PDA

View Full Version : Shopping Swisher?

thomas35forever
11-04-2008, 04:29 PM
My friend just heard on ESPN that the Sox are shopping Dirty 30. Think we can get a starter or a speedster for him?

btrain929
11-04-2008, 04:35 PM
I guarantee we are not "shopping" him. Now, if teams want to come with us to offers, that's another thing. But it would be completely dumb to "shop" him after the kind of year he just had.

thomas35forever
11-04-2008, 04:37 PM
I guarantee we are not "shopping" him. Now, if teams want to come with us to offers, that's another thing. But it would be completely dumb to "shop" him after the kind of year he just had.
The type of year he had might be debatable among Sox fans.

btrain929
11-04-2008, 04:39 PM
The type of year he had might be debatable among Sox fans.

How is it debatable? His year was bad, period. And it would be extremely dumb to buy so high, only to sell so low.

thomas35forever
11-04-2008, 04:47 PM
The same friend just offered Sean Marshall, Rich Hill, and Felix Pie for him. How about no?

getonbckthr
11-04-2008, 04:51 PM
The same friend just offered Sean Marshall, Rich Hill, and Felix Pie for him. How about no?
Sean Marshall, once given the oppertunity to start for a full season will be a solid middle to back of the rotation pitcher.

JermaineDye05
11-04-2008, 04:59 PM
I'm not ready to give up Swisher, I feel this season will be a breakout one for him. Pauly will most likely be traded and swish moved to 1st.

I honestly think Swish's 2009 numbers will be somewhere around:

.260ish 35 HR's 90-100 RBI's OBP of .360

hi im skot
11-04-2008, 05:05 PM
I'm not ready to give up Swisher, I feel this season will be a breakout one for him. Pauly will most likely be traded and swish moved to 1st.

I honestly think Swish's 2009 numbers will be somewhere around:

.260ish 35 HR's 90-100 RBI's OBP of .360

What makes you say that?

JermaineDye05
11-04-2008, 05:12 PM
What makes you say that?

I honestly feel that part of Swisher's slump had to do with moving from a rather small market team in the A's to a big market team in the White Sox. Not to mention moving from Oakland which isn't nearly as big of a baseball town as Chicago. Also throwing in the fact that he was playing out of position a lot, he played a lot of games in Centerfield and he was jumbled in the lineup a lot. I remember after Pauly went down and Ozzie started putting Swisher at first on a regular basis, he started to hit a hot streak.

Basically it's just a gut feeling that he's gonna have a pretty solid season next year.

areilly
11-04-2008, 05:18 PM
Also throwing in the fact that he was playing out of position a lot, he played a lot of games in Centerfield and he was jumbled in the lineup a lot. I remember after Pauly went down and Ozzie started putting Swisher at first on a regular basis, he started to hit a hot streak.

Swisher at 1B: .198/.309/.377 in 162 at-bats
Swisher as CF: .243/.369/.432 in 268 at-bats

If there's a hot streak buried in there, I'm going to cry.

JermaineDye05
11-04-2008, 05:22 PM

hahaha wow I have egg on my face....:redface:

I still have a gut feeling he's gonna have a solid season next year. You can quote me on that right now. If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it after next season.

Daver
11-04-2008, 05:24 PM
I guarantee we are not "shopping" him.

I love it when armchair GM's make statements like this.

It cracks me up.

dickallen15
11-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Unless the Sox trade either Konerko or Dye, Swisher really doesn't have a place to play because they really don't want to put him in CF anymore. Why wouldn't they shop him? They might as well see if someone would give up something useful for him.

Hoping for a turnaround in 2009 and getting one are 2 different things. Let's face it, Ozzie would rather use Wise than Swisher. That says a lot.

hi im skot
11-04-2008, 05:29 PM
I honestly feel that part of Swisher's slump had to do with moving from a rather small market team in the A's to a big market team in the White Sox. Not to mention moving from Oakland which isn't nearly as big of a baseball town as Chicago. Also throwing in the fact that he was playing out of position a lot, he played a lot of games in Centerfield and he was jumbled in the lineup a lot. I remember after Pauly went down and Ozzie started putting Swisher at first on a regular basis, he started to hit a hot streak.

