PDA

View Full Version : Nationals unveil new uniforms

PKalltheway
11-08-2008, 05:15 PM
The home jerseys and the red alternates don't look that different, but their road jerseys look significantly different. They have also added a new blue alternate jersey that looks decent IMO. It's a little busy, but in an era where a lot of uniforms look alike, the blue alternate is a nice change of pace. Their road uniforms look a lot like the old Expos road unis.

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081106&content_id=3668093&vkey=news_was&fext=.jsp&c_id=was

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2008/11/06/ZzBXi9FA.jpg

http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-5427981t130.gif http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-5427995t130.gif http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-5427988t130.gif

turners56
11-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Maybe they also need a name change so they can be like the Rays...

Chrisaway
11-08-2008, 05:23 PM
I like those road greys.

WhiteSoxFan84
11-08-2008, 05:25 PM
This will probably be the only move that the Natz make this offseason that makes sense.

turners56
11-08-2008, 05:26 PM
The home jerseys and the red alternates don't look that different, but their road jerseys look significantly different. They have also added a new blue alternate jersey that looks decent IMO. It's a little busy, but in an era where a lot of uniforms look alike, the blue alternate is a nice change of pace. Their road uniforms look a lot like the old Expos road unis.

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081106&content_id=3668093&vkey=news_was&fext=.jsp&c_id=was

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2008/11/06/ZzBXi9FA.jpg

http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-5427981t130.gif http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-5427995t130.gif http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-5427988t130.gif

Now that you added the blue jersey, I like it.

The regular home and aways aren't all that interesting. But that blue jersey sure as hell is.

AnkleSox
11-08-2008, 05:47 PM
They need to just bring back the Expos name and elb jerseys/hats.

hellview
11-08-2008, 06:17 PM
They need to fire Jim Bowden

russ99
11-08-2008, 06:24 PM
I really like them, except for that hideous stars-n-stripes DC logo.

The road grey and the red one are near-perfect throwbacks from the former Washington Senators of the 60's and early 70's who then became the Rangers in 1972.

johnnyg83
11-08-2008, 06:46 PM
i like the road greys too -- traditional, classic look. The alt. reds are decent, but those navy ones ... the logo ... ugh.

I wish they'd redo the home whites too -- notably the size and font of the lettering.

cub killer
11-08-2008, 06:56 PM
They need to just bring back the Expos name and elb jerseys/hats.

I would have preferred for them to be the D.C. Expos from the start, in 2005. I prefer franchise continuity. Like the Lakers, Dodgers, Giants, Colts, Jazz and Braves. They all kept their names when they moved. They maintained a sense of continuity, thus it's easier to connect to teams in their past history because they bore the same name.

Teams like the Nationals, Ravens, Oklahoma Thunder, and Titans didn't maintain that connection to their past. I don't like that, I wish pro sports would stop doing that. A team's name doesn't always have to reflect the area they're in. There are no lakes near L.A. and the Lakers seem to be doing just fine. No trolley-dodging down there either.

getonbckthr
11-08-2008, 07:54 PM
I think I just fell in love!:redface:
Anywho I like the Blue jerseys. I wish every team had a patriotic jersey.

Sox4ever77
11-08-2008, 08:26 PM
I would have preferred for them to be the D.C. Expos from the start, in 2005. I prefer franchise continuity. Like the Lakers, Dodgers, Giants, Colts, Jazz and Braves. They all kept their names when they moved. They maintained a sense of continuity, thus it's easier to connect to teams in their past history because they bore the same name.

Teams like the Nationals, Ravens, Oklahoma Thunder, and Titans didn't maintain that connection to their past. I don't like that, I wish pro sports would stop doing that. A team's name doesn't always have to reflect the area they're in. There are no lakes near L.A. and the Lakers seem to be doing just fine. No trolley-dodging down there either.

So the Chicago Bears should be the Chicago Stanelys?

Bucky F. Dent
11-08-2008, 08:32 PM
I really like them, except for that hideous stars-n-stripes DC logo.

Seriously!?!

I thought that was the best part. I was about to suggest they add that logo to the caps.

Different strokes.

oeo
11-08-2008, 08:35 PM
They look good. Why the hell didn't they dump that home jersey, as well? It's terrible.

