PDA

View Full Version : Dear Kenny

sweetjpo
11-09-2008, 07:07 PM
I have heard rumors of the Sox trading Lance Broadway for Willy Tavares? This might be the worst move the Sox could make because, I mean really, who is Willy Tavares. Yes he will steal 50 bases but his defense and batting average is not worth the price of Broadway.

One thing the Sox shold be focusing on is getting Garrett Atkins. Mark my words if he comes to the Twins or Indians, he will hurt us for years to come. Trading for him we will be killing two birds with one stone, getting a young third basemen and keeping him out of our opponents uniform. Package up Dye (once the Rockies lose Holliday), Anderson (they do not have a young centerfielder once Tavares goes, and Clayton Richard (they want young pitching)

dickallen15
11-09-2008, 07:11 PM
I have heard rumors of the Sox trading Lance Broadway for Willy Tavares? This might be the worst move the Sox could make because, I mean really, who is Willy Tavares. Yes he will steal 50 bases but his defense and batting average is not worth the price of Broadway.

One thing the Sox shold be focusing on is getting Garrett Atkins. Mark my words if he comes to the Twins or Indians, he will hurt us for years to come. Trading for him we will be killing two birds with one stone, getting a young third basemen and keeping him out of our opponents uniform. Package up Dye (once the Rockies lose Holliday), Anderson (they do not have a young centerfielder once Tavares goes, and Clayton Richard (they want young pitching)

Have you seen Lance Broadway?

Konerko05
11-09-2008, 07:13 PM
Why do people have the impression that Lance Broadway is a good pitcher?

Craig Grebeck
11-09-2008, 07:15 PM

Do people know how bad Lance Broadway is? Or how painfully medicore Garrett Atkins is?

RowanDye
11-09-2008, 07:17 PM

Atkins has a good bat, but he's mediocre defensively. Plus he'll be 29 next year. If Adrian Beltre is healthy, I would much rather have him. Beltre is about the same age, comparable offensively and plays much better defense.

soxwon
11-09-2008, 07:21 PM
the cuban 19 yr old is our 3b, and he's gonna be great.
you betcha

soxfan21
11-09-2008, 07:25 PM
you betcha

Agree, and I really hope that we get him.

Craig Grebeck
11-09-2008, 07:25 PM
you betcha

Agree, and I really hope that we get him.
He will not start on any major league ballclub next season.

sweetjpo
11-09-2008, 07:27 PM
I want to know how a career .298//360/.474 is average? and last year he only made 9 errors. That sounds like a guy that would fit perfect in the Sox lineup batting in the 5 hole. Beltre already got a taste for the big money when he went to Seattle, and now he will want the same money.

As for Broadway, the kid has not gotten a chance to pitch a full season in the bigs. Look at what Floyd did with a full season this year. Broadway has shown command when he started and mixed his pitches really well.

Craig Grebeck
11-09-2008, 07:28 PM
I want to know how a career .298//360/.474 is average? and last year he only made 9 errors. That sounds like a guy that would fit perfect in the Sox lineup batting in the 5 hole. Beltre already got a taste for the big money when he went to Seattle, and now he will want the same money.

As for Broadway, the kid has not gotten a chance to pitch a full season in the bigs. Look at what Floyd did with a full season this year. Broadway has shown command when he started and mixed his pitches really well.
I'm not even going to bother breaking this down for you. Look at Atkins' home/road splits and Broadway's minor league career in comparison to Floyd's. Then, watch game tape of Floyd then game tape of Broadway.

Please.

soxfan21
11-09-2008, 07:28 PM
He will not start on any major league ballclub next season.

You never know what could really happen. I know that his chances would be slim, but no one really thought Alexi would have been major league ready this past season either, and that turned out pretty good. Just have to wait and see what happens and hope for the best.

hellview
11-09-2008, 07:50 PM
You never know what could really happen. I know that his chances would be slim, but no one really thought Alexi would have been major league ready this past season either, and that turned out pretty good. Just have to wait and see what happens and hope for the best.

Alexei was 26, this kid is 19 years old...that's a pretty big difference.

If he's good enough he'll be in the majors when he's ready, but it's stupid to even imagine this guy opening day playing 3b.

turners56
11-09-2008, 08:14 PM

Floyd has 10x the stuff Broadway has. Bottom line: Broadway sucks and he will never be all that good because his stuff sucks as well. Plus, Atkins is very mediocre away from Coors. He's not going to put up the same numbers he put up in recent years at the Cell, although it won't be as bad as people think.

btrain929
11-09-2008, 08:14 PM

Yeah, his 86 MPH fastball followed by his 81 MPH changeup. :rolleyes:

He doesn't even have anything that resembles an out-pitch. Poreda doesn't have an out-pitch either, but he can get by a little bit better because he throws 95+. Broadway should not and will not get any chance with us in the near future. If COL is dumb enough to trade Taveras straight up for Broadway, you do it in .3 seconds.

turners56
11-09-2008, 08:15 PM

Taveras covers a bunch of ground and is among league leaders in assists in almost every season he's played. His career batting average is around .280. He's better than you think he is.

