PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's White Sox winter forecast

wilburaga
11-06-2008, 01:47 PM
ESPN's White Sox winter forecast.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?page=winterforecast/081106/whitesox

I guess word hasn't reached Bristol that Orlando Cabrera is a free agent. That ruins this guy's article. Plus, he's awfully non-critical of Fields, who represents IMHO the biggest potential hole on the team as it currently stands.

W

Konerko05
11-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Wow, that guy sure put a lot of effort into that article.

soxfan43
11-06-2008, 01:57 PM
Just saw that. It amazes me how often guys like this mess up similar things. I know they have to "cover" all the teams, but come on.

btrain929
11-06-2008, 02:03 PM
This is pretty much what happened:

"Hey rookie, throw together a piece for the Sox..."

"THE RED SOX???!!!! :bandance:"

"No, the White Sox."

"Oh........alright......:(:."

Aaaaaaaand 6 mins later, assignment complete.

Fin.

cleanwsox
11-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Jim Thome would like his 2005 championship ring please.

thomas35forever
11-06-2008, 02:05 PM
Dull article. I can write a better one than that.

btrain929
11-06-2008, 02:13 PM
Jim Thome would like his 2005 championship ring please.

Hahaha WOW, I missed that one. GOD this guy is a tool.

Thome25
11-06-2008, 02:16 PM
Dull article. I can write a better one than that.

Why don't you use that guy's template and write an evaluation of your own? I think it'd be interesting to read. Make a new thread out of it.:D:

hi im skot
11-06-2008, 02:20 PM
What a joke.

ChiSoxFan81
11-06-2008, 02:23 PM
This guy did all the AL Central teams too. I would look at his other articles, but can't bring myself to do it. Wonder if they are as factually incorrect as this one. Seriously, he had Thome on the '05 team and doesn't even list Cabrera as a FA. He also has our top 4 rotation spots "etched in stone" - not so sure about that with Javy. Also, he acts like Fields is a shoe-in at 3B.

Bad, bad, bad, bad.

Someone should email him and let him know.

btrain929
11-06-2008, 02:33 PM
This guy did all the AL Central teams too. I would look at his other articles, but can't bring myself to do it. Wonder if they are as factually incorrect as this one.

The Twins overview has them as a strong contender for 1st place in the division in '09 behind Santana and Hunter.

hi im skot
11-06-2008, 02:41 PM
The Twins overview has them as a strong contender for 1st place in the division in '09 behind Santana and Hunter.

:lol:

ChiSoxFan81
11-06-2008, 02:50 PM

But they'll have a hard time replacing Kent Hrbek.

Sell Jerry Sell!
11-06-2008, 03:00 PM
I actually emailed that tool and told him that the Sox might be in for a pretty big overhaul considering the rumors flying around (I don't believe half of them). He replied back saying that he had to write that article 3 weeks ago and didn't know that the Sox were going to part ways with Cabrera. That by itself proves how much he "researched" for his piece.

btrain929
11-06-2008, 03:03 PM
I actually emailed that tool and told him that the Sox might be in for a pretty big overhaul considering the rumors flying around (I don't believe half of them). He replied back saying that he had to write that article 3 weeks ago and didn't know that the Sox were going to part ways with Cabrera. That by itself proves how much he "researched" for his piece.

It was pretty obviously mid-season, and definitely obvious in September, that Cabrera wasn't going to be back.

Plus, even if he didn't know if Cabrera would be resigned, he had to of known Cabrera was a free agent. That's been known all year.

VenturaFan23
11-06-2008, 03:06 PM
This is pretty much what happened:

"Hey rookie, throw together a piece for the Sox..."

"THE RED SOX???!!!! :bandance:"

"No, the White Sox."

"Oh........alright......:(:."

Aaaaaaaand 6 mins later, assignment complete.

Fin.

Well played.

They must've updated it because I don't see Thome as being a part of the '05 team. Too bad I missed that one.

ChiSoxFan81
11-06-2008, 03:08 PM
Well played.

They must've updated it because I don't see Thome as being a part of the '05 team. Too bad I missed that one.

It's the 3rd and 4th words of the article. It's still there. How'd you miss it?

GAsoxfan
11-06-2008, 03:10 PM
It's the 3rd and 4th words of the article. It's still there. How'd you miss it?

They updated it. Check out his message in the comments section.

esbrechtel
11-06-2008, 03:29 PM
Thats funny that he fixed it and his response in the comments section is hilarious. "I turned it in a long time ago...." what a joke...

chisoxfanatic
11-06-2008, 05:00 PM
If he wrote that article 3 weeks ago, he STILL shouldn't have said the Sox finished tied for first in the division. Doesn't he remember a certain tie-breaking game with the Twins? Duh!

Lip Man 1
11-06-2008, 06:59 PM
I emailed him to let him know that MLB considers anything that takes place in a tie breaker playoff game as a REGULAR SEASON STAT. Therefore the Sox won 89 games and the division, not 88 and tied for it.

Update: He e-mailed back and said that "I don't do those little info boxes, my editors handle that."

Jonah...then your editors are idiots but what do you expect from the Eastern Sports Programming Network. "If it happens west of the Allegheny mountains, we don't care..."

Lip

tacosalbarojas
11-06-2008, 10:50 PM
These guys are stealing money...not to mention some pretty awesome jobs. Nice find, wilbur!

Lip Man 1
11-07-2008, 12:01 AM
I actually sent him the link to this thread and suggested he pass it along to his editors.

He thanked me for the "constructive criticism..." (me thinks he was being sarcastic.)

I've been in the business 30 years now and ESPN today isn't even a pimple on it's original behind, that's how badly it's gone downhill.

Lip