PDA

View Full Version : Are there any White Sox fans here in the Northeast/Mid Atlantic region?

Thome25
11-06-2008, 07:59 AM
I was sitting here wearing my White Sox gear just like I do on most days. I have my Authentic White Sox fitted cap on with my White Sox therma base fleece on.

Something occurred to me. I must be in the extreme minority when it comes to showing my Sox pride here in the Northeast. Sure, here in the northeast you see alot of people wearing Phillies, Orioles, Nationals, and of course alot of Yankees and Red Sawx gear as well. But, I must be a rare breed.

When people here in the northeast see me wearing my White Sox stuff they must think to themselves "He must be wearing that because he likes the team colors or something." or "He's a long way from home."

I do know one thing, when I tell people here in the northeast/mid atlantic that I'm originally from Chicago and that I was born there, they automatically ask me if I'm a Cubs fan. I usually reply with a terse "No, I root for the White Sox."

So is there anyone else out there who is in the Northeast or mid Atlantic who pulls for the Sox? How and why did you end up here? What started your passion for the White Sox living so far from home?

I was born on the Northside of Chicago at Swedish Covenant hospital. I lived my first few months of life a stones throw from Comiskey Park at 33rd and Parnell.

My family and I then lived most of my childhood years in the south suburbs of Cicero/Berwyn. I became a Sox fan when I was 12 or 13 years old because of Frank Thomas and I found out they signed Bo Jackson when I was in 7th or 8th grade.

I moved to the region I'm in now after my family picked up and moved to the east coast in my adult years. I moved here to be closer to them and also just out of curiosity of what this area was like.

So what's your story? Are White Sox fans well represented in the Northeast/Mid Atlantic region?

THANKS for posting!! (and reading my extra long post.)

DSpivack
11-06-2008, 12:02 PM
:yoohoo:

Jollyroger2
11-06-2008, 12:21 PM
I was sitting here wearing my White Sox gear just like I do on most days. I have my Authentic White Sox fitted cap on with my White Sox therma base fleece on.

Something occurred to me. I must be in the extreme minority when it comes to showing my Sox pride here in the Northeast. Sure, here in the northeast you see alot of people wearing Phillies, Orioles, Nationals, and of course alot of Yankees and Red Sawx gear as well. But, I must be a rare breed.

When people here in the northeast see me wearing my White Sox stuff they must think to themselves "He must be wearing that because he likes the team colors or something." or "He's a long way from home."

I do know one thing, when I tell people here in the northeast/mid atlantic that I'm originally from Chicago and that I was born there, they automatically ask me if I'm a Cubs fan. I usually reply with a terse "No, I root for the White Sox."

So is there anyone else out there who is in the Northeast or mid Atlantic who pulls for the Sox? How and why did you end up here? What started your passion for the White Sox living so far from home?

I was born on the Northside of Chicago at Swedish Covenant hospital. I lived my first few months of life a stones throw from Comiskey Park at 33rd and Parnell.

My family and I then lived most of my childhood years in the south suburbs of Cicero/Berwyn. I became a Sox fan when I was 12 or 13 years old because of Frank Thomas and I found out they signed Bo Jackson when I was in 7th or 8th grade.

I moved to the region I'm in now after my family picked up and moved to the east coast in my adult years. I moved here to be closer to them and also just out of curiosity of what this area was like.

So what's your story? Are White Sox fans well represented in the Northeast/Mid Atlantic region?

I'm in Northern Virginia. I wouldn't consider that the Northeast though. I'm right on the border of Fairfax and PW Counties. Ten miles further to the south and west and I'd be in bona-fide Dixie.

I lived as a child for several years in Joliet. My first Sox game was in 1976. I chose the Sox over the Cubs at a very early age, although I did get to games at both parks. Moved away but the Sox stayed with me. Had/has family still in the Chicago area, and that combined with work trips lets me get back to the area sometimes to see games. Other than that, I'm stuck having to go to Baltimore when I can.

Not much representation here. There's always some that show up when the Sox come to Baltimore, but not many. There are a few Cub fans, but predictably most of the ones I know have never lived in Chicago. WGN and/or bandwagon fans to the hilt.

I actually enjoy the looks I get when I wear one of my Sox jackets, like "who the hell is that team?" type of look. One woman in the grocery store one time said to me "I've never seen a Red Sox jacket like that one before." Despite trying to hold myself back, I slapped her.

I don't see as much Nationals stuff around here as I did when they first moved here from Canada. Despite the new stadium, interest in them has really fallen apart with the disastrous seasons they've been having. This area is a pretty good mish-mash of people from all over the place too with the Government, military and lots of major corporations. So I see many teams fans and colors around.

