PDA

View Full Version : Yankees Interested in Manny

RKMeibalane
10-31-2008, 08:02 PM
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3675877)

I just threw up in my mouth.

HomeFish
10-31-2008, 08:10 PM
Boston deserves nothing more than seeing Manny go to the Yankees and be successful there.

soxpride724
10-31-2008, 08:42 PM
Boston deserves nothing more than seeing Manny go to the Yankees and be successful there.

I like you, you must dislike the Red Sox as much as me.:D:

turners56
10-31-2008, 09:02 PM
I think we all knew about this.

From a media and public relations point of view, this is great.
From a baseball point of view, it's not as good.

How long are they going to sign him for, at least 5 years? Money isn't an issue for the Yankees, but they still have to be smart about this. He's 36 right now and you're going to sign him to a 5+ year contract?

He might produce for you for a couple of more years and then you're stuck paying him for his uselessness. Also, let's not forget that he beat up on NL pitching. His NL and AL splits were dramatically different. He was having a good season with Boston, good, but not great. Then he goes to the NL and becomes Barry Bonds. How does that happen unless there's a talent difference?

And one last thing, looking at the Yankees outfield right now, they're going to have at least Damon and Matsui next year, both in their middle 30s. They might re-sign Nady though. So basically, they're either going to pay Manny to DH or play that deep left field. Eeek. Considering how old they already are, they don't need another guy on the wrong side of 30.

Manny's a great player and he can be good for the next year or two. Don't expect production he had from August 1st to October though. I guess if you're the Yankees, and you're in win-now mode, this signing wouldn't be bad. I guess each team has their own perception of their goals and how they will carry them out. But IMO, he's not a smart signing.

palehozenychicty
10-31-2008, 09:06 PM
Cashman's merely trying to drive up the price, and then Hank will sign him behind Cashman's back. Only because the Yankees management is awful. They have little to no direction. He's the last thing they need, but they just can't help themselves.

RKMeibalane
10-31-2008, 10:06 PM
I like you, you must dislike the Red Sox as much as me.:D:

HomeFish is actually a Yankees fan.

Nellie_Fox
11-01-2008, 01:38 AM
I like you, you must dislike the Red Sox as much as me.:D:Why would you like someone who you think hates you? :(:

drewcifer
11-01-2008, 02:01 AM
Such an awesome unique move. I love it.

Keep with the tradition, Yankees! 8 years can't be wrong.

soxpride724
11-02-2008, 12:15 AM
Why would you like someone who you think hates you? :(:

Huh? He was bad talking the Red Sox. How did I think he had a problem with me?

thomas35forever
11-02-2008, 12:44 AM
Good thing the Yankees are looking to sign another big name while the team doesn't produce optimal results on the field. Then again, it would be nice to see him pound the Sawx.

rustysurf83
11-02-2008, 12:49 AM
If I were the NYY and I had the choice I would do it. Who gives a ****? They have a near unlimited flow of cash. I think he hit better in the NL because he cared....he was probably going at about 80% in Boston, got to the Dodgers and started putting forth effort. I know he's 36 and yes that's old, but Yankees ownership will eat a 5 year contract for a WS, they are an immediate gratification organization. On the downside, Manny in NYC would be interesting! Maybe it could take some of the spotlight off of ARod and he could perform even better?

drewcifer
11-02-2008, 12:51 AM
Good thing the Yankees are looking to sign another big name while the team doesn't produce optimal results on the field. Then again, it would be nice to see him pound the Sawx.

They can't pitch. They don't have one horse.... Not one unless your planning on packing the backs of 35+ year olds... again.

Boondock Saint
11-02-2008, 12:53 AM
Manny is getting his money no matter where he goes. The Yankees know that. They'll pay him what he's asking for (if they actually want him).

With that said, ARod/Manny would be absolutely horrifying to pitch to.

drewcifer
11-02-2008, 01:00 AM
Manny is getting his money no matter where he goes. The Yankees know that. They'll pay him what he's asking for (if they actually want him).

With that said, ARod/Manny would be absolutely horrifying to pitch to.

They'd only get Manny if they dump Abreu (which would probably be dumb on their part).

So not so horrifying. I don't think many in the AL are really all that terrified of the Yankees anymore. A good hitting tandem on a team with ****ty pitching isn't scary either. $25+M or not.

HomeFish
11-02-2008, 01:05 AM
If it is true that Manny's motivation is what drives his performance, then you gotta expect he'd be motivated against his old team.

I want to see Manny hit multiple walk-offs against the Red Sox next year.

rustysurf83
11-02-2008, 01:14 AM
They'd only get Manny if they dump Abreu (which would probably be dumb on their part).

So not so horrifying. I don't think many in the AL are really all that terrified of the Yankees anymore. A good hitting tandem on a team with ****ty pitching isn't scary either. $25+M or not.

Dude what the **** are you talking about??? Joba is going to start at least 80 games next year.

drewcifer
11-02-2008, 01:16 AM
Dude what the **** are you talking about??? Joba is going to start at least 80 games next year.

LOL! Ok.

11-02-2008, 02:45 PM

Why would you like Homefish at all???

Nellie_Fox
11-03-2008, 01:36 AM
Why would you like Homefish at all???:dunno:

Iwritecode
11-03-2008, 10:48 AM
Also, let's not forget that he beat up on NL pitching. His NL and AL splits were dramatically different. He was having a good season with Boston, good, but not great. Then he goes to the NL and becomes Barry Bonds. How does that happen unless there's a talent difference?

He basically quit on the team in Boston. That's why they traded him.

It's not like he wasn't already putting up monster numbers while spending his entire career in the AL.

hi im skot
11-03-2008, 11:33 AM

:rolling:

Lundind1
11-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Leave it to the Yankee's to try to make the team that much older. Manny to the Yankees....a match made in hell!!! Let's see how long that one would last.

chisoxfanatic
11-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Didn't Manny say one of the reasons he wanted to leave Boston was that they never left him alone when he went anywhere? How exactly would things differ in New York? I'm sure guys like Jeter and PayRod aren't generally left alone when they go out in public.