PDA

View Full Version : Cubs have already won the 2009 World Series

DumpJerry
11-06-2008, 07:49 AM
According to Ken Rosenthal. (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8761340/Cubs-seek-super-rotation-with-Peavy,-Dempster?MSNHPHMA) Never mind none of these transaction have actually occurred yet, but why let details interrupt a fantasy?:rolleyes:

Marqhead
11-06-2008, 08:08 AM
It's gonna happen!

esbrechtel
11-06-2008, 09:04 AM
What would their payroll look like if they had Peavy, Zambrano, Dempster, Harden, and Lilly? How can a team looking to sell in this economy add that much more payroll? Baffles the mind.

soltrain21
11-06-2008, 09:52 AM
What the hell could they even trade for Peavy? Rich Hill and Felix Pie are still considered valuable?

white sox bill
11-06-2008, 10:04 AM
This is gonna be their Millennium, I can feel it!!

hi im skot
11-06-2008, 10:28 AM
Where does it say they'll win the World Series?

:?:

chisoxmike
11-06-2008, 10:44 AM
What the hell could they even trade for Peavy? Rich Hill and Felix Pie are still considered valuable?

I read that a possible trade was Marshall, Pie, Cedano for Peavy.

****ing unbelievable, if true.

areilly
11-06-2008, 10:50 AM
According to Ken Rosenthal. (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8761340/Cubs-seek-super-rotation-with-Peavy,-Dempster?MSNHPHMA) Never mind none of these transaction have actually occurred yet, but why let details interrupt a fantasy?:rolleyes:

Seconded. All I see is some gushing about what the Cubs' rotation would look like should their dream of landing Peavy come true - and there's no denying it would be a pretty impressive staff.

white sox bill
11-06-2008, 10:55 AM

Its an assumed thing

ChiSoxFan81
11-06-2008, 11:11 AM
LOL. Yeah, it would be a pretty impressive rotation until Peavy realizes he isn't at Petco, Harden goes on the DL, and Dempster can't recapture the "magic" of 2008. I can't believe they are going to continue to throw money at the problem with the investments they already have in current players.

hi im skot
11-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Its an assumed thing

No, it's more of a "check out the awesome rotation the Cubs could have in 2009" thing.

And as areilly said, it would be pretty solid (on paper).

JermaineDye05
11-06-2008, 11:20 AM
will cry if the Cubs get Peavy

chisoxmike
11-06-2008, 11:22 AM
will cry if the Cubs get Peavy

Seriously?

VenturaFan23
11-06-2008, 11:29 AM
I read that a possible trade was Marshall, Pie, Cedano for Peavy.

****ing unbelievable, if true.

Yeah, it's like that one guy in your fantasy football or baseball league that tries to trade you a lot of average players for your one superstar, so he'll think it evens out. Too bad real GM's in Oakland and possibly San Diego are dumb enough to accept it.

areilly
11-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Its an assumed thing

Assumed by whom? And what in Rosenthal's piece suggests they would win the 2009 World Series?

areilly
11-06-2008, 11:34 AM
Yeah, it's like that one guy in your fantasy football or baseball league that tries to trade you a lot of average players for your one superstar, so he'll think it evens out. Too bad real GM's in Oakland and possibly San Diego are dumb enough to accept it.

You're forgetting that:
a) there's little chance the Padres can afford to re-sign Peavy once his contract's up
b) his no-trade clause means he decides who Towers can and cannot deal with.

As with any negotation, what's on the table is probably just a start. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Cubs raise their offer by at least another top prospect while the Padres throw in a low-grade left-handed bat.

Chicken Dinner
11-06-2008, 11:40 AM
Is the Trib working on a new book?

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/32930000/32935454.JPG

PaleHoser
11-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Next year's book will have Sean Marshall on the cover.

white sox bill
11-06-2008, 11:49 AM
The cubs are good at putting pieces of the puzzle on the table. They just can't seem to put those pieces together. But they have won 3 division titles this decade, so the Lovable Loser tag is a bit of a stretch. Thank God they haven't done squat in the playoffs

VenturaFan23
11-06-2008, 11:55 AM
But they have won 3 division titles this decade, so the Lovable Loser tag is a bit of a stretch.

You're right, they never were "loveable".

pythons007
11-06-2008, 11:56 AM
Holy crap is this a garbage article. Peavy isn't going to be as good in Wrigley as he would be in PETCO. Look at the following stats, why does everything think this guy is a great pitcher??? These stats are career home and away, LOOK AT ERA, HRS, AND WHIP!!!!!!!!!!!

