PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Levine reporting Sox in talks with Phillies

wulfy
11-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Take it for what it's worth ... reported today on Silvy and Waddle on ESPN 1000:

Regarding Jermaine Dye. Says preliminary talks at this point, but the Phils are interested in Dye to play LF to replace Burrell. No word on what the Sox could expect back, but Levine said not to expect the Flyin' Hawaiian in return.

Rockabilly
11-07-2008, 11:55 AM
would love to get Ryan Madson from the Phils

btrain929
I DID read in an article a few days ago that the Phils would quietly see what they could get for Rollins. Now I know Dye straight up for Rollins wouldn't happen, and we probably couldn't make it happen w/o giving up Danks/Floyd, but if they were dumb enough to do Dye, Poreda, & _____, etc for him, that would be fantabulous.

veeter
Probably Werth.

Boondock Saint
11-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Take it for what it's worth ... reported today on Silvy and Waddle on ESPN 1000:

Regarding Jermaine Dye. Says preliminary talks at this point, but the Phils are interested in Dye to play LF to replace Burrell. No word on what the Sox could expect back, but Levine said not to expect the Flyin' Hawaiian in return.

If Victorino isn't involved, I don't see what the point is. We need a 2B, a CF and could use another starter. Their middle infielders aren't going anywhere, and outside of Hamels (who isn't going anywhere, either), they don't have a starter that is worth giving up JD.

The only scenario I see that makes sense is that Kenny is shopping JD in order to restock the farm system and give Swisher an everyday position to play.

wulfy
11-07-2008, 11:59 AM
If Victorino isn't involved, I don't see what the point is. We need a 2B, a CF and could use another starter. Their middle infielders aren't going anywhere, and outside of Hamels (who isn't going anywhere, either), they don't have a starter that is worth giving up JD.

The only scenario I see that makes sense is that Kenny is shopping JD in order to restock the farm system and give Swisher an everyday position to play.

Does Swisher have the arm to play RF? I don't think TCQ does ... correct me if I'm wrong.

whitesox901
11-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Whats Dyes contract? I've heard rumors here in Toledo that Magg's might go to Philly if they dont go with Burell because Detroit wants to dump that big contract Magglio has

soxfan21
11-07-2008, 12:01 PM
I still won't believe anything until the actual trade goes down. No one really expected Swish to come here last year, and we really don't know what Kenny has up his sleeves this offseason. We all know that something will be done, and I can't wait to see what Kenny pulls off this offseason, but if we do somehow get Rollins or Werth, I think that this would be pretty cool.

PorkChopExpress
11-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Does Swisher have the arm to play RF? I don't think TCQ does ... correct me if I'm wrong.

I thought TCQ's regular position was RF. And his arm looked plenty strong this year.

btrain929
11-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Whats Dyes contract? I've heard rumors here in Toledo that Magg's might go to Philly if they dont go with Burell because Detroit wants to dump that big contract Magglio has

11.5 mil in 2009, with a 12 mil mutual option for 2010.

whitesox901
11-07-2008, 12:09 PM
11.5 mil in 2009, with a 12 mil mutual option for 2010.

Thats less than Maggs, and IMO a better player. I could see JD being the Phills first choice in RF

btrain929
11-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Thats less than Maggs, and IMO a better player. I could see JD being the Phills first choice in RF

I think the only problem is the main focus for DET would be to shed salary, so they wouldn't expect a gigantic return. But I'm sure KW only trades Dye if he gets a nice return back. Unless Rollins is involved which I highly doubt, I don't see a fit. Unless KW spotted another few gems down on the farm in PHI like he did with Gavin...

Madscout
11-07-2008, 12:19 PM
I thought TCQ's regular position was RF. And his arm looked plenty strong this year.
I think yes. Anybody remember when he doubled up someone from LF on a pop fly against the Tigers last year. That arm would be fine in RF.

btrain929
11-07-2008, 12:20 PM
I think yes. Anybody remember when he doubled up someone from LF on a pop fly against the Tigers last year. That arm would be fine in RF.