Basically it's just a gut feeling that he's gonna have a pretty solid season next year.

I meant what makes you think Konerko's gone?

hi im skot
11-04-2008, 05:52 PM
I love it when 98% of your posts don't contribute anything to the actual topic of the thread :rolleyes:.

How about this: I guaranteed Nick Swisher is NOT traded this offseason. I'll put money on it. Let me know if you want in, old man...

:rolling:

JermaineDye05
I meant what makes you think Konerko's gone?

Ha woops, I neglected to read the bold.

I just feel of all the "base clogs", he's the most likely to move. I think the Sox would rather use Swish at first than in the outfield. Plus considering Pauly's last month of the season was pretty good so his value probably went up a bit after dropping a ton during the season.

munchman33
I love it when 98% of your posts don't contribute anything to the actual topic of the thread :rolleyes:.

How about this: I guaranteed Nick Swisher is NOT traded this offseason. I'll put money on it. Let me know if you want in, old man...

HEY!! What the ****. Seriously. You leave the ridiculous speculation to me. Understood?

This is your only warning.

areilly
11-04-2008, 05:59 PM
hahaha wow I have egg on my face....:redface:

I still have a gut feeling he's gonna have a solid season next year. You can quote me on that right now. If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it after next season.

No, it's an honest mistake - when a guy's hitting .198, everything looks like a hot streak.

TDog
11-04-2008, 06:03 PM

Swisher had a down season with Oakland before coming to the Sox. People still love him in NoCal because he was such a great guy, but a segment of the A's fan base (which seems bigger in the Central Valley north of Fresno than in the Bay Area) were turning on him because he was showing he was not an RBI guy and seemed in it for the walks. He played more games at center than anyone on the A's in 2007, but he moved around a lot, both on defense and in the batting order. With the Sox, I think Swisher's hot streak was coincidental to his regular play at first base. He stopped hitting before Konerko came back.

Of course, I was disappointed when the Sox traded for Swisher. I saw no reason to believe he would hit for the Sox, and I see no reason to believe he will have a solid season with the Sox next year.

I think Swisher would do better playing elsewhere. Whether the Sox are shopping him, and I think it would be great if they were, especially if any baseball people employed by other teams have feelings in their guts that Swisher will have a pretty good season next year, remains to be seen.

Brian26
11-04-2008, 06:43 PM

I'll take some of that action. I would not be surprised in the least if Swisher is traded.

Daver
11-04-2008, 06:59 PM

What does a guarantee from someone that has no connection with the team actually add?

Brian26
11-04-2008, 07:09 PM

By the way, I can attest that Daver is not a day over 60 years old.

munchman33
11-04-2008, 07:21 PM
What does a guarantee from someone that has no connection with the team actually add?

comic relief.

btrain929
11-04-2008, 08:21 PM

It adds the same thing as me telling people were not signing CC, were not bringing Garland back, and were not trading for ARod: reality.

btrain929
11-04-2008, 08:22 PM
I'll take some of that action. I would not be surprised in the least if Swisher is traded.

Well let me know the stakes and let the games begin :D:

btrain929
11-04-2008, 08:23 PM
HEY!! What the ****. Seriously. You leave the ridiculous speculation to me. Understood?

This is your only warning.

LOL, noted.

Daver
11-04-2008, 08:29 PM
It adds the same thing as me telling people were not signing CC, were not bringing Garland back, and were not trading for ARod: reality.

I'm not even remotely convinced that you can even percieve the line between reality and fantasy baseball.

btrain929
11-04-2008, 08:31 PM
I'm not even remotely convinced that you can even percieve the line between reality and fantasy baseball.

You're right. I can't percieve the line between reality and fantasy baseball, but I sure can perceive it.

Daver
11-04-2008, 08:38 PM
You're right. I can't percieve the line between reality and fantasy baseball, but I sure can perceive it.

When all else fails, playing the spelling police is always a good, intelligent move.

btrain929
11-04-2008, 08:45 PM
When all else fails, playing the spelling police is always a good, intelligent move.

