PDA

View Full Version : Crede, Uribe file for free agency

eriqjaffe
10-31-2008, 12:41 PM
One is no surprise, one is a slight surprise.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081030&content_id=3655974&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws&partnerId=rss_cws

I didn't see a thread about this already, feel free to move/delete/merge as needed.

Mr.1Dog
10-31-2008, 01:10 PM
:nancyCue her up.

jabrch
10-31-2008, 01:27 PM
I will be curious to see if we offer arbitration to either.

Daver
10-31-2008, 01:52 PM
I will be curious to see if we offer arbitration to either.

Uribe might be worth a second round pick.

LoveYourSuit
10-31-2008, 01:59 PM
You have to turn the page on those 2 guys ..... let a new chapter begin.

I was fine with Uribe last year until he became an every day player again, then he started doing a lot of the crap that pissed me off about him for his entire career.

He should be a bench guy, but I think someone will give him a starting position somewhere.

btrain929
10-31-2008, 02:01 PM
They are both free agents, so is them filing for free agency a surprise or even note-worthy? The end of that article says Juan is looking for a starting job, so maybe offering him arbitration will be a good thing if he declines it hoping to find a starting gig somewhere. Then we could POTENTIALLY have 4 picks total from the first 2 rounds (1st round and the compensation round) combined (our 1st rounder, a 1st rounder if Cabrera signs with a team not in the top 15, a compensation pick for Cabrera, and a compensation pick for Uribe).

thomas35forever
10-31-2008, 03:11 PM
Does this mean we're going to see Josh Fields at third next year? Hopefully not. He can't play defense worth a damn. Nix is a second baseman, so it can't be him. KW better have something planned for the hot corner. Figgins maybe?

KRS1
10-31-2008, 03:51 PM
It's pretty sad but I've finally come to accept that Joe is a goner (I know,everyone else did it 12 months ago). This whole situation with him has blown, but both sides are just going with the "fresh start" approach, understandably so. I'd offer arb to both guys regardless of what comp we get in return, because neither would get big money and both are worth a shot to keep in their own way.

btrain929
10-31-2008, 03:58 PM
It's pretty sad but I've finally come to accept that Joe is a goner (I know,everyone else did it 12 months ago). This whole situation with him has blown, but both sides are just going with the "fresh start" approach, understandably so. I'd offer arb to both guys regardless of what comp we get in return, because neither would get big money and both are worth a shot to keep in their own way.

Crede isn't getting arbitration offered to him because 1) there would be no compensation if he declines it, and 2) we would be paying him a good 4-5 million for 1 year when he's clearly not worth that much.

Daver
10-31-2008, 04:05 PM
Crede isn't getting arbitration offered to him because 1) there would be no compensation if he declines it, and 2) we would be paying him a good 4-5 million for 1 year when he's clearly not worth that much.

They paid Uribe 5 million to be a bench player last year, so a starting third baseman is worth less than that?

KRS1
10-31-2008, 04:09 PM
Worth is, well, arbitrary. Is the risk-reward worth a $5mm gamble? You say clearly not, but some team out there is going to give him that money, I guarantee it (yes, go ahead and pull out the miss cleo tag). Chances are that he never stays healthy a full season again, and like I said, I understand us parting ways for just that reason. However, for a team with no 3b right now, I find it hard to believe that people would be miffed by us taking another gamble on him by (attempting) going to arb.

btrain929
10-31-2008, 04:12 PM
They paid Uribe 5 million to be a bench player last year, so a starting third baseman is worth less than that?

1) It was more like 4.4 million, but hey who's counting.
2) When Uribe was brought back, he was the starting SS. We didn't acquire Cabrera until after Uribe was resigned.
3) This isn't the '05-'06 Joe Crede. Crede is about as dependable of the '07 Podsednik. You wanna pay him 5 million for a guy who will pop out to 2nd base every other at-bat, have about 10 errors in 50 games, before being DL'd for the season? Be my guest.

Tragg
10-31-2008, 04:21 PM
Do we offer Uribe arb? At $4.8 mill or so, he'd be ridiciulously overpayed for a utilty player. But is one year of paying a utility player 3 times what he's worth worth the 2nd round draft choice we'd get.

KRS1
10-31-2008, 04:23 PM
1) It was more like 4.4 million, but hey who's counting.
2) When Uribe was brought back, he was the starting SS. We didn't acquire Cabrera until after Uribe was resigned.
3) This isn't the '05-'06 Joe Crede. Crede is about as dependable of the '07 Podsednik. You wanna pay him 5 million for a guy who will pop out to 2nd base every other at-bat, have about 10 errors in 50 games, before being DL'd for the season? Be my guest.

Well, you did say 4-5mm, but who's counting.
...and Joe would be our starting 3b going into 09. I can think of worse insurance policies, like Uribe for example.
Pretty much, but sometimes you keep taking that roll of the dice, but have a strong backup plan in place as insurance.

btrain929
10-31-2008, 04:35 PM
Well, you did say 4-5mm, but who's counting.
...and Joe would be our starting 3b going into 09. I can think of worse insurance policies, like Uribe for example.
Pretty much, but sometimes you keep taking that roll of the dice, but have a strong backup plan in place as insurance.

I said "4-5 million", it was in regards to my guess of the amount Crede might get if we offered him arbitration this offseason. When I stated "4.4 million", it was in response to Daver's claim that Uribe made 5 million in '08, when he didn't.