That.was.awesome.

munchman33
11-07-2008, 12:22 PM

Both are better defensive options in RF than Dye.

Craig Grebeck
11-07-2008, 12:26 PM
Both are better defensive options in RF than Dye.
Agree. Quentin was disappointing in LF for much of the season, but I don't think it was a true indicator of his talent level.

That being said, I would imagine KW will holdout for Victorino. I want no part of Werth; I like his bat, but he's a guy who makes his living killing lefties and being mediocre against righties.

Jerome
11-07-2008, 12:28 PM
I'd give them Freddy for Gavin Floyd

btrain929
11-07-2008, 12:29 PM
Agree. Quentin was disappointing in LF for much of the season, but I don't think it was a true indicator of his talent level.

That being said, I would imagine KW will holdout for Victorino. I want no part of Werth; I like his bat, but he's a guy who makes his living killing lefties and being mediocre against righties.

Well then no trade will happen. The Phils won't fill a hole in LF just to create a new hole in CF, when they can just sign a new LF and keep Victorino.

Craig Grebeck
11-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Well then no trade will happen. The Phils won't fill a hole in LF just to create a new hole in CF, when they can just sign a new LF and keep Victorino.
Then it won't happen. We're not taking Greg Golson, that's ****ing stupid.

btrain929
11-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Then it won't happen. We're not taking Greg Golson, that's ****ing stupid.

Mmmmkay...... :shrug:

NLaloosh
11-07-2008, 12:36 PM
If it happens, I believe the Sox would get pitching back.

Craig Grebeck
11-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Mmmmkay...... :shrug:
The thing is, we don't need to trade Dye. If the Phillies don't want to give up the goods, then they can try to compete with Kevin Mench or whoever else they're targeting in LF. Too bad.

btrain929
11-07-2008, 12:42 PM
The thing is, we don't need to trade Dye. If the Phillies don't want to give up the goods, then they can try to compete with Kevin Mench or whoever else they're targeting in LF. Too bad.

I agree. I already said they aren't a good fit unless Rollins is coming back which I already said I highly doubt.

Take a chill pill.

NLaloosh
11-07-2008, 12:58 PM
The Sox are getting a couple of pitchers back. Didn't you hear we just got Carlos Beltran for vazquez and Jenks?

We're getting Joe Blanton and a reliever.

oeo
11-07-2008, 01:02 PM
Damn, is Kenny talking to all these teams at once?

I love the guy. Always looking at every possibility. And all the rumors make for some excitement around this time.

SoxNation05
11-07-2008, 01:06 PM
The Sox are getting a couple of pitchers back. Didn't you hear we just got Carlos Beltran for vazquez and Jenks?

We're getting Joe Blanton and a reliever.
Link? Source? anything?

btrain929
11-07-2008, 01:18 PM
Link? Source? anything?

Teal.....he was joking.

SoxNation05
11-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Teal.....he was joking.
I don't see teal tho? :scratch:

LoveYourSuit
11-07-2008, 01:22 PM

That was the only good throw he made all year.... after that, his arm and defense was very LF material.

btrain929
11-07-2008, 01:26 PM
I don't see teal tho? :scratch:

He's only 177 posts deep, so I'm just going to assume that was his attempt at humor.

SoxNation05
11-07-2008, 01:28 PM
He's only 177 posts deep, so I'm just going to assume that was his attempt at humor.
Well i knew the Beltran stuff was bull**** but I wanted to know where he heard Blanton.

Daver
11-07-2008, 02:01 PM

What does post count have to do with anything?

kittle42
11-07-2008, 02:03 PM
Link? Source? anything?

Funniest post of the day, and there are many to choose from.

11-07-2008, 02:10 PM

Maybe, due to lack of posting experience, he doesn't understand the teal concept.

:?:

btrain929
11-07-2008, 02:10 PM

Maybe, due to lack of posting experience, he doesn't understand the teal concept.

:?:

Thank you.

