PDA

View Full Version : 2009 White Sox watch list

SoxNation05
11-03-2008, 05:54 PM
Players the Sox may go after, are rumored too or would be a good fit for the White Sox this offseason.
Post players who you think I missed.
C
Henry Blanco
Miguel Olivo (Royals)
2B
Orlando Hudson
Mark Grudzielenik
Jerry Hairston Jr
David Eckstein
3B
Chone Figgins
Garret Atkins
Adrian Beltre
Hank Blalock
SS
Rafael Furcal
Outfielders
Rocco Baldelli
Juan Pierre
Coco Crisp
Willy Taveras
Starting Pitchers
Jon Garland
Edwin Jackson
Ben Sheets
Derek Lowe
Brad Penny
Relief Pitchers
Arthur Rhodes
Trever Miller
Juan Cruz

Green= Free Agent Red= Trade Blue= Signed

JermaineDye05
11-03-2008, 06:04 PM
Players the Sox may go after, are rumored too or would be a good fit for the White Sox this offseason.
C
Henry Blanco
Miguel Olivo
2B
Orlando Hudson
Mark Grudzielenik
Jerry Hairston Jr
David Eckstein
3B
Chone Figgins
Garret Atkins
Adrian Beltre
Hank Blalock
SS
Rafael Furcal
Outfielders
Rocco Baldelli
Juan Pierre
Coco Crisp
Willy Taveras
Starting Pitchers
Jon Garland
Edwin Jackson
Ben Sheets
Derek Lowe
Relief Pitchers
Arthur Rhodes
Trever Miller
Juan Cruz

Green= Free Agent Red= Trade

You forgot Jake Peavy, Ichiro, Hanley Ramirez, Johan Santana, and the second coming of Christ.

Bobby Thigpen
11-03-2008, 06:05 PM
and the second coming of Christ.
Can't hit a curve ball.

turners56
11-03-2008, 06:19 PM
C
Henry Blanco
Miguel Olivo
2B
Orlando Hudson
Mark Grudzielenik
Jerry Hairston Jr
David Eckstein
3B
Chone Figgins
Garret Atkins
Adrian Beltre
Hank Blalock
SS
Rafael Furcal
Outfielders
Rocco Baldelli
Juan Pierre
Coco Crisp
Willy Taveras
Starting Pitchers
Jon Garland
Edwin Jackson
Ben Sheets
Derek Lowe
Relief Pitchers
Arthur Rhodes
Trever Miller
Juan Cruz

Green= Free Agent Red= Trade

I highlighted the players that I think would fit.

I think Grudzalanek would be a second option at 2B if we can't sign Hudson and Getz would have a chance to either platoon with Grudz at 2B.

I don't like either of the catchers, Olivo is more talented, but is also a nutcase. Blanco wouldn't be a bad choice.

I'd really like to get Figgins, that way, you solve two problems. However, if we can get Beltre, that would also be nice.

Furcal is a longshot, considering we'd have to cough up a ton of money.

I think buying low on Taveras or getting a expendable Crisp from Boston are both good moves for the Sox. Both can play D, run a bit, and hit decently.

I've also stated that I'd like to sign a guy like Cruz to make our already good bullpen even deeper.

hellview
11-03-2008, 06:34 PM
Sweet ****ing christ why is Juan Pierre on that list?

turners56
11-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Sweet ****ing christ why is Juan Pierre on that list?

Cause we love fast, over-paid, weak-armed outfielders who can't hit.

Taveras is basically the same thing, but without the over-paid part.

soxfanreggie
11-03-2008, 06:47 PM
I stated in a previous thread that Grudzielanek would be a good choice, even could come in as a super-sub like Uribe because he can hit for a good average and can play 2nd, short, and 3rd.

JGarlandrules20
11-03-2008, 06:47 PM
The Royals and Olivo agreed to exercise their mutual option, so it looks like he'll be staying in KC.

JUribe1989
11-03-2008, 06:51 PM
Cause we love fast, over-paid, weak-armed outfielders who can't hit.

Taveras is basically the same thing, but without the over-paid part.

Taveras easily has one of the strongest arms in the majors, 10 assists led the league in '05. 32 career assists. Don't knock that man's arm.

hi im skot
11-03-2008, 07:29 PM
This list is brutal.

kittle42
11-03-2008, 07:34 PM
This list is brutal.

You can't spend a dollar when you only have 50 cents. Of course, for 50 cents, you could probably acquire half that list.

SoxNation05
11-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Well what do you guys expect Kenny Williams to do? Bitch and moan, what are your solutions?

jabrch
11-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Well what do you guys expect Kenny Williams to do? Bitch and moan, what are your solutions?

