PDA

View Full Version : Bring back the Double Header!

JohnTucker0814
11-03-2008, 01:07 PM
What do you guys think of bringing back some doubleheaders to the schedule?

I think with the recent weather for the World Series we need to have some way of moving that to earlier in October.

Here is my suggestion. With the exception of the major teams like Boston, NY, Cubs... attendance on Monday would be at a minimum so why not make every other Sunday a doubleheader. You would move the Monday game to a Sunday... This would eliminate at least 5-10 days off the end of the schedule.

Next, the Division Series needs to be played over 5 days. Throughout the season there are no travel days, so why is there during the playoffs? The Championship Series can have 1 off day during the 7 days (after game 5), same for the World Series. This will bring back depth in pitching because it would make it harder for a team to pitch thier ace game 1, 4 and 7.... plus remove another 2 or 3 days from the schedule.

With this line of thinking the World Series could be played from October 10-18... seems like 2 full weeks could make quite a difference???

What do you all think? Would you be opposed to 5 home double headers per year and 5 road double headers?

JermaineDye05
11-03-2008, 01:08 PM
jeez I thought for a second they had gotten rid of the designated hitter, and you wanted them to bring it back.

twentywontowin
11-03-2008, 01:08 PM
Unless you double the ticket price for that game or have two seperate gates, the owners will never go for it.

hellview
11-03-2008, 01:11 PM
IMO just have division teams play 1 times. It makes no sense for divisional teams to play 19 ****ing times a season.

sox1970
11-03-2008, 01:34 PM
My thought was to have a Saturday day/night doubleheader each month against a division opponent. 3 per team each year. Knocks a week off the schedule without losing games.

sox1970
11-03-2008, 01:36 PM
IMO just have division teams play 1 times. It makes no sense for divisional teams to play 19 ****ing times a season.

They play 18 games now. Why have divisions unless you play an unbalanced schedule? It's one or the other: Divisions and an unbalanced schedule, or no divisions and a balanced schedule.

Oblong
11-03-2008, 01:45 PM
My thought was to have a Saturday day/night doubleheader each month against a division opponent. 3 per team each year. Knocks a week off the schedule without losing games.

I think that'd be a great idea, especially in April/May and September. The weather that time of year can be iffy and you can get rid of one extra night game. Especially in the midwest you can tolerable 50 degree weather during the day but at night it gets below freezing.

But would that idea work schedule wise? Nearly everybody would have to do it because you'd still have to play on the day that the extra game would replace otherwise you don't get any benefit.

I'm sure the geniuses who make the schedule can sort it out. Have a 4 pm game local time and then a day/night the next day. A 3 game series in 2 days.

Imagine a day where half or more cities have double headers going on all at once.

DumpJerry
11-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Unless you double the ticket price for that game or have two seperate gates, the owners will never go for it.
Unless the teams can go with 50 man rosters on days of doubleheaders, the Players' Union won't go for it. The players hate doubleheaders as much as the owners, but for different reasons.

Only the fans like(d) them.

RKMeibalane
11-03-2008, 02:46 PM
jeez I thought for a second they had gotten rid of the designated hitter, and you wanted them to bring it back.

I wondered the same thing, and thought, "I didn't realize that it was gone."

TDog
11-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Unless the teams can go with 50 man rosters on days of doubleheaders, the Players' Union won't go for it. The players hate doubleheaders as much as the owners, but for different reasons.

Only the fans like(d) them.

The players union has always preferred doubleheaders to what they call day-night doubleheaders. (It used to be only Boston was allowed to host them. Then it was Boston and the Cubs. Now it's every team, but I believe they still need consent of the players, although that appears to be a formality.) Long days equal days off. Split doubleheaders equal double shifts. Often less-used players got a chance to play in the second-game of doubleheaders. Doubleheaders greatly increased 1ed Tony Muser's playing time in 1972.

I had a White Sox Sunday season ticket plan in 1972-75 until I went away for college. It included a lot of doubleheaders. I'm not sure fans loved them as much as people remember.

Railsplitter
11-03-2008, 04:20 PM
More head -to-head games among division rivals always makes sense.

SoxNation05
11-03-2008, 04:59 PM
I dont think it'll ever happen but that would be a blast.

dickallen15
11-03-2008, 05:16 PM
The problem with scheduling DH in April/May and September is those are also the months a lot of games get cancelled. If a DH gets rained out its a huge problem, especially in September which hosts a lot of make-up games as it is the team's last visit into town.