There is a chance that, since he's relatively new to posting, he doesn't know that teal is used to indicate when you're not being serious. So he could have typed that as a joke and not being serious, but since he didn't know teal (because he possibly doesn't know about it), another poster on here thinks a deal actually DID go down.

But you keep monitoring my every post, gramps, until bingo tonight. Happy Friday! :gulp:

kittle42
11-07-2008, 02:13 PM
Thank you.

There is a chance that, since he's relatively new to posting, he doesn't know that teal is used to indicate when you're not being serious. So he could have typed that as a joke and not being serious, but since he didn't know teal (because he possibly doesn't know about it), another poster on here thinks a deal actually DID go down.

But you keep monitoring my every post, gramps, until bingo tonight. Happy Friday! :gulp:

Yeah, but it was so obviously a joke, anyway, that it.....aw, **** it, never mind.

btrain929
11-07-2008, 02:15 PM
Yeah, but it was so obviously a joke, anyway, that it.....aw, **** it, never mind.

Well I thought so as well. But the guy who posted "link? source? anything?" I think, thought he was serious.

NLaloosh
11-07-2008, 02:17 PM
It's not that complicated. There was another thread on THIS SITE about the Sox pursuing Beltran. Therfore, I didn't feel teal was necessary. Not that I gave it a whole lot of thought.

BTW, I have used teal before. Do we all feel better now.

Oh, and I did make up Blanton myself. I doubt that any of the deals that are being discussed go down. But, I would think that we would want pitching from the Phils for Dye. That's where they have an excess.

btrain929
11-07-2008, 02:22 PM
It's not that complicated. There was another thread on THIS SITE about the Sox pursuing Beltran. Therfore, I didn't feel teal was necessary. Not that I gave it a whole lot of thought.

BTW, I have used teal before. Do we all feel better now.

Oh, and I did make up Blanton myself. I doubt that any of the deals that are being discussed go down. But, I would think that we would want pitching from the Phils for Dye. That's where they have an excess.

I hear ya. I knew you were joking, but someone else posted and acted like he believed you. So it was either he was overreacting to your obvious joke, or you didn't know what teal was. Either way, no big deal.

As far as pitching, the Phils might not have THAT much of an excess since Jamie Moyer is a FA. And, if for some dumb reason we really craved Blanton, I think we could land him w/o giving up Dye.

kittle42
11-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Well I thought so as well. But the guy who posted "link? source? anything?" I think, thought he was serious.

Yeah, that's why it was funny!

DVsoxfan
11-07-2008, 02:42 PM

I was at that game. Easily the best throw I've ever seen

turners56
11-07-2008, 02:58 PM

Where the hell do I sign the papers?

mcp5185
11-07-2008, 05:41 PM

I'm not saying we should do Dye for Werth straight up, but over the years our team has struggled against left-handed pitching. With Werth's ability to make a living of lefties, steal bases, and play CF he would be a decent fit.

Brian26
11-07-2008, 07:33 PM
I was at that game. Easily the best throw I've ever seen

Obviously you weren't at the black-out game to see Junior's two-hopper from about 70-ft behind second base to get fleet-footed Michael Cuddyer.

11-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Obviously you weren't at the black-out game to see Junior's two-hopper from about 70-ft behind second base to get fleet-footed Michael Cuddyer.

That.was.awesome.

turners56
11-07-2008, 08:12 PM
I'm not saying we should do Dye for Werth straight up, but over the years our team has struggled against left-handed pitching. With Werth's ability to make a living of lefties, steal bases, and play CF he would be a decent fit.

I'd much rather have Victorino, even if it's only a fantasy.

gr8mexico
11-07-2008, 08:31 PM
No way does Dye go to the Phillies unless the Phillies want to trade Jimmy Rollins and I cant see that happening.

BadBobbyJenks
11-07-2008, 08:33 PM
No way does Dye go to the Phillies unless the Phillies want to trade Jimmy Rollins and I cant see that happening.

