PDA

View Full Version : Post your trades/ free agent signings

tm1119
11-10-2008, 09:48 AM
so we're in kind of a boring time as far as baseball goes so lets have some fun and speculate some trades/signings you think the white sox should make. include both sides of the trade and provide a reason for it, and please try to keep them realistic. this will also keep them all in 1 spot instead of everybody posting their thoughts in almost every offseason thread.

Mine-
Broadway+ PTBNL(random low minor leaguer) for Tavarez.
This gives us great speed and D in CF without breaking the bank. May not be a great hitter but his D and base stealing ability will make up for that.

Nick Swisher for Ian Kennedy- If Yankees miss out on Tex then they have a hole to fill at 1B with Giambi gone. And its pretty obvious that they have more or less given up on Kennedy in NY. I would like to take a chance on Kennedy getting him out of a pressure situtation in NY and given Coop's track record with pitchers. Yankees also take Swishers contract saving us a lot of money.

Javy for Castillo, Heilman, Niese + Cash
The Mets really need piching and they REALLY want to get rid of Castillo. I dont like Castillo but he could be an emergency option at 2B if the kids dont work out/pinch hitter, but only if the Mets pick up 1/2 of his contract til the end of it. We would then get a solid bullpen arm that we can always use and another good young pitcher to throw in the mix.

Overall we give up Swish, Javy, and Broadway and get 2 good young pitching prospects, a fast CF, a solid bullpen arm and a safety option at 2B/reserve.

Im sure these trades wont actually happen but its fun to specualte so lets hear your feedback and then post your own.

I want Mags back
11-10-2008, 10:42 AM
this is why we have What's the Score :rolleyes:

Nellie_Fox
11-10-2008, 11:46 AM
this is why we have What's the Score :rolleyes:And why it got moved there.

russ99
11-10-2008, 12:13 PM
OK, here goes:

Vazquez, Jenks, Egbert, Getz and Shelby to NYM for Jose Reyes
Konerko, MacDougal and Anderson to AZ for Mark Reynolds, Chad Tracy and Tony Pena
Fields, Wassermann and Broadway to WSH for Lastings Milledge and John Lannan
Carl Pavano signed as a FA.
Brendan Donnelly signed as a FA.
Henry Blanco signed as a FA. (Overpayed, yes, but Ozzie loves the guy)

Lineup:

1. Reyes - 2B
2. Milledge - CF
3. Quentin - LF
4. Dye - RF
5. Thome - DH
6. Ramirez - SS
7. Pierzynski - C
8. Swisher/Tracy platoon - 1B
9. Reynolds - 3B

Rotation:
1. Buehrle
2. Danks
3. Floyd
4. Pavano
5. Lannan

Bullpen:
CL. Thornton/Linebrink
SU. Linebrink/Thornton
SU. Dotel
MR. Donnelley
MR. Pena
MR. Carrasco
LR. Russell
LR. Richard

whitesox901
11-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Trade Richard, Broadway and Wasserman to either San Diego for Jody Gerut or Pittsburgh for Nate McLouth

Sign a Starter i.e (in no order) Maddux, Byrd, P. Martinez, ect

Sign a reliever i.e (in no order) Doug Brocail, Darren Oliver, ect

BadBobbyJenks
11-10-2008, 01:52 PM
this is why we have What's the Score :rolleyes:

Watch out for this guy.:club:

eaganmafia
11-10-2008, 01:57 PM
OK, here goes:

Vazquez, Jenks, Egbert, Getz and Shelby to NYM for Jose Reyes
Konerko, MacDougal and Anderson to AZ for Mark Reynolds, Chad Tracy and Tony Pena
Fields, Wassermann and Broadway to WSH for Lastings Milledge and John Lannan

So I'm assuming Omar, Jim Bowden and Josh Byrnes have all lost their mind?

russ99
11-10-2008, 02:48 PM
So I'm assuming Omar, Jim Bowden and Josh Byrnes have all lost their mind?

OK, maybe Josh Byrnes would need to lose his mind, but I was looking for a decent return and yet not impossible way to deal Konerko to the D-Backs, and I think Reynolds is a pretty fair exchange, and would solve 3B until Beckham is ready. Maybe adding Tracy to the mix was a bit too greedy. Then again some here think we can get Figgins for Konerko straight up, and Arizona needs a cleanup guy so maybe it's not that far off.

Omar - we've already decided Jenks and 1 MLB player + prospects may bring us Beltran, so why not think big and get Reyes?? See the Beltran thread as to why I think he might be avaliable for the right price.

