PDA

View Full Version : Next Cubs owner won't be Mark Cuban

doublem23
11-07-2008, 10:18 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3687712

SOXPHILE
11-07-2008, 10:26 AM
That's really not a surprise. Like the article is saying, there's no way enough of the owners would approve of this assclown joining their fraternity. I've been telling this to some Cub fans who for some reason, were getting starry eyed over the possibility. Hopefully, maybe this will shut them up. Then again, with Cub fans, nonsense like truth, logic and reality don't get in the way.

thomas35forever
11-07-2008, 10:48 AM
I've heard that if Cuban became owner, then he would've let Hendry spend money on whoever the hell he wanted. Not that they don't already, but Hendry may have had more freedom.

doublem23
11-07-2008, 10:54 AM
I've heard that if Cuban became owner, then he would've let Hendry spend money on whoever the hell he wanted. Not that they don't already, but Hendry may have had more freedom.

How much more could he unleash Hendry? They let that guy sign checks with a stamp.

kittle42
11-07-2008, 11:09 AM
Thank goodness. That would've made the Cubs even more unbearable.

Hitmen77
11-07-2008, 11:30 AM
The Tribune may retain 50% of the Cubs?

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2008/11/report-tribune-may-retain-half-of-cubs.html

ChiSoxFan81
11-07-2008, 11:41 AM
Yeah, no way the owners would approve him. Thank goodness. We don't need a frickin wannabe bleacher bum running the Scrubs. The media focus on them would be even bigger, even though we didn't think it was possible.

Lip Man 1
11-07-2008, 12:37 PM
No real surprise. It had been rumored for months that Bud was dead set against it.

Lip

veeter
11-07-2008, 01:18 PM
I can hear them now, "We would have won a world series if MLB would have let Cuban buy the cubs. Selig hates the cubs."

cub killer
11-07-2008, 11:47 PM
I can hear them now, "We would have won a world series if MLB would have let Cuban buy the cubs. Selig hates the cubs."

Good post. Those pipedream idiots kept saying after they got swept "don't worry, Cuban will buy the team and then we'll win it all." No matter what happens, they always look to nonsense to explain their team's misfortunes. scrub fans know nothing about baseball.

LongLiveFisk
11-08-2008, 12:36 AM
No real surprise. It had been rumored for months that Bud was dead set against it.

Lip

That's what I kept hearing too, and I tried telling my Cub fan brother but he was too starry-eyed and in love with the idea of Cuban owning them. I'm really glad he's not coming here. Worry about the Mavericks.

tstrike2000
11-08-2008, 09:56 AM
Thank God. He can do whatever he wants with the Mavericks, as long as he's not around baseball except to watch.

4 points
11-09-2008, 06:36 AM
He won`t get then Cubs because the Sox always get the Cubans, Alexi, Jose, now maybe the young 3rd baseman.:bandance::bandance::bandance:

jamokes
11-09-2008, 09:56 AM
Cub fans live on excuses............they are all losers!:gulp:

chaerulez
11-09-2008, 11:26 AM
I'm pretty sure the Cuban spending thing is a myth. How are Cubs fans so certain Cuban would open up the checkbook if he had the Cubs? I don't think he instantly makes them a $200 million payroll team for the hell of it. Also Mark Cuban has won exactly zero titles with the Mavs. Part of it is the NBA refs not knowing how to correctly ref the NBA Finals and a part was his team choking. Regardless it's not like Cuban instantly means championships. He also has allowed some questionable moves with the Mavs like giving Erick Dampier a big contract.

slavko
11-09-2008, 11:35 AM
Contradicted in 11/8 papers. Still could happen. Economy could kill any deal, for a while.

DumpJerry
11-09-2008, 01:06 PM
Not a surprise. Keep in mind two things:

1. Reinsdorf is one of the most powerful owners in the politics of MLB.
2. Reinsdorf is the only NBA owner who voted against Cuban's purchase of the Mavs.

slavko
11-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Not a surprise. Keep in mind two things:

1. Reinsdorf is one of the most powerful owners in the politics of MLB.
2. Reinsdorf is the only NBA owner who voted against Cuban's purchase of the Mavs.

As you say above, he had one vote in the NBA, he has one vote in MLB.

Lip Man 1
11-09-2008, 08:50 PM
And his influence and Bud's spreads well beyond, one man...one vote.

Stick a fork in Cuban. He is done.

Even Phil Rogers on Chicago Tribune live said Cuban has a better chance of getting MLB approval if he'd take over a garbage team like the Pirates, then the Cubs. Rogers said Selig wants Chicago based ownership for a Chicago franchise.

Lip

slavko
11-09-2008, 09:01 PM
And his influence and Bud's spreads well beyond, one man...one vote.

Stick a fork in Cuban. He is done.

Even Phil Rogers on Chicago Tribune live said Cuban has a better chance of getting MLB approval if he'd take over a garbage team like the Pirates, then the Cubs. Rogers said Selig wants Chicago based ownership for a Chicago franchise.

Lip

But he doesn't have similar influence in the NBA? And he and David Stern don't form a bloc of similar interests? Not logical. I do admit, an evil cabal in MLB is possible, though.

Lip Man 1
11-09-2008, 09:31 PM
Slavko:

No JR doesn't in the NBA. David Stern, by his very nature does not get close to any owner. Never has. He actually runs the owners in the NBA...not the other way around like in MLB, where the commissioner does what he's told.

JR has had a large amount of influence in MLB for a number of years. He was one of the driving forces that ousted Fay Vincent and brought about the labor impasse in 1994 for example. May I suggest reading the Lords of the Realm by John Helyar.

Lip

Daver
11-09-2008, 09:43 PM
But he doesn't have similar influence in the NBA? And he and David Stern don't form a bloc of similar interests? Not logical. I do admit, an evil cabal in MLB is possible, though.

The NBA has an autonomous commisioner, as does every other major sport that is not MLB.

Nellie_Fox
11-10-2008, 01:43 AM
He won`t get then Cubs because the Sox always get the Cubans, Alexi, Jose, now maybe the young 3rd baseman.What is it going to take for people to learn his name?

4 points
11-10-2008, 05:33 AM
What is it going to take for people to learn his name?

A fifth of Dewars, with a Dominican CEEEEEgar on the side.:bandance::bandance::bandance:

HomeFish
11-17-2008, 12:26 PM
Mark Cuban has been charged with insider trading by the SEC. This probably further decreases his chances.

voodoochile
11-17-2008, 12:58 PM
Mark Cuban has been charged with insider trading by the SEC. This probably further decreases his chances.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=107680