PDA

View Full Version : You foggies Mccudy and o"briens

soxwon
11-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Ayone have any good stories about Mccudys and O'Briens across from old Comiskey. I was at both maybe 10-12 times, when was the last year of these pubs?

Nellie_Fox
11-04-2008, 12:59 AM
I may be a fogy, but I'm not yet foggy.

PaleHoser
11-04-2008, 11:57 AM
Construction on the Cell began in 1989, so both McCuddy's and O'Brien's met the wrecking ball just before the 1989 season began.

I have a copy of Larry Weintraub's column from The Sun-Times when McCuddy's was torn down. Governor Thompson and the city both promised that McCuddy's would be rebuilt right across the street from the new park. And politicians wonder why we don't trust them...

I used to love going to McCuddy's after a Sunday game. They'd serve cold beers that had been put on ice in galvanized steel wash tubs. I don't think I've ever had colder beer and after a hot afternoon in the center field bleachers it really hit the spot. :gulp:

Steelrod
11-04-2008, 12:00 PM
Construction on the Cell began in 1989, so both McCuddy's and O'Brien's met the wrecking ball just before the 1989 season began.

I have a copy of Larry Weintraub's column from The Sun-Times when McCuddy's was torn down. Governor Thompson and the city both promised that McCuddy's would be rebuilt right across the street from the new park. And politicians wonder why we don't trust them...

I used to love going to McCuddy's after a Sunday game. They'd serve cold beers that had been put on ice in galvanized steel wash tubs. I don't think I've ever had colder beer and after a hot afternoon in the center field bleachers it really hit the spot. :gulp:
As I recall, the McCuddys folks refused to cooperate!

whitesoxwilkes
11-04-2008, 01:55 PM
I may be a fogy, but I'm not yet foggy.

It's not foggey?

Nellie_Fox
11-04-2008, 02:55 PM
It's not foggey?Alternate accepted spellings are fogy, fogey, and fogie. All have only one "g."

Parrothead
11-04-2008, 03:09 PM
As I recall, the McCuddys folks refused to cooperate!

As I recall McCuddy's was not offered a spot right across the street as promised but a few blocks aways. Perhaps that is why they did not cooperate.