PDA

View Full Version : John Shelby

JermaineDye05
11-06-2008, 05:23 PM
What's the story on this guy?

He had a pretty solid season in WS hitting .295 with 15 HR's and 80 RBI while stealing 33 bases.

What does he project as in the next couple of years? a 4th OF? or perhaps a decent starter?

Would he be possible trade bait that some other teams may have interest in?

I noticed he was a 2B and then got moved to the outfield or at least that's what it said on mlb.com. Any reasons for that?

jcw218
11-06-2008, 05:40 PM
What's the story on this guy?

He had a pretty solid season in WS hitting .295 with 15 HR's and 80 RBI while stealing 33 bases.

What does he project as in the next couple of years? a 4th OF? or perhaps a decent starter?

Would he be possible trade bait that some other teams may have interest in?

I noticed he was a 2B and then got moved to the outfield or at least that's what it said on mlb.com. Any reasons for that?

I believe that there may have been questions about his defense and that is why he was moved to the outfield.

Lip Man 1
11-06-2008, 06:06 PM
I saw him with Roland at Great Falls in 2006. This kid has real athletic ability and I think he can make an impact with the big league team very shortly, probably as an outfielder.

He has speed, can go from first to third on a single and has some power (not enough to qualify as 'all or nothing' though..thank God!)

If the Sox keep him I think he can contribute in 2010.

Lip

Craig Grebeck
11-06-2008, 06:10 PM
He doesn't project to be much, at this point. He's got some tools, obviously, but has absolutely no understanding of the strike zone.

Daver
11-06-2008, 06:26 PM
He doesn't project to be much, at this point. He's got some tools, obviously, but has absolutely no understanding of the strike zone.

So he is similar to Josh Fields?

Craig Grebeck
11-06-2008, 06:49 PM
So he is similar to Josh Fields?
I guess. He strikes out less, and hits for a higher average, but doesn't walk at all. That isn't too big of a problem in the minors, as long as you aren't striking out too much -- which he is. As a 23 year old in A+, he wasn't very impressive.

fozzy
11-09-2008, 03:11 AM
don't be so quick to judge him. he is a young 23... his birthday is in august (i think). he would have been brought up to AA the same time as allen if the sox's didn't keep shuffle him between 2nd and center. they settle on center (which is not his natural postion) so they left him in WS to work on his d. he has the potential but does need to work on the strike zone. it'll be interesting to see what he does in AA next year.

soxinem1
11-10-2008, 12:37 PM

Sounds and lookos like a mirror image of his Dad!!