G GS W L SV CG SHO IP H R ER HR BB K ERA WHIP BAA
Home 103 103 41 27 0 3 1 678.0 543 216 209 47 195 717 2.77 1.09 .219
Away 96 96 45 35 0 3 2 583.0 546 268 246 81 212 539 3.80 1.30 .246

If he goes to the Cubs, look out! I mean am I the only one looking at these stats correctly?!?! Doubling up on HRs given up, more than a full run added to the ERA, and the WHIP is even uglier! So going to a wide open stadium to a bandbox is not goign to help out those numbers!

Brewski
11-06-2008, 12:04 PM
New Government program called Socialized Winning.

Disclaimer:This is in teal and is not intended as a political post, so don't get on my case.

hi im skot
11-06-2008, 12:32 PM
New Government program called Socialized Winning.

Disclaimer:This is in teal and is not intended as a political post, so don't get on my case.

:duck:

ComiskeyBrewer
11-06-2008, 12:50 PM
reduce their payroll by trading right-hander Jason Marquis

Who in their right mind would ever accept a trade for Marquis? That guy is beyond horrible.

JermaineDye05
11-06-2008, 01:24 PM
Seriously?

Peavy is my favorite pitcher in baseball. Of the teams I'd hate to see him on, the Cubs are 4th.

1) Twins
2) Indians
3) Tigers
4) Cubs

I wouldn't cry literally, but I'd be pretty ****ing pissed. I would now be forced to listen to all my Cub fan friends boast about getting Peavy, since they know I love him. Plus I couldn't watch a Peavy game without listening to Ron Santo or Len Kasper.

I find it funny that Hendry is thinking of getting another pitcher instead of an impact bat. The pitching wasn't the problem this year. If they get Peavy, certainly their pitching would be amazing and their playoff rotation would be great but if they don't fix that offense they'll probably finish the same as this year.

JermaineDye05
11-06-2008, 01:30 PM
Steve Stone's take on the Cubs getting Peavy and Adrian Goznalez had me :rolling::rolling::rolling:

Against right now everything is now speculation, the biggest rumors coming out is the Cubs getting Adrian Gonzalez and Jake Peavy from San Diego. Short of kidnapping Kevin Towers and holding him for ransom. I am not sure Jim Hendry can pull that off

Link (http://stevestone.com/stevesPitch.html)

btrain929
11-06-2008, 02:09 PM
Steve Stone's take on the Cubs getting Peavy and Adrian Goznalez had me :rolling::rolling::rolling:

Link (http://stevestone.com/stevesPitch.html)

Tell Stone that was from about 2 weeks ago, but thanks.

btrain929
11-06-2008, 02:12 PM
LOL. Yeah, it would be a pretty impressive rotation until Peavy realizes he isn't at Petco, Harden goes on the DL, and Dempster can't recapture the "magic" of 2008. I can't believe they are going to continue to throw money at the problem with the investments they already have in current players.

All are very legitimate concerns.

But still, if the Cubs actually get Peavy:
1) I'm going to travel to SD to punch Towers in the face for giving up a great pitcher for peanuts, and
2) I'm going to travel to ATL to punch their tool of a GM in the face for not acquiring Peavy, when they clearly have the most need for Peavy, as well as the best players to offer for Peavy. Stop being a cheapskate and get the deal done.

Craig Grebeck
11-06-2008, 02:14 PM
All are very legitimate concerns.

Put still, if the Cubs actually get Peavy:
1) I'm going to travel to SD to punch Towers in the face for giving up a great pitcher for peanuts, and
2) I'm going to travel to ATL to punch their tool of a GM in the face for not acquiring Peavy, when they clearly have the most need for Peavy, as well as the best players to offer for Peavy. Stop being a cheapskate and get the deal done.
Y'know, the Cubs do have valuable prospects.

hellview
11-06-2008, 02:25 PM
If I were the Braves I wouldn't trade for Peavy. Tommy Hansen and Jason Heyward are going to be monster players in a few years. I think we've seen the best of Peavy. He had some elbow troubles last season and I think his best days are behind him.

btrain929
11-06-2008, 02:35 PM
Y'know, the Cubs do have valuable prospects.

Not more valuable than the Braves, who need Peavy more than the Cubs.

hellview
11-06-2008, 03:18 PM
Not more valuable than the Braves, who need Peavy more than the Cubs.

If I'm the Braves I'd rather just sign Lowe then trade for Peavy. I know Lowe isn't as good as Peavy, but the money will be less and you don't have to give up any top prospects.

kittle42
11-06-2008, 03:34 PM
If I'm the Braves I'd rather just sign Lowe then trade for Peavy.

Well, that would be quite the offseason, wouldn't it?

Oh, you meant, "than."

