PDA

View Full Version : Jake Peavy to the Cubs??

Rockabilly
10-31-2008, 11:23 AM
Ken Rosenthal reported that the Padres will be talking to the Cubs and Dodgers next week at the GM Meetings about Jake Peavy..

cbrownson13
10-31-2008, 11:29 AM
The Cubs don't have what it takes to get Peavy. They sold their most valued players off to get Rich Harden.

Unless their willing to give up something like, Ramirez, Marshall, Pie, plus prospects, it's not happening.

10-31-2008, 11:30 AM
They do have Josh Vitters. It could happen.

JUribe1989
10-31-2008, 11:32 AM
Don't put anything past Jim Hendry's team-swindling abilities. I could see the Padres doing it for Vitters, Pie, Samardzija type deal.

Rockabilly
10-31-2008, 11:35 AM
they also have Samardzija and Marmol that they can trade..

also I believe the Padres were high on Fukudome when he was a free agent..

Rockabilly
10-31-2008, 11:36 AM
why would the Padres want to trade Peavy to the Dodgers

oeo
10-31-2008, 11:40 AM
why would the Padres want to trade Peavy to the Dodgers

Why does that division always trade with each other? :shrug:

SOXPHILE
10-31-2008, 11:41 AM
It ain't gonna happen. Don't pay any attention to what Phil Rogers writes, or anything Squeaky Murphy says on WSCR. Rogers keeps thinking the Padres would trade Adrian Gonzales for Derek Lee, and that mid-day dumbass on 670 keeps wondering if the Cubs could put together a package centered around Felix Pie and his .220 batting average to get Peavy. Yes, once again, these and other idiots are in some weird mindset that other teams are just lining up to help out the Cubs with extremely lop-sided deals that favor Team Trib.

Also, after this past season, I kind of doubt the Padres or any other team is high on Fukudome anymore.

jabrch
10-31-2008, 11:42 AM
Don't put anything past Jim Hendry's team-swindling abilities. I could see the Padres doing it for Vitters, Pie, Samardzija type deal.

That's really not swindling anyone...IF the Cubs are willing to trade Vitters, it opens up the possibility. Samardzija has a full NTC, so I'm not sure they could easily move him. SD would also be interested in Marmol and Ceda as well as Veal. That being said, I don't see the Cubs outbidding ATL/STL, and I don't see them trading Vitters.

areilly
10-31-2008, 11:45 AM
Why does that division always trade with each other? :shrug:

Because if you shuffle crap around four steaming piles, you still only have four steaming piles of crap. :redneck

NLaloosh
10-31-2008, 12:33 PM
He's going to Atlanta. But, the Braves don't want to bid against themselves so they're going to make the Pads get some serious offers before they pony up what they have to.

PalehosePlanet
10-31-2008, 12:42 PM
they also have Samardzija and Marmol that they can trade..

C'mon Rockabilly, I liked Ryan Leaf before I realized he sucked.

Bottom line: Fukudome is a bust; a 3-4 million dollar a year player making 12 mil per. It doesn't matter if they liked him coming into last year.

I'm just thankful Hendry saved KW from himself on that one.

Rockabilly
10-31-2008, 12:45 PM

Bottom line: Fukudome is a bust; a 3-4 million dollar a year player making 12 mil per. It doesn't matter if they liked him coming into last year.

I'm just thankful Hendry saved KW from himself on that one.

I will agree with you that Fukudome is a bust but the Padres are hurting for OF help.

Especially if Giles leaves them..

CashMan
10-31-2008, 12:55 PM

So, did the Chargers.

cbrownson13
10-31-2008, 12:55 PM
I will agree with you that Fukudome is a bust but the Padres are hurting for OF help.

That's the thing, it doesn't seem anyone else wants Giles except for them.

JermaineDye05
10-31-2008, 01:28 PM
The Padres aren't going to trade Peavy to one of the best teams in the national league, nor are they going to trade him to the Dodgers.

BadBobbyJenks
10-31-2008, 01:38 PM
The Padres aren't going to trade Peavy to one of the best teams in the national league, nor are they going to trade him to the Dodgers.

The Dodgers have easily the best package to offer. Refusing to trade within the division out of principle is silly.

russ99
10-31-2008, 02:48 PM

I think it's ironic that the same people who are pushing Fukudome as a possible centerpiece in a Peavy deal are discounting Houston potentially offering a younger and better Hunter Pence in a more viable deal, especially considering Peavy really wants to play there... The only reason a deal hasn't been done yet is the Astros can't offer the level of prospects the Braves or Dodgers can, so Towers is playing the field.