Bowden - depending on the level of rebuilding DC is doing and if we can throw in a good prospect or a reliever, this is certainly possible, but I have no clue if Milledge is available, and I still think Fields has high trade value, especially to a power hungry young team like DC. Lannan had a mediocre season last year so DC may deal him for someone younger and with more upside, maybe Harrell instead of Broadway? We need one starter for sure if Vazquez is dealt and I'm picking Lannon to be a Cooper fix-em-up special.

Maybe Vazquez would be part of the DC deal and Swisher part of the NYM deal to make it work better...

Obviously this is all speculation. Got any better ideas, especially involving Konerko in a deal he'd waive his no-trade for?

cbrownson13
11-10-2008, 03:12 PM
I thought the thread starter asked to keep things realistic??

The Mets are trading Jose Reyes? God no.

Arizona trading a budding 3B, a valuable veteran, AND a young arm for Konerko and garbage? No.

Lannan and Milledge are both very young and have lots of potential. Fields potential is now questionable. Wassermann and Broadway have proven nothing.

CashMan
11-10-2008, 03:17 PM
I thought the thread starter asked to keep things realistic??

The Mets are trading Jose Reyes? God no.

Arizona trading a budding 3B, a valuable veteran, AND a young arm for Konerko and garbage? No.

Lannan and Milledge are both very young and have lots of potential. Fields potential is now questionable. Wassermann and Broadway have proven nothing.

But....It makes sense on X-Box!

Rockabilly
11-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Konerko to AZ for Conor Jackson

Madscout
11-10-2008, 03:33 PM
But....It makes sense on X-Box!

Hey, What's the ****in Score...

eaganmafia
11-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Then again some here think we can get Figgins for Konerko straight up, and Arizona needs a cleanup guy so maybe it's not that far off.

I don't where the Figgens/Konerko start talked, but I prey to everything holy it will soon end.

Omar - we've already decided Jenks and 1 MLB player + prospects may bring us Beltran, so why not think big and get Reyes?? See the Beltran thread as to why I think he might be avaliable for the right price.

The Mets wouldn't move Reyes for Santana, why would the trade him for Jenks, Vasquez and bit pieces. Reyes is a beast SS who's signed to a steal of a contract for the next couple season. I don't agree with the term "untouchable" but Reyes is as close to that as I can think of unless some team loses there mind and throws the farm at Omar.

Bowden - depending on the level of rebuilding DC is doing and if we can throw in a good prospect or a reliever, this is certainly possible, but I have no clue if Milledge is available, and I still think Fields has high trade value, especially to a power hungry young team like DC. Lannan had a mediocre season last year so DC may deal him for someone younger and with more upside, maybe Harrell instead of Broadway? We need one starter for sure if Vazquez is dealt and I'm picking Lannon to be a Cooper fix-em-up special.

Remember that the Nats have Zimmerman at 3rd so that means Fields has to play at 1b where he won't hit enough for the position and play ratty-ass defense. The 20 some homers in 2007 is nice, but at the same time he strikes out a ton, doesn't walk and plays ****ty defense...I don't see this high trade value that you do.

russ99
11-10-2008, 03:55 PM
I don't where the Figgens/Konerko start talked, but I prey to everything holy it will soon end

The Mets wouldn't move Reyes for Santana, why would the trade him for Jenks, Vasquez and bit pieces. Reyes is a beast SS who's signed to a steal of a contract for the next couple season. I don't agree with the term "untouchable" but Reyes is as close to that as I can think of unless some team loses there mind and throws the farm at Omar.

Reyes' contract goes up $1.5M this year, but almost doubles next offseason. My reasoning that he may be available was due to his bad first half and his poor attitude being a primary reason why Randolph got fired, meaning things change from one season to the next. I remember when Pods was untouchable...

I can see the Mets getting tired of his act and exponentially increasing salary at some point, more likely next offseason, but a top-end package may get it done this year. It remains to be seen if the Sox have that kind of package, but Omar supposedly likes Vazquez, Jenks is still signed cheap for 2 more years, and we could throw in maybe Swish and a few of our top prospects. If Kenny could fix out leadoff spot with one of the best base-stealers in the game, I'd almost see him throwing in Poreda too...

Remember that the Nats have Zimmerman at 3rd so that means Fields has to play at 1b where he won't hit enough for the position and play ratty-ass defense. The 20 some homers in 2007 is nice, but at the same time he strikes out a ton, doesn't walk and plays ****ty defense...I don't see this high trade value that you do.

I was thinking Zimmerman would play in the outfield with Fields at 3B.

Actually, I partially wanted to come up with some names not mentioned before, so that's why I went after Milledge. He has a high ceiling, is getting paid decently and has pretty good numbers for a CF. But as I said, who's to say DC would move him. But the Nats added all those players and are still a 100+ loss team, so they might go younger.

