PDA

View Full Version : MLB GMs to Consider Eliminating Coin Flips

SoxandtheCityTee
11-07-2008, 07:44 AM
MLB staff are preparing a proposal for consideration at the GM meetings next month to change the way a tie for the division championship or wild card would be resolved: the way of determining the location of the tiebreaker game would be head-to-head record, divisional record, etc.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081106&content_id=3668577&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Do the whiny Twinkies really have this much power?

What if the two tied teams played each other 19 times and split 10-9 with each team winning all of its home games? How is it fair to give the team that already had the advantage of more home games the additional advantage of hosting the tiebreaker?

Wild card rivals that are not in the same division could have an even bigger discrepancy in home games. You play a team six or seven times in their house and only three times in yours during the season -- an even bigger advantage if they play in a dome -- and then your head-to-head record with them gives them the tiebreaker as well? What the hell?

And will MLB scheduling assure that the location of the final series each season between divisional rivals alternates year to year, so that the advantage of having the last home stand is evenly divided?

A proposal doesn't mean it will happen, but I'm surprised even to see this.

doublem23
11-07-2008, 08:13 AM
What if the two tied teams played each other 19 times and split 10-9 with each team winning all of its home games? How is it fair to give the team that already had the advantage of more home games the additional advantage of hosting the tiebreaker?

I agree, as long as baseball pushes this crappy "unbalanced" schedule down everyone's throats, then this "play it on the field" BS is just as arbitrary as a coin-flip.

hellview
11-07-2008, 08:40 AM

Well if for example in 2007 the Sox and Twins play 10 times in Chicago and 9 times in Minnesota. Then in 2008 they play 10 times in Minnesota and 9 times in Chicago and it rotates like that everyseason.

Head to head matches should mean something, deciding a division game over a coin flip is pretty stupid.

HomeFish
11-07-2008, 09:07 AM
Whatever. Nothing they do can get rid of the 2008 AL Central Champions t-shirt hanging in my closet.

doublem23
11-07-2008, 09:38 AM
Well if for example in 2007 the Sox and Twins play 10 times in Chicago and 9 times in Minnesota. Then in 2008 they play 10 times in Minnesota and 9 times in Chicago and it rotates like that everyseason.

Head to head matches should mean something, deciding a division game over a coin flip is pretty stupid.

Head-to-head matches do mean something, they represent a 2-game swing against your opponent in the standings. A coin flip is no more stupid than deciding things based on an unbalanced, unfair schedule.

For example, the Twins had ample opprotunities to avoid the 163rd game last season... Perhaps if they could have beaten the Kansas City Royals more than once in their last three games they could have played in October. Blaming it on a coin flip? Lame.

BNLSox
11-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Whatever. Nothing they do can get rid of the 2008 AL Central Champions t-shirt hanging in my closet.

They could have beaten the Royals 2 out of 3 at home rather than lying down after sweeping us. Man I hate those crybabies.

sox1970
11-07-2008, 09:54 AM
They could have beaten the Royals 2 out of 3 at home rather than lying down after sweeping us. Man I hate those crybabies.

If the Sox would have won 10-8 and had to go to Minnesota for the tiebreaker and lost, this place would have been bitching up a storm. The bottom line is we were fortunate to win the coin flip, and there's nothing wrong with changing the rule to the team with the better head-to-head. The chance that the Sox tie for a playoff spot again anytime soon is remote, so who gives a **** if they change the rule?

ChiSoxFan81
11-07-2008, 10:32 AM
I don't know. With the unbalanced schedule, I think a coin flip is fair. Either team could have won one more game and not had to leave it to chance. Just because the last 2 years the home team won (the Padres did blow a 2-run lead in extras though), now it's a problem. One team already has an advantage of 1 more home game during the season for head-to-head, so just like if the series finishes 10-9, the one team could have that advantage thanks to an extra home game. For wild card matchups, what if the head-to-head was split? You can't use division record because of unbalanced schedule, and league record doesn't make sense either because interleague matchups are different. Hell, if the NFL can determine possession in sudden-death overtime on a coin flip, this is no big deal.

hellview
11-07-2008, 10:59 AM
For example, the Twins had ample opprotunities to avoid the 163rd game last season... Perhaps if they could have beaten the Kansas City Royals more than once in their last three games they could have played in October. Blaming it on a coin flip? Lame.