The Cubs need a lefty power hitting left fielder and a new CF or 2B man who can lead off. Peavy isn't a need player by any means, especially if they have any designs on re-signing Dempster.

DumpJerry
10-31-2008, 03:21 PM
Ken Rosenthal reported
These are the words where I usually stop reading rumors.

doublem23
10-31-2008, 04:52 PM

Then they saw him play.

kittle42
10-31-2008, 04:57 PM
The Cubs don't have what it takes to get Peavy. They sold their most valued players off to get Rich Harden.

Unless their willing to give up something like, Ramirez, Marshall, Pie, plus prospects, it's not happening.

Please tell me you didn't.

Foulke You
10-31-2008, 06:39 PM
Rogers keeps thinking the Padres would trade Adrian Gonzales for Derek Lee.
I constantly hear media and Cub fans mention Derek Lee or Aramis Ramirez in trade scenarios but both have iron clad no-trade clauses which makes them extremely difficult to move. They'd have to waive their no-trade rights to make any trade possible and I doubt that is going to happen.

Brian26
10-31-2008, 08:04 PM
It ain't gonna happen. Don't pay any attention to what Phil Rogers writes, or anything Squeaky Murphy says on WSCR. Rogers keeps thinking the Padres would trade Adrian Gonzales for Derek Lee, and that mid-day dumbass on 670 keeps wondering if the Cubs could put together a package centered around Felix Pie and his .220 batting average to get Peavy. Yes, once again, these and other idiots are in some weird mindset that other teams are just lining up to help out the Cubs with extremely lop-sided deals that favor Team Trib.

Also, after this past season, I kind of doubt the Padres or any other team is high on Fukudome anymore.

Phenomenal post. :rolling:

1908<2005
11-01-2008, 03:24 AM

What difference does it make? If they get good prospects in return (Cubs have a few) they would pull the trigger right away. Not like they are going to contend next year.

JermaineDye05
11-01-2008, 01:53 PM
What difference does it make? If they get good prospects in return (Cubs have a few) they would pull the trigger right away. Not like they are going to contend next year.

The Twins could have easily gotten a better package for Santana if they traded him to the Red Sox, I think the fact that the Mets are in the NL and hadn't won anything factored in the decision to give them Santana.

4 points
11-05-2008, 06:50 AM
I hate to say it, but it`s looking more and more like the Cubs, Braves won`t commit the people the Pads want.:gulp:

russ99
11-05-2008, 10:56 AM
I hate to say it, but it`s looking more and more like the Cubs, Braves won`t commit the people the Pads want.:gulp:

Good. If the Dodgers don't cave then maybe Towers will stop asking for the moon and the Astros will be back in.

BadBobbyJenks
11-08-2008, 12:13 PM
For those who care, Kevin Towers, the gm of the Padres will be on ESPN 1000 around 11:20

btrain929
11-08-2008, 12:38 PM
For those who care, Kevin Towers, the gm of the Padres will be on ESPN 1000 around 11:20

I just turned it on and it's a commercial. I'm guessing it's over? If it is, anyone got a recap?

WhiteSoxFan84
11-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Call me crazy but if this happens call me a genius! :D:

Coming out of nowhere, at the very last second, the Reds jump into talks for Jake Peavy and offer the Padres Johnny Cueto, Nick Masset, Brandon Phillips, and a top prospect for Peavy and 1 or 2 bench/role players.

The new Reds starting rotation: Peavy/Volquez/Harang/Arroyo/Owings. Not bad at all. They'll probably need to sign a big bat also but Bruce/Votto/Keppinger/Freel/Encarnacion are not a bad looking offense. Add a big bat or 2 and you're good to dominate that division for years to come.

Of course Peavy has to OK the trade to Cincy and he probably won't because it's not a pitcher's ballpark but you're going to tell me Wrigley is??

thomas35forever
11-08-2008, 01:26 PM
I saw on ESPN's BottomLine that Peavy will likely go to the Cubs or Braves within the week with the Dodgers as an outside possibility.

soxfan43
11-08-2008, 01:34 PM
Call me crazy but if this happens call me a genius! :D:

Coming out of nowhere, at the very last second, the Reds jump into talks for Jake Peavy and offer the Padres Johnny Cueto, Nick Masset, Brandon Phillips, and a top prospect for Peavy and 1 or 2 bench/role players.

