PDA

View Full Version : New Yankee Stadium will cost $ 1.7 BILLION

Fenway
11-06-2008, 12:36 PM
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2008/11/05/329_nyy__1225922434_7566.jpg

The Yankees project expected to be more than $1.7 billion, making it the most expensive ballpark in the country (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/05/nyregion/05stadiums.html?_r=1&scp=4&sq=yankee%20stadium&st=cse&oref=slogin) :o:

but NYY will have LOTS of $$$$ this winter to spend

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/massarotti/2008/11/the_empire_strikes_back.html

thomas35forever
11-06-2008, 12:40 PM
:thud:

Also, is it just me or does the new Yankee Stadium look like a carbon-copy of the old one?

Mr.1Dog
11-06-2008, 12:55 PM

Also, is it just me or does the new Yankee Stadium look like a carbon-copy of the old one?

Wasn't that the point? To make it look as much like the old stadium as possible and giving it nicer amenities? It looks nice to me. I am more excited to see how Citi Field is going to turn out.

Foulke You
11-06-2008, 12:58 PM
What is it about this new Yankee Stadium that makes it cost about a 1.2 billion dollars more than most of the other new ballparks. Are the seats going to be gold plated or something? Safeco came in over budget at something like $600 million, Miller Park was $400 million and those two stadiums have retractable roofs! I realize those two parks are over 5 years old now but c'mon, inflation hasn't gotten THAT bad yet.

ChiSoxFan81
11-06-2008, 01:54 PM
What is it about this new Yankee Stadium that makes it cost about a 1.2 billion dollars more than most of the other new ballparks. Are the seats going to be gold plated or something? Safeco came in over budget at something like $600 million, Miller Park was $400 million and those two stadiums have retractable roofs! I realize those two parks are over 5 years old now but c'mon, inflation hasn't gotten THAT bad yet.

Because the taxpayers are on the hook. You know, the same reason a hammer costs $50 when the government buys it.

palehozenychicty
11-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Because the taxpayers are on the hook. You know, the same reason a hammer costs $50 when the government buys it.

Thank you. It's unbelieveable how this whole pact went down. Not only is the city footing the bill for both Citi Field and the Stadium, but the Yankees had the nerve to file formore funding and steamroll the only park for children in the entire neighborhood. If you couldn't loathe the Yankees any more...:angry:

Luke
11-06-2008, 03:44 PM

It's not just inflation, it's compounded by a few things.

Skilled labor is much, much more expensive in NYC.

Material prices have soared since those two parks were built. On a per ton basis, structural steel is probably close to 3 times more expensive as it was when those parks were built. This doesn't just affect structural steel, it also affects the price of all the rebar in the concrete.

Oil is much more expensive. Every generator, every crane, every truck that arrives on site is more expensive.

Edit: I left off the soaring cost of health insurance, which is is built into the hourly rate of skilled workers. Health and welfare cost are rising every year more quickly than inflation.

ode to veeck
11-06-2008, 05:23 PM
It's not just inflation, it's compounded by a few things.

Skilled labor is much, much more expensive in NYC.

Material prices have soared since those two parks were built. On a per ton basis, structural steel is probably close to 3 times more expensive as it was when those parks were built. This doesn't just affect structural steel, it also affects the price of all the rebar in the concrete.

Oil is much more expensive. Every generator, every crane, every truck that arrives on site is more expensive.

Edit: I left off the soaring cost of health insurance, which is is built into the hourly rate of skilled workers. Health and welfare cost are rising every year more quickly than inflation.

price of steel has been dropping like a rock the last couple of months

turners56
11-06-2008, 06:41 PM

It also sort of looks like the Cell.

DSpivack
11-06-2008, 08:00 PM
It also sort of looks like the Cell.

Well, before renovations, the original Comiskey II was supposed to look like Old Yankee Stadium.

chisoxfanatic
11-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Well, before renovations, the original Comiskey II was supposed to look like Old Yankee Stadium.
It did bear striking resemblance, yes. That's why it was so easy for them to use our ballpark as Yankee Stadium in the movie Little Big League.

RedPinStripes
11-06-2008, 09:42 PM
It did bear striking resemblance, yes. That's why it was so easy for them to use our ballpark as Yankee Stadium in the movie Little Big League.

:chunks

Luke
11-07-2008, 08:39 AM
price of steel has been dropping like a rock the last couple of months

Sure has. most of the price increase was driven by the cost of scrap steel, which was in turn driven by global demand, primarily in China. Structural steel dropped $200 a ton on weakened demand the other weekend.

Concrete prices have fallen too, as there's less money for infrastructure projects, and therefore more material on hand. Too late to help the price of Yankee Stadium.

Hitmen77
11-07-2008, 10:16 AM
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2008/11/05/329_nyy__1225922434_7566.jpg

The Yankees project expected to be more than $1.7 billion, making it the most expensive ballpark in the country (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/05/nyregion/05stadiums.html?_r=1&scp=4&sq=yankee%20stadium&st=cse&oref=slogin) :o:

but NYY will have LOTS of $$$$ this winter to spend

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/massarotti/2008/11/the_empire_strikes_back.html

Wow! It's not like the $0.7 billion amount over a $1 billion price tag is chump change. Even 1/2 that total sounds like a very expensive stadium.