1) If I need tips on intelligent moves, you won't be exhibit A, trust me.
2) Answer me this (which I'm sure you won't): how does me stating that we're not signing CC, not bringing back Garland, and not trading Swisher (all threads that have been started on this site) have ANYTHING to do with fantasy baseball?? :?:

11-04-2008, 08:52 PM
2) Answer me this (which I'm sure you won't): how does me stating that we're not signing CC, not bringing back Garland, and not trading Swisher (all threads that have been started on this site) have ANYTHING to do with fantasy baseball?? :?:

Just let Daver win, it's apparent he needs it.

Daver
11-04-2008, 08:53 PM

1) Thank you, I would prefer not having the association.

2) You tell me, you're the one throwing around guarantees like you own the team.

btrain929
11-04-2008, 08:55 PM

2) You tell me, you're the one throwing around guarantees like you own the team.

Shocking response.

JermaineDye05
11-04-2008, 09:11 PM

1) Thank you, I would prefer not having the association.

Hey, hey. Are we gonna have to separate you two?!

Brian26
11-04-2008, 09:13 PM
Well let me know the stakes and let the games begin :D:

I'll bet you a churro and $5 in Comiskey Cash that Swisher is gone by Opening Day.

puckereduppiet
11-04-2008, 09:15 PM

162 AB is this for the whole 08 season. I think JermainDye05 was referring to the time Swisher was starting 1B 6-15/7-6 games when Konerko was on the DL.

beasly213
11-04-2008, 09:18 PM
If the Sox get rid of Swisher there is going to be a lot of people with some worthless "30" "Swisher" jerseys. :redneck

Lukin13
11-04-2008, 09:20 PM
Hey, hey. Are we gonna have to separate you two?!

No, the moderator that layed into someone for being an "armchair GM" in the damn "WTS" forum needs to lay off.

btrain929
11-04-2008, 09:30 PM
I'll bet you a churro and $5 in Comiskey Cash that Swisher is gone by Opening Day.

Is the Comiskey Cash redeemable for strawberry margaritas and/or one of those big foam White Sox incredible hulk hands? If so, deal.

Sockinchisox
11-04-2008, 11:33 PM
Swisher is indeed being shopped.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-05-gm-meetings-soxnov05,0,7236960.story

Taveras is a target, and a Konerko trade in unlikely.

sox1970
11-04-2008, 11:41 PM
Swisher is indeed being shopped.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-05-gm-meetings-soxnov05,0,7236960.story

Taveras is a target, and a Konerko trade in unlikely.

Dye or Swisher will be traded. I like that KW ruled out Swisher as the CF next year. Encouraging.

Craig Grebeck
11-04-2008, 11:52 PM
Yuck. If you guys believe these journalists have any credibility or insight into the organization, look at this article. Complete horsehit.

btrain929
11-05-2008, 12:20 AM
Yuck. If you guys believe these journalists have any credibility or insight into the organization, look at this article. Complete horsehit.

+1.

I was hesitant to read it when I saw it was from Van Dyke, who thinks a Peavy deal is possible with Pie and Cedeno as centerpieces.

My prediction is Dye is traded, Swisher is moved to RF, and Taveras is brought in for CF. The Dye trade can help us at 3B, SP, bullpen, and maybe 2B. He's on our books for more money, and can bring us a greater return than Swisher.

And before Daver gets his old man Pampers in a bunch, this is all my prediction........no guarantees this time, mmkay? :D:

BadBobbyJenks
11-05-2008, 12:27 AM
Bruce Levine says Kenny is shopping Javy and Swisher... It must be true!

Taliesinrk
11-05-2008, 12:59 AM
I don't like that we're giving up on Swisher so quickly. I realize, "Where's he gonna play"... I don't know, but it seems like this could be an awful move in retrospect, because of who we gave up for Swisher.

4 points
11-05-2008, 06:45 AM

I blame it on carpal tunnel from throwing to many cream pies.:bandance:

4 points
11-05-2008, 06:46 AM

Give me Hendry`s number, NOW!:)

The Immigrant
11-05-2008, 09:29 AM
Yuck. If you guys believe these journalists have any credibility or insight into the organization, look at this article.