For many folks, bitching and moaning IS their solution.

SoxNation05
11-03-2008, 07:46 PM
For many folks, bitching and moaning IS their solution.
Where is there a great fit that we can afford aside from Orlando Hudson and Chone Figgins?

turners56
11-03-2008, 07:47 PM
Taveras easily has one of the strongest arms in the majors, 10 assists led the league in '05. 32 career assists. Don't knock that man's arm.

:redface: I forgot to mention the arm part.

turners56
11-03-2008, 07:50 PM
C
Henry Blanco
Miguel Olivo
2B
Orlando Hudson
Mark Grudzielenik (Signed Royals)
Jerry Hairston Jr
David Eckstein
3B
Chone Figgins
Garret Atkins
Adrian Beltre
Hank Blalock
SS
Rafael Furcal
Outfielders
Rocco Baldelli
Juan Pierre
Coco Crisp
Willy Taveras
Starting Pitchers
Jon Garland
Edwin Jackson
Ben Sheets
Derek Lowe
Relief Pitchers
Arthur Rhodes
Trever Miller
Juan Cruz

Green= Free Agent Red= Trade Blue= Signed

Grudzielenik didn't re-sign. Olivo did.

hi im skot
11-03-2008, 08:58 PM

I have no idea what KW is going to do, but I sure as hell hope he isn't using your list as guidance.

David Eckstein? Taveras? Hairston? Rhodes?

:rolling:

turners56
11-03-2008, 09:01 PM
I have no idea what KW is going to do, but I sure as hell hope he isn't using your list as guidance.

David Eckstein? Taveras? Hairston? Rhodes?

:rolling:

He'll get Eckstein, only because he's a grinder. Eckstein will be the second coming of Aaron Rowand.

And please, if we somehow do, put him at second base. The guy has no arm.

tm1119
11-03-2008, 09:14 PM
really dont see why people are acting like this team needs to make some huge splash this off season. Yeah our core isnt as young as one would like but its a very solid core for at least another 2 years. All we need to do is add some key role players such as the ones listed and we can expect the same results as this year. We just obviously need to play better in the playoffs and hopefully not run into another team as hot as the Rays were.

areilly
11-03-2008, 10:10 PM
really dont see why people are acting like this team needs to make some huge splash this off season. Yeah our core isnt as young as one would like but its a very solid core for at least another 2 years. All we need to do is add some key role players such as the ones listed and we can expect the same results as this year. We just obviously need to play better in the playoffs and hopefully not run into another team as hot as the Rays were.

Just curious who who'd consider the core. If you mean CQ, Alexei, Danks and Floyd I'm with you, but if you mean A.J., JD, Thome and PK I'd be terrified for at least the two next years.

Britt Burns
11-04-2008, 01:51 PM
The odds of garland comng back are...um, small, to say the least. Ain't happening.

NLaloosh
11-04-2008, 02:01 PM
My guess is that Kenny Williams brings the Sox new players that we aren't thinking of.

Recent trade examples - Gavin Floyd, John Danks, Carlos Quentin, Matt Thornton, Nick Swisher, Jim Thome, Javier Vazquez etc.

Recent signings- A.J., Alexei Ramirez, Linebrink, Dotel, Bobby Jenks etc.

His moves are rarely the obvious ones and rarely signaled in advance.

When they are, they usually don't happen - Torii Hunter, Rowand,Fukudome, Brian Roberts etc. That's why he's so tight lipped and spinning misdirection.

Therefore, it's very doubtful that the Sox end up with some if any of the players on that list. It'll most likely be players out of the blue to us.

Soxfest
11-04-2008, 04:37 PM
Sox do not want Garland back at all!

guillen4life13
11-04-2008, 05:10 PM
My guess is that Kenny Williams brings the Sox new players that we aren't thinking of.

Recent trade examples - Gavin Floyd, John Danks, Carlos Quentin, Matt Thornton, Nick Swisher, Jim Thome, Javier Vazquez etc.

Recent signings- A.J., Alexei Ramirez, Linebrink, Dotel, Bobby Jenks etc.

His moves are rarely the obvious ones and rarely signaled in advance.

When they are, they usually don't happen - Torii Hunter, Rowand,Fukudome, Brian Roberts etc. That's why he's so tight lipped and spinning misdirection.

Therefore, it's very doubtful that the Sox end up with some if any of the players on that list. It'll most likely be players out of the blue to us.