By the way, nice pictures in the Times article of the new Yankees and Mets parks. I'm surprised at how rounded and symmetrical (bowl-like?) the new Yankee Stadium looks. Is that how the original Yankee Stadium looked? I'm not talking about the 1970s gutted/rebuilt Yankee Stadium, but the actual pre-1973 park.

I'm not familiar with NYC or the Bronx....was there any possibility of having the new park face the NY skyline? From the picture in the Times article, the park doesn't face the skyline and that is something people have ripped about the Cell.

doublem23
11-07-2008, 11:48 AM
I'm not familiar with NYC or the Bronx....was there any possibility of having the new park face the NY skyline? From the picture in the Times article, the park doesn't face the skyline and that is something people have ripped about the Cell.

The Bronx isn't that close to downtown Manhattan. If there was a skyline view, it wouldn't be much. Nothing like what the Pirates or Tigers have their parks.

Lundind1
11-09-2008, 01:26 PM
I know that this might come out just slightly political but when is it going to be too much? I mean 1.7 billion? I know that I have been following the project pretty closely but that is just too much money for most businesses to spend. I guess it is just shocking to hear how much they are blowing on the baseball palace of the world.

cub killer
11-09-2008, 03:34 PM

Put me #1 on the list of people who feel Jerry dropped the ball for not having New Comiskey face downtown. Each time I walk out of Sox Park and see our magnificent skyline, I think to myself on how awesome it would have been if that view was the backdrop of our outfielders. Damn Jerry, he missed a golden opportunity. During the renovations, I feel he shoulda knocked away a section of the upper deck on the 3rd base line right by home plate, instead of lopping off the highest rows. That would have created a slot in the upper deck where a view of the Sears Tower would be poking through. How can you ignore the world's most picturesque skyline?

Jerry's lucky we won the World Series, because the "ballmall" was causing the Sox to lose alot of fans.

skobabe8
11-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Put me #1 on the list of people who feel Jerry dropped the ball for not having New Comiskey face downtown. Each time I walk out of Sox Park and see our magnificent skyline, I think to myself on how awesome it would have been if that view was the backdrop of our outfielders. Damn Jerry, he missed a golden opportunity. During the renovations, I feel he shoulda knocked away a section of the upper deck on the 1st base line right by home plate, instead of lopping off the highest rows. That would have created a slot in the upper deck where a view of the Sears Tower would be poking through. How can you ignore the world's most picturesque skyline?

Jerry's lucky we won the World Series, because the "ballmall" was causing the Sox to lose alot of fans.

That would have provided a spectacular view of the parking lot and Bridgeport.

hi im skot
11-09-2008, 05:53 PM
During the renovations, I feel he shoulda knocked away a section of the upper deck on the 1st base line right by home plate, instead of lopping off the highest rows.

Yeah, seriously.

Plus, I can't imagine such a concept even remotely making sense...

:?:

cub killer
11-10-2008, 06:57 PM

When I'm in the upper deck on the 1st base side, I can see the Sears Tower antennae sticking out above the 3rd base side roof. So a gap in the UD right there would expose the USA's tallest building. St. Louis and Philly's parks have gaps in their UDs, probably just for aesthetic purposes.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. The renovations are done and Comiskey still kicks ass, so it's all good.

Fenway
11-10-2008, 09:04 PM
It easily is now the most expensive stadium ever built exceeding Stade Olympique in Montreal that cost over a billion (CAD).

One nice feature will be that finally they have built a Metro-North stop to make it easier for fans from Westchester and Connecticut to use public transit.
The tracks have always been there but never a stop.

The revenue this park will generate is staggering. The 300 scout seats alone will bring in SIXTY MILLION a year. ( $2500 per game times 81 ) These seats now have a waiting list.

Luke
11-10-2008, 10:01 PM
When I'm in the upper deck on the 3rd base side, I can see the Sears Tower antennae sticking out above the 1st base side roof. So a gap in the UD right there would expose the USA's tallest building. St. Louis and Philly's parks have gaps in their UDs, probably just for aesthetic purposes.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. The renovations are done and Comiskey still kicks ass, so it's all good.

You're turned around. When you're sitting on the third base side, the Sears Tower is behind you and to the left.

skobabe8
11-10-2008, 11:26 PM
When I'm in the upper deck on the 1st base side, I can see the Sears Tower antennae sticking out above the 3rd base side roof. So a gap in the UD right there would expose the USA's tallest building.

I think that's what you meant.

nsdjoe
11-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Oh well, Comiskey Park III can be built where the old park was and have skyline views :)

Law11
11-12-2008, 03:17 PM
Looks like they'll have a cool scoreboard.

cub killer
11-12-2008, 09:55 PM
I think that's what you meant.

Thanx. Just went back and edited that.