PDA

View Full Version : Ben Sheets?

NLaloosh
11-03-2008, 11:06 AM
I was just reading Jon Heyman's predictions for free agent signings and he think he goes to the Astros for 2 yrs./$ 28 mil.

I know that he's been on the DL a few times but he's still pitched a lot of innings in his career and he's only 30. He made 31 starts last year. He's not THAT injury prone. Also, with Herm and Coop and the Sox bullpen as opposed to the Brewers, I think he'd do well.

I'd certainly be happy if the Sox gave gim 3 years at $ 14 mil. per.

Anyone know who his agent is?

voodoochile
11-03-2008, 11:08 AM
Don't know, but could you try to use the proper forums for you new threads? Sheets isn't even a rumor on the Sox front from what I can tell, so use WTS to talk about rumors regarding Ben Sheets or TB for actual facts regarding him.

Thanks.

Craig Grebeck
11-03-2008, 11:43 AM
I'm all for Ben Sheets.

hellview
11-03-2008, 11:50 AM
no, no, no, no and no!!

BadBobbyJenks
11-03-2008, 11:59 AM
Ben Sheets, my fantasy kryptonite. The guy is a beast when on the field.

Craig Grebeck
11-03-2008, 12:02 PM
no, no, no, no and no!!
Explain...

hellview
11-03-2008, 12:07 PM
Explain...

Cause he doesn't fill a need the Sox have. I know it might not be the sexiest choice, but the Sox just need a solid arm that good for 200 innings and decent era. I'd be lying if I haven't thought about Danks/Gavin regressing into 2009 and a clear need for a 5th starter. Someone like Lowe eats innings, keeps the ball down and has pitched in some big games with LA and Boston.

I know he's not as sexy as Sheets, but he's just a solid pitcher that IMO would be a better signing then Sheets won't can't stay off the DL.

oeo
11-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Cause he doesn't fill a need the Sox have. I know it might not be the sexiest choice, but the Sox just need a solid arm that good for 200 innings and decent era. I'd be lying if I haven't thought about Danks/Gavin regressing into 2009 and a clear need for a 5th starter. Someone like Lowe eats innings, keeps the ball down and has pitched in some big games with LA and Boston.

I know he's not as sexy as Sheets, but he's just a solid pitcher that IMO would be a better signing then Sheets won't can't stay off the DL.

He's also going to want a lengthier contract than two years.

Sheets is high risk, but extremely high reward. At only a two year contract, I think I take the risk.

hellview
11-03-2008, 12:15 PM
He's also going to want a lengthier contract than two years.

And since when is Sheets only a look for a 2 year deal?

oeo
11-03-2008, 12:17 PM
And since when is Sheets only a look for a 2 year deal?

Did you read the original post? The prediction is a two year contract. That's the discussion we're having.

hellview
11-03-2008, 12:19 PM
Did you read the original post? The prediction is a two year contract. That's the discussion we're having.

Even if it was a two year deal I wouldn't touch Sheets. The guys soft and wouldn't last a second.

munchman33
11-03-2008, 12:22 PM
Sheets for 5 years? Hell No.

Sheets for 2 years? Of course. And if you don't think so, what are you smoking?

hellview
11-03-2008, 12:24 PM
Sheets for 5 years? Hell No.

Sheets for 2 years? Of course. And if you don't think so, what are you smoking?

Marlboro Mediums....what the hell is it about Sheets that turns people on. He's a good pitcher, but he's never healthy. Plus there's something with his shoulder which caused him to miss time late in the season.

He's not what the Sox need.

Lip Man 1
11-03-2008, 12:24 PM
Hellview:

You can forget about Lowe. His agent is Scott Boras.

Lip

hellview
11-03-2008, 12:33 PM
Hellview:

You can forget about Lowe. His agent is Scott Boras.

Lip

That's awhole other story in it'self.

If the front office wants to address the farm system they need to start dealing with Boras. Did the Yankees or Red Sox get better scouts or did they open up the check book and start dealing with Boras clients that fall in the draft.

There is no god damnm reason that KC can spend 10 million on this years draft and the Sox can't even spend around 6-7 million.

LoveYourSuit
11-03-2008, 12:43 PM
No thanks on Sheet for that amount of money and more than 1 year.

The guy is the biggest heartbreaker this game has seen. Top 5 stuff and always finds a way to find the shelf.

PalehosePlanet
11-03-2008, 12:45 PM
I was just reading Jon Heyman's predictions for free agent signings and he think he goes to the Astros for 2 yrs./$ 28 mil.

I know that he's been on the DL a few times but he's still pitched a lot of innings in his career and he's only 30. He made 31 starts last year. He's not THAT injury prone. Also, with Herm and Coop and the Sox bullpen as opposed to the Brewers, I think he'd do well.

