2nd - dustin pedroia - red sox
3rd - adrian beltre - mariners
ss - michael young - rangers
of - torii hunter - angels
of - grady sizemore - indians
of - ichiro suzuki - mariners

esbrechtel
11-06-2008, 12:03 PM
Pena is an interesting choice, I haven't checked the stats but that one really surprises me. Also, I didn't think that Torii had that good of a year defensively...

This award has become such a joke, I used to look forward to it but now its just as silly as the fan vote for the all star game.

jabrch
11-06-2008, 12:08 PM
Pena is an interesting choice, I haven't checked the stats but that one really surprises me. Also, I didn't think that Torii had that good of a year defensively...

This award has become such a joke, I used to look forward to it but now its just as silly as the fan vote for the all star game.

Defensive stats are garbage. Always have been.

chisox616
11-06-2008, 12:13 PM
I was under the impression that Michael Young had a bad year...?

spiffie
11-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Defensive stats are garbage. Always have been.
Exactly. That's why of all the postseason awards Gold Gloves are probably the most meaningful. No one is looking at some goofy stat. They're trusting their eyes and their experienced judgments to make a baseball assessment. The way it SHOULD BE!

Eddo144
11-06-2008, 12:17 PM

Pena has a reputation as being an excellent defensive first baseman. I can't say if it's deserved, but it does exist.

Hunter is getting by on only reputation right now. He was overpaid because of his overrated defense, though he actually had an above-average year at the plate for himself.

BadBobbyJenks
11-06-2008, 02:13 PM

Eh, shortstop in the AL has gone so far downhill, who would you give it to?

I thought that was a pretty good list.

hellview
11-06-2008, 02:21 PM

Damn what happened to SS in the AL, all the good SS are all in the NL East now.

I would have given it to Barlett on TB, but he doesn't hit well enough to win a gold glove.

ChiSoxFan81
11-06-2008, 02:28 PM
Hunter is getting by on only reputation right now. He was overpaid because of his overrated defense, though he actually had an above-average year at the plate for himself.

He had a 1.000 fielding percentage.

FedEx227
11-06-2008, 02:34 PM

So would I if I caught the first popup to me on opening day then proceeded to never move the rest of the year.

Eddo144
11-06-2008, 02:55 PM
You could misjudge every fly ball hit to you, but as long as you don't touch any, you won't make any errors. Fielding percentage is just about the crappiest metric out there.

Madscout
11-06-2008, 03:08 PM
Exactly. That's why of all the postseason awards Gold Glove's are probably the most meaningful. No one is looking at some goofy stat. They're trusting their eyes and their experienced judgments to make a baseball assessment. The way it SHOULD BE!
I understand and agree with the point your advocating, however, in practice, we all know batting average is a huge factor in gold gloves. If you don't hit over .250, you're not going to win one. The gold glove picks have been a joke for a few years now.

oeo
11-06-2008, 03:51 PM
Michael Young...seriously?

oeo
11-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Exactly. That's why of all the postseason awards Gold Glove's are probably the most meaningful. No one is looking at some goofy stat. They're trusting their eyes and their experienced judgments to make a baseball assessment. The way it SHOULD BE!

That would be the case if you got to see the guys everyday, but they don't. And thus they use statistics, and history to make an opinion. Which in turn makes Gold Gloves one of the least meaningful.

Why did Derek Jeter win two Gold Gloves? Was it because he was the best SS? Not even close. It's a)his name, b)his fielding percentage. Why did Michael Young with this year: his fielding percentage. They punish the guys that make more errors, but get to a heck of a lot more. How is that fair?

FedEx227
11-06-2008, 04:04 PM
As oeo said, but there are other factors.

It's a) your name b) the amount of notable highlights they can remember seeing of you c) your fielding percentage (worst defensive stat) d) your batting average and overall offensive ability.

And as you said, fielding percentage is a horrendous defensive stat. Give me a shortstop who dives for a ball, boots it, but keep it's in the infield before you give me Jeter, let me slowly get to it, stumble and act like I was really, really close to getting it but not get charged with an error.

PalehosePlanet
11-06-2008, 04:09 PM
I understand and agree with the point your advocating, however, in practice, we all know batting average is a huge factor in gold gloves. If you don't hit over .250, you're not going to win one. The gold glove picks have been a joke for a few years now.

Agreed 100%. E.G. Mark Ellis is a much better defensive 2B than Pedroia; he didn't win the award because he hit .233.The year that Palmeiro won the 1B gold glove after having DH'd all year (only played 8 games at 1B!) is the year this award officially became a joke.

PaleHoser
11-06-2008, 05:21 PM
Price for Adrian Beltre just went up. :whiner:

Madscout
11-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Agreed 100%. E.G. Mark Ellis is a much better defensive 2B than Pedroia; he didn't win the award because he hit .233.The year that Palmeiro won the 1B gold glove after having DH'd all year (only played 8 games at 1B!) is the year this award officially became a joke.
Not to mention a certain SS on a certain team that won the world series with much help from this SS's arm and glove.

whitesox901
11-07-2008, 01:34 PM
what??? Crede didn't win it at third base???

Madscout
11-07-2008, 01:54 PM
what??? Crede didn't win it at third base???
05 Uribe> 05 Jeter as far as Defense.

Lukin13
11-07-2008, 02:37 PM
I'd have gone Ellis, Aviles, Gomez (over Hunter), and Markakis (over Ichiro).

MHOUSE
11-08-2008, 02:29 AM
The Gold Glove is a total crock. All you need is a couple good seasons, then 2 gold gloves, and you're set for the next 4-5 years, especially as an outfielder. Also, they need to have one for LF, CF, and RF as all three positions have different nuances that make them unique. Giving gold gloves to (basically) only CF is a shame. As far as batting average goes I think you should be able to bat .200 if you're an amazing fielder and a team is willing to play you all year. They might as well let the fans vote and make it just as ridiculous as the all-star teams.

Billy Ashley
11-10-2008, 07:40 PM
P - mike mussina - yankees
c - joe mauer - twins
1st - carlos pena - rays
2nd - dustin pedroia - red sox
3rd - adrian beltre - mariners
ss - michael young - rangers
of - torii hunter - angels
of - grady sizemore - indians
of - ichiro suzuki - mariners

C: OK selection
1b- Best option of a bunch of average options- Youkilis took a step backward, Kotchman was traded out of the league, Tex only played a little
2b- Ok option, Ellis was better, Pedroia played many more games, atleast most metrics have Pedroia being a very good 2b
SS- awful awful selection
OF1- Awful selection
OF2- Sizemore is a slightly below average CF, amazing player but bad pick
OF3- Ichero is no longer great

Given Hunter's diminishing skill set, Ichero's age and Sizemore's averageness I'd argue that an OF of the three would just be above average to good. The frightening thing about that is that two of them are center fielders.