The new Reds starting rotation: Peavy/Volquez/Harang/Arroyo/Owings. Not bad at all. They'll probably need to sign a big bat also but Bruce/Votto/Keppinger/Freel/Encarnacion are not a bad looking offense. Add a big bat or 2 and you're good to dominate that division for years to come.

Of course Peavy has to OK the trade to Cincy and he probably won't because it's not a pitcher's ballpark but you're going to tell me Wrigley is??

Not a chance in hell he's going to approve a trade to Cincy. Come on. They are not going to contend anytime soon, have Dusty as the mgr, and well, you'd be living in Cincy.

Dan Mega
11-08-2008, 02:21 PM
I saw on ESPN's BottomLine that Peavy will likely go to the Cubs or Braves within the week with the Dodgers as an outside possibility.

Will this be before or after the Cubs get Brian Roberts, A-Rod, and Mickey Mantle?

btrain929
11-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Not a chance in hell he's going to approve a trade to Cincy. Come on. They are not going to contend anytime soon, have Dusty as the mgr, and well, you'd be living in Cincy.

I don't know if I'd give up Phillips and Cueto for Peavy, anyways.

WhiteSoxFan84
11-08-2008, 05:17 PM
I don't know if I'd give up Phillips and Cueto for Peavy, anyways.

I'd easily mistake you for the GM of any of the following teams: Pirates, Royals, Rangers, and Orioles.

The Reds would do that in a HEARTBEAT.

turners56
11-08-2008, 05:21 PM
I'd easily mistake you for the GM of any of the following teams: Pirates, Royals, Rangers, and Orioles.

The Reds would do that in a HEARTBEAT.

Can you imagine Peavy and Volquez in the same rotation? Daymn.

WhiteSoxFan84
11-08-2008, 05:22 PM
Can you imagine Peavy and Volquez in the same rotation? Daymn.

That'd be amazing. Throw in Harang who has great stuff and up until last season was very good. Then Bronson Arroyo and Micah Owings as the back end? Sick.

WhiteSoxFan84
11-08-2008, 05:23 PM
Will this be before or after the Cubs get Brian Roberts, A-Rod, and Mickey Mantle?

Worst post of the year. The Cubs can't get A-Rod, stupid! :redneck

chaerulez
11-08-2008, 05:27 PM
Even if the Cubs get Peavy (which would deplete their already weak farm system), that means Dempster isn't coming back unless their payroll is going to jump over $160 million which I don't see happening. That probably also means no more Kerry Wood. Bullpens can be drastically different between seasons so they could still get by without Wood, but their rotation would be better but not incredibly better as Dempster had a good year this season. And it doesn't solve the Cubs other problems, such as not having a dependable left handed bat and the fact that Soriano and his .320 OBP leads off.

JermaineDye05
11-11-2008, 06:33 PM
They were discussing this on Boers and Bernstein.

They said it's true the Cubs are going after Peavy, but they won't throw Samardjjjjia in. The Cubs are offering Felix Pie/Ronnie Cedeno/Kevin Hart and Bobby Howry if they want. The Cubs are trying to involve a 3rd team right now.

:rolling::rolling::rolling:

Boondock Saint
11-11-2008, 06:43 PM

They said it's true the Cubs are going after Peavy, but they won't throw Samardjjjjia in. The Cubs are offering Felix Pie/Ronnie Cedeno/Kevin Hart and Bobby Howry if they want. The Cubs are trying to involve a 3rd team right now.

If that is what the Cubs are offering, that's the weakest piece of garbage deal I've ever seen offered. All four of those guys suck, and they think it's going to pull in a perennial Cy Young candidate?

veeter
11-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Didn't you hear? The cubs are owed a championship.

Domeshot17
11-11-2008, 06:53 PM
I read on ESPN that the Cubs are trying to build their deal around Vitters and Pie, but because of their lack of pitching prospects need to get a 3rd team involved to do anything

veeter
11-11-2008, 06:58 PM

:rolling::rolling::rolling:Shame on San Diego if Samardja would be the deal maker. Talk about selling high. Kyle Farnsworth waiting-to-happen, is keeping the cubs from getting Peavy? They should be asking for Marmol. This should be a no-brainer, but see that's what Hendry has, no brain. God bless him.