Are you saying we should be holding out for a Jimmy Rollins type return on Jermaine Dye?

gr8mexico
11-07-2008, 08:56 PM
Are you saying we should be holding out for a Jimmy Rollins type return on Jermaine Dye?
No what I was trying to say was that the only thing the Sox would be interested in would be Jimmy Rollins and the Sox dont have what it takes to get Jimmy.

turners56
11-07-2008, 08:56 PM

I think some people forget that Dye is an aging corner outfielder with only one year left on his deal. Yes, he can still hit, but he's a bad fielder and did I mention that he's already 34? Although he's relatively cheap, his production probably won't hold up for that much longer. I'd be ecstatic with a return of Victorino. Rollins isn't even a discussion if it's Dye for Rollins straight up.

turners56
11-07-2008, 08:57 PM
No what I was trying to say was that the only thing the Sox would be interested in would be Jimmy Rollins and the Sox dont have what it takes to get Jimmy.

You don't think Victorino fits on this team?

Vernam
11-07-2008, 09:03 PM
The thing is, we don't need to trade Dye.I don't disagree, but unfortunately we do "need" to move at least one of the Dye/Konerko/Thome trio. Of the three, JD probably has the most trade value due to the cost of his remaining contract, his durability (not a word associated with Jermaine 'til we got him), and his ability to play a position other than 1B or DH.

Despite the big hits Konerko got as the season wound down, and despite Thome's having had a decent final two-thirds of the season, I just can't bear the thought of both those guys in the middle of our lineup again. I realize they're unlikely to be dealt because of their ages/contracts, and that makes it more likely Dye will be dealt -- the only one of the three I'd like to keep. I'd have preferred not to go into 2008 with Konerko and Thome. Another year older now . . .

So I suppose I'm saying, reluctantly, that dealing JD for pitching or a position player who can help right away (plus, hopefully a decent prospect) would be okay. But that's only because the guys I'd like to see go are untouchable for all the wrong reasons.

The only good thing about dealing Dye now, IMO, is that it would let us avoid being stuck with him in the last year of his deal, when he might only be able to DH.

Vernam

gr8mexico
11-07-2008, 10:50 PM
You don't think Victorino fits on this team?
Shane is good but not great. He has the same lifetime numbers as Coco Crisp and I'm sure Crisp would be easier to get.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/v/victosh01.shtml
http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/crispco01.shtml

Konerko05
11-08-2008, 02:53 AM
Shane is good but not great. He has the same lifetime numbers as Coco Crisp and I'm sure Crisp would be easier to get.

Maybe Crisp's two years with Cleveland (2004,2005) are comparable to Victorino. Over the last three years, Victorino has been much better.

I don't see the point in giving up anyone to get Crisp. I don't think he is much of an upgrade over Anderson. Crisp is not a legit top of the order hitter. I'd rather save up our trade bait and work on 2B, 3B.

I wouldn't mind having Victorino in CF. He could be solid in the #2 spot.

turners56
11-08-2008, 09:49 AM

Victorino is younger and is improving, unlike Crisp. There's the difference.

gr8mexico
11-08-2008, 10:41 AM
Victorino is younger and is improving, unlike Crisp. There's the difference.
Victorino is only 1 year younger thats not a huge difference. How can you say that Crisp couldn't improve. Coco doesn't get the chance to play full time in Boston and during his time in Boston Coco has had a couple of injuries that slowed him down in 2006 & 07. I just think Coco is about the same as Victorino and would cost less to get.

turners56
11-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Victorino is only 1 year younger thats not a huge difference. How can you say that Crisp couldn't improve. Coco doesn't get the chance to play full time in Boston and during his time in Boston Coco has had a couple of injuries that slowed him down in 2006 & 07. I just think Coco is about the same as Victorino and would cost less to get.

Even without injuries, he wasn't all that good last year. He's been playing in a hitter's park in Fenway for the last three years and his stats have decreased dramatically. Injuries or no injuries, I don't know if he's the same kind of player that was playing with Cleveland in 04 and 05. He's going to come much cheaper, but there's also a possibility that he won't produce as much, too.

