PDA

View Full Version : Where have you gone Old Comiskey scoreboard?

VeeckAsInWreck
05-19-2002, 09:54 PM
Does anyone here know what happened to the Old Comiskey Diamondvision scoreboard? I hear it's in a minor league ballpark, is this true? If so which one? Anyone here want to go on a road trip?

cheeses_h_rice
05-19-2002, 11:53 PM
If I'm not mistaken, one of the colored fireworks "turrets" is now situated -- rather perversely, may I add -- on a rooftop on Sheffield Ave. directly across from Wrigley Field.

WinningUgly!
05-20-2002, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
Does anyone here know what happened to the Old Comiskey Diamondvision scoreboard? I hear it's in a minor league ballpark, is this true? If so which one? Anyone here want to go on a road trip?

Not sure. Funny though, because my brother was just asking me about this last week. The topic came up because a guy who lives down the street from me, who has an above-ground pool with a giant surrounding deck, just put up a Comiskey scoreboard as a backdrop to it. The thing is pretty cool looking, complete with pinwheels & everything. I used to think his big ol' deck was really tacky looking, filling up almost his entire yard, now I love it! :D: I was pretty pissed, because I didn't think of it first! :D:

CubKilla
05-20-2002, 12:33 AM
Whether or not the scoreboard itself (pinwheels on down) is in a minor league park, cheeses was correct when he stated a pinwheel was atop a Wrigleyville bar..... Murphy's Bleachers to be exact. It was purchased by radio personality Steve Dahl and fixed atop Murphy's where, after Harry Carey's death, a caricature of the onetime Cardinal and White Sox announcer replaced the blue pinwheel paint scheme. Also, one or two of the pinwheels are on the walls of the Bullpen Sports Bar at New Comiskey Park. If you ask me, Reinsdorf probably sold it for scrap.

Nellie_Fox
05-20-2002, 03:26 AM
I might not be remembering this correctly, but it seems to me that they tried to find a home for the diamondvision but couldn't get any takers, because it was not the latest and greatest any more, and it would cost more to move it than it was worth, so it was scrapped.

Cheryl
05-20-2002, 08:45 AM
A replica of it rises from the floor at the end of the cheesy isn't-baseball-wonderful movie they show at the HOF. The movie is the worst sort of sentimental pablum, but it's worth investing the 15 minutes in to to see the scoreboard again.

duke of dorwood
05-20-2002, 08:57 AM
Isnt one of the pinwheels in the Bullpen Sports Bar?