Craig Grebeck
11-09-2008, 08:15 PM

He doesn't even have anything that resembles an out-pitch. Poreda doesn't have an out-pitch either, but he can get by a little bit better because he throws 95+. Broadway should not and will not get any chance with us in the near future. If COL is dumb enough to trade Taveras straight up for Broadway, you do it in .3 seconds.
Where the hell are people coming up with this information?

btrain929
11-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Where the hell are people coming up with this information?

What part of that are you questioning? Because that was sample size paraphrase from Buddy Bell when he was on White Sox weekly on 670 yesterday. Not that I even needed that to cite, because it's already been well documented that he throws hard and his offspeed stuff is not even close to being considered "average."

I don't know what rock in Rockford you've been living under if you disagree with anything I said above. I'll take Buddy Bell's word over Daver Jr's word anyday....

cbrownson13
11-09-2008, 08:30 PM
I'm not even going to bother breaking this down for you. Look at Atkins' home/road splits and Broadway's minor league career in comparison to Floyd's. Then, watch game tape of Floyd then game tape of Broadway.

Please.

And since when is US Cellular Field a pitcher's park? I'm of the sentiment that I'd much rather have Adrian Beltre or the Cuban kid, but let's not pretend like Atkins numbers wouldn't be similar hitting at The Cell. They would.

Brian26
11-09-2008, 08:54 PM
you betcha

What are you basing that on? Those are awfully powerful words about a guy that 99% of the White Sox fan base had never heard of or seen video of before the story broke yesterday.

Craig Grebeck
11-09-2008, 09:20 PM
What part of that are you questioning? Because that was sample size paraphrase from Buddy Bell when he was on White Sox weekly on 670 yesterday. Not that I even needed that to cite, because it's already been well documented that he throws hard and his offspeed stuff is not even close to being considered "average."

I don't know what rock in Rockford you've been living under if you disagree with anything I said above. I'll take Buddy Bell's word over Daver Jr's word anyday....
His slider is considered by many to be above average. Don't make a blanket statement and say he has no out pitch.
And since when is US Cellular Field a pitcher's park? I'm of the sentiment that I'd much rather have Adrian Beltre or the Cuban kid, but let's not pretend like Atkins numbers wouldn't be similar hitting at The Cell. They would.
The two parks aren't similar at all.

hellview
11-09-2008, 09:29 PM
Taveras covers a bunch of ground and is among league leaders in assists in almost every season he's played. His career batting average is around .280. He's better than you think he is.

Do OBP % mean anything to anyone on this board?

Domeshot17
11-09-2008, 09:31 PM
His slider is considered by many to be above average. Don't make a blanket statement and say he has no out pitch.

The two parks aren't similar at all.

False. His slider is considered better than his Curve and has the POTENTIAL to be his out pitch, but as of right now, his slider is just average at best, and he doesn't have anything beyond a plus fastball and a good but not special change up. Right now, He is Matt Thornton. Yes, he can throw a slider, yes, it resembles a breaking ball. No, that slider is not an out yet pitch right now, and could not be one in the majors without improvement.

Keep in mind, he throws this slider because he couldn't develop the Curve some people was so sure he could develop.

Craig Grebeck
11-09-2008, 09:35 PM
False. His slider is considered better than his Curve and has the POTENTIAL to be his out pitch, but as of right now, his slider is just average at best, and he doesn't have anything beyond a plus fastball and a good but not special change up. Right now, He is Matt Thornton. Yes, he can throw a slider, yes, it resembles a breaking ball. No, that slider is not an out yet pitch right now, and could not be one in the majors without improvement.

Keep in mind, he throws this slider because he couldn't develop the Curve some people was so sure he could develop.
I trust John Sickels.

Domeshot17
11-09-2008, 09:37 PM
I trust John Sickels.

well hopefully you and Sickels are right and every other scouting report and service is wrong. However, my gut says go with the 99.5% that say Poreda isn't learning his secondary pitches quick enough and only getting by on his fastball.

A. Cavatica
11-09-2008, 09:38 PM
Our crap for their crap. Taveras is a better player than Broadway, but he's not the answer to our centerfield/leadoff problems.