And I'm a PS3 guy, so it would work good on The Show. :D:

eaganmafia
11-10-2008, 04:02 PM
Reyes' contract goes up $1.5M this year, but almost doubles next offseason. My reasoning that he may be available was due to his bad first half and his poor attitude being a primary reason why Randolph got fired. I can see the Mets getting tired of his act and exponentially increasing salary at some point, more likely next offseason, but a top-end package may get it done this year. It remains to be seen if the Sox have that kind of package, but Omar supposedly likes Vazquez, Jenks is still signed cheap for 2 more years, and we could throw in a few of our top prospects. if Kenny could fix out leadoff spot with one of the best base-stealers in the game, I'd see him throwing in Poreda too...

Reyes had a .854 OPS in the first half of the 2008 season, guy has fantastic the entire 2008. As for his contract 5.7 in 09, 9 million in 10 and 11 million option in 2011. That's a steal of a contract for Reyes, the Mets would be fools to even consider moving that.

Think about it from this point, it's easier to find a closer (Jenks)and middle or the rotation starter (Vazquez) then it is to fine a SS who's as good as Reyes.

I was thinking Zimmerman would play in the outfield with Fields at 3B.

Actually, I partially wanted to come up with some names not mentioned before, so that's why I went after Milledge. He has a high ceiling, is getting paid decently and has pretty good numbers for a CF. But as I said, who's to say DC would move him.

So you wanna move Zimmerman who's one of the best defensive 3b in baseball to make room for Fields to boot balls all over the infield?

russ99
11-10-2008, 04:13 PM
Reyes had a .854 OPS in the first half of the 2008 season, guy has fantastic the entire 2008. As for his contract 5.7 in 09, 9 million in 10 and 11 million option in 2011. That's a steal of a contract for Reyes, the Mets would be fools to even consider moving that.

Think about it from this point, it's easier to find a closer (Jenks)and middle or the rotation starter (Vazquez) then it is to fine a SS who's as good as Reyes.

Well, Jenks would be the centerpiece, and while you can get a closer other ways he'd be optimal over vastly overpaying for one of the FA's. And Vazquez may be a middle of the order guy, he's much better than some of the Mets' other options. Still, we'd need to send them the farm for the Mets to consider it...

So you wanna move Zimmerman who's one of the best defensive 3b in baseball to make room for Fields to boot balls all over the infield?

No comment... :wink:

btrain929
11-10-2008, 04:18 PM
Trade Richard, Broadway and Wasserman to either San Diego for Jody Gerut or Pittsburgh for Nate McLouth

Sign a Starter i.e (in no order) Maddux, Byrd, P. Martinez, ect

Sign a reliever i.e (in no order) Doug Brocail, Darren Oliver, ect

:o:

Many teams with way better farm systems than ours have inquired about McLouth, and he's not available. We probably have some players they'd be interested in, but it wouldn't include Broadway or Wassermann.

gr8mexico
11-10-2008, 04:47 PM
1.Team A (SOX) get Coco Crisp, Team B ( Rangers ) Gets Jermaine Dye (SOX) & Prospect (REDSOX),Team C (REDSOX) gets Jarrod Saltalamacchia
2.Clayton Richards , Lance Broadway , Brandon Allen for Garrett Atkins
3. Javier Vazquez to the Braves for Yunel Escobar
4. The Sox sign Juan Cruz RP, A.J Burnett SP, Freddy Garcia SP
Willie Bloomquist UT( Plays all the positions)

1. Coco Crisp CF
2. Yunel Escobar SS
3. Carlos Quentin LF
4. Jim Thome DH
5. Paul Konerko 1B
6. Alexei Ramirez 2B
7. Garrett Atkins 3B
8. A.J Catcher
9. Nick Swisher 1B
Bench - Willie Bloomquist, Brian Anderson , Jerry Owens , Toby Hall

1. Mark Buehrle SP
2. A.J Burnett SP
3. John Danks SP
4. Gavin Floyd SP
5. Freddy Garcia SP

RP Juan Cruz
RP Aaron Poreda
RP D.J Carrasco
RP Octavio Dotel
RP Matt Thornton
SU Scott Linebrink
CL Bobby Jenks

russ99
11-10-2008, 04:52 PM
1.Team A (SOX) get Coco Crisp, Team B ( Rangers ) Gets Jermaine Dye (SOX) & Prospect (REDSOX),Team C (REDSOX) gets Jarrod Saltalamacchia

1. Coco Crisp CF
2. Yunel Escobar SS
3. Carlos Quentin LF
4. Jim Thome DH
5. Paul Konerko 1B
6. Alexei Ramirez 2B
7. Garrett Atkins 3B
8. A.J Catcher
9. Nick Swisher 1B

1. Mark Buehrle SP
2. A.J Burnett SP
3. John Danks SP
4. Gavin Floyd SP
5. Freddy Garcia SP

RP Juan Cruz
RP Aaron Poreda
RP D.J Carrasco
RP Octavio Dotel
RP Matt Thornton
SU Scott Linebrink
CL Bobby Jenks

I'd need to see more in return for Dye than Crisp. At the deadline 2 years ago the Sox (not carmines) supposedly shot down a Dye for Crisp and Delcarmen, and both are a year and a half older. I'd really prefer Konerko be the one of the big 3 that was traded.