JermaineDye05
11-11-2008, 06:58 PM
I read on ESPN that the Cubs are trying to build their deal around Vitters and Pie, but because of their lack of pitching prospects need to get a 3rd team involved to do anything

Vitters surrounded by garbage still is laughable for Peavy. If the Cubs want him they should at least put Samardjia and/or Soto in there. How are they going to get a third team involved? They won't just throw the Cubs a good prospect for ****, they're going to want something good back in return.

Lip Man 1
11-11-2008, 07:12 PM
ESPN is reporting the Padres and Braves continue to make progress towards a deal. They also say the Cubs do not have the pitching prospects the Padres are insisting on and are trying to get a 3rd team involved in order to make a deal work.

Sounds like he's going to Atlanta since they appear to have what San Diego wants without complicating the issue by involving a 3rd club.

Lip

Sockinchisox
11-11-2008, 07:18 PM

Keith Law was on a radio show and said that there is no way the Padres would trade Peavy to the Cubs for for any package of those players. And that it was a joke that the media are throwing those names around.

JermaineDye05
11-11-2008, 07:34 PM
I'm arguing with my Cub fan friend right now about the Cubs chances at Peavy, right now he's saying that Peavy has said that he will veto a trade to the Braves if Escobar is part of the deal I haven't heard this anywhere if true it's pretty ridiculous. He also states that "Felix Pie still has value". I realize he's 23, but isn't he basically a left handed version of Brian Anderson right now? He also mentioned the Cubs could offer this relief prospect Ceda, and the Cubs could just take Brian Giles in the process too. I'm sorry I'm not a Cub fan and don't follow their minor leagues, but I was under the impression that their system is basically depleted and they don't have too many good prospects they can trade.

cbrownson13
11-11-2008, 07:49 PM
I'm arguing with my Cub fan friend right now about the Cubs chances at Peavy, right now he's saying that Peavy has said that he will veto a trade to the Braves if Escobar is part of the deal I haven't heard this anywhere if true it's pretty ridiculous. He also states that "Felix Pie still has value". I realize he's 23, but isn't he basically a left handed version of Brian Anderson right now? He also mentioned the Cubs could offer this relief prospect Ceda, and the Cubs could just take Brian Giles in the process too. I'm sorry I'm not a Cub fan and don't follow their minor leagues, but I was under the impression that their system is basically depleted and they don't have too many good prospects they can trade.

Peavy did say if he's going to Atlanta, he wants Escobar to be there. You're right, Pie isn't looking like he will amount to anything more than Corey Patterson ever did. But a guy that young with speed and defense will always be valuable. Ceda is a good prospect as well as Donnie Veal and Josh Vitters. The Cubs do look like a front runner right now, but I think the Padres would be better off waiting. I think anything the Cubs and Braves are offering right now is less than what they should get.

getonbckthr
Supposedly they are entertaining the idea of moving Derrek Lee to acquire the needed pieces for SD. It hinges on Lee waiving his NTC. That would open a team up for Swisher or Konerko potentially.

btrain929
1) Pie might be involved, but as a throw-in, not as a centerpiece. Somebody will still take a chance on him cuz he's still young.
2) Ceda is young and has put up decent stats in the past, but he's a reliever. Again, you don't center a Peavy deal around a minor league reliever.
3) Giles has a no trade clause. By no means is he a "throw-in." With his good D and great OBP, he will bring something decent back to SD. If I were the Cubs, I'd stop with the Peavy ****, and just focus on getting Giles. He's the left-handed RF they need.

Cubs aren't getting Peavy.

btrain929
11-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Peavy did say if he's going to Atlanta, he wants Escobar to be there. You're right, Pie isn't looking like he will amount to anything more than Corey Patterson ever did. But a guy that young with speed and defense will always be valuable. Ceda is a good prospect as well as Donnie Veal and Josh Vitters. The Cubs do look like a front runner right now, but I think the Padres would be better off waiting. I think anything the Cubs and Braves are offering right now is less than what they should get.

Donald Veal is utter garbage. He dominated A ball in '06, and has been absolutely brutal ever since.

Tragg
11-11-2008, 08:07 PM

Hendry threw Howry in...whew, what a sweetener!

I think Kenny should trump that offer with Anderson, Uribe, a prospect and MacDougal.

getonbckthr
11-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Donald Veal is utter garbage. He dominated A ball in '06, and has been absolutely brutal ever since.
You're the first person I have ever heard or read say that.

