PDA

View Full Version : has chicago baseball turned the corner

oldcomiskey
11-02-2008, 07:52 PM
Ozzie becomes the first Sox manager lead the sox to 2 post seasons. Piniella became the third cub manager to do it. both clubs have 3 postseason appearances in the 00's. The sox and the cubs both make it to post season in the same year for the first time since 1906. And both should be contending for years to come.

HomeFish
11-02-2008, 08:03 PM
And both should be contending for years to come.

What makes you say that about the White Sox?

DumpJerry
11-02-2008, 08:10 PM
:rolleyes: It's going to be a long off-season, I see.

alohafri
11-02-2008, 08:43 PM
:rolleyes: It's going to be a long off-season, I see.

They should at least hold off on the negative comments until after Kenny fails to make a trade or sign a free agent who's name is not Alomar. ;)

TommyJohn
11-02-2008, 08:46 PM

Your act is beyond tired.

chisoxfanatic
11-02-2008, 09:31 PM
:rolleyes:

This team is set to contend for at least another few years.

WhiteSox5187
11-02-2008, 09:51 PM
:rolleyes:

This team is set to contend for at least another few years.
Barring injury (or '08 being a fluke year for Floyd and Danks), this team is in pretty good shape. In fact I would say that it is in far better shape than the Cubs.

TornLabrum
11-02-2008, 10:00 PM
Barring injury (or '08 being a fluke year for Floyd and Danks), this team is in pretty good shape. In fact I would say that it is in far better shape than the Cubs.

I wouldn't quite go that far. The Cubs are in a far weaker league (despite World Series results).

Daver
11-02-2008, 10:17 PM

What makes the Fish really hysterical is the fact that he really believes the crap he posts.

ode to veeck
11-02-2008, 10:34 PM
What makes the Fish really hysterical is the fact that he really believes the crap he posts.

that's the scary part

welcome back oldcomisky, haven't heard from you in a while

DumpJerry
11-02-2008, 10:38 PM
Since he has no say in the management of the team, it's not scary. It's just sad.

WhiteSox5187
11-03-2008, 12:07 AM
I wouldn't quite go that far. The Cubs are in a far weaker league (despite World Series results).
I think the Cubs are going to be so tied up with some awful contracts in the coming years (possibly even next year!) and the Brewers and Reds are good and young...we'll see.

HomeFish
11-03-2008, 12:19 AM
I never said I don't think the Sox will or can win in 2009. I just don't think its such a great idea to assume that they will.

We had a lot of guys in 2008 who put up unprecedented good numbers: Danks, Floyd, Alexei, Quentin. Who knows if they are here to stay or if they are one-hit wonders who will fade. We have two guys who had perhaps the worst seasons of their career: Konerko and Swisher. Who knows whether that was a fluke or whether they are going to suck every year from here on out. We have a lot of guys who are aging and might have issues with diminished skills: Thome, Dye, etc.

The Sox can be very good in 2009. Or they can be very bad. I'm not a bad guy for pointing that out.

As I said in another thread, this decade is probably the golden age of Chicago baseball when you factor in how well both teams have done from in the past 10 years.

Nellie_Fox
11-03-2008, 01:32 AM
What makes you say that about the White Sox?You lasted, what, a week before you started your negative crap again? You just can't help yourself, can you?

chisoxfanatic
11-03-2008, 01:52 AM
As I said in another thread, this decade is probably the golden age of Chicago baseball when you factor in how well both teams have done from in the past 10 years.
This may be the Golden Age for our Sox (sure seems as so with a recent championship and all); but, the Golden Age for the Cubs was a century ago.

BadBobbyJenks
11-03-2008, 02:12 AM
I never said I don't think the Sox will or can win in 2009. I just don't think its such a great idea to assume that they will.

We had a lot of guys in 2008 who put up unprecedented good numbers: Danks, Floyd, Alexei, Quentin. Who knows if they are here to stay or if they are one-hit wonders who will fade. We have two guys who had perhaps the worst seasons of their career: Konerko and Swisher. Who knows whether that was a fluke or whether they are going to suck every year from here on out. We have a lot of guys who are aging and might have issues with diminished skills: Thome, Dye, etc.

The Sox can be very good in 2009. Or they can be very bad. I'm not a bad guy for pointing that out.

You should put a well thought out post originally instead of a doom and gloom one liner and people may react differently.

cub killer
11-03-2008, 03:39 AM
Ok, to those who are saying "Chicago baseball has turned the corner" or "this is a golden age for Chicago baseball", just stop. Stop right now. Do not lump us in with the flubs. We are not those goofy news anchors on TV who root for both teams. We do not own Comcast Sportsnet or Ch. 9 where both teams' success is beneficial to us. We are White Sox fans, which means it's only a golden age when we win and the flubs lose. Their success is detrimental to us because it gives them more media coverage and takes away from our fan base. So no, it's not a golden age and the corner was turned in 2005, but unfortunately we backtracked again in 2007. IMO, the "corner" won't be turned until the flubs finally leave town. For good.

When you say "Chicago baseball", you're talking White Sox baseball only. The flubs are northside or Lakeview baseball.

IlliniSox4Life
11-03-2008, 05:50 AM
We are White Sox fans, which means it's only a golden age when we win and the flubs lose.

Actually, I don't think the "golden age" of the Sox has anything to do with the Cubs. I would hardly call this the "golden age", but that is because we have 1 WS win and 2 playoff appearances in 4 years. Certainly respectable, but far from "golden". I don't care what the Cubs or any other team are doing for that matter. If your "golden age" is winning 1 World Series and making the playoffs 3 years later, that is sad.

