PDA

View Full Version : Dellaero gets the WIN!

Randar68
05-20-2002, 10:32 AM
Jason Dellaero, Sox former #1 (16 overall) pick at SS has seemingly been moved to pitcher full-time. He got the win in releif last night for Birmingham at AA. He pitched 1 innings and gave up 2 hits and a run, but picked up the win.

In other news, Kris Honel and Ryan Wing formed a great 1-2 punch in a DH for Kannapolis last night. Honel went 7 IP, 4 H, 0 BB, 1 WP, and 6 K's to get the 1-0 win. Ryan Wing, last year's 2nd round pick, pitched 6 2/3 IP, giving up 4 H, 2 ER (both solo HR's), 1 BB, and 11 K's!!!!

Jon Rauch went 6 2/3 IP giving up 5 H, 4 ER, 2 HR, 2 BB, and 6 K's for Charlotte last night. LTP went 2-4 and Joe Crede DNP.

Also, Heath Phillips went 7 IP (CG of a DH) giving up only 2 H, 0 BB, and 4 K's in the 6-0 win.

Also of note: Batters are hitting only .190 off Kris Honel and he has a WHIP of 1.038

Vsahajpal
05-20-2002, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Jason Dellaero, Sox former #1 (16 overall) pick at SS has seemingly been moved to pitcher full-time. He got the win in releif last night for Birmingham at AA. He pitched 1 innings and gave up 2 hits and a run, but picked up the win.

Jason sounds thrilled

http://www.al.com/barons/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_standard.xsl?/base/sports/1021886257253510.xml

"It's an organizational decision," Dellaero said. "I didn't want to do it I still don't want to do it. I want to keep playing shortstop and I believe I can hit. But they think I can't. I just hope I get another shot (at short) somewhere else."

Soxheads
05-20-2002, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal

Jason sounds thrilled

http://www.al.com/barons/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/xml/story.ssf/html_standard.xsl?/base/sports/1021886257253510.xml

"It's an organizational decision," Dellaero said. "I didn't want to do it I still don't want to do it. I want to keep playing shortstop and I believe I can hit. But they think I can't. I just hope I get another shot (at short) somewhere else."

It makes me happy to see orgizational(sp?) players voicing themselves like this.

Daver
05-20-2002, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads

It makes me happy to see orgizational(sp?) players voicing themselves like this.

The guy is a failed first round pick who batted under .200 in two seasons in AAA,and is about to become a minor league FA to boot,so it is more a case of the organization giving up on him then the other way around.The Sox are willing to give him another chance as a pitcher,let's see what team snaps him up as a SS.My guess is none.

Randar68
05-21-2002, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by daver

The guy is a failed first round pick who batted under .200 in two seasons in AAA,and is about to become a minor league FA to boot,so it is more a case of the organization giving up on him then the other way around.The Sox are willing to give him another chance as a pitcher,let's see what team snaps him up as a SS.My guess is none.

He is an awesome fielder, but one that would make Royce look like Tony Gwynn. I doubt anyone would pick him up. Sounds like Parque must have gotten inside his head...LOL...

Seriously, though, his agent or a family member needs to get in his ear. If he is to ever become a major league player and realize his baseball dream, it's as a pitcher. The Sox are probably the only team willing to sign him beyond this year and even then only as a pitcher. Drop the ego, and get your ass on the mound Jason.

Soxheads
05-21-2002, 10:02 AM

If he is to ever become a major league player and realize his baseball dream, it's as a pitcher.

I doubt even that. There are just too many better natural pitchers.

Soxboyrob
05-21-2002, 10:20 AM

He is an awesome fielder, but one that would make Royce look like Tony Gwynn. I doubt anyone would pick him up. Sounds like Parque must have gotten inside his head...LOL...

What am I missing in regards to his defense? Every time I've watched him, he's looked slick, yet made errors with regularity. I know he has 4 errors in just 11 games with the Sox. I also think I recall him being errorprone in spring training both of the last two years. I assume he's had excellent success playing defense in the minors and has maybe had butterflies when playing at the major league level. He hasn't hit anyway, so it hasn't really mattered.

Soxheads
05-21-2002, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob

He hasn't hit anyway, so it hasn't really mattered.

:hitless
"I already have the non-hitting shortstop position solidified, anyway."

Randar68
05-21-2002, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Soxheads

:hitless
"I already have the non-hitting shortstop position solidified, anyway."

Hummel will solve our problems at SS, I believe. If he turns his offense around in the second half, he may be starting next year if there is baseball.

In 2003, we could have a new 2B, 3B, and SS. While I admit we are "going for a Championship" and we won't be able to win one with 3 rookies on the IF, I think we need to make the move at some point. The future of this team lies in those hands. If Willie need another year at 2nd, Jose can play there. However, the way the 3 who play these positions now are hitting, the replacements will be an improvement all-around. Add to this LTP, and you have 4 players who should be starters as rookies next year. Not that they will be, but they should.

We should get these guys out there NOW! We can still win the division without 15 millions dollars worth of stiffs on the IF. At this point, with our pitching, the division is what we should be aiming for.