PDA

View Full Version : Giants to talk trading Rowand to White Sox or Yankees?

Whitesoxfan23
11-06-2008, 01:37 AM
Baggarly expects the Giants to quietly explore the market for Aaron Rowand, which could include the Yankees and White Sox. Rowand is owed $44MM over the next four seasons, and has no-trade protection.

Mlbtraderumors.com.

I know the rumors on here most of the time aren't true, just thought it was interesting.

JermaineDye05
11-06-2008, 01:42 AM
Thus it begins...

I'd welcome it if we got Chone Figgins or Brian Roberts, someone who can lead off for us.

However I'd worry about injuries, Quentin returning from the wrist injury and we all know how fearless Rowand is in the outfield.

KRS1
11-06-2008, 01:49 AM
Thus begins rowandinteractive Part III: The Legend of Aaron's Gold (glove).

:puking:

Ziggy S
11-06-2008, 03:37 AM
Omg2005!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!

Rock n roll mother****ers!

Chrisaway
11-06-2008, 05:56 AM
:rolleyes:Here we go again.

Zisk77
11-06-2008, 07:10 AM
Where's he gonna play?!

oeo
11-06-2008, 07:23 AM
It doesn't seem like that's a direction the Sox want to head. Pure speculation on this guy's part because of the history between the Sox and Rowand.

Taliesinrk
11-06-2008, 08:19 AM
You people get upset when this comes up, but I think it's hilarious. I say this not because I doubt nor accept the rumor having validity, rather, I just LOVE the responses this topic gets. If we got a lead-off guy AND a number 2 type hitter, I'd consider it. I just really think our O needs to cut down on Ks and runners that I can beat in a foot race.

doublem23
11-06-2008, 08:22 AM
Omg2005!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!

Rock n roll mother****ers!

Shut the hell up, we have a desperate need for a CF right now.

MsSoxVixen22
11-06-2008, 08:32 AM
I for one, would be very happy to see Aaron Rowand back and I have no problem saying that! :D: He was one of my favorite players when he was here. I won't be holding my breath though and if we don't get Aaron back, I won't cry about it. I don't know if BA is doing Winter Ball, but I'd like to see him get a shot at CF, if Swish will be at 1B.

FedEx227
11-06-2008, 08:37 AM

So much so that we're willing to take on a ridiculous contract for an overrated player, when just one year ago we couldn't believe someone would sign him to a 5-year deal.

There are plenty of other CF out there, why does it always have to be an ex-player, a veteran or Aaron Rowand.

Taliesinrk
11-06-2008, 08:43 AM
So much so that we're willing to take on a ridiculous contract for an overrated player, when just one year ago we couldn't believe someone would sign him to a 5-year deal.

There are plenty of other CF out there, why does it always have to be an ex-player, a veteran or Aaron Rowand.

You're making a (IMO) poor assumption here. Just because we'd trade for Rowand doesn't mean we'd take that whole contract. Depending on the deal, I'd have to imagine the Giants would pick up at least a bit of it. Kenny knows what he's doing.

oeo
11-06-2008, 08:46 AM

And we shouldn't fill it with another aging vet. Especially one who should probably be moving to a corner outfield spot soon. You do that, and his bat is weak.

We're better off without Rowand.

russ99
11-06-2008, 08:47 AM
Hmm... Maybe we can swap one underperforming player with a no trade clause and too large of a contract for another. :tongue:

But who knows if the Giants have any interest at all in Konerko.

voodoochile
11-06-2008, 08:53 AM

Not so much that we need to spend that much money for a guy who is really pretty average.

You rejected the deal once, KW, stand tall and do it again.

KenBerryGrab
11-06-2008, 09:40 AM
Overpriced and trending down. No, thanks. Spend that money on a starter instead.

Taliesinrk
11-06-2008, 09:41 AM
I think some of you people are nuts. I'm not AR's biggest supporter, but let's think of who we've had in CF since he's left - it's not pretty. If SF eats some of the terrible contract they signed him too, and we don't give up a whole lot, why would we turn it down?

What are the better options to be had? I'm a FOBA for the record, but I'm not sure OG is ever going to give him a real shot (let's not go down that road.. I'm pretty sure we've covered it once or twice already). I guess if the price is right, we're not in a great position to be ultra picky here. AR is a proven veteran who WILL put up decent/average numbers, have decent/average range (bad reads), and is a white sox kind of guy. There would be nothing wrong with getting him in the right kind of deal and solving our lead-off problem through another avenue.