What the **** are you talking about, I didn't blame anything on a coinflip. I think whoever wins the head to head should get the tiebreaker game at home.

I mean homefield is dicided by who wins a stupid exhibition game in July, why should a tie breaker not be dicided by the head to head.

kittle42
11-07-2008, 11:13 AM
What the **** are you talking about, I didn't blame anything on a coinflip. I think whoever wins the head to head should get the tiebreaker game at home.

I mean homefield is dicided by who wins a stupid exhibition game in July, why should a tie breaker not be dicided by the head to head.

It's decided, and I think double was referring to the Twins, not you.

DumpJerry
11-07-2008, 11:14 AM
I say a death match in the Octagon of Pain is the way to decide.

Madscout
11-07-2008, 12:24 PM
I say a death match in the Octagon of Pain is the way to decide.
Awesome

oeo
11-07-2008, 03:29 PM
Honestly, why did this suddenly become a big issue now? Does everyone feel that sorry for the Twins? :whiner:

Foulke You
11-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Honestly, why did this suddenly become a big issue now? Does everyone feel that sorry for the Twins? :whiner:
I think it is because the Twins whined more than any other team about this issue and got them to talk about it. Player rep Joe Nathan still wouldn't even let it go after the season was over. Somehow, I think if the tiebreaker game was played at the Metrodome, they wouldn't have an issue with the coin flip at all and we wouldn't even be having this thread.

hellview
11-07-2008, 03:47 PM
I think it is because the Twins whined more than any other team about this issue and got them to talk about it. Player rep Joe Nathan still wouldn't even let it go after the season was over. Somehow, I think if the tiebreaker game was played at the Metrodome, they wouldn't have an issue with the coin flip at all and we wouldn't even be having this thread.

Cause we all know how MLB goes out of it's way to help small market teams like the Twins...

Madscout
11-07-2008, 03:53 PM
Cause we all know how MLB goes out of it's way to help small market teams like the Twins...
The squeky wheel gets the greese.

turners56
11-07-2008, 05:17 PM
I wonder if Timberwolf will still call us the "Whiney Sux" after this whole episode. After all, her hero Joe Nathan was the biggest whiner of all. It's not the Twins' fault that they lost the game. It was a coin's fault...

KRS1
11-07-2008, 07:13 PM
I know everyone hates these two words, but a neutral site game is the only way no one throws a fit over how things go down. Give the game to a city who's team didn't make the playoffs, who also show good attendance. Then they can play freeze tag to decide who bats in the bottom of each inning. :redneck

RKMeibalane
11-07-2008, 07:23 PM
I wonder if Timberwolf will still call us the "Whiney Sux" after this whole episode. After all, her hero Joe Nathan was the biggest whiner of all. It's not the Twins' fault that they lost the game. It was a coin's fault...

Timberwolf is an "it."

RedPinStripes
11-07-2008, 11:33 PM
It's decided, and I think double was referring to the Twins, not you.

Hate when that happens. :redneck

Frankfan4life
11-10-2008, 02:40 PM
I know everyone hates these two words, but a neutral site game is the only way no one throws a fit over how things go down. Give the game to a city who's team didn't make the playoffs, who also show good attendance. Then they can play freeze tag to decide who bats in the bottom of each inning. :redneckSo, you're suggesting that in order to see this game fans of both teams either take a plane, train or automobile at considerable cost and inconvenience to go to see a one-game playoff on a day or two's notice??? :rolleyes: Uh, no!!!