PDA

View Full Version : Time for a Cubs BS thread...

Madscout
11-09-2008, 10:40 PM
Found this...

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081105&content_id=3664683&vkey=news_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc

I've know that University has been going down hill for a while. That Prof. should be fired.

thomas35forever
11-09-2008, 10:42 PM
Found this...

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081105&content_id=3664683&vkey=news_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc

I've know that University has been going down hill for a while. That Prof. should be fired.
Better yet, make him teach a White Sox course next semester to balance it out.

WhiteSoxFan84
11-09-2008, 10:52 PM
Just got the upcoming Winter quarter syllabus for that class...

WEEKS 1-3: History of the Chicago Cubs, Cubs Songs, and Cubs Tools (you could be one!)
WEEK 4: Championships Won by the Cubs*
WEEKS 4-7: How to Remain Faithful After 100 Years of Failure
WEEKS 8-11: How to Blame Others For Your Failures**

* = module is very short, about 10 minutes long, and will not require much time.
** = "Jinxes and Superstitions Founded By Cubs Fans" will be covered in the Spring Quarter

soltrain21
11-09-2008, 10:54 PM
Found this...

Why? Last time I checked, classes had to get approved by the university.

The Cubplex here is ridiculous.

hellview
11-09-2008, 11:08 PM
Rutgers teaches a Yankee class and i believe you can take a Red Sox class at Umass.

This is nothing new...

Nellie_Fox
11-10-2008, 12:36 AM
Why? Last time I checked, classes had to get approved by the university. Only speaking for my university, you only have to go through the curriculum approval process for a "permanent" course. If I want to teach a "topics" class, there is a general number in our department for that, and I just have to put it on the "load plan" for the year. No approval other than having it okayed by the department chair as part of my teaching load. For example, next semester I'm teaching a course in blood pattern analysis, and it has not been trough the curriculum process.

DumpJerry
11-10-2008, 06:18 AM
Found this...

The bigger issue is this:

Why do you go to the Cubs' website?:scratch:

TornLabrum
11-10-2008, 06:28 AM

Flubsession knows no bounds.

eastchicagosoxfan
11-10-2008, 07:57 AM
At the risk of losing my White Sox identity, I think if taught well, it could be an interesting class. First off, there's very little to celebrate other than the frivilous. But, they have been around since 1876, and 1871 if the National Association team is attatched. The game's origins can be traced, and its growth as a result of the Civil War. The end of amateurism and the growth of professional athletes could be studied. Institutionalized racism, epitomized by Cap Anson is worth a look. Competetion from the free market, with the birth and death of rival leagues, as well as labor relations, and the rise and fall of the Player's League are also worthy of study. The Cubs have won 10 NL pennants since 1906, and each of those seasons can provide an interesting angle of American society. 1906-10 might allow for the study of baseball as big business. 1916 could be used to introduce gambling and its effects on the game. 1929-38 could be used to introduce the Depression and its effects on the sports. 1945 could discuss the war. Th decay and rebirth of large cities could take up some time too, from 1946 to the present, and relate it to baseball. The angle of sports as purely entertainment, in which the outcome isn't as important as the experience, is certainly worth studying. Sammy Sosa is a great lead-in to steriods. Superstition in sports? The Cubs are a self-fufilling prophecy. If the class is like the team now, it's a waste, but if it goes beyond simplistic catch-phrases and loveable losers, it could be interesting.

aryzner
11-10-2008, 08:24 AM
I agree that it could be interesting. I don't care if it's the Cubs, I find baseball history fascinating regardless of what team we're talking about.

Foulke You
11-10-2008, 10:07 AM
"About 25 bright young minds gather at DePaul University twice a week for an in-depth class every Chicagoan can relate to."

:rolleyes:

slavko
11-10-2008, 10:38 AM
I'm glad they're putting my annual contribution to good use. When I make out the check this December, I should fill in the response card directing my contribution to be used for more directionless horse**** of this kind. Any future employer would be elated to see this on a transcript.

It would be a rewarding experience for any of you to follow the link and read the article. Hilarious. (and I have degrees from that place!)

chisoxmike
11-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Wow. And people wonder why Sox fans hate the Cubs.

ChiSoxFan81
11-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Wow. I know there's ballroom dancing and bowling, but 4 credit hours for this? Pretty ridiculous.

Textbooks still not discounted for this course.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i225/chisoxfan81/32935454.jpg

C-Dawg
11-10-2008, 11:51 AM
The class is meant to be fun. Like the description foretold, the big class field trip was to Wrigley Field for a Cubs game, a memorable 12-inning comeback victory against Milwaukee on Sept. 18. Another day, Banwart assigned a Cubs scavenger hunt in the library. One period, the students tried to name a Cubs player for every letter of the alphabet. Zambrano made the last one pretty easy.

This is college? Or kindergarten?

Madscout
11-10-2008, 01:02 PM

It can be access by going to the MLB website. You don't have to go the the cub's website.

I was kidding, I thought I'd lighten the mood around here. If you want to teal police me for not tealing "He should be fired", that's another story.

Jimmy Piersall
11-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Hurry and sign up boys and girls because the first 25 kids admitted to class get a free field trip included...they have these rallies see,where guys like Ron Santo...

soxpride724
11-10-2008, 09:18 PM

Exactly.

FedEx227
11-10-2008, 09:31 PM
I agree that it could be interesting. I don't care if it's the Cubs, I find baseball history fascinating regardless of what team we're talking about.

I'd love to be in a baseball history class. I think the early years of baseball are absolutely fascinating. I loved Ken Burns documentary up until the 30s because then it just became Yankees, Red Sox, Brooklyn, Yankees, Giants, Red Sox, Yankees. But before that it's absolutely amazing to learn about.

manders_01
11-10-2008, 10:55 PM
Wow. I know there's ballroom dancing and bowling, but 4 credit hours for this? Pretty ridiculous.