Attention to detail can be your friend.....:D:

If we don't land Figgins or another good 3B thru trade, just give Fields 3B for '09. Either Fields steps up and is a decent 3B (which is all we need him to be since we'd only be paying him $400,000) or he falls on his face, and we officially know he will not be apart of our future.

Tragg
10-31-2008, 05:29 PM
Cabrera - that's the big one. I assume we're filing on him?

btrain929
10-31-2008, 05:33 PM
Cabrera - that's the big one. I assume we're filing on him?

If "I assume we're filing on him" means "are we're offering him arbitration", then yes we are. No way he takes a 1 year deal to stay here. He wants to leave Chicago and get a multi-year contract far from here. In return, we get 2 picks. A pick in the compensation round (Round 1A) for sure, and either a 1st round pick if the team that signs him drafts after the 15th pick, or a 2nd round pick if the team that signs him drafts 1st thru 15th.

KyWhiSoxFan
11-01-2008, 08:27 AM
It is safe to say Crede is gone.

As far as Uribe is concerned, it is not worth offering him arbitration if the Sox have to pay him at least $3.6-million to be a bench player. They should save their money and use it on someone who can hit better than .247. Uribe does not have the plate discipline to do the small things that are needed from a utility player, like moving the runner along, hitting to opposite field, bunting, etc. If someone like Getz can hit .250, they are better off with a player that has more dimension or potential at the plate.

white sox bill
11-01-2008, 04:45 PM
I know the mood changed around here from one of contempt for Juan to one of almost admiration after he started filling in nicely at third base. I for one, will miss him (not at bat though) and that cannon he has for an arm. That ball went from his hand to first base in all of 2.2 seconds.

Crede much too risky to take chance on...and I'm not sold on Fields either

veeter
11-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Because Nix is supposedly a very good glove, I think Juan is gone. Joe, IMO, will always battle back issues, so he should be let go.

champagne030
11-01-2008, 06:57 PM
If we don't land Figgins or another good 3B thru trade, just give Fields 3B for '09. Either Fields steps up and is a decent 3B (which is all we need him to be since we'd only be paying him $400,000) or he falls on his face, and we officially know he will not be apart of our future.

Horrible idea. Fields is a terrible defensive player. Brutal. KW better have another plan in place or this will smell like the 5th starter crap earlier this decade and the bull**** we've been running out in CF '06-'08.

Daver
11-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Horrible idea. Fields is a terrible defensive player. Brutal. KW better have another plan in place or this will smell like the 5th starter crap earlier this decade and the bull**** we've been running out in CF '06-'08.

This actually makes me LOL. Seriously.

The Sox have one of the best defensive center fielders in MLB and every fan of the team hates him, and you are going to complain about defense?

btrain929
11-01-2008, 08:28 PM

1) I did say that we should let Fields have the job only if we can't land Figgins or another targeted 3B. I didn't say we should give Fields the job right now.
2) Crede with a bad back is also a terrible defensive player. Example = 2008.

So, in your opinion, who's our 3B for 2009? Your answer will probably fall in the italicized portion of my above statement.

HomeFish
11-01-2008, 08:34 PM
The Sox have one of the best defensive center fielders in MLB and every fan of the team hates him, and you are going to complain about defense?

It's not 1920 anymore. Catchers, centerfielders, and shortstops have to hit these days. If you can't, you're not really a "center fielder", as you can't do 50% of your job.

Daver
11-01-2008, 08:37 PM
It's not 1920 anymore. Catchers, centerfielders, and shortstops have to hit these days. If you can't, you're not really a "center fielder", as you can't do 50% of your job.

Tell that to Nick Swisher.

WhiteSox5187
11-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Tell that to Nick Swisher.
Yes but Swisher struggles to play defense as well, so he really does 0% of his job...but his BAIB and OPS+ numbers are great! :rolleyes:

rustysurf83
11-01-2008, 11:32 PM
Is it unrealistic for Beckham or Alexei to move to third? I know its not a next year solution but with Alexei, Beckham, and Nix you have the potential for three + IF.

Tragg
11-01-2008, 11:59 PM
The Sox have one of the best defensive center fielders in MLB and every fan of the team hates him,
The field manager is even less impressed; he prefers Jerry Owens and Dewayne Wise.

WSox597
11-02-2008, 06:33 AM
This actually makes me LOL. Seriously.

No kidding. Anderson wouldn't be the first CF the Sox kept around for his glove. And his glove is very good.

WSox597
11-02-2008, 06:35 AM
The field manager is even less impressed; he prefers Jerry Owens and Dewayne Wise.

The field manager also preferred Rob Mackowiak in CF. Look how well that worked out.

Hey, we have a pattern. Perhaps the field manager isn't a good judge of center fielders?

Zisk77
11-02-2008, 10:58 AM
I think its worth the risk of giving 3b to Fields if a Figgins or such doesn't materialize in the off-season. If he is killing us at 3b its not like a 3b won't be available in trade. Hell we can The great Adrian Beltre now for next to nothing if we just agree to take the albatross of his salary of Seattle's hands or actually give them decent prospects and take some of his salary. Balock of Texas and Mora of Balt will also be avaialable if Josh fails.

Hoepfully Josh is at leat adequate their so we have $ to fill other places.

eriqjaffe
11-02-2008, 06:30 PM
No kidding. Anderson wouldn't be the first CF the Sox kept around for his glove. And his glove is very good.:KW
"Center field is actually the easiest of the outfield positions to play from a health perspective. I know that doesn't sound right because you've got to go a lot of left and right, but trust me, it's a little easier to play center field."