Every once in a while I wonder how it is possible for the newspaper industry to be in such a death spiral. Then an article like this comes along and it all makes sense.

russ99
11-05-2008, 10:42 AM
I actually see both sides of this argument:

1. Swisher had a poor season and the prospects we sent to the A's haven't exactly worked out in their favor either, so egg on face for Kenny is minimized. Swisher also has good trade value and doesn't have a place to play unless Dye or Konerko are moved.

2. Typical under the radar move by Kenny, a sleight of hand to gauge interest before making the real move of trading Konerko to the west coast, and then moving Swisher to 1B permanently. As bad a season that Swisher had, Paul had a worse one and may welcome a change of scenery. He also can't be very happy that Walker is back for 2009.

khan
11-05-2008, 12:24 PM
I actually see both sides of this argument:

1. Swisher had a poor season and the prospects we sent to the A's haven't exactly worked out in their favor either, so egg on face for Kenny is minimized.
Agreed.

Swisher also has good trade value
HEAVILY disagreed.

and doesn't have a place to play unless Dye or Konerko are moved.
Agreed.

a sleight of hand to gauge interest
Agreed.

before making the real move of trading Konerko to the west coast, and then moving Swisher to 1B permanently.
Disagreed. Unfortunately, it will be far easier to move Dye than it will be to move Konerko. This, due to Dye's/Konerko's performance last season, their salaries, and their tradeability due to NTC/5 & 10 statuses.

I say "unfortunately," because I believe that Dye is more likely to perform at a high level in 2009 than Konerko. And I say "unfortunately," because I'd rather have Dye in the SOX than Konerko in 2009. But I believe that Dye will be gone before Opening Day.

As bad a season that Swisher had, Paul had a worse one and may welcome a change of scenery. He also can't be very happy that Walker is back for 2009.
I don't think this has anything to do with it at all. Actually, Konerko had a better year than Swisher, and I don't think that Konerko has a problem with Walker.

jabrch
11-05-2008, 01:05 PM
The term "shopping" is vague. I imagine every single player is available, including Swisher. Some would be much less likely to move (Floyd/Danks/CQ) but I don't see anyone who is truly untouchable.

CashMan
11-05-2008, 01:12 PM
I don't see anyone who is truly untouchable.

Joe Borchard?

Craig Grebeck
11-05-2008, 01:37 PM
The term "shopping" is vague. I imagine every single player is available, including Swisher. Some would be much less likely to move (Floyd/Danks/CQ) but I don't see anyone who is truly untouchable.
I'd say Danks/Quentin fit the bill.

PalehosePlanet
11-05-2008, 08:23 PM

Complete crap is right. It's particularly illogical when Van Dyck keeps mentioning that Vazquez has a bad contract and that we could only score Lugo or Castillo for him because they also have bad contracts. What a complete joke! How does a guy at 2/23 have a bad contract when he is very capable of being a solid mid-rotaion pitcher? Especially when the market dictates that Carlos Silva makes more and that Garland will make more also.

I know many people hate Javy around here, but he does not have a bad contract AT ALL.

Sockinchisox
11-05-2008, 09:25 PM
Kevin Davidoff's latest blog says the Yankees are interested in Swisher if they can't land Teixeria. He also says the Sox aren't looking to unload Swisher or Vazquez.

http://blogs.trb.com/sports/baseball/blog/2008/11/gms_meetings_wrapping_up_wedne.html

JermaineDye05
11-05-2008, 09:28 PM
Kevin Davidoff's latest blog says the Yankees are interested in Swisher if they can't land Teixeria. He also says the Sox aren't looking to unload Swisher or Vazquez.

http://blogs.trb.com/sports/baseball/blog/2008/11/gms_meetings_wrapping_up_wedne.html

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/sports/photos/2008/05/16/392williams_kenny080220ap.jpg

"Quite frankly, this is starting to piss me off."

btrain929
11-05-2008, 09:36 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/sports/photos/2008/05/16/392williams_kenny080220ap.jpg

"Quite frankly, this is starting to piss me off."

Hahaha, yes!