Agreed. No type of class like this should be for credit, including if there was a White Sox one. This doesn't even seem applicable to most if not all sports majors (although admittedly, I don't know what all the sports majors are).

turners56
11-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Rutgers teaches a Yankee class and i believe you can take a Red Sox class at Umass.

This is nothing new...

But those franchises actually mean something.

FedEx227
11-11-2008, 09:48 AM
But those franchises actually mean something.

I'll argue all day that the Red Sox don't really have all that much history.

The Yankees no argument, they are a cornerstone of baseball, but besides Ted Williams, Fenway Park and losing what do the Red Sox have?

eaganmafia
11-11-2008, 09:55 AM

The Yankees no argument, they are a cornerstone of baseball, but besides Ted Williams, Fenway Park and losing what do the Red Sox have?

There's alot more to a franchise then how many championships they've won. Marlins have 2 World Series in the last 10 years but I'd rather have a class about the Cubs or Indians who have a much richer history.

Jimmy Piersall
11-11-2008, 10:49 AM
There's alot more to a franchise then how many championships they've won. Marlins have 2 World Series in the last 10 years but I'd rather have a class about the Cubs or Indians who have a much richer history.

Define "richer" please :scratch:

turners56
11-11-2008, 11:19 AM

Babe Ruth? He was a pretty damn good pitcher and hitter with the Red Sox until they stupidly sold him to the Yankees. He was also very close to becoming a White Sox as well.

Foulke You
11-12-2008, 11:18 AM
You'd be arguing alone I think. The Red Sox have quite a rich history in baseball and it just isn't their ballpark. If you don't believe me, check out the book "Deadball Stars of the American League" and read the huge section on Boston. There is plenty of history on that team. Don't let your hatred for the Red Sox cloud the fact that there is history there. The Red Sox might not be popular around these parts but nobody can argue against their place in baseball history.

Dub25
11-12-2008, 08:01 PM
I don't know what was funnier, the article or the posts afterwards. Some of the "brilliant" trade offers were horrible but yet they were patting each other on the back about how great those moves would be. Of course they would be good if you could sucker somebody with your crap. Also, I love Peavy being on SF.

MUsoxfan
11-24-2008, 04:00 PM
Seems like a easy GPA booster to me

Link (http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081105&content_id=3664683&vkey=news_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc)

turners56
11-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Seems like a easy GPA booster to me

Link (http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081105&content_id=3664683&vkey=news_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc)

Been posted.

MUsoxfan
11-24-2008, 04:04 PM
Been posted.

Oops. Must've missed that one:redface:

white sox bill
11-24-2008, 04:46 PM
It is a long running franchise that does have historical value. Here's a peek at the table of contents from the textbook:

The Lean years... Pages 1-341
The Winning years.... Page 342

RadioheadRocks
11-24-2008, 08:25 PM
It is a long running franchise that does have historical value. Here's a peek at the table of contents from the textbook:

Congratulations Bill, you've just passed the final exam!

chisoxfanatic
11-24-2008, 08:27 PM

The book is 342 pages long???

Cuck the Fubs
11-24-2008, 10:29 PM

You can't possibly capture 100 years of pain,agony,suffering and heartbreak in anything less.

4 points
11-25-2008, 06:13 AM
At the risk of losing my White Sox identity, I think if taught well, it could be an interesting class. First off, there's very little to celebrate other than the frivilous. But, they have been around since 1876, and 1871 if the National Association team is attatched. The game's origins can be traced, and its growth as a result of the Civil War. The end of amateurism and the growth of professional athletes could be studied. Institutionalized racism, epitomized by Cap Anson is worth a look. Competetion from the free market, with the birth and death of rival leagues, as well as labor relations, and the rise and fall of the Player's League are also worthy of study. The Cubs have won 10 NL pennants since 1906, and each of those seasons can provide an interesting angle of American society. 1906-10 might allow for the study of baseball as big business. 1916 could be used to introduce gambling and its effects on the game. 1929-38 could be used to introduce the Depression and its effects on the sports. 1945 could discuss the war. Th decay and rebirth of large cities could take up some time too, from 1946 to the present, and relate it to baseball. The angle of sports as purely entertainment, in which the outcome isn't as important as the experience, is certainly worth studying. Sammy Sosa is a great lead-in to steriods. Superstition in sports? The Cubs are a self-fufilling prophecy. If the class is like the team now, it's a waste, but if it goes beyond simplistic catch-phrases and loveable losers, it could be interesting.

Do they give you a free pack of juicy fruit?:gulp:

4 points
11-25-2008, 06:17 AM
Agreed. No type of class like this should be for credit, including if there was a White Sox one. This doesn't even seem applicable to most if not all sports majors (although admittedly, I don't know what all the sports majors are).

How come the Sox never get any credit?:scratch:

RedHeadPaleHoser
11-25-2008, 12:50 PM

339 pages of photos; 330 of them comprise "historic" Wrigley Field.

Nellie_Fox
11-25-2008, 02:08 PM
339 pages of photos; 330 of them comprise "historic" Wrigley Field.And 320 are photos of individual ivy leaves.

ChiSoxFan81
11-25-2008, 02:34 PM
And 320 are photos of individual ivy leaves.

That were tragically lost when some south side lunatic dumped chemicals on them.

RedHeadPaleHoser
11-26-2008, 06:30 AM
And 320 are photos of individual ivy leaves.

That were tragically lost when some south side lunatic dumped chemicals on them.

Classic!!! :kneeslap::rolling:

DumpJerry
11-26-2008, 07:03 AM
It is printed in 20 point font and they printed each page verrryyy slowly.