There are exceptions. Bartolo Colon, David Wells, etc. But yeah, in general he pulls some very unexpected moves.

tm1119
11-04-2008, 07:40 PM
Just curious who who'd consider the core. If you mean CQ, Alexei, Danks and Floyd I'm with you, but if you mean A.J., JD, Thome and PK I'd be terrified for at least the two next years.

Konerko and Dye will be 33 and 34 which is not exactly old in baseball terms, especially for a sluggers. They will continue to put up their usual .275 30 90 #'s. If you can find me a better 1B and RF at the same price or less then fine. Obviously we wanna start to look to replace them in the future through the farm system but they are more than good enough for this team to compete.
And I would also put Buehrle in that group. He is a very solid # 3 guy behind Danks and Floyd.
Not to mention our key bullpen guys who are very important. Jenks, Linebrink, Thorton, and Dotel.
This team does not have as many holes as people here are making it out to have.

chisox616
11-04-2008, 09:19 PM
What's everyone's problem with Willy Taveras btw? I'm not defending the guy; I'm not a stat kind of person and I haven't followed his career that profusely, so I'm not capable of doing that. I'm just curious.

He was on two WS teams (granted, with both teams being in the NL, starting off poorly and making a crazy run towards the end, and ended up being swept in the WS) but I never saw anything that would discourage me from wanting to see him on the Sox. .283 BA, 169 SB, still relatively young.

Still, I doubt he'll be our leadoff guy next year, I don't think we have the right pieces to trade for him, I'm just wondering.

btrain929
11-04-2008, 09:24 PM
What's everyone's problem with Willy Taveras btw? I'm not defending the guy; I'm not a stat kind of person and I haven't followed his career that profusely, so I'm not capable of doing that. I'm just curious.

He was on two WS teams (granted, with both teams being in the NL, starting off poorly and making a crazy run towards the end, and ended up being swept in the WS) but I never saw anything that would discourage me from wanting to see him on the Sox. .283 BA, 169 SB, still relatively young.

Still, I doubt he'll be our leadoff guy next year, I don't think we have the right pieces to trade for him, I'm just wondering.

I heard the bounty for him would not be much at all. There's even been word about non-tendering him since they have plenty of OF options there already. If we want him, we can have him.

chisox616
11-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Actually come to think of it you're right. He's coming off a not so stellar year and Kenny does like to buy low. We'll see I guess.

hellview
11-04-2008, 09:44 PM
what's everyone's problem with willy taveras btw? I'm not defending the guy; i'm not a stat kind of person and i haven't followed his career that profusely, so i'm not capable of doing that. I'm just curious.

He was on two ws teams (granted, with both teams being in the nl, starting off poorly and making a crazy run towards the end, and ended up being swept in the ws) but i never saw anything that would discourage me from wanting to see him on the sox. .283 ba, 169 sb, still relatively young.

still, i doubt he'll be our leadoff guy next year, i don't think we have the right pieces to trade for him, i'm just wondering.

.331 opb!!!

btrain929
11-04-2008, 10:13 PM
.331 opb!!!

And, even scarier....

.331 obp!!!

chisox616
11-04-2008, 10:36 PM
Ouch. Well I guess we'll see what KW does, then.

Lip Man 1
11-05-2008, 11:34 AM
According to a story in the Tribune today, Tavares might be had for a young pitcher aka Broadway.

Lip

khan
11-05-2008, 11:38 AM
According to a story in the Tribune today, Tavares might be had for a young pitcher aka Broadway.

Lip
I think I'd take that deal...

Its still early in his career, but I somehow don't think that Broadway will ever become anything of note.

btrain929
11-05-2008, 11:41 AM

Lip

Too bad everything else I've seen in the paper about the Sox has been garbage, I think this would be too good to be true.

tm1119
11-05-2008, 05:34 PM
Just throwin this trade out there because it makes a lot of sense. Javy for Coco Crisp and Julio Lugo(maybe we'd throw in a midlevel prospect or somethin too)?
What would you guys think of this?

turners56
11-05-2008, 05:52 PM
Just throwin this trade out there because it makes a lot of sense. Javy for Coco Crisp and Julio Lugo(maybe we'd throw in a midlevel prospect or somethin too)?

Lugo is a below average player who has a very undeserving contract. I like Crisp though. I don't think Boston would give up those players for Vazquez. I don't think Javy is the kind of pitcher they need.

btrain929
11-05-2008, 06:18 PM

Julio Lugo is bad, and gets paid alot of money to be bad. I wouldn't mind Crisp, but we wouldn't need to give up 1 of our 4 SP's to get him.