But I love the idea of Yuniel. Man, that would be one heck of a DP combo...

WhiteSox5187
11-10-2008, 04:56 PM
My plan is really rather simple: clone Aaron Rowand and let him play all nine positions.

gr8mexico
11-10-2008, 04:57 PM
I'd need to see more in return for Dye than Crisp. At the deadline 2 years ago the Sox (not carmines) supposedly shot down a Dye for Crisp and Delcarmen, and both are a year and a half older. I'd really prefer Konerko be the one of the big 3 that was traded.

But I love the idea of Yuniel. Man, that would be one heck of a DP combo...
Because of Konerko's no trade clause its going to be a lot harder to trade him. Also Jermaine Dye is also 2 years older so I would be happy to get Coco Crisp. The money saved goes to pay A.J Burnett

cbrownson13
11-10-2008, 05:30 PM

1. Coco Crisp CF
2. Yunel Escobar SS
3. Carlos Quentin LF
4. Jim Thome DH
5. Paul Konerko 1B
6. Alexei Ramirez 2B
7. Garrett Atkins 3B
8. A.J Catcher
9. Nick Swisher 1B

1. Mark Buehrle SP
2. A.J Burnett SP
3. John Danks SP
4. Gavin Floyd SP
5. Freddy Garcia SP

RP Juan Cruz
RP Aaron Poreda
RP D.J Carrasco
RP Octavio Dotel
RP Matt Thornton
SU Scott Linebrink
CL Bobby Jenks

If the Sox are trading Jermaine Dye, the better get a HELL of a lot more than Coco Crisp. What's the thought process here?

Atkins, I'll take. Although there seems to be a lot of people questioning his ability away from Coors as well as his defensive ability.

It's gonna take a lot more than Vazquez to get Escobar. He's been rumored as the main piece in a potential Peavy deal. There's no way we're getting him for Javy.

SoxFan88
11-10-2008, 06:00 PM
I doubt Konerko and Thome can be moved so.......

Trades:
1) Vazquez to Atlanta for CF Josh Anderson (I've been laughed at about this before but I'm sticking with it) and prospects.
2) Trade Dye, Swish, Richard, and prospects from Atlanta deal to San Fran for Cain.

Free Agents:
1) Use money saved from Dye and Vazquez on RF Abreu.
2) Toby Hall only if cheap.

1) J. Anderson/ BA CF
2) TCM SS
3) Abreu RF
4) TCQ LF
5) Thome DH
6) Viciedo/Fields 3B
7) AJ C
8) Konerko 1B
9) Getz 2B

Bench: Anderson CF, Hall C, Nix Utl, and Owens OF

1) Buehrle
2) Cain
3) Danks
4) Floyd
5) Broadway (let him start off the season as the #5 and see how he does)

CP Jenks
RP Dotel
RP Linebrink
RP Thornton
RP Poreda
RP MacDougal
RP Logan

Craig Grebeck
11-10-2008, 06:35 PM
I doubt Konerko and Thome can be moved so.......

Trades:
1) Vazquez to Atlanta for CF Josh Anderson (I've been laughed at about this before but I'm sticking with it) and prospects.
2) Trade Dye, Swish, Richard, and prospects from Atlanta deal to San Fran for Cain.

Free Agents:
1) Use money saved from Dye and Vazquez on RF Abreu.
2) Toby Hall only if cheap.

1) J. Anderson/ BA CF
2) TCM SS
3) Abreu RF
4) TCQ LF
5) Thome DH
6) Viciedo/Fields 3B
7) AJ C
8) Konerko 1B
9) Getz 2B

Bench: Anderson CF, Hall C, Nix Utl, and Owens OF

1) Buehrle
2) Cain
3) Danks
4) Floyd
5) Broadway (let him start off the season as the #5 and see how he does)

CP Jenks
RP Dotel
RP Linebrink
RP Thornton
RP Poreda
RP MacDougal
RP Logan
With good reason. You want to trade Vazquez for a terrible baseball player, and open up a spot so Lance Broadway can slide in? We could probably get Anderson for Broadway. **** for ****.