DoItForDanPasqua
11-08-2008, 11:35 AM
Unless they are getting a great bargain, the Sox should not be trading unless it is to fill one of the following holes.

Second Base
Third Base
Center Field
Starting Pitcher
Middle Relief

That's a lot to fill, and KW has few guys to trade (on the roster in or in the minors) in order to fill those positions. I don't see the Phillies offering any players that fit the bill.

champagne030
11-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Even without injuries, he wasn't all that good last year. He's been playing in a hitter's park in Fenway for the last three years and his stats have decreased dramatically. Injuries or no injuries, I don't know if he's the same kind of player that was playing with Cleveland in 04 and 05. He's going to come much cheaper, but there's also a possibility that he won't produce as much, too.

I'm actually starting to think Covelli wouldn't be a bad player for us to target. This is, obviously, assuming that demands from the Sawx are not as crazy as the 2007 rumors of Buehrle.

As a FOBA, I think he can produce a .250'ish/.320 line with 18+ HR's and excellent defense ( for 2009) if he's told the job is his and gets 550+ AB's.

That said, I think the floor on Coco, considering our park, would be .270/.345 and above average defense.

I'd like to see KW keep BA as a 4th OF, unless he can be used to get a 'good' prospect or be the final piece to a larger deal and dump Wise and Owens. This would serve another purpose and that would be to keep Ozzie from playing defensively challenged players in CF and giving way too many AB's to players that have very limited offensive skills. Maybe keep Wise as a 5th OF, but not if he's going to be used as the next Timo. Perez sucked and was overused in 2005 and Wise's ceiling is Timo.

WhiteSoxFan84
11-08-2008, 12:02 PM
Jermaine Dye and Southpaw
for
Jimmy Rollins, Cole Hamels, and the Philly Fanatic

Yeh I said it. Southpaw's value = Hamels, Fanatic, and the difference between Rollins and Dye.

But everyone knows... KW will trade for Southpaw to return to us in a season or two :redneck

TheOldRoman
11-08-2008, 12:42 PM
Obviously you weren't at the black-out game to see Junior's two-hopper from about 70-ft behind second base to get fleet-footed Michael Cuddyer.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
I heard Jermaine Dye refused to sign on the sweet spot of a baseball. Discuss.

California Sox
11-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Unless they are getting a great bargain, the Sox should not be trading unless it is to fill one of the following holes.

Second Base
Third Base
Center Field
Starting Pitcher
Middle Relief

That's a lot to fill, and KW has few guys to trade (on the roster in or in the minors) in order to fill those positions. I don't see the Phillies offering any players that fit the bill.

How about Jason Donald?

oeo
11-08-2008, 01:05 PM

No, Epstein continues to overvalue him.

Chrisaway
11-08-2008, 02:35 PM
Jermaine Dye and Southpaw
for
Jimmy Rollins, Cole Hamels, and the Philly Fanatic

Yeh I said it. Southpaw's value = Hamels, Fanatic, and the difference between Rollins and Dye.

But everyone knows... KW will trade for Southpaw to return to us in a season or two :redneck
So you're saying that Southpaw is actually Gio Gonzalez?

WhiteSoxFan84
11-08-2008, 04:12 PM
So you're saying that Southpaw is actually Gio Gonzalez?

Yes.. or Carl Everett... or Roberto Alomar...

fozzy
11-09-2008, 03:32 AM
i'm not saying the sox should "re-build" but if the phillies offer a packaged based on jason donald and either (maybe both) lou marston or greg golson with a lower level prospect kenny has to at least listen. it could set us up for a huge run over the next 5 years.

the phillies are getting two high draft picks as compensation for burrell. the need a power hitting corner of badly. dye signed at 2 years for 23 million is a great deal. the have near major league ready talent at the positions we need. it's very possible

4 points
11-09-2008, 05:20 AM
I`m guessing the names are either Dobbs or Madsen.:gulp::gulp::gulp:

Craig Grebeck
11-09-2008, 09:12 AM
i'm not saying the sox should "re-build" but if the phillies offer a packaged based on jason donald and either (maybe both) lou marston or greg golson with a lower level prospect kenny has to at least listen. it could set us up for a huge run over the next 5 years.

the phillies are getting two high draft picks as compensation for burrell. the need a power hitting corner of badly. dye signed at 2 years for 23 million is a great deal. the have near major league ready talent at the positions we need. it's very possible
Greg Golson is seriously terrible. We'd be silly to even contemplate that.