And to answer the original question, no. Capitalism has caught up with baseball and the teams with the most money in general give themselves a better chance to get to the post season. It was a matter of time before the Sox and Cubs who are amongst the largest payrolls in baseball made it to the same post season. When they do it consistently for a few years I'll change my answer.

palehozenychicty
11-03-2008, 09:58 AM
Actually, I don't think the "golden age" of the Sox has anything to do with the Cubs. I would hardly call this the "golden age", but that is because we have 1 WS win and 2 playoff appearances in 4 years. Certainly respectable, but far from "golden". I don't care what the Cubs or any other team are doing for that matter. If your "golden age" is winning 1 World Series and making the playoffs 3 years later, that is sad.

And to answer the original question, no. Capitalism has caught up with baseball and the teams with the most money in general give themselves a better chance to get to the post season. It was a matter of time before the Sox and Cubs who are amongst the largest payrolls in baseball made it to the same post season. When they do it consistently for a few years I'll change my answer.

Your quote is key. It's been a nice run, but I still think 2006 was a missed opportunity, no matter how you spin it.

champagne030
11-03-2008, 10:04 AM
Ozzie becomes the first Sox manager lead the sox to 2 post seasons. Piniella became the third cub manager to do it. both clubs have 3 postseason appearances in the 00's. The sox and the cubs both make it to post season in the same year for the first time since 1906. And both should be contending for years to come.

We spend enough money to contend for the division every season. We'll only fail to contend because of poor talent evaluation, poor player development or injury.

Lundind1
11-03-2008, 10:52 AM
I have my doubts right now that is a "Golden Age". I would see the run that the Sox had from 1906 to 1920 the "Golden Age" with the White Sox. We could play shoulda, woulda, coulda with the events leading up to and following for many years after 1920. I would say that this more of one for the Red Sox, and I say that because championships generally constitute a "Golden Age" at least in my mind.

This also taking into account that I really don't count what the Fluffies do.

HomeFish
11-03-2008, 10:56 AM
Ok, to those who are saying "Chicago baseball has turned the corner" or "this is a golden age for Chicago baseball", just stop. Stop right now. Do not lump us in with the flubs. We are not those goofy news anchors on TV who root for both teams. We do not own Comcast Sportsnet or Ch. 9 where both teams' success is beneficial to us. We are White Sox fans, which means it's only a golden age when we win and the flubs lose. Their success is detrimental to us because it gives them more media coverage and takes away from our fan base. So no, it's not a golden age and the corner was turned in 2005, but unfortunately we backtracked again in 2007. IMO, the "corner" won't be turned until the flubs finally leave town. For good.

When you say "Chicago baseball", you're talking White Sox baseball only. The flubs are northside or Lakeview baseball.

I'm just saying it like it is. Both us and the other team in Chicago happen to be unusually good (by Chicago standards) at the same time right now.

Obviously its not a "golden age" by the standards of any other city. But by us, yes, I think you can make an argument that both teams have never been quite this good at the same time for a number of years.

voodoochile
11-03-2008, 11:11 AM
I'm just saying it like it is. Both us and the other team in Chicago happen to be unusually good (by Chicago standards) at the same time right now.

Obviously its not a "golden age" by the standards of any other city. But by us, yes, I think you can make an argument that both teams have never been quite this good at the same time for a number of years.

Well given that the two teams made the playoffs in the same year for only the second time, it's pretty obvious that it's a better time to be a fan of Chicago baseball than at any other time in history.

Lundind1
11-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Well given that the two teams made the playoffs in the same year for only the second time, it's pretty obvious that it's a better time to be a fan of Chicago baseball than at any other time in history.

I'll buy that notion for a dollar.

whitesox901
11-03-2008, 11:39 AM
I agree with homefish, both Chicago teams are doing well now and have done nicely in the last 10 years or so. Is it an Golden era? Southside maybe, northside, not by a long shot

Lip Man 1
11-03-2008, 12:18 PM
White Sox 901 (and others):

Have 17 straight winning seasons, have seven of those be of 90 or more wins, win a pennant and nearly win two more and then we can start to talk about "golden ages" and such.

To put it in perspective, I was born in 1955. I was 13 before I knew what it felt like to have a "bad" White Sox season and to have them lose more games then they won.

And I agree with those who say the Cubs have no bearing in things if you are a Sox fan. (Although I also understand the inclusion of them because of the subject topic, i.e. "Chicago golden age..."

Lip

oldcomiskey
11-03-2008, 02:10 PM

Maybe, but the Cubs have had as much success as we have since 00, barring the world series of 05

Nellie_Fox
11-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Maybe, but the Cubs have had as much success as we have since 00, barring the world series of 05A significant difference.

ode to veeck
11-03-2008, 06:44 PM

Oh I'll easily take 2005 over 2008 for that one

AZChiSoxFan
11-03-2008, 07:27 PM

Actually I agree with you. For me, it's moved on to actually being funny. I started laughing when I read the post by HF.

cub killer
11-05-2008, 09:29 PM
This thread sucks, I vote for it to be closed. Saying "Chicago baseball" is like saying "The Sox-cubs alliance". We are not to be lumped together, they are our rivals. Not for the AL pennant or Central Division, but for the love from the city of Chicago. I'm not content with our current 40% of the city's baseball fanbase. Screw that. So hopefully the mods can cinch this sucker up, lock it up and push it off a pier somewhere.

"Chicago baseball" my ass.

oldcomiskey
11-06-2008, 07:32 AM
you are blowing this way out of proportion. Hey, you gotta give the Cubs some props. They have been to the postseason as many times as the sox have recently. They have a lot of good exciting players. And Sweet Lou is the NL answer to Ozzie. I dont think My sox fandom should come into question here. Ask anybody here who has been around for awhile.