Konerko05
11-10-2008, 06:47 PM

1. Coco Crisp CF
2. Yunel Escobar SS
3. Carlos Quentin LF
4. Jim Thome DH
5. Paul Konerko 1B
6. Alexei Ramirez 2B
7. Garrett Atkins 3B
8. A.J Catcher
9. Nick Swisher 1B

1. Mark Buehrle SP
2. A.J Burnett SP
3. John Danks SP
4. Gavin Floyd SP
5. Freddy Garcia SP

RP Juan Cruz
RP Aaron Poreda
RP D.J Carrasco
RP Octavio Dotel
RP Matt Thornton
SU Scott Linebrink
CL Bobby Jenks

Jermaine Dye for Coco Crisp? That is just making the team worse. You are really hell-bent on trading for Crisp. He isn't that good of a baseball player. I also don't see him as a legitimate lead-off hitter.

I'd rather have an outfield of Quentin-Anderson-Dye than Quentin-Crisp-Swisher.

SoxFan88
11-10-2008, 06:57 PM
With good reason. You want to trade Vazquez for a terrible baseball player, and open up a spot so Lance Broadway can slide in? We could probably get Anderson for Broadway. **** for ****.

I've given up arguing with you about J. Anderson. All I know is that Abreu and Cain would both be upgrades... and I think J. Anderson would be too over BA and Swish. As for Broadway... I understand he may soon be officially labeled a bust but at least give him a solid string of starts. My idea doesn't make the trades that many are hoping for but I still think it is realistic and would upgrade the team.

btrain929
11-10-2008, 06:59 PM
I've given up arguing with you about J. Anderson. All I know is that Abreu and Cain would both be upgrades... and I think J. Anderson would be too over BA and Swish. As for Broadway... I understand he may soon be officially labeled a bust but at least give him a solid string of starts. My idea doesn't make the trades that many are hoping for but I still think it is realistic and would upgrade the team.

Yes, Cain would be an upgrade, but there's no shot in hell we land him. There's probably no chance the Giants trade him, period.

SoxFan88
11-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Yes, Cain would be an upgrade, but there's no shot in hell we land him. There's probably no chance the Giants trade him, period.

If not Cain then what pitcher can be had for a package of Dye, Swish, Richard, and Brave prospects.

cbrownson13
11-10-2008, 07:06 PM
Jermaine Dye for Coco Crisp? That is just making the team worse. You are really hell-bent on trading for Crisp. He isn't that good of a baseball player. I also don't see him as a legitimate lead-off hitter.

As you should. Crisp is not a leadoff hitter. He's serviceable lower in the order because he can play decent defense and has good speed, but just doesn't have the average or on base percentage to be a leadoff hitter.

Brian26
11-10-2008, 07:20 PM
My only prediction of the off-season, not Sox-related- but I have a feeling Hendry will work out a trade with the Tigers that brings Mags Ordonez back to Chicago.

gr8mexico
11-10-2008, 08:45 PM

The only reason I'm keep going with Coco Crisp is because there is no way we could get someone better to leadoff and as of right we have no way to be the leadoff hitter.

Sargeant79
11-10-2008, 09:05 PM
I'm not particularly opposed to the idea of Coco Crisp, but I think he would be an especially low return for Dye. I'm no major league GM, but I'd like to think we could do better than that.

NLaloosh
11-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Here goes:

1. Sign the Cuban 3B.However, do not expect him in the majors this season.

2. Sign Ben Sheets - 3 yrs. / $ 39 mil.

3. Trade Vazquez,Logan,Fields,Broadway and Getz to Baltimore for Roberts and Mora.

4. Trade Konerko to the Giants for Sanchez.

Rotation:

Buehrle
Sheets
Danks
Floyd
Sanchez

Bullpen:

Jenks
Thornton
Linebrink
Dotel
Russell
Richard
Carrasco

Lineup:

Roberts
Mora
Quentin
Dye
Thome
Ramirez
Swisher
A.J.
Anderson

Bench:

Wise
Nix
infielder
catcher

Depth:

Poreda
Contreras
Cook
Beckham
Armstrong
Danks
Wassermann

russ99
11-11-2008, 07:42 PM
Here goes:

1. Sign the Cuban 3B.However, do not expect him in the majors this season.

3. Trade Vazquez,Logan,Fields,Broadway and Getz to Baltimore for Roberts and Mora.

4. Trade Konerko to the Giants for Sanchez.

Rotation:

Buehrle
Sheets
Danks
Floyd
Sanchez

Bullpen:

Jenks
Thornton
Linebrink
Dotel
Russell
Richard
Carrasco

Lineup:

Roberts
Mora
Quentin
Dye
Thome
Ramirez
Swisher
A.J.
Anderson

Bench:

Wise
Nix
infielder
catcher

Depth:

Poreda
Contreras
Cook
Beckham
Armstrong
Danks
Wassermann

Nice ideas, but Logan has zero trade value, and you'd need to throw in Swisher and Egbert or Poreda to get both Roberts and Mora.

