PDA

View Full Version : Is KW Hyping Up The Trade Bait Or "The Kids Can Play Pt. II"

Thome25
11-01-2008, 03:45 PM
I just read this article and I wss wondering to myself if KW is trying to hype up the players he considers to be trade bait or are we looking at a huge youth movement ala "The Kids Can Play Pt. II" ?

I WOULD NOT be opposed to a youth movement that included several new young, hungry, fundamentally sound ballplayers. But it does concern me if players like BA and Owens don't progress offensively and Fields doesn't progress defensively.

We already have a bunch of youngsters in Jenks, Quentin, Alexei, Danks, and Floyd so why not bring on some more.......it seems like a good idea to me.

So what do you think is KW's motive in this article?

Here's the link:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081030&content_id=3656248&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

guillen4life13
11-01-2008, 04:24 PM
It could be good. It could backfire. I hope KW's confidence is not unfounded but we really could do worse. Last year I was advocating going this route for 2008 in a build effort for '09.

I don't know if now is the time to do this but it all depends on the market. The Sox have definitely ponied up the money since '05, so any more spending on the part of the organization to me is golden but it's not expected. It is, after all, a business.

Like any offseason, this one should be pretty interesting.

jcw218
11-01-2008, 05:34 PM
It probably could be a little of both. I think that KW will try and improve this team over the winter and fill the holes as best he can. Kenny will probably be more in the under the radar mode this year as not to telegraff what he's trying to do.

Frater Perdurabo
11-02-2008, 06:13 AM
I think he does want to infuse some home-grown players onto the roster. But I also think he's exaggerating in order to blow smoke at other teams (he doesn't want to drive up the Angels' asking price for Figgins, etc.) and at the fans (so when he does make a deal or sign someone, we'll be pleased because we won't have expected it as much).

Lip Man 1
11-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Folks:

Bottom line. Since when has Kenny EVER revealed his real plans ahead of time to the media?

(crickets chirping...)

This is nothing to get bent out of shape about now.

I'm sure he will try to have one or two kids make the team next year and possibly even contribute more then just fill up a seat on an airplane.... but have four or five of them? AND expect to "contend" given the track record of the Sox farm system?

Let's get real here folks...Kenny is a lot smarter than that.

Lip

dwalteroo
11-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Kenny Williams is a general manager chessmaster. He is likely 9 steps ahead of us at this point. I trust him implicitly.

Bucky F. Dent
11-02-2008, 04:14 PM
I don't think that any GM worth his salt is going to be bowled over by the comments made by another GM about his prospects.

In other words - get ready for a youth movement.

russ99
11-02-2008, 05:19 PM
Well, I think we do need to get a bit younger in key areas, but if the Sox go with a "Kids can Play" youth movement, that would be a massive mistake.

This season as far as I'm concerned was a continuation of our 2005-present success and viability as a big-market contender and to drastically cut payroll and go young would bring us back to the days of the late 90's, and if you weren't here for that, believe me, we really don't want to go back to it, especially one season after winning a division title.

Personally, I think Kenny's doing it the right way, replacing older players a little bit each year with real talent, kind of like the way the Braves did during their long run of contention.

I'd expect some turnover, removing older players and acquiring younger talent in the manner Kenny got Carlos, Nick and Alexei last season, but nothing real drastic, and not just turn over CF, 3B and 2B and the 5th starter spot over to the kids.

If Kenny goes over budget making moves, I could see one of those spots taken over my one of our younger players, but only one.