Tragg
11-11-2008, 08:16 PM
The Cubs certainly hype their prospects.

Rockabilly
11-11-2008, 08:23 PM
How can the Cubs throw in Howry..

When he is a free agent... I can't believe he is a type A

btrain929
11-11-2008, 08:24 PM
You're the first person I have ever heard or read say that.

Well, from 2006 til now, his hits given up have drastically increased, his HR's allowed have gone up, his strikeouts have dropped drastically, his ERA has doubled, and his WHIP has climbed.

1908<2005
11-11-2008, 08:26 PM
The Cubs certainly hype their prospects.

At least they have prospects. We have s***.

oeo
11-11-2008, 08:29 PM

Or maybe it's just the hyping?

The Sox do have good talent in the lower minors. We're not completely on empty, just damn close to it in the upper minors. I guess back-to-back awful drafts will do that to you.

russ99
11-11-2008, 08:31 PM

One man's trash is another's treasure.

I don't have a high opinion of Pie, Hill, Cedeno, Cerda, Fuld and Veal. IMO they're comparable to our high level prospects, (such Owens, Fields, Richard, Getz, Broadway, etc.) and you won't get a guy like Peavy by throwing in Fukudome, Marshall or Marquis.

Vitters is the only guy I'd consider a high value asset.

Samardjiha would fit the bill too, but he has a NTC, and the Cubs won't be dealing Marmol for good reason.

Typical Cub fans A) overvaluing their prospects and B) assuming Hendry can work miracles and deal garbage for an All-Star, just like last year during the Roberts speculation. The only reason Hendry could do that in the Harden deal is bacause Harden was damaged goods.

The idea that the Cubs need a third team to make even a close offer takes them out of the running. It's between the Braves and Dodgers, as before.

getonbckthr
11-11-2008, 08:38 PM
For his own personal career I think a move to SD would greatly benefit Pie.

champagne030
11-11-2008, 08:39 PM

Front runner for what? Unless the offer has started with Vitters and Marmol and they've got a third team lined up to provide a quality starter prospect they're playing catchup to the Braves. Peavy was raised in Alabama and still lives there. He's not going to veto Atlanta. And Veal hasn't been a good prospect for a couple of years.

Donald Veal is utter garbage. He dominated A ball in '06, and has been absolutely brutal ever since. I don't know about utter garbage, but he's certainly not anybody who excites the Padres or anyone else.

You're the first person I have ever heard or read say that. You probably don't hear much truth on the Flubbies board.

cbrownson13
11-11-2008, 08:50 PM
Front runner for what? Unless the offer has started with Vitters and Marmol and they've got a third team lined up to provide a quality starter prospect they're playing catchup to the Braves. Peavy was raised in Alabama and still lives there. He's not going to veto Atlanta. And Veal hasn't been a good prospect for a couple of years.

I don't know about utter garbage, but he's certainly not anybody who excites the Padres or anyone else.

You probably don't hear much truth on the Flubbies board.

Peavy and his agent have both been quoted saying they would like Escobar to stay in Atlanta if Peavy is going to be traded there.

Go to the link and read the third entry down. There's a quote from Axelrod

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=mlb&id=3412

champagne030
11-11-2008, 09:07 PM
Peavy and his agent have both been quoted saying they would like Escobar to stay in Atlanta if Peavy is going to be traded there.

Go to the link and read the third entry down. There's a quote from Axelrod

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=mlb&id=3412

I think the point you're missing is "would like".

cbrownson13
11-11-2008, 09:09 PM
I think the point you're missing is "would like".

He has a no trade clause...it's all about what he likes.

champagne030
11-11-2008, 09:17 PM
He has a no trade clause...it's all about what he likes.

He likes Alabama and that's pretty darn close to Atlanta. And the Braves can and would acquire another SS if Escobar is dealt. The Braves are trying to trade for Peavy and that would be planning on winning now. Peavy, and his agent, expressed a desire that an potential suitor not gut their current team to acquire him. He's already got that in SD. I've yet to see anything close to a statement of "Atlanta isn't a good fit if they're giving up Escobar for me/him".

cbrownson13
11-11-2008, 09:26 PM
He likes Alabama and that's pretty darn close to Atlanta. And the Braves can and would acquire another SS if Escobar is dealt. The Braves are trying to trade for Peavy and that would be planning on winning now. Peavy, