PDA

View Full Version : Brad Penny's option declined by LAD...

btrain929
11-05-2008, 05:30 PM
http://hotstove.mlblogs.com/archives/2008/11/dodgers_decline_option_on_penn.html?partnerId=rss_ la

...which makes him a FA. He's only 30 and has had decent success in the past. Looked like injuries were the thing holding him back in 2008. Plus, we all know he's somewhat good friends with BA :D:.

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.....

turners56
11-05-2008, 05:31 PM
I wouldn't mind if it's reasonably priced. It's a good time to buy low.

areilly
11-05-2008, 06:02 PM
When it's time to party, Brad Penny will always party hard.

munchman33
11-05-2008, 06:22 PM
Brad Penny is a good pitcher. Injuries aside, anyone who doesn't want him here doesn't know much about him. He won't cost that much.

AzureJazzMan
11-05-2008, 06:54 PM
Color me crazy...But, I have always like Brad Penny's ability since he started with the Marlins. He doesn't rattle easily, and has a nice amount of post season experience.

Now all we need is for Kenny to sign Burnett and Pavano and we could recapture the glory of the early 2000's Florida Marlins. Imagine how happy it would make Ozzie.

DSpivack
11-05-2008, 07:32 PM
No way does he come cheap. Only way I see him here is if Vazquez is dealt.

TheOldRoman
11-05-2008, 07:33 PM
I have thought for a few months now that Kenny would go after Penny, so we will see. I figured he would trade for him, but he will be harder to come by now that he is a free agent. I don't understand the Dodgers' thinking here. I know he was on bad terms with the team, but they should have picked up his option and traded him. He is a good pitcher.

munchman33
11-05-2008, 07:40 PM

He's coming off a year he barely pitched. His deal will be incentive laiden.

btrain929
11-05-2008, 08:00 PM

I think someone will give him a 2 yr deal, with a big option on a 3rd year. I'd give him 2yrs/12mil.

turners56
11-05-2008, 08:05 PM

He just had one of his worst seasons ever, bad enough that the Dodgers didn't even want him back. Nobody's going to give him a long-term deal for a great amount of money.

turners56
11-05-2008, 08:06 PM
I think someone will give him a 2 yr deal, with a big option on a 3rd year. I'd give him 2yrs/12mil.

I'd like to think it might be more than that with some incentives.

Daver
11-05-2008, 08:06 PM

Munch.

What is the most valuable commodity in all of baseball?

Craig Grebeck
11-05-2008, 08:14 PM
Munch.

Easy: Mark Hendrickson.

BadBobbyJenks
11-05-2008, 08:18 PM

No no no, minor leaguers that have never pitched above single A destined to become Hall of Famers.

btrain929
11-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Munch.

Whatever Billy Beane deems most valuable.

veeter
11-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Penny would be nice.

SoxNation05
11-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Brad Penny's option had just been declined by the Dodgers so he is now a FA.

What I want from the Sox is stability from the starting rotation.
As it stands are starting pitchers are:
1. Mark Buerhle
2. Gavin Floyd
3. John Danks
4. Javier Vazquez

With the fifth spot either open for Clayton Richard or another player aquirerd outside of the organization. IMO I would rather have Richard out in the bullpen polishing his skills being the long reliever or the second lefty to spell Thornton of the heavy work load that made him ineffective last August.

I would like for the Sox to have 5 starting pitchers that are reliable. Yes, I know that Ben Sheets is the complete opposite of reliable but his risk is worth the reward if we can keep him on the field. Having great starting pitching is a great way to have a great bullpen. To have all your pitchers coming out of the pen fresh would help the bullpen greatly.
Brad Penny is a pitcher who had a horrible year last year but started for the NL All Stars just over a year ago. Sheets is an ace with great stuff who can't seam to stay on the field. I would love to see Herm Schneider keep him healty and be an absolute stud for the White Sox but I know that would be a change for Sheets.

Both of these pitchers are buy low starters. Signing one would immediately give us a top 3 rotation. Javy is a VERY good number 5 starter.

I would give Sheets 2 years 34 million, 3 years 42 million or even 4 years 50 million. I would give Penny 3 years 39 million.

PalehosePlanet
11-05-2008, 08:33 PM

It depends on what his physical tests show. If there is nothing structurally wrong he'll get minimum 3/30 from someone.

Maybe the Dodgers know more about his injury. It seems to me that if he were okay they would be stupid not to pick up his 9.25 million option. They could have used him as trade bait if nothing else.

I personally would like us to acquire him; if healthy and if the price is right.

Daver
11-05-2008, 08:40 PM

You would be gullible enough to believe that.

Sad.

SoxNation05
11-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Brad Penny's option had just been declined by the Dodgers so he is now a FA.

What I want from the Sox is stability from the starting rotation.
As it stands are starting pitchers are:
1. Mark Buerhle
2. Gavin Floyd
3. John Danks
4. Javier Vazquez

With the fifth spot either open for Clayton Richard or another player aquirerd outside of the organization. IMO I would rather have Richard out in the bullpen polishing his skills being the long reliever or the second lefty to spell Thornton of the heavy work load that made him ineffective last August.

I would like for the Sox to have 5 starting pitchers that are reliable. Yes, I know that Ben Sheets is the complete opposite of reliable but his risk is worth the reward if we can keep him on the field. Having great starting pitching is a great way to have a great bullpen. To have all your pitchers coming out of the pen fresh would help the bullpen greatly.
Brad Penny is a pitcher who had a horrible year last year but started for the NL All Stars just over a year ago. Sheets is an ace with great stuff who can't seam to stay on the field. I would love to see Herm Schneider keep him healty and be an absolute stud for the White Sox but I know that would be a change for Sheets.

Both of these pitchers are buy low starters. Signing one would immediately give us a top 3 rotation. Javy is a VERY good number 5 starter.

I would give Sheets 2 years 34 million, 3 years 42 million or even 4 years 50 million. I would give Penny 3 years 39 million.
Yo Daver I thought this was very thread worthy?

thomas35forever
11-05-2008, 08:47 PM
I'll take either pitcher even though Penny will be coming off an off year. If it means Vazquez is gone, awesome.

SoxNation05
11-05-2008, 08:50 PM
I'll take either pitcher even though Penny will be coming off an off year. If it means Vazquez is gone, awesome.
So are you saying you would rather have Richard at number 5 and Vazquez's return over Vazquez?

btrain929
11-05-2008, 08:57 PM

Sad.

It's sad that you would be gullible enough to not know that both of our posts were teal-implied.

Lip Man 1
11-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Who is his agent?

Lip

Sockinchisox
11-05-2008, 09:30 PM
Who is his agent?

Lip

According to Cots, Greg Genske and Brian Peters.

the gooch
11-05-2008, 11:55 PM
Munch.

What is the most valuable commodity in all of baseball?I thought it was Roger Bossard.

BadBobbyJenks
11-06-2008, 02:23 AM
I thought it was Roger Bossard.

Sad.

Ziggy S
11-06-2008, 05:14 AM
I thought it was Roger Bossard.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/87/Napoleon_dynamite_post.jpg

It's grindiness, swagger, and passion. Don't you know that? Gosh!

ChiSoxFan81
11-06-2008, 11:03 AM
I'd trade a few million dollars for a Penny. :redneck

SoxfaninLA
11-06-2008, 11:17 AM
I would be very cautious about bringing Penny in. He has barely pitched since June and when he did pitch this year he was awful. His option was fairly reasonable for a guy of his talent (9.25 million), and if the Dodgers are walking away from that chances are it is because he has some shoulder surgery in his future. I wouldn't be opposed to signing him to a deal heavy on incentives, but I doubt he will go for that. Chances are someone will give him some decent money for more than a year, even if it's to get him some surgery and let him rehab and be ready at the All-Star break 2009 or Opening Day 2010.

Bill Naharodny
11-06-2008, 02:05 PM

Sad.

Sad.