Also, I think Sheets will be signing with Houston for more years and dollars than the Sox could/would offer. Ed Wade is desperate for starting pitching, and Sheets also wants to play with his friend Roy Oswalt.

getonbckthr
11-11-2008, 08:07 PM
Here goes:

13 million dollars for a guy who is lucky to make it to June?

BadBobbyJenks
11-11-2008, 09:30 PM
13 million dollars for a guy who is lucky to make it to June?

I will bet Sheets signs a 2 year 30 million type of deal. He did throw 198 innings this year.

gr8mexico
11-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Another trade idea
Lance Broadway to the Nationals for Elijah Dukes
Elijah Dukes is only 24 years old and he can play CF
Last year in 84AB he hit .264 13HR 44RBI 13SB 4CS and a .386OBP
The Nationals are full of OF and are rumored to be making an offer to ManRam. I still cant forget that BOMB he hit in US Cellular
http://quononbaseball.mlblogs.com/archives/2006/03/elijah_dukes.html

btrain929
11-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Another trade idea
The Nationals are full of OF and are rumored to be making an offer to ManRam. I still cant forget that BOMB he hit in US Cellular

Uhhhhhhh riiiiiiight. 13 HR's in 84 AB's definitely would be impressive. However, he had 276 AB's last year.

PalehosePlanet
11-11-2008, 10:39 PM
I will bet Sheets signs a 2 year 30 million type of deal. He did throw 198 innings this year.

If he passes his physicals, I bet he gets 3 or 4 years easily. Look at AJ Burnett's injury history and The Jays still gave him 5/55 a couple of years ago and some other fools will give him 5/70 this year. (Funny how Burnett's only healthy years were in his walk years.)

Konerko05
11-11-2008, 10:48 PM
Another trade idea

Are you aware of Dukes' criminal record? He has been arrested three times for battery, and once for assault. Threatened to kill his wife forcing her to file for a restraining order. Impregnated a 17 year old foster child living with his family. When she confronted him, he threw a bottle of gatorade at her. He has is also the father of five children with four different women. The Nationals hired a former police officer to follow him around and keep him out of trouble. No thanks.

Craig Grebeck
11-11-2008, 10:55 PM
Are you aware of Dukes' criminal record? He has been arrested three times for battery, and once for assault. Threatened to kill his wife forcing her to file for a restraining order. Impregnated a 17 year old foster child living with his family. When she confronted him, he threw a bottle of gatorade at her. He has is also the father of five children with four different women. The Nationals hired a former police officer to follow him around and keep him out of trouble. No thanks.
Plus the Nationals wouldn't give him up for such retread garbage like Lance Broadway.

Konerko05
11-11-2008, 10:59 PM
Plus the Nationals wouldn't give him up for such retread garbage like Lance Broadway.

Yes, but I'm getting tired of trying to convince people that Lance Broadway sucks. Everyone just assumes our garbage can acquire real talent.

Craig Grebeck
11-11-2008, 11:00 PM
Yes, but I'm getting tired of trying to convince people that Lance Broadway sucks. Everyone just assumes our garbage can acquire real talent.
Especially a guy like Dukes who is oozing talent.

Konerko05
11-11-2008, 11:04 PM
Especially a guy like Dukes who is oozing talent.

I would still away from the guy. He is a total scumbag who doesn't even consider consequences to his actions. Until he learns to be a somewhat civilized human being, I don't want him anywhere near the White Sox. I'm sure most players on the team would agree with me.

Edit: I do agree about the talent part.

Craig Grebeck
11-11-2008, 11:20 PM
I would still away from the guy. He is a total scumbag who doesn't even consider consequences to his actions. Until he learns to be a somewhat civilized human being, I don't want him anywhere near the White Sox. I'm sure most players on the team would agree with me.

Edit: I do agree about the talent part.
Agreed.

btrain929
11-12-2008, 12:04 AM

Chicago Tough.

gr8mexico
11-12-2008, 01:09 AM

Does anyone actually care what a player does in his private life.
I'm sure you dont care about Bobby Jenks past when he is saving games.
He was an Alcoholic, Lit his skin on fire,had problems with authority and even made many racial remarks in the past to his agent and his minor league manager. People grow up and all of us learn from our mistakes.
Elijah is only 24 years old and just needs to grow up and mature.