Craig Grebeck
11-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Our crap for their crap. Taveras is a better player than Broadway, but he's not the answer to our centerfield/leadoff problems.
Pretty much. We don't really need an outfielder like Taveras -- he'd play as a middle infielder though.

EuroSox35
11-09-2008, 09:49 PM
next time just email him

Daver
11-09-2008, 09:50 PM
I trust John Sickels.

Why in the world would you do that?

You would be better off watching tape of Poreda pitch, it's not exactly pretty.

Daver
11-09-2008, 09:51 PM
Do OBP % mean anything to anyone on this board?

Yeah, it's another stat that is poorly used and misread by most. Steve Swisher has good OBP, it doesn't improve his skills at the plate.

Craig Grebeck
11-09-2008, 09:57 PM
Why in the world would you do that?

You would be better off watching tape of Poreda pitch, it's not exactly pretty.
Have you seen Poreda's most recent video? I'd hope you aren't watching tape that Carlos Gomez (Hardball Times) broke down immediately after the draft -- as that was outdated and inaccurate.

Poreda last week in the AFL: http://www.vimeo.com/2181025

Edit: Let me know what you think.

Daver
11-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Have you seen Poreda's most recent video? I'd hope you aren't watching tape that Carlos Gomez (Hardball Times) broke down immediately after the draft -- as that was outdated and inaccurate.

Poreda last week in the AFL: http://www.vimeo.com/2181025

Edit: Let me know what you think.

I don't watch much from any scouting sources, I don't visit them.

I have ten games that he pitched this year in Birmingham on tape, his mechanics leave a lot to be desired, and that is putting it kindly.

WhiteSox5187
11-09-2008, 10:27 PM
Yeah, it's another stat that is poorly used and misread by most. Steve Swisher has good OBP, it doesn't improve his skills at the plate.
I'm willing to bet you meant NICK Swisher as Steve Swisher's best OBP was .331 and that was only in 115 ABs.

Daver
11-09-2008, 10:39 PM
I'm willing to bet you meant NICK Swisher as Steve Swisher's best OBP was .331 and that was only in 115 ABs.

That's a bet you'd win, and I'm showing my age.

:)

California Sox
11-09-2008, 10:51 PM

Isn't a 95+ fastball with sink an out pitch?

hellview
11-09-2008, 11:06 PM
Isn't a 95+ fastball with sink an out pitch?

Not when it's the only pitch you can throw. You can't last 6-7 innings just throwing that. That's why most people say he'll end up in the bullpen.

California Sox
11-09-2008, 11:45 PM
Not when it's the only pitch you can throw. You can't last 6-7 innings just throwing that. That's why most people say he'll end up in the bullpen.

It's still an out pitch. And if you're a one-pitch pitcher, your one pitch had better be.

oeo
11-09-2008, 11:51 PM
It's still an out pitch. And if you're a one-pitch pitcher, your one pitch had better be.

Alright, I've read conflicting reports on Poreda (most of them here, from people that really don't know but act like it). I consider you one of the more knowledgeable people here on our minor league system (wish you would post more). Have you actually seen Poreda pitch? Because I've read that his slider is actually pretty good, and he's not a one pitch pitcher like everyone here believes him to be. He still needs more than fastball-slider, but I'm really getting sick of people who likely have never seen him throw the ball say that he's got a fastball and nothing else.

guillensdisciple
11-10-2008, 02:08 AM

Sorry, have you seen Lance Broadway?

cws05champ
11-10-2008, 08:16 AM

Uhhh, false. There's a reason they want to trade Taveras. They have Dexter Fowler coming up through the system who's supposed to take over. I'm shocked that anyone would want to give up Dye's production, Anderson's D and a young lefty pitcher with more upside than Broadway for Atkins.

sweetjpo
11-11-2008, 02:16 PM
How many more chances are we going to give Anderson to perform? He is a bench player at best. Yes his defense is good but his bat is pretty terrible

kittle42
11-11-2008, 02:30 PM
How many more chances are we going to give Anderson to perform? He is a bench player at best. Yes his defense is good but his bat is pretty terrible

While I of course agree with this, I also think this is a gimmick.

JB98
11-11-2008, 03:20 PM

Not this **** again. :rolleyes:

khan
11-11-2008, 04:08 PM
If Taveras could be had for Broadway, I'd take it. At least Taveras, for all his faults, has proven himself to be at least MLB-quality, if perhaps only as a bench player.

From what I've seen of Broadway, he isn't even AAAA quality. For that matter, if ANYTHING could be had for Broadway, I'd do it in a heartbeat.