PalehosePlanet
11-06-2008, 03:37 PM
If the Cubs were to trade for Peavy and re-sign Dempster there would be huge trickle down effects on the overall team.1) Kerry Wood would definitely be gone.2) They would not be able to acquire a left handed bat that they desperately need.3) They would more than likely lose either Harden or Samardzija or both in order to acquire him. (Sorry...not buying the Veal, Ceda, Pie, etc. bull****.)4) They would need to dump Fukudome's and Marquis' contract on someone to make it happen. Good luck w/that Jimbo!

turners56
11-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Take a look at Peavy's splits outside of Petco. Take a look at his playoff resume. Not very impressive. No matter what happens, this core of Cubs players just choke in October.

And just who are the Cubs giving up? Felix Pie and Mike Vitters? Their organization is full of overrated prospects who never turn out.

Craig Grebeck
11-06-2008, 05:16 PM
Take a look at Peavy's splits outside of Petco. Take a look at his playoff resume. Not very impressive. No matter what happens, this core of Cubs players just choke in October.

And just who are the Cubs giving up? Felix Pie and Mike Vitters? Their organization is full of overrated prospects who never turn out.
I looked. Three out of the last five years he's had an ERA under 3. Who would they give up? I'm guessing Fontenot/Pie/Vitters/Ceda would be a pretty nice package. The Padres aren't asking for the moon, but they want guys who will be useful.

munchman33
11-06-2008, 05:37 PM

If Peavy made all of his starts out of Petco, he'd still be in contention for a CY Young. *** are you smoking?

turners56
11-06-2008, 07:30 PM
If Peavy made all of his starts out of Petco, he'd still be in contention for a CY Young. *** are you smoking?

2.72 ERA in Petco during the last 3 seasons.
3.73 ERA on the road. That's a one run difference.

He also has a .21 difference in his WHIP. A 3.73 ERA is not Cy Young material.

turners56
11-06-2008, 07:33 PM
I looked. Three out of the last five years he's had an ERA under 3. Who would they give up? I'm guessing Fontenot/Pie/Vitters/Ceda would be a pretty nice package. The Padres aren't asking for the moon, but they want guys who will be useful.

I've always wondered how Pie has stayed afloat as a top prospect for all these years. He's been worse than Brian Anderson and yet, he's always in rumors for big name players. The kid might have talent, but when are teams going to notice that he's not all that good?

chisoxfanatic
11-06-2008, 07:38 PM
I've always wondered how Pie has stayed afloat as a top prospect for all these years. He's been worse than Brian Anderson and yet, he's always in rumors for big name players. The kid might have talent, but when are teams going to notice that he's not all that good?
When he's not in the Cubs' organization anymore. They get similar love as the Yankees and Carmines. What is there to expect?

I still see him going to a team like the Braves.

Craig Grebeck
11-06-2008, 07:51 PM
He's not comparable at all to Brian Anderson.

RadioheadRocks
11-06-2008, 08:14 PM
The way things have gone you'd think they would have FINALLY learned to stop putting the cart before the horse.

Let 'em keep predicting premature World Series championships... it only makes them look that much more stupid when it doesn't happen!

turners56
11-06-2008, 08:15 PM
He's not comparable at all to Brian Anderson.

I'm talking about his Major League track record when it comes to statistics. I understand he is a 5-tool player and that BA is not.

Lip Man 1
11-06-2008, 10:18 PM
From ESPN.com... Townes says he'll probably be traded inside of a month:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3687064

Lip

DumpJerry
11-06-2008, 10:36 PM

Seconded. All I see is some gushing about what the Cubs' rotation would look like should their dream of landing Peavy come true - and there's no denying it would be a pretty impressive staff.
The headline on MSN's homepage which led me to the article was "Cubs to have best rotation in a century."

Oh wait, you're right, it's been over a century now since they last won the thing.

munchman33
11-06-2008, 10:59 PM
2.72 ERA in Petco during the last 3 seasons.
3.73 ERA on the road. That's a one run difference.

He also has a .21 difference in his WHIP. A 3.73 ERA is not Cy Young material.

He's also posted an era in the 2's on the road in three of his six full seasons.

RedHeadPaleHoser
11-07-2008, 07:38 AM
The headline on MSN's homepage which led me to the article was "Cubs to have best rotation in a century."

Oh wait, you're right, it's been over a century now since they last won the thing.

So, the Cubs are bringing their 1908 rotation back from the dead? I thought graverobbing was ilegal.

I hope they get all these people they've been named as "frontrunners" on, and that team falls on its face, AGAIN, in the postseason.

areilly
11-07-2008, 07:49 AM

As an alternate exercise, name a Cubs rotation in the last 100 years of the franchise superior to a hypothetical 2009 rotation that includes Peavy.