I'd certainly be happy if the Sox gave gim 3 years at $ 14 mil. per.

Anyone know who his agent is?

His agent is Casey Close.

I'm all for grabbing a talent who will be undervalued, at least in terms of years, because of his injury history.

This is our chance to grab a possible No.1 (or a solid 2 anyway) for maybe 3/45 with a team option for a 4th year. Contreras' $ will be off the books after '09 so this should not be a huge problem payroll wise.

When looking at the FA starting pitching that's available he is the best talent-to-money pitcher out there.

LoveYourSuit
11-03-2008, 12:48 PM
His agent is Casey Close.

I'm all for grabbing a talent who will be undervalued, at least in terms of years, because of his injury history.

This is our chance to grab a possible No.1 (or a solid 2 anyway) for maybe 3/45 with a team option for a 4th year. Contreras' $ will be off the books after '09 so this should not be a huge problem payroll wise.

When looking at the FA starting pitching that's available he is the best talent-to-money pitcher out there.

CC, even at $20 million per season, is the best talent for money out there.

PalehosePlanet
11-03-2008, 12:56 PM
CC, even at $20 million per season, is the best talent for money out there.

Yes, I agree that CC's the better pitcher, but as far as we're concerned he doesn't even exist. We have no thoughts and/or means of signing him.

It will take about 100 more million dollars in guaranteed money to sign CC than it will to sign Sheets.

NLaloosh
11-03-2008, 01:05 PM
The Sox have a shot at an elite pitcher without breaking the bank. Plus, it would allow them to move Javy for a much needed part.

He seems to have a reasonable agent and demands. He's worth a 3 year risk.

Plus, with the Sox rotation they wouldn't have the need to ride him as the horse of the staff like the Brewers did.

champagne030
11-03-2008, 01:09 PM

He's just throwing **** against the wall and seeing what sticks. He's got Dumpster, Lowe and Sheets all getting $14M per year. Plus, signing Dumpster, he has the Flubbies signing Abreu or Ibanez. Where the **** are they going to play? Fukudome isn't going to spend the next 3 years in Iowa. They're going to sink or swim with him in RF.

hellview
11-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Fukudome isn't going to spend the next 3 years in Iowa. They're going to sink or swim with him in RF.

Lou said he's going to platoon in CF with Reed Johnson opening RF up for a free agent.

SoxSpeed22
11-03-2008, 01:24 PM
I would rather spend that money on acquiring a second or third baseman. I also think that the Sox should bring in some veteran competition for the 5th starter spot. It doesn't have to be Ben Sheets. Signing someone to a one or two year deal should work. That person does not have to be great, just solid.

CashMan
11-03-2008, 01:36 PM
Am, I the only one who paid attention, that Sheets was having arms problems at the end of the year? I would not touch Sheets.

btrain929
11-03-2008, 01:56 PM
Would I love to have him to a 2-3 year deal? Absolutely.

Will there be a team out there that needs starting pitching worse than we do (Braves, Astros, Mets, Yanks, Rangers) and offers him a better looking contract than we will? Absolutely.

champagne030
11-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Lou said he's going to platoon in CF with Reed Johnson opening RF up for a free agent.

We'll see what Zell has to say. They're not going to platoon a guy making $11.5M so that they can go out and spend $15M on a RF, when they're already paying the LF $16M. I suppose they could platoon him with someone internally, but the Trib needs to come up with $750M in the first half of 2009 (doesn't look like sale of club will happen before then either). The Flubbies already have large payroll increases with Fukudome, Soriano, Lily and more if they sign Dumpster and Woods.

Craig Grebeck
11-03-2008, 02:23 PM
We'll see what Zell has to say. They're not going to platoon a guy making $11.5M so that they can go out and spend $15M on a RF, when they're already paying the LF $16M. I suppose they could platoon him with someone internally, but the Trib needs to come up with $750M in the first half of 2009 (doesn't look like sale of club will happen before then either). The Flubbies already have large payroll increases with Fukudome, Soriano, Lily and more if they sign Dumpster and Woods.
Haha. Sam Zell doesn't know what platoon means.

russ99
11-03-2008, 04:04 PM
The Astros are desperate to get SP help. The fact that Sheets and Oswalt are friends (as well as Peavy) doesn't hurt. So I see them paying more than the going rate to land him.

turners56
11-03-2008, 04:23 PM
He's a nagging injury machine. I say no.