Nellie_Fox
11-12-2008, 01:16 AM
He was an Alcoholic, Lit his skin on fire,had problems with authority and even made many racial remarks in the past to his agent and his minor league manager. People grow up and all of us learn from our mistakes.
Elijah is only 24 years old and just needs to grow up and mature.I do. Some of them never "grow up and mature." None of those things that you attribute to Bobby (and some of them I'd never heard before) are criminal. Not so with Dukes.

gr8mexico
11-12-2008, 01:51 AM
I do. Some of them never "grow up and mature." None of those things that you attribute to Bobby (and some of them I'd never heard before) are criminal. Not so with Dukes.
Honeslty why would you care what a player does in his private life?

Craig Grebeck
11-12-2008, 08:08 AM
Elijah is only 24 years old and just needs to grow up and mature.
Don't compare alcoholism with what Dukes has done.

eaganmafia
11-12-2008, 08:18 AM
Don't compare alcoholism with what Dukes has done.

I don't think he's comparing, his point is just that young player make mistakes. They do foolish things and getting them into the right situation can do wonders for them. The best thing that happened to him was getting traded from Tampa Bay (his hometown) so he's not rolling with the same morons everyday.

Kid just needs some mentorship to help him harness all his potential and get his life back on track.

gr8mexico
11-12-2008, 08:22 AM
I don't think he's comparing, his point is just that young player make mistakes. They do foolish things and getting them into the right situation can do wonders for them. The best thing that happened to him was getting traded from Tampa Bay (his hometown) so he's not rolling with the same morons everyday.

Kid just needs some mentorship to help him harness all his potential and get his life back on track.
Thank You That's exactly what I was trying to say.

Craig Grebeck
11-12-2008, 08:31 AM
Thank You That's exactly what I was trying to say.
Well, it doesn't really matter. Lance Broadway will not be fetching Elijah Dukes.

NLaloosh
11-12-2008, 08:32 AM
The bottom line on that is this:

It would take much more than Broadway to get Dukes because the Nationals think he has huge potential and they are willing to wait a bit to see if he matures. Also, because Broadway doesn't excite any team so the return for him would be very little.

Additionally, Dukes is the type of person that Kenny Williams and Ozzie are very likely to stay away from. They try to avoid these types of problem guys.

Sargeant79
11-12-2008, 10:54 AM

Playing devil's advocate...

Let's say for the sake of argument that I don't care what he does in his private life. Fine. The guy has every right in the world to conduct himself however he chooses, regardless of my opinion of his behavior, as long as that behavior does not potentially place in jeopardy his obligations to perform his job.

Being a racist, while abhorrent, does not likely place a player's ability to do his job in jeopardy.

Being an alcoholic likely will lead to reduced performance and is thus a problem.

Illegal actions such as those for which Dukes has been arrested before, put his ability to perform in jeopardy. If he is incarcerated for these actions, then he cannot play. If he gets in trouble with the league because of these actions, he cannot play.

The guy is free to be a deuchebag all he wants. But if his actions might prevent him from playing or performing at the level expected as a major league baseball player, it is a problem.

Konerko05
11-12-2008, 04:00 PM

I see your point about Jenks. That doesn't mean the Sox should be willing to take on any player with past problems because Jenks worked out.

There is also a huge difference between someone suffering from alcohol addiction and someone who has a long history of physically and verbally abusing women.

It isn't just his "private life" if he is abusing other people. Private life is going home, shutting the blinds, rubbing crisco on your body, and dancing around to the Spiderman theme song. His private life isn't very private if it's covered on every news station. Once he puts a Sox uniform he represents the White Sox organization and the city of Chicago.

Also, your so called "private life" can say a lot about someone's character, and shouldn't be dismissed. If Jeffrey Dahmer was on the White Sox we wouldn't be saying, "we don't mind that he mutilates and eats people's flesh as long as he does it on his own time." If his "private life" life shows he is a volatile and dangerous person, it matters. It might also matter to the other 24 guys who have to spend most of their time and travel with the guy for seven months.

I never said it's impossible for someone to change. I said "until he shows......," and right now I think he is too big of a risk to the team, and organization.

gr8mexico
11-12-2008, 09:23 PM
I see your point about Jenks. That doesn't mean the Sox should be willing to take on any player with past problems because Jenks worked out.

There is also a huge difference between someone suffering from alcohol addiction and someone who has a long history of physically and verbally abusing women.

It isn't just his "private life" if he is abusing other people. Private life is going home, shutting the blinds, rubbing crisco on your body, and dancing around to the Spiderman theme song. His private life isn't very private if it's covered on every news station. Once he puts a Sox uniform he represents the White Sox organization and the city of Chicago.