I think people are clouding their viewpoints b/c it's been brought up so much here. Think if AR hadn't ever played here to begin with... would we still be acting as though he would be the worst thing to be had? I can't take Swisher in CF again. I like him, but I can't handle him in CF.

barryball
11-06-2008, 09:51 AM
I say we trade Swisher for Rowand straight up. He goes back to the coast and we get a CF who can hit and play alot better. Salary wise we take on $20mm more than we owe Swisher for the same period unlesswe get SF to eat some of Rowand's $'s. They get younger which is what they want and we get a CF which is what we need. Rowand is still relative young at 31 so it's not a big risk. We can still go out and get a lead-off guiy at 2nd base.

jabrch
11-06-2008, 10:02 AM
How much money is SF willing to pay of the contract, and what would they want for him? That's my question...

I surely wouldn't want that contract - but if they want to make him more affordable, then it would depend on what they want for him.

I think Aaron already made his contributions to this club - but I am open to a future if the price is right.

Taliesinrk
11-06-2008, 10:04 AM
How much money is SF willing to pay of the contract, and what would they want for him? That's my question...

I surely wouldn't want that contract - but if they want to make him more affordable, then it would depend on what they want for him.

I think Aaron already made his contributions to this club - but I am open to a future if the price is right.

Finally, a rationale post.

oeo
11-06-2008, 10:08 AM
Not so much that we need to spend that much money for a guy who is really pretty average.

You rejected the deal once, KW, stand tall and do it again.

I'm really doubting there's even any interest. This is all speculation on this guy's part.

I think some of you people are nuts. I'm not AR's biggest supporter, but let's think of who we've had in CF since he's left - it's not pretty. If SF eats some of the terrible contract they signed him too, and we don't give up a whole lot, why would we turn it down?

Not having a centerfielder since he's left does not justify bringing him back. Yes, we need a centerfielder, but I really wish we'd go in a different direction. I don't see Rowand as a good fit.

PaleHoser
11-06-2008, 10:41 AM
KW was very clear last year when he said he wanted Rowand back, but would not give him the fifth year he wanted. Unless the Giants are willing to eat that fifth year, I have a better chance of playing CF for the Sox than Rowand does.

thomas35forever
11-06-2008, 12:10 PM
http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/images/smilies/mur.gif

Stop it please. He's gone, people. Accept it.

hi im skot
11-06-2008, 12:26 PM
KW was very clear last year when he said he wanted Rowand back, but would not give him the fifth year he wanted. Unless the Giants are willing to eat that fifth year, I have a better chance of playing CF for the Sox than Rowand does.

How grindy are you?

BadBobbyJenks
11-06-2008, 12:56 PM
I love Aaron Rowand threads. All these posters jump in to talk **** about how people have a love affair with the legend of Rowand, but the first 5 posts are people making fun of those fans before they ever make a comment. You guys are worse than the the Rowand fan boys.

wulfy
11-06-2008, 01:12 PM

But it's only a 4 year deal now .... :cool:

oeo
11-06-2008, 02:22 PM
http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/images/smilies/mur.gif

Stop it please. He's gone, people. Accept it.

This is from some guy in California...not Sox fans.

hi im skot
11-06-2008, 02:46 PM
I love Aaron Rowand threads. All these posters jump in to talk **** about how people have a love affair with the legend of Rowand, but the first 5 posts are people making fun of those fans before they ever make a comment. You guys are worse than the the Rowand fan boys.

:whiner:

turners56
11-06-2008, 03:02 PM
I think Rowand would accept a trade here without a doubt. However, that's not the problem. We do have a bit more to spend this year, but center field is not our biggest hole. I'd rather have Hudson or Figgins than Rowand tbh.

chisoxmike
11-06-2008, 03:13 PM
I hear Rowand's a Bears fan.

Konerko05
11-06-2008, 03:16 PM
I think Rowand would accept a trade here without a doubt. However, that's not the problem. We do have a bit more to spend this year, but center field is not our biggest hole. I'd rather have Hudson or Figgins than Rowand tbh.

Correct. Figgins/Hudson + Anderson > Fields/Getz + Rowand.

guillen4life13
11-06-2008, 03:27 PM
Correct. Figgins/Hudson + Anderson > Fields/Getz + Rowand.

How 'bout Figgins/Hudson+Rowand?

Seriously, you never know. It would be a long shot but if KW can work the right deals, and he has been known to surprise.

Taliesinrk
11-06-2008, 03:49 PM
How 'bout Figgins/Hudson+Rowand?