SoxNation05
11-03-2008, 05:44 PM
If this guy would sign for two years I would give him 34 million dollars. No joke. No commitment.
1. Sheets
2. Buerhle
3. Floyd
4. Danks
5. Vazquez

That is a SICK rotation.
His contract is not long term and our staff is very good at keeping our players healthy. If were were to sign him the risk would be worth the reward. I know Buerhle is steady and reliable but he would only be making 2 million more than Buerhle and he would have half the commitment Buerhle has. If we could groom Richard in the minors a little more, we can bring him up if Sheets gets hurt. Most people are already banking on Clayton being in the rotation. Even if he were to get injured he would be be a spark plug and help us gain momentum when he would come back IF he got injured. I like the no commitment idea.

munchman33
11-03-2008, 05:46 PM
That's awhole other story in it'self.

If the front office wants to address the farm system they need to start dealing with Boras. Did the Yankees or Red Sox get better scouts or did they open up the check book and start dealing with Boras clients that fall in the draft.

There is no god damnm reason that KC can spend 10 million on this years draft and the Sox can't even spend around 6-7 million.

Other than having a lower first round pick and no second round pick, you mean?

SoxNation05
11-03-2008, 05:51 PM
Other than having a lower first round pick and no second round pick, you mean?
Still 4 millions dollars different? I think not.
I really like the idea of the signings like Upchurch. Drafting highschoolers who project as high draft picks after college is very smart. Show an 18 year old a bunch of money and he might change his mind about college.

btrain929
11-03-2008, 06:02 PM

They signed their 1st round pick for 6 million. We signed Beckham for approximately 3 million. So there's 3 of the 4 million dollars they spent more then us right there. One guy I would've liked us to throw some money at was Tim Melville. He was a HS pitcher projected late 1st round, but fell to the 4th rd to the Royals cuz of price. They threw about 1.5 million at him. I would have preferred Melville to Brent Morel, but maybe they saw sometihng in the pitcher they didn't like.

SoxNation05
11-03-2008, 06:05 PM
They signed their 1st round pick for 6 million. We signed Beckham for approximately 3 million. So there's 3 of the 4 million dollars they spent more then us right there. One guy I would've liked us to throw some money at was Tim Melville. He was a HS pitcher projected late 1st round, but fell to the 4th rd to the Royals cuz of price. They threw about 1.5 million at him. I would have preferred Melville to Brent Morel, but maybe they saw sometihng in the pitcher they didn't like.
Whether they saw something in Melville or not I do not know what they saw in Morel.

munchman33
11-03-2008, 07:07 PM
I really like the idea of the signings like Upchurch. Drafting highschoolers who project as high draft picks after college is very smart. Show an 18 year old a bunch of money and he might change his mind about college.

ACTUALLY, the difference in signing their first and second round picks and our first round pick is very near 4 million dollars.

So yes.

turners56
11-03-2008, 07:12 PM
If this guy would sign for two years I would give him 34 million dollars. No joke. No commitment.
1. Sheets
2. Buerhle
3. Floyd
4. Danks
5. Vazquez

That is a SICK rotation.
His contract is not long term and our staff is very good at keeping our players healthy. If were were to sign him the risk would be worth the reward. I know Buerhle is steady and reliable but he would only be making 2 million more than Buerhle and he would have half the commitment Buerhle has. If we could groom Richard in the minors a little more, we can bring him up if Sheets gets hurt. Most people are already banking on Clayton being in the rotation. Even if he were to get injured he would be be a spark plug and help us gain momentum when he would come back IF he got injured. I like the no commitment idea.

If he's healthy, it's probably the best rotation in baseball. The problem is, he's not always healthy.

guillensdisciple
11-03-2008, 08:15 PM
I can't say no, we can go young in some positions and spend little money while acquiring a great player like this. We have to take the risk.

Think about the pressure taken off Floyd and Danks to perform next year if you have another ace on the staff like Sheets or Sabathia.

They said Kenny has something up his sleeve, I believe by going "young" in the third base, second base, and center field positions Kenny is planning to spend the money saved on either a grade a pitcher of reliever.

Remember, pitching wins championships, Kenny knows that this staff is maybe a pitcher away from being the best in the bigs, so why not go big?

btrain929
11-03-2008, 09:34 PM
I can't say no, we can go young in some positions and spend little money while acquiring a great player like this. We have to take the risk.

Think about the pressure taken off Floyd and Danks to perform next year if you have another ace on the staff like Sheets or Sabathia.

They said Kenny has something up his sleeve, I believe by going "young" in the third base, second base, and center field positions Kenny is planning to spend the money saved on either a grade a pitcher of reliever.

Remember, pitching wins championships, Kenny knows that this staff is maybe a pitcher away from being the best in the bigs, so why not go big?

Pitching wins championships. While that's all fine and dandy, we didn't go as far as we woulda liked last year because of our offense. Our pitching was just fine last year. Out bullpen hit a bump in the road around August, like a lot of teams' bullpens do.

Would I love our team to sign a #1-2 SP for our rotation? Absolutely. Do I think that's our #1 or even #2 priority? Nope.