Also, your so called "private life" can say a lot about someone's character, and shouldn't be dismissed. If Jeffrey Dahmer was on the White Sox we wouldn't be saying, "we don't mind that he mutilates and eats people's flesh as long as he does it on his own time." If his "private life" life shows he is a volatile and dangerous person, it matters. It might also matter to the other 24 guys who have to spend most of their time and travel with the guy for seven months.

I never said it's impossible for someone to change. I said "until he shows......," and right now I think he is too big of a risk to the team, and organization.
You must of seen my youtube video:redface:

tm1119
11-13-2008, 07:02 PM
Damn well i had Swisher being traded and to the Yankees just not quite the return i expected.

russ99
11-13-2008, 07:09 PM
Damn well i had Swisher being traded and to the Yankees just not quite the return i expected.

I don't think anyone expected Betemit as the centerpiece. I hope those kids come through for us.

So now what does everyone think? Can we re-assess and re-post new ideas?

I'd have to think Kenny is clearing payroll for a big FA splash on Friday... Maybe Orlando Hudson? Or could he be thinking bigger? :cool:

Sargeant79
11-13-2008, 07:17 PM
I don't think anyone expected Betemit as the centerpiece. I hope those kids come through for us.

Betemit is not the center piece...Marquez is.

NLaloosh
11-13-2008, 07:23 PM
I had him going to the Yankees too.......for Hughes and Kennedy. Where did I go wrong?

russ99
11-13-2008, 07:28 PM
I had him going to the Yankees too.......for Hughes and Kennedy. Where did I go wrong?

Asking too much I guess. :D: Still, that was very close. I'll have to re-read the rest of your prognostication. :cool:

gr8mexico
11-13-2008, 10:50 PM
Time to start all over with new and fresh ideas.
Trade Clayton Richards, Brandon Allen , Chris Getz for Brian Roberts
Trade Jermaine Dye to the Reds for Homer Bailey and a low prospect
Trade Javier Vazquez to the Nationals for Lastings Milledge & prospects
Sign Milton Bradley , A.J Burnett

1. Brian Roberts 2B
2. Lastings Milledge CF
3. Carlos Quentin LF
4. Jim Thome DH
5. Milton Bradley RF
6. Paul Konerko 1B
7. Alexei Ramirez SS
8 A.J C
9. Josh Fields 3B

1. Mark Buehrle
2. A.J Buernett
3. John Danks
4. Gavin Floyd
5. Aaron Poreda/ Homer Bailey
P.S wake me up I'm day dreaming:tongue:

SoxNation05
11-14-2008, 04:26 PM

1. Brian Roberts 2B
2. Lastings Milledge CF
3. Carlos Quentin LF
4. Jim Thome DH
5. Milton Bradley RF
6. Paul Konerko 1B
7. Alexei Ramirez SS
8 A.J C
9. Josh Fields 3B

1. Mark Buehrle
2. A.J Buernett
3. John Danks
4. Gavin Floyd
You have done this many times its Clayton ****ing Richard! Not Richards!

russ99
11-14-2008, 04:57 PM

1. Brian Roberts 2B
2. Lastings Milledge CF
3. Carlos Quentin LF
4. Jim Thome DH
5. Milton Bradley RF
6. Paul Konerko 1B
7. Alexei Ramirez SS
8 A.J C
9. Josh Fields 3B

1. Mark Buehrle
2. A.J Buernett
3. John Danks
4. Gavin Floyd

I like, but that's way too little for Roberts. We'd have to send them a solid MLB player and a few top prospects, which would include Poreda to even get them to the table.

Milledge was my idea! I'm just not sure if the Nats would trade him...

gr8mexico
11-14-2008, 05:09 PM
you have done this many times its claying ****ing richard! Not richards!
ooook!!!!

SoxNation05
11-14-2008, 05:11 PM
ooook!!!!
Oh my god. There is a difference between a typo and constantly spelling a players name wrong. It isn't a hard name to spell but you still **** it up.

getonbckthr
11-14-2008, 05:16 PM

1. Brian Roberts 2B
2. Lastings Milledge CF
3. Carlos Quentin LF
4. Jim Thome DH
5. Milton Bradley RF
6. Paul Konerko 1B
7. Alexei Ramirez SS
8 A.J C
9. Josh Fields 3B

1. Mark Buehrle
2. A.J Buernett
3. John Danks
4. Gavin Floyd

You have done this many times its Clayton ****ing Richard! Not Richards!
I support the use of Richards. Richard just seems like something is missing.

gr8mexico
11-14-2008, 05:28 PM
Oh my god. There is a difference between a typo and constantly spelling a players name wrong. It isn't a hard name to spell but you still **** it up.
Does it really bother you that I added an S? Why?
It's usually spelled Richards and it was just a mistake in my part.
Next time just bring it up with out being an ******* about it.