Hokiesox
11-06-2008, 12:47 PM
I head to the capitol every day with something white sox related on.

Thome25
11-06-2008, 12:53 PM
Well, we're about to get a very important White Sox fan here in the Mid Atlantic region in early 2009!! :D:

DumpJerry
11-06-2008, 02:11 PM
Well, we're about to get a very important White Sox fan here in the Mid Atlantic region in early 2009!! :D:
Congrats! Is this your first?

ChiSoxFan81
11-06-2008, 02:12 PM

I believe it's our 44th.

HomeFish
11-06-2008, 02:43 PM
When people see my White Sox stuff in Boston, they frequently tell me how they think that it's a cool-looking logo.

ThatGuyOnTheL
11-06-2008, 04:50 PM
When people see my White Sox stuff in Boston, they frequently tell me how they think that it's a cool-looking logo.

I recall browsing the Lids store at Downtown Crossing while two profoundly confused young men concluded that the '83 Sox hats on display were, in fact, "fake Sawx hats."

I want Mags back
11-06-2008, 05:51 PM

I believe it's our 44th.

:rolling:

Thome25
11-06-2008, 08:03 PM

Thanks.....I really appreciate it but, um unless my wife is giving birth to Barack Obama that isn't what I meant. Sorry for the confusion.:D:

I have two girls actually.....one's six and the other is a year old!!

palehozenychicty
11-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Yeah. Been a true Sox fan here in NY for about six years, then in DC for about two. Grew up in South Bend, IN, and went to my first game at Old Comiskey in 1989. I want to visit the Phils, O's, and Nats parks next year. We'll have to set it up for the O's, then, next year. The Sox played at the Bank in '07 and got ran over by Adam Eaton. :(:

FUram5585
11-07-2008, 06:14 PM
I came out to NYC for college 6 years ago and ended up staying after graduation. I get looks sometimes with all the different gear that I wear but I feel that theres a pretty friendly reception out here to the team and fans. The one thing I did learn out here was that I immediately separated myself from others out here who were northside cubs fans. Proud to be a Sox fan and showing my pride for the team and neighborhood

SoxandtheCityTee
11-08-2008, 11:03 AM
I know some serious Sox fans in NYC who don't post here. But they do represent at Yankees games, bars that carry the games, etc.

Thome25
11-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Yeah. Been a true Sox fan here in NY for about six years, then in DC for about two. Grew up in South Bend, IN, and went to my first game at Old Comiskey in 1989. I want to visit the Phils, O's, and Nats parks next year. We'll have to set it up for the O's, then, next year. The Sox played at the Bank in '07 and got ran over by Adam Eaton. :(:

I was at that game in '07 vs Eaton....the ballpark is nice and I got to meet "The Bull". Between the O's and Phillies ballparks I definitely prefer The Bank. Camden Yards is a dump.

Marqhead
11-09-2008, 04:22 PM
Holding it down for the Sox in western Maryland. Moved there for work. I'm excited to get out to the ballparks next season to see the sox on the road. It's going to be a long offseason.

chisox56
11-13-2008, 03:41 PM
Recent transplant from northwest indiana to burlington vermont. Haven't seen any white sox stuff yet.

AZChiSoxFan
11-14-2008, 04:18 PM
Between the O's and Phillies ballparks I definitely prefer The Bank. Camden Yards is a dump.

:o::?:

Different strokes for different folks. I love Camden Yards.

Jurr
11-14-2008, 04:41 PM
Holding it down in Pittsburgh. Life is good.

petekat
11-16-2008, 08:13 PM
I live in DC and work in Balto, about 5 blocks from Camden yds. There's usually several thousand Sox fans whenever they come into town, which in Camden, means we're about 1/4 the crowd(!). Also recall, Balto is where AJ and the gang heard "Don't stop believing" and decided to make it their anthem. Will probably be a much bigger gang come next spring!

Rockin Robin
11-19-2008, 02:13 PM
I recall browsing the Lids store at Downtown Crossing while two profoundly confused young men concluded that the '83 Sox hats on display were, in fact, "fake Sawx hats."

No joke, thats exactly where I got my '83 hat.

It's hard for me to wear only because I do sometimes see Sawx fans wearing it thinking it's a Bosox hat. And I don't want folks to lump me in with that group.

I'm holding down the Sox quota in Somerville.

SoxFan64
11-20-2008, 12:14 PM
Live in suburban DC, moved here in the early 80's and never went home. Go to at least one Sox game when they come into Baltimore every year.

I see a fair amount of Sox stuff, but sometimes it is just a person who has all the hats and wants to color coordinate. Still there are many Sox fans in the DC area.

We can play to gather for a Sox game at Camden when they come in. With the O's poor play it will be a cinch to get great seats the day of the game.