They should get rid of the red alternate, make it white with a red W and red piping for their home uniform.

Lip Man 1
11-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Very nice. All the way around.

Lip

PaleHoser
11-08-2008, 10:18 PM
Road greys will look better if they dump the blue road cap, but they don't plan to.

whitesox901
11-08-2008, 10:34 PM

I agree with all of it, especially the bold

Oh and BTW, the new Nats jersey rock!

Sox4ever77
11-08-2008, 11:23 PM
I agree with all of it, especially the bold

Oh and BTW, the new Nats jersey rock!

So the Florida White Sox would have been ok?

WhiteSox5187
11-09-2008, 12:18 AM
Road greys will look better if they dump the blue road cap, but they don't plan to.
I agree, I think it would be nice to go to a red cap much like the old Senators uniforms of the late 1960s and early 1970s.

SoxNation05
11-09-2008, 01:10 AM
I like the grays their nasty.

The reds need a bigger logo.

Navys are bad.

Nellie_Fox
11-09-2008, 01:36 AM
I would have preferred for them to be the D.C. Expos from the start, in 2005.That would make every bit as much sense as the Utah Jazz. Sometimes, a name can travel (Athletics, Braves, Giants) and be okay. Sometimes it can't.

The only reason the L.A. Lakers works is because it's been so damned long that almost no one remembers why the were the Lakers in the first place.

TheOldRoman
11-09-2008, 03:20 AM
FYI, the navy alternate is not a regular. It will be worn only on holidays.

skobabe8
11-09-2008, 09:49 AM
I really like the WASHINGTON script instead of the stupid block font.

DirtySox
11-09-2008, 12:03 PM
I like all of them. The Blue one especially.

Aren't the Orioles going to be showing off new jerseys sometime this month as well?

manders_01
11-09-2008, 12:04 PM
So the Chicago Bears should be the Chicago Stanelys?

Not to completely go off topic but it's actually "Staley". And A.E. Staley was bought by UK's Tate and Lyle in '88 and although the locals still refer to it as Staleys, the company operates as Tate and Lyle. In the instance of Da Bears, I would vote no. Naming a team after a corporation and indirectly after yourself is a bit egotistical. :D:

Sox4ever77
11-09-2008, 12:42 PM
Not to completely go off topic but it's actually "Staley". And A.E. Staley was bought by UK's Tate and Lyle in '88 and although the locals still refer to it as Staleys, the company operates as Tate and Lyle. In the instance of Da Bears, I would vote no. Naming a team after a corporation and indirectly after yourself is a bit egotistical. :D:

So they would have been named the Staleys for about 50 years, then change their name to Tate and Lyle? Just like the stadiums, Enron Field to Minute Maid Park. :)

Railsplitter
11-09-2008, 12:45 PM

You don't seem to object to the Browns staying in cleveland, which as part of the deal when Modell moved to Baltimore.

I guess the St. Louis Browns were so terrible everybody wants to disown them.

Lundind1
11-09-2008, 02:13 PM
Those blue jerseys are pretty cool. I kinda like that new look. There are some teams that need to have a jersey/logo makeover. It is good that the Nats are going to a slightly different format. The only problem that I have with it that they have little brand identity. They need to build recognition now with being a "new" team. The problem is that they need to find a standard format and then attempt to build a winner.

Love the new jerseys though.

I want Mags back
11-09-2008, 02:46 PM
the logo on the blue one reminds me of the logo we wore in the 1917 world series
http://www.sportslogos.net/images/logos/53/55/full/767.gif"]http://www.sportslogos.net/images/logos/53/55/full/767.gif

cub killer
11-09-2008, 04:22 PM
You don't seem to object to the Browns staying in cleveland, which as part of the deal when Modell moved to Baltimore.

I guess the St. Louis Browns were so terrible everybody wants to disown them.

Yeah, the fans whined and cried about it. The Ravens should be the Baltimore Browns. That woulda put their Super Bowl win into better perspective, since we all knew the bad luck the Browns had for years before that.

I really hope that Utah Jazz fans aren't complaining about their team name. Continuity maintains tradition and tradition is important in sports.

If the Staleys remained the Staleys, they would have been just as popular. Super Bowl XX woulda been just as sweet. Look at our team's name. White Sox? We're cheering on something you put on your feet? But so what, we love them all the same. And no one would ever think of changing that name.