Zisk77
11-05-2008, 06:18 PM
I much rather have Javy than those 2.

hi im skot
11-05-2008, 06:33 PM

Lugo is a scumbag. Crisp sucks.

I'll keep Javy.

tm1119
11-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Wow no one seems to be good enough for you guys. With possibly the worst farm system in all of baseball and no expendable players of good value to trade who the hell do you guys really expect to get this offseason? Kenny is good is but hes not a miracle worker.

veeter
11-05-2008, 07:24 PM
Wow no one seems to be good enough for you guys. With possibly the worst farm system in all of baseball and no expendable players of good value to trade who the hell do you guys really expect to get this offseason? Kenny is good is but hes not a miracle worker.Aquisitions: Carlos Quentin, Gavin Floud, John Danks, Alexei Ramirez...Kenny's not a miracle worker?

SoxNation05
11-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Aquisitions: Carlos Quentin, Gavin Floud, John Danks, Alexei Ramirez...Kenny's not a miracle worker?
I agree.

tm1119
11-05-2008, 07:53 PM
Aquisitions: Carlos Quentin, Gavin Floud, John Danks, Alexei Ramirez...Kenny's not a miracle worker?

Quentin was traded for our only good hitting prospect
Floyd was traded for a still healthy Garcia
Danks was traded for a top notch pitching prospect in McCarthy
and Alexi was signed and we just dont have much cap room to work with.

Dont act like we stole those players. Despite how they worked out in the end we gave up some good players at the time. So unless we trade somebody like Podera or Beckham, Javy is just about our only real peice to offer other teams. And who knows what his value is like right now.

Not trying to be a dick or anything but we need to be realistic here.

BadBobbyJenks
11-05-2008, 08:09 PM

Dont act like we stole those players. Despite how they worked out in the end we gave up some good players at the time. So unless we trade somebody like Podera or Beckham, Javy is just about our only real peice to offer other teams. And who knows what his value is like right now.

Ah yes the legend of Chris Carter.

btrain929
11-05-2008, 08:32 PM

Ugghhh jeez where to start:

Bold 1: Garcia's velocity was down tremendously at the end of '06. Plus, he was in his contract year. So no, we weren't going to fetch a huge return for someone in his state physically or contractually.
Bold 2: Maybe he was top notch for our farm system, but not a top notch prospect in baseball. He was glorified by 1 good start in '05, but the truth is had a straight fastball, and underwhelming curveball.
Bold 3: I don't even know what this means, this isn't basketball/football.
Bold 4: Yes we did steal these players. There were 20-something other teams out there that could have traded for these same players, but they didn't. Floyd was a headcase who nobody wanted to touch with a 10 ft pole. Danks was coming off of back-to-back minor league seasons of 4+ ERA's. Quentin has already had 2 surguries and came off a poor '07 campaign. Alexei didn't impress scouts of other teams as much as they were expecting.

So if you want to be realistic, then realistically all the other GM's in baseball could have went after and traded for these guys, but they didn't and KW did. Stop acting like he shouldn't get any credit for these moves, cuz that's what your post was doing.

tm1119
11-05-2008, 08:41 PM
Ugghhh jeez where to start:

Bold 1: Garcia's velocity was down tremendously at the end of '06. Plus, he was in his contract year. So no, we weren't going to fetch a huge return for someone in his state physically or contractually.
Bold 2: Maybe he was top notch for our farm system, but not a top notch prospect in baseball. He was glorified by 1 good start in '05, but the truth is had a straight fastball, and underwhelming curveball.
Bold 3: I don't even know what this means, this isn't basketball/football.
Bold 4: Yes we did steal these players. There were 20-something other teams out there that could have traded for these same players, but they didn't. Floyd was a headcase who nobody wanted to touch with a 10 ft pole. Danks was coming off of back-to-back minor league seasons of 4+ ERA's. Quentin has already had 2 surguries and came off a poor '07 campaign. Alexei didn't impress scouts of other teams as much as they were expecting.

So if you want to be realistic, then realistically all the other GM's in baseball could have went after and traded for these guys, but they didn't and KW did. Stop acting like he shouldn't get any credit for these moves, cuz that's what your post was doing.

I disagree with some of your points but ill let that pass. Im not saying that these werent good moves or trying to take any credit away from Kenny. Im just saying that you have to give up something to get something and we simply dont have anything to trade right now. Everytime someone here mentions the Sox getting a player that isnt all-star quality people here turn up their noses and disregard that player. I would just like to know if the players posted in this thread arent good enough then who are we gonna get and who the hell are we gonna give up to these players?