DumpJerry
11-07-2008, 08:20 AM
As an alternate exercise, name a Cubs rotation in the last 100 years of the franchise superior to a hypothetical 2009 rotation that includes Peavy.
2003. They would have swept the World Series except for some guy grabbing a foul ball.

:redneck

veeter
11-07-2008, 10:05 AM
The cubs can get Peavy, as soon as they throw either Marmol or Soto in the deal.

veeter
11-07-2008, 10:10 AM
Who in their right mind would ever accept a trade for Marquis? That guy is beyond horrible.Just another example that Jim Hendry is a joke. The guy is a check writer, that's it. He's put together so many horrific contracts it's not even funny. The pre-season cub hype has already started, as every available player is linked to them or the Mets. But in the end they'll end up losing as usual.

hellview
11-07-2008, 10:16 AM
Just another example that Jim Hendry is a joke. The guy is a check writer, that's it. He's put together so many horrific contracts it's not even funny. The pre-season cub hype has already started, as every available player is linked to them or the Mets. But in the end they'll end up losing as usual.

I don't think Jim is a bad GM at all, he's got a bad contract in Marquis. Name a GM that hasn't had a couple bad signings?

I think it was KW but I remember a quote "If you havn't made a bad signing or trade, then you haven't been a GM for very long"

veeter
11-07-2008, 10:30 AM
I don't think Jim is a bad GM at all, he's got a bad contract in Marquis. Name a GM that hasn't had a couple bad signings?

I think it was KW but I remember a quote "If you havn't made a bad signing or trade, then you haven't been a GM for very long"Marquis, bad. Fukodome, bad. Soriano, bad. Lilly, good so far, but, IMO, because he's now in the NL. But at the time of signing, way overpaid. Hendry has thrown the cash around like a drunken sailor. He cannot, however, put together a trade package, i.e. Brian Roberts, to save his life. My prediction is he'll fail in the Peavy battle as well. Again, San Diego should MAKE him include Soto or Marmol, or the deal is off.

areilly
11-07-2008, 11:03 AM
He cannot, however, put together a trade package, i.e. Brian Roberts, to save his life.

He turned Hee Seop Choi into Derrek Lee and Jose Hernandez into Aramis Ramirez. I hate the Cubs, but I can't pretend Hendry's as stupid as I'd like him to be.

kittle42
11-07-2008, 11:07 AM
He turned Hee Seop Choi into Derrek Lee and Jose Hernandez into Aramis Ramirez. I hate the Cubs, but I can't pretend Hendry's as stupid as I'd like him to be.

You're right. Some here will persist, however, because it's the Cubs.

veeter
11-07-2008, 11:14 AM
He turned Hee Seop Choi into Derrek Lee and Jose Hernandez into Aramis Ramirez. I hate the Cubs, but I can't pretend Hendry's as stupid as I'd like him to be.I see those moves as picking on two money strapped teams. He's a vulture. And those moves are already 4 or 5 years in the past. Trades, he's actually made, have been bad to him since then. But I won't hide the fact I'm jaded by my cub hatred.

areilly
11-07-2008, 11:24 AM
I see those moves as picking on two money strapped teams. He's a vulture. And those moves are already 4 or 5 years in the past. Trades, he's actually made, have been bad to him since then. But I won't hide the fact I'm jaded by my cub hatred.

Which trades? Nomar comes to mind as a bust, but the Cubs didn't give up a whole lot for him. Harden was a pretty good deal all around. Cotts didn't work out, but neither did Aardsma so that was pretty even. Sosa became Fontenot, which seems to have worked out pretty well for the North Side.

These are the only ones I can think of, but I can't really think of any besides Nomar where the deal hurt the team down the line, unless Hendry was the one who shipped out Dontrelle Willis and Jon Garland.

veeter
11-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Which trades? Nomar comes to mind as a bust, but the Cubs didn't give up a whole lot for him. Harden was a pretty good deal all around. Cotts didn't work out, but neither did Aardsma so that was pretty even. Sosa became Fontenot, which seems to have worked out pretty well for the North Side.

These are the only ones I can think of, but I can't really think of any besides Nomar where the deal hurt the team down the line, unless Hendry was the one who shipped out Dontrelle Willis and Jon Garland.Yes, Hendry shipped Willis, not Garland. Another bad trade was Ricky Nolasco and Sergio Mitre for one year of Juan Pierre.

turners56
11-07-2008, 03:59 PM
He's also posted an era in the 2's on the road in three of his six full seasons.

Yeah, but are we going to just look at those three seasons or his overall resume? He had a 4+ ERA on the road last year.