So I vote Thumbs Up on franchise name continuity. Maybe we should start a poll in a seperate thread on the issue.

I want Mags back
11-09-2008, 04:31 PM
Yeah, the fans whined and cried about it. The Ravens should be the Baltimore Browns. That woulda put their Super Bowl win into better perspective, since we all knew the bad luck the Browns had for years before that.

I really hope that Utah Jazz fans aren't complaining about their team name. Continuity maintains tradition and tradition is important in sports.

If the Staleys remained the Staleys, they would have been just as popular. Super Bowl XX woulda been just as sweet. Look at our team's name. White Sox? We're cheering on something you put on your feet? But so what, we love them all the same. And no one would ever think of changing that name.

So I vote Thumbs Up on franchise name continuity. Maybe we should start a poll in a seperate thread on the issue.
:rolleyes:

Lip Man 1
11-09-2008, 07:01 PM
Regarding the Jazz, when New Orleans got the Charlotte franchise they were actually looking into the possibility of buying back the name "Jazz" from the Salt Lake City franchise, but SLC wanted to much money for it.

Ditto when Washington got a baseball team again, initially they wanted the name Senators but discovered that the Texas Rangers own all the rights to that name, logo etc from when they were moved to Arlington.

Apparently the Rangers and Washington couldn't agree on a price and they moved in another direction.

Lip

TheOldRoman
11-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Regarding the Jazz, when New Orleans got the Charlotte franchise they were actually looking into the possibility of buying back the name "Jazz" from the Salt Lake City franchise, but SLC wanted to much money for it.

Ditto when Washington got a baseball team again, initially they wanted the name Senators but discovered that the Texas Rangers own all the rights to that name, logo etc from when they were moved to Arlington.

Apparently the Rangers and Washington couldn't agree on a price and they moved in another direction.

LipIt is true that the Rangers own the Senators name. However, I have heard from a few different sources that it wasn't the real reason they picks Nationals. Selig was in love with the Senators name, but the mayor of DC considered it a deal breaker. He didn't want the team to be called the Senators because DC has no representation in the senate. Apparently, this was a big issue with some people there. The team not being called the Senators was one of the things he insisted upon for the deal to go forward. Selig eventually agreed to the Nationals name, but put in a clause that the new owners could change the name to whatever they wanted.

Whitesox029
11-09-2008, 08:39 PM
Actually, they closely resemble the road uniforms of the second Senators
in their last years in Washington, except that they have the city's name across the front rather than the team name. I always thought the script W on the hat with block letters on the uniform was goofy looking. This is much better. http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/detail_page.asp?fileName=al_1971_washington.gif&Entryid=1198

PaleHoser
11-10-2008, 01:29 AM
Aren't the Orioles going to be showing off new jerseys sometime this month as well?

November 12th. Early word is that they are going back to a "Baltimore" script on their road jersey and maybe a new cap.

Sox4ever77
11-10-2008, 02:48 AM

Great idea!!

Nellie_Fox
11-10-2008, 02:58 AM
White Sox? We're cheering on something you put on your feet? But so what, we love them all the same. And no one would ever think of changing that name.But the name isn't based on any peculiarity of Chicago. It can move to another location and not miss a beat. The Atlanta Flames becoming the Calgary Flames was just stupid. They absolutely should have changed. Can you imagine the Colorado Nordiques? Seriously?

Maybe we should start a poll in a separate thread on the issue.

Great idea!!Knock yourself out. The owners of the teams don't care what you think.

Thome25
11-10-2008, 09:23 AM
I really like the blue jersey with the red, white, and blue "D-C" logo. I guess I'm in the minority though.

goofymsfan
11-10-2008, 11:11 AM
I really like the blue jersey with the red, white, and blue "D-C" logo. I guess I'm in the minority though.

I don't think you were in the minority. I thought most of the people liked it and only a few didn't like it. I like it.

esbrechtel
11-10-2008, 03:35 PM
I'd like to see a bigger picture of the Blues but I do like it as well...they are pretty sweet.

Max Power
11-10-2008, 05:12 PM
I really like the road and I like the home. The r/w/b logo on the blue alt looks awful; it makes the "DC" difficult to read. The whole package is still an upgrade from the crap they had been wearing though.