MHOUSE
11-08-2008, 02:43 AM
I would stay miles away from Sheets and Penny. Both have talent galore, but they never stay healthy and would end up a very mediocre signing over the course of 3 or 4 years. Penny starts fast and fades badly in the second half. He was a Cy Young front-runner in 2007 before he fell apart in August and September. 2007 was also the first season he had gone over 200 innings and then he hardly lasted 2 months in 2008. This guy is just not durable and thus unable to maintain his talent over a full season.

Sheets is in the same boat. The guy is downright nasty when he's healthy and pitching well, but it's never lasted more than 8 or 10 starts before a nagging injury hits and pretty soon he's on the shelf for an extended period. He's never won more than 13 games in a season (this year) and is barely above .500 for his career. He hasn't thrown 200 innings since 2004 either.

We've been lucky to have durable guys over the last 3 years (10-15 wins, 200+ innings) like Garcia, Garland, Buehrle, Vazquez, and now Floyd (Danks was just under 200). I would like to sign guys you know are going to make 30 starts and give you a chance to win than waste money on big upside, big risk guys. I hate Javy's attitude, but the guy is very dependable and that's more than you can say for a lot of high profile pitchers.

BadBobbyJenks
11-08-2008, 07:56 AM
I would stay miles away from Sheets and Penny. Both have talent galore, but they never stay healthy and would end up a very mediocre signing over the course of 3 or 4 years. Penny starts fast and fades badly in the second half. He was a Cy Young front-runner in 2007 before he fell apart in August and September. 2007 was also the first season he had gone over 200 innings and then he hardly lasted 2 months in 2008. This guy is just not durable and thus unable to maintain his talent over a full season.

We've been lucky to have durable guys over the last 3 years (10-15 wins, 200+ innings) like Garcia, Garland, Buehrle, Vazquez, and now Floyd (Danks was just under 200). I would like to sign guys you know are going to make 30 starts and give you a chance to win than waste money on big upside, big risk guys. I hate Javy's attitude, but the guy is very dependable and that's more than you can say for a lot of high profile pitchers.

I thought the same thing about Penny in 2007, but I looked it up and he actually finished September with 4 out of 5 quality starts. Now that I look it up again 4 out of 5 in August as well. http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/gl.cgi?share=1&n1=pennybr01&year=2007&t=p#220:230:sum It is just that he started 13-1 and wasn't "as great" the final couple of months.

From 2005-2007 he started 29, 33 and 33 games. I would definitely be up for a 2 year incentive laden deal with a base of 6 million or so.

NLaloosh
11-08-2008, 08:40 AM
I'd much rather have Sheets than Penny. Sheets has better stuff, is a better pitcher, a tougher competitor, healthier and more reliable.

turners56
11-08-2008, 10:54 AM
I'd much rather have Sheets than Penny. Sheets has better stuff, is a better pitcher, a tougher competitor, healthier and more reliable.

No, not really. The last time Sheets went over 200 innings was 4 years ago. Before 2008, he didn't even make 30 starts in a season for three straight years.

Career-wise Penny hasn't been the healthiest either, but his recent history is better looking. Despite his injury-plagued 08, he had a career year in 07 where he started 33 games and also started 33 games in 06.

The biggest factor of all is money. Sheets is going to want $15 million a year, I don't think Penny's going to ask for anything close to that.

Konerko05
11-08-2008, 02:20 PM

There is no question Sheets is the more talented pitcher across the board. Just take a look at Sheets' 2004 season, the last time he was completely healthy. Penny couldn't dream of having that type of season.

Over the last 4 years, Penny has been healthier and more reliable. Although last season Sheets made 31 starts, and Penny only made 17. We need more information on Penny's injury and recovery from last season. There might be a reason the Dodgers did not pick up his option.

EuroSox35
11-08-2008, 08:51 PM
Honestly I'd rather have Pavano

Craig Grebeck
11-08-2008, 09:00 PM
Sweet Lord why?

turners56
11-08-2008, 09:39 PM

Ummm, what?

khan
11-10-2008, 12:38 PM

To do what, exactly?

If it's to be a pitcher for our SOX, I'm guessing you've been visiting a streetcorner pharmacy in Cal City...