I sure hope this year's weather during the WS doesn't convince owners to play at a neutral site. One great thing that makes baseball unique is every field is different. To play at a neutral site takes away that aspect.

dakuda
11-03-2008, 05:20 PM
What do you guys think of bringing back some doubleheaders to the schedule?

I think with the recent weather for the World Series we need to have some way of moving that to earlier in October.

Here is my suggestion. With the exception of the major teams like Boston, NY, Cubs... attendance on Monday would be at a minimum so why not make every other Sunday a doubleheader. You would move the Monday game to a Sunday... This would eliminate at least 5-10 days off the end of the schedule.

Next, the Division Series needs to be played over 5 days. Throughout the season there are no travel days, so why is there during the playoffs? The Championship Series can have 1 off day during the 7 days (after game 5), same for the World Series. This will bring back depth in pitching because it would make it harder for a team to pitch thier ace game 1, 4 and 7.... plus remove another 2 or 3 days from the schedule.

With this line of thinking the World Series could be played from October 10-18... seems like 2 full weeks could make quite a difference???

What do you all think? Would you be opposed to 5 home double headers per year and 5 road double headers?

I don't see how that would save any days. You still have a Monday that week, there is just no game played on it. There is no real change to the end of the season there. You are just moving games around.

chisoxfanatic
11-03-2008, 05:25 PM
I agree with all of this the most, and it is feasible. There are way too many days off in October. There should be at most two days between series as well. The starting dates of each series should be variable and set two days after the two teams for said match-up is set.

AZChiSoxFan
11-03-2008, 06:31 PM

Of course, neither will the MLBPA.

EuroSox35
11-03-2008, 11:48 PM
I vote no. It's probably more likely to be colder later into October, but you can't predict weather, and I don't see how you guard against rain this way. Also, the already good point of the possibility of a DH getting rained out, which would be terrible. And lastly, I would really hate of the possibility of my team's bullpen being burned up if that were necessary

chisoxfanatic
11-03-2008, 11:54 PM
I vote no. It's probably more likely to be colder later into October, but you can't predict weather, and I don't see how you guard against rain this way. Also, the already good point of the possibility of a DH getting rained out, which would be terrible. And lastly, I would really hate of the possibility of my team's bullpen being burned up if that were necessary
Isn't that the truth? I mean, today we had perfect Sox weather, and it's freaking November! You never can plan for the weather no matter how much you try.

ChiSoxFan81
11-04-2008, 11:25 AM
It's just not going to happen. The loss of revenue with a true doubleheader would be unacceptable to the owners. As mentioned, a rained-out doubleheader would create a giant mess, as we saw with the Sox-Tigers this year. It would certainly be great for the fans, and would move up the World Series, but it really isn't feasible in today's game. Doubleheaders now are treated like plagues to be avoided by the teams.

Besides, the weather is unpredictable. Moving the WS up 2 weeks might not improve anything. Here we are on Nov. 4th, and it's over 70 degrees in Chicago, yet in early September, we had highs in the 50s. Not much you can do.

Law11
11-04-2008, 12:00 PM
I love the idea but the owners lose the gate money so forget about it.
Not to mention how todays game the pitching is set up so different than it was back in the 70's and 80's
and what happens if you do have a bad weather day now you have 2 to make up.

cub killer
11-05-2008, 09:43 PM
Here we are on Nov. 4th, and it's over 70 degrees in Chicago,

As the former White Sox commentator Harry Carey used to say, "It's a beautiful day for baseball!"

MHOUSE
11-08-2008, 01:20 AM
It wouldn't take more than a few scheduled doubleheaders to shorten the regular season a week, then eliminate all the unnecessary off days from the playoffs, (1-2 days between series once teams are set and one off day within a 7-game series) and schedule some of the Championship and World Series games in the afternoon. Fall on the east coast or in the midwest usually has beautiful, mild afternoons perfect for any sport, football, soccer, baseball. Once the sun goes down it gets cold, clammy, and if it rains then downright miserable.

All of these suggestions and the ones you guys had would seem relatively easy to implement and would shorten the playoffs so that the World Series isn't going on in November (like next year's will be). But the money issues for owners and TV networks will only continue to derail these moves and compound the issue.

Whatever their solution, neutral site is NOT the answer. The Super Bowl is a unique event in a sport where venue (the field itself) is exactly the same size in every stadium. Baseball teams are tailored to their ballpark (short porch in left, you sign right-handed pull hitters) unlike any other sport. Please no!