Seriously, you never know. It would be a long shot but if KW can work the right deals, and he has been known to surprise.

I'm not really sure it is a long shot... more of a matter of whether that's the direction in which KW wants to go. Like it's been said, Rowand's contract is not attractive.

Daver
11-06-2008, 03:52 PM
When are you people going to realize you can never have enough corner outfielders?

PaleHoser
11-06-2008, 04:36 PM
How grindy are you?

I can grind with the best of them. I work at Starbucks! Sadly, I didn't play college football so I doubt KW would be interested.

btrain929
11-06-2008, 04:37 PM
I can grind with the best of them. I work at Starbucks! Sadly, I didn't play college football so I doubt KW would be interested.

C'mon, that's not even close.

:tealtutor:

Rocky Soprano
11-06-2008, 04:41 PM
When are you people going to realize you can never have enough corner outfielders?

When they realize that Brian Anderson has a better glove than Rowand.
Yup, I said it.

ode to veeck
11-06-2008, 05:26 PM
Thus begins rowandinteractive Part III: The Legend of Aaron's Gold (glove).

:puking:

aka the legend of Aaron's bad routes lol

gonna be hard to get someone to eat the contract though and Aaron likes SF close to family (bakersfield) and relatives in the bay area

Jerko
11-06-2008, 05:27 PM
Would it mean getting rid of the current #33?

thomas35forever
11-06-2008, 05:35 PM
Here's a better idea. Rowand retires and, due to his being both a former White Sox and a Bears fan, becomes the new Secretary of the Grindiness in the new administration.

Soxfest
11-06-2008, 06:11 PM
Rowand can stay away!

Zisk77
11-06-2008, 06:32 PM
I hear Rowand's a Bears fan.

If he can play qb this weekend then deal!

mzh
11-06-2008, 06:36 PM
I never quite understood why people always liked Aaron Rowand so much anyway. He had one or two decent years, but since then he has gone away completely. Let me give you his averages and homers since 2005:
.270, 13. .262, 12. .309, 27. .271, 13.
I am not saying he isn't a decent ballplayer, I'm just wondering why every year people continually whine about either not bringing him back or letting him go in the first place. Nick Swisher was definitely not great, however at this point I think we are stuck with him at least through training camp just because we have bigger needs elsewhere, i.e. getting a 5th pitcher, etc.

So, in the end, with the kind of numbers Rowand has put up compared to the money he will be asking, I think we are betting off using that on an extension to Javy Vasquez's contract!

Tragg
11-06-2008, 07:28 PM
Baggarly expects the Giants to quietly explore the market for Aaron Rowand, which could include the Yankees and White Sox. Rowand is owed $44MM over the next four seasons, and has no-trade protection.

Mlbtraderumors.com.

I know the rumors on here most of the time aren't true, just thought it was interesting.
If we didn't seriously try to sign him, why in the world would we want to now give up talent for him?

Sargeant79
11-06-2008, 10:18 PM
Like all trades, it depends on what we are giving up. If the Giants aren't asking for much and they're willing to eat at least a third of his contract, then I say go for it. There are worse options for CF out there, as we've seen over the last few years.

But the fact is that because they paid him like an elite player when he was a free agent (and he's not an elite player), the Giants will likely be requesting a return equaling one that would be expected for an elite player. I don't see a way that we match up with them based on that.

BadBobbyJenks
11-06-2008, 10:44 PM
:whiner:

Who is crying? Smiley images FOR THE WIN!

guillensdisciple
11-07-2008, 02:13 AM
No Rowand, that ship has sailed.

Great while he served, but I don't believe he will contribute to the Sox the way he did back then.

WSox597
11-09-2008, 06:47 AM
I never quite understood why people always liked Aaron Rowand so much anyway. He had one or two decent years, but since then he has gone away completely. Let me give you his averages and homers since 2005:
.270, 13. .262, 12. .309, 27. .271, 13.
I am not saying he isn't a decent ballplayer, I'm just wondering why every year people continually whine about either not bringing him back or letting him go in the first place. Nick Swisher was definitely not great, however at this point I think we are stuck with him at least through training camp just because we have bigger needs elsewhere, i.e. getting a 5th pitcher, etc.

So, in the end, with the kind of numbers Rowand has put up compared to the money he will be asking, I think we are betting off using that on an extension to Javy Vasquez's contract!

Ahh, my eyes, my eyes! :D:

If we then trade Vazquez to some sucker, er another team, then that's okay. But that's illegal in baseball, a sign and trade like the NBA, so we'd be stuck with his nervous butt.