I`m guessing the names are either Dobbs or Madsen.:gulp::gulp::gulp:
Probably not.

gr8mexico
11-09-2008, 09:26 AM
No, Epstein continues to overvalue him.
The rumor was that Theo was offering Coco Crisp for Khalil Green.
Juan Uribe is better then Khalil Green. So It shouldn't take much to get Coco
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/11/orioles-reds-ti.html

Craig Grebeck
11-09-2008, 09:29 AM
Swing and a miss!

oeo
11-09-2008, 10:00 AM

Yeah, this is exactly what I'm talking about.

What did you do, look up his 2008 stats and come to the conclusion that he's worse than Uribe? :?: Greene is also a very good defender, and one year ago hit 27 homeruns (he plays in PETCO, mind you) while driving in 97...all this on a terrible offensive club.

Craig Grebeck
11-09-2008, 11:04 AM
Yeah, this is exactly what I'm talking about.

What did you do, look up his 2008 stats and come to the conclusion that he's worse than Uribe? :?: Greene is also a very good defender, and one year ago hit 27 homeruns (he plays in PETCO, mind you) while driving in 97...all this on a terrible offensive club.
Career road line: .270/.318/.484/.802

Very bad OBP, but the slugging is great for a middle infielder. I don't know of anyone who would rather have Uribe.

PalehosePlanet
11-09-2008, 11:46 AM
Career road line: .270/.318/.484/.802

Very bad OBP, but the slugging is great for a middle infielder. I don't know of anyone who would rather have Uribe.

Absolutely correct. He is also an excellent defensive SS and a perfect buy-low candidate after coming off a career **** year. ( Much the same way as Swisher BTW.)

Just food for thought, but I know KW also tried to acquire Greene in mid '07 for JD --- IIRC. I wonder if he's still possibly interested? We could either move Alexei to 3B or keep him at 2B.

btrain929
11-09-2008, 06:23 PM

It was later stated on MLBTR that the article messed up, saying that both were available thru trade, but not a trade for each other. BOS has Lowrie and Lugo, so they'd have 0% interest in Greene.

soltrain21
11-09-2008, 06:45 PM
Absolutely correct. He is also an excellent defensive SS and a perfect buy-low candidate after coming off a career **** year. ( Much the same way as Swisher BTW.)

Just food for thought, but I know KW also tried to acquire Greene in mid '07 for JD --- IIRC. I wonder if he's still possibly interested? We could either move Alexei to 3B or keep him at 2B.

Why does everyone keep thinking this is an option?

btrain929
11-09-2008, 06:57 PM

Because playing 2B/SS is a lot harder and has more responsibilities than playing 3B. So the transition wouldn't be that hard.

That being said, I don't think it will ever happen unless we sign Furcal and trade for B.Roberts, which of course won't happen.

TheVulture
11-09-2008, 07:49 PM

Easy - because Alexei is the man.

Madscout
11-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Because playing 2B/SS is a lot harder and has more responsibilities than playing 3B. So the transition wouldn't be that hard.

That being said, I don't think it will ever happen unless we sign Furcal and trade for B.Roberts, which of course won't happen.

I disagree. It isn't easier either, just different. The ball gets on you one hell of a lot faster than 2b or SS. You have to have cat like reflexes along with less responsibilities.

btrain929
11-09-2008, 08:22 PM
I disagree. It isn't easier either, just different. The ball gets on you one hell of a lot faster than 2b or SS. You have to have cat like reflexes along with less responsibilities.

There have been plenty of players go from SS to 3B. I know there isn't nearly as many if any at all that have gone from 3B to SS.