more valuable than at 1B.

doublem23
11-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Jacoby Ellsbury finished 3rd in the American League? What horse****.

munchman33
11-10-2008, 01:57 PM
I can almost understand the five third place votes...but five voters left him off the ballot. That's either complete bias or not knowing baseball. Those voters should lose their vote.

KenBerryGrab
11-10-2008, 02:04 PM
I can almost understand the five third place votes...but five voters left him off the ballot. That's either complete bias or not knowing baseball. Those voters should lose their vote.

I would bet at least one of those writers is from Minnesota. Their spite knows no bounds.

eaganmafia
11-10-2008, 02:09 PM
I would bet at least one of those writers is from Minnesota. Their spite knows no bounds.

Remember Crowly voted AJ highier on his MVP ballot then Jeter in 2006. Morons are everywhere...

ChiSoxFan81
11-10-2008, 02:11 PM
The right guys won.

That being said, who the hell is voting for Volquez?? 3 2nd place votes, and he's not even elgible!!!

And Fukudome gets 2nd and 3rd place votes? I wonder where those came from.

RockyMtnSoxFan
11-10-2008, 02:26 PM
The ESPN article says that Soto was the first NL catcher to start the All-Star game.

:?:

Who was behind the plate for all the other All-Star games? The manager?

I realize that Soto plays the more important position defensively, but that's not enough to make it near unanimous. But then, nobody hear is surprised to hear that a scrub player gets preferential treatment from the press.

ChiSoxFan81
11-10-2008, 02:31 PM
The ESPN article says that Soto was the first NL catcher to start the All-Star game.

:?:

Who was behind the plate for all the other All-Star games? The manager?

I realize that Soto plays the more important position defensively, but that's not enough to make it near unanimous. But then, nobody hear is surprised to hear that a scrub player gets preferential treatment from the press.

What's that sonny? Speak up! :geezer:

#1swisher
11-10-2008, 04:34 PM
What's that sonny? Speak up! :geezer:
LOL, thanks for making me laugh! The ROY awards certainly didn't.

turners56
11-10-2008, 04:36 PM
Did some of you really think that Alexei was going to win?

It would of been nice, but looking at it objectively, Longoria's the easy choice.

Billy Ashley
11-10-2008, 06:25 PM
Did some of you really think that Alexei was going to win?

It would of been nice, but looking at it objectively, Longoria's the easy choice.

I've gotten killed on this board for saying the very same thing.

Ramirez was a good offensive second basemen this year. His defense is terribly overrated by those on this board and his lack of walks really does drag on his value. He's still a good player and had a very good 2008 but Longoria was a freaking beast at both the plate and in the field.

Furthermore, I'd like to know why some posters here think Ramirez is going to have a better career than Longoria. I've seen it repeated a ton on this board with little evidence to back it up. Longoria was seen as the second best position prospect in all of baseball this season (behind Jay Bruce) and he's done nothing but played great since coming up.

Again, I'm not dumping on Ramirez. He's a very solid player, but I'd have ranked him third or fourth in the AL ROY ballot myself (Behind a certain criminally underrated shortstop this season).

JermaineDye05
11-10-2008, 06:35 PM
I've gotten killed on this board for saying the very same thing.

Ramirez was a good offensive second basemen this year. His defense is terribly overrated by those on this board and his lack of walks really does drag on his value. He's still a good player and had a very good 2008 but Longoria was a freaking beast at both the plate and in the field.

Furthermore, I'd like to know why some posters here think Ramirez is going to have a better career than Longoria. I've seen it repeated a ton on this board with little evidence to back it up. Longoria was seen as the second best position prospect in all of baseball this season (behind Jay Bruce) and he's done nothing but played great since coming up.

Again, I'm not dumping on Ramirez. He's a very solid player, but I'd have ranked him third or fourth in the AL ROY ballot myself (Behind a certain criminally underrated shortstop this season).

Did you see him in the post season?

I agree he should have won it no matter what. You may want to rethink your statement there though.

Billy Ashley
11-10-2008, 06:43 PM
Did you see him in the post season?

I agree he should have won it no matter what. You may want to rethink your statement there though.

One bad week is enough to throw out his defense during the season? I don't think so. Longoria was the second or third best defensive 3b in the American League this year behind Beltre (Who was a god) and Crede (who was surprisingly still excellent despite his injuries but limited in time).

JermaineDye05
11-10-2008, 06:46 PM
One bad week is enough to throw out his defense during the season? I don't think so. Longoria was the second or third best defensive 3b in the American League this year behind Beltre (Who was a god) and Crede (who was surprisingly still excellent despite his injuries but limited in time).

In his 122 games played, he had a .963 FP with 12 errors. That's not too good. That's excluding the post season.

Billy Ashley
11-10-2008, 06:51 PM
In his 122 games played, he had a .963 FP with 12 errors. That's not too good. That's excluding the post season.

He was awesome. He had a +/- of +11 (good for third in the league) he was also 21 runs better than average (or 2 wins better) according to FAA2 (Though I don't like that stat nearly as much as =/-)

He's a very good fielder.

cws05champ
11-10-2008, 07:07 PM
Playing on that god awful fast shag carpet at the Trop...that's not bad. I'm not a big stat guy but Longoria was the clear choice. Ramirez was clear choice for 2nd place IMO also.

nasox
11-10-2008, 10:22 PM

You just lost all credibility by saying Crede was in the top three defensive third basemen in the AL. He sucked this year. He booted balls, had limited range, and played a terrible 3b this year.

Domeshot17
11-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Longoria's glove will be better than Crede's soon. Hes an amazing defensive 3b. He got hit with some errors trying to do too much.

Alexei was great, and he might have won it over Soto in the NL, but in the AL, there is no doubt its Evan Longoria. Won't be the last piece of hardware this kid wins in his career.

eaganmafia
11-11-2008, 07:32 AM
Alexei was great, and he might have won it over Soto in the NL

No he wouldn't have...Sota was clearly the best rookie in baseball this season.

Billy Ashley
11-11-2008, 09:20 AM
You just lost all credibility by saying Crede was in the top three defensive third basemen in the AL. He sucked this year. He booted balls, had limited range, and played a terrible 3b this year.

Anyone who has followed what I've posted would agree that I'm not a Crede fan. He was a very solid 3b in the American league this season He was the second best 3b in terms of +/- this season of the American League. He was also 6 runs better than the average 3b in the league according to RAA2. He was a good fielder this season. I wouldn't bet on his being in the future given his back, but this season- he was very solid.

Lundind1
11-11-2008, 10:16 AM
Give some credit to Longoria, he had on heck of a year despite getting hurt like he did. That was the thing that brought him on a even plain with Alexei in terms of games appeared in. I think it were the offense that brought Longoria along. He was just a bit better, I know Alexie's hits meant more to the Sox but don't forget that Evan won a few games for the Rays this year too. I'm just PO'ed that the voting wasn't closer for Alexei.

Just hope that the Cubs don't put too much pressure on Soto.

MHOUSE
11-11-2008, 11:21 PM
Longoria and Soto were clearly the best choices, period. Soto was a beast all year at the plater, behind the plate, calling games, coming up in clutch spots, etc, etc. He was the best rookie in baseball bar-none. Alexei was awesome and I would give him more of a Rookie MVP award as he carried us down the stretch and we wouldn't have made the playoffs without him. Longoria was hurt for a while and the Rays were fine. That's the only place I would rate Alexei higher. I also feel Longoria's defense is overrated after he was so awful in the playoffs, but maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

Lukin13
11-12-2008, 12:04 AM
Longoria's Defense > Alexei's Defense