PDA

View Full Version : What is Dye's trade value?

SoxFan88
11-09-2008, 11:12 PM
either by himself or in a package deal (maybe with Swish and Broadway)....

Who could the Sox get in return that would improve this team in 09' or beyond?

GregO23
11-10-2008, 02:21 AM
Just throwing a name out there but Drew Stubbs and Homer Bailey-he was once a top prospect, maybe a move would help him?

the gooch
11-10-2008, 12:39 PM
not as much as his on-the-team value.

khan
11-10-2008, 12:40 PM
I think we'll find out soon enough what his trade value is, unfortunately...

SoxFan88
11-10-2008, 02:42 PM
I think we'll find out soon enough what his trade value is, unfortunately...

Yea I would hate to see him go too, but I'd prefer not to wait until he gets injured or his numbers drop off and he has no trade value... not that I'm expecting a big drop off next year. If the Yankees don't resign Abreu I wouldn't mind seeing him out in RF.

btrain929
11-10-2008, 04:17 PM
Yea I would hate to see him go too, but I'd prefer not to wait until he gets injured or his numbers drop off and he has no trade value... not that I'm expecting a big drop off next year. If the Yankees don't resign Abreu I wouldn't mind seeing him out in RF.

If Dye is traded, more than likely no other RF will be brought here via trade/FA. Swisher will swing over to RF, with Quentin in LF, and us looking for a CF.

SoxFan88
11-10-2008, 05:32 PM
If Dye is traded, more than likely no other RF will be brought here via trade/FA. Swisher will swing over to RF, with Quentin in LF, and us looking for a CF.

Would rather include Swish in a trade and pick up one of the free agent outfielders.

btrain929
11-10-2008, 05:40 PM
Would rather include Swish in a trade and pick up one of the free agent outfielders.

If that was an option we'd just trade Swish and keep Dye...

SoxFan88
11-10-2008, 06:03 PM
If that was an option we'd just trade Swish and keep Dye...

This would be true if the intentions were to keep Swish. If him being in a trade brings us more in return then I would have no problem if he wasn't on the team next year.

russ99
11-11-2008, 11:34 AM
I'd say Dye, who is desirable since his contract is well below market value for the numbers he produces, would return us a 3/4 starter and a young but talented outfielder/infielder.

I think the Sox could get more from an A.L. team, who could use Dye as a OF/DH than a N.L. one, but would we want to face JD often?

I still think the Sox should keep Jermaine and move Swish to 1B, with Konerko or Thome being the player moved, and yes I know about the no-trade clauses - which can be waived and have been by other players in the same situation.

Lundind1
11-11-2008, 11:50 AM
Dye has made it pretty clear that he wants to finish out his career here with the Sox. I know that doesn't mean he actually will. He did sign the extension here though when things were looking pretty awful.

If anything must go, then it is one Swisher (as much as I hate that idea), Owens, or BA. I think BA will be our center fielder and either Swisher or PK out in the cold. Remember, Swisher and Owens don't have NT protection like Dye or PK.

If Dye were to waive the NTC, he would probably end up with a west coast team.

khan
11-11-2008, 11:55 AM
I'd say Dye, who is desirable since his contract is well below market value for the numbers he produces, would return us a 3/4 starter and a young but talented outfielder/infielder.

I think the Sox could get more from an A.L. team, who could use Dye as a OF/DH than a N.L. one, but would we want to face JD often?
That might make sense. Given his results from 2008, and his below-market level contract, he's the player who will most likely return something of value.

I still think the Sox should keep Jermaine and move Swish to 1B, with Konerko or Thome being the player moved, and yes I know about the no-trade clauses - which can be waived and have been by other players in the same situation.
That might be my preference as well, IF Konerko or Thome could be moved AND they could return something of value. However, I don't think these two could be traded to the NL as easily as Dye. [Certainly not Thome, anyway.] Adding into this equation their No Trade Clauses makes dealing these two AND for value all the more difficult.

If Dye is worth a #3 or #4 SP AND a quality prospect, are Konerko/Thome then worth ONLY a #3/#4 SP? [This, given their results in 2008, their ages, and their positional limitations, etc...] And with Konerko's/Thome's NTCs, there might be only a handful of willing trade partners. And at that, these handful of teams may not make for a good match in trade...

For these reasons, I still go back to thinking that it'll be Dye that will be out the door, unfortunately...

kittle42
11-11-2008, 12:01 PM
3. Maybe 4.

MHOUSE
11-11-2008, 10:51 PM
I think Dye is the most movable trade bait that we have. He's at peak value right now considering his production and salary. He was a legit MVP candidate for a while this year. I think some contender would give up a decent amount to get him. If I were KW I would unload him now at peak value then letting him slowly age into oblivion and be worth nothing when he finally bags it or his contract expires. Move Swish to RF and pray he turns it around and sign/trade for a CF or let BA take over. I love Dye as much as anyone, but we need to get younger and make some tough decisions about the outlook of our veterans.

Lukin13
11-11-2008, 11:58 PM
Outfielders are going to be a dime-a-dozen this offseason.

I think it is going to be nearly impossible for KW to get an allstar caliber infielder in exchange for Dye. Hell, it might be hard to get a proven infielder for JD.

And for those of you throwing out replacement names for JD... save yourself the typing, IF Jermaine is dealt, it will be Nick Swisher that takes his place (with TCQ moving to RF).

Craig Grebeck
11-12-2008, 12:13 AM
Outfielders are going to be a dime-a-dozen this offseason.

I think it is going to be nearly impossible for KW to get an allstar caliber infielder in exchange for Dye. Hell, it might be hard to get a proven infielder for JD.

And for those of you throwing out replacement names for JD... save yourself the typing, IF Jermaine is dealt, it will be Nick Swisher that takes his place (with TCQ moving to RF).
Swisher to RF, with TCQ in LF is far more desirable.

btrain929
11-12-2008, 12:37 AM
Swisher to RF, with TCQ in LF is far more desirable.

I hear what you're saying, but I've always heard from coaches (not MLB caliber coaches of course, but people that have been around the game for awhile) that if the players are somewhat close talent-wise on D, that they'd prefer to have a righty-throwing OF'er in RF and a lefty-throwing OF'er in LF because of their ability to sprint to the line, field the ball, and spin and get the ball in as soon as possible.

Nellie_Fox
11-12-2008, 01:12 AM
I hear what you're saying, but I've always heard from coaches (not MLB caliber coaches of course, but people that have been around the game for awhile) that if the players are somewhat close talent-wise on D, that they'd prefer to have a righty-throwing OF'er in RF and a lefty-throwing OF'er in LF because of their ability to sprint to the line, field the ball, and spin and get the ball in as soon as possible.But, the other way you don't have to spin. :scratch: But I guess you have to pretty much stop before you can throw, while spinning lets you use your momentum. What do I know?

And you want the better arm in right (the throw to third) regardless.

ChiSoxIn06
11-12-2008, 07:30 AM
i know this is going to catch a lot of crap but other than his age hasnt he put up close to the same numbers as holliday? i mean his BA is a bit lower but other than that the numbers appear to be similiar so a little less than what OAK gave up should be what dye should fetch for us in theory

eaganmafia
11-12-2008, 08:20 AM
i know this is going to catch a lot of crap but other than his age hasnt he put up close to the same numbers as holliday? i mean his BA is a bit lower but other than that the numbers appear to be similiar so a little less than what OAK gave up should be what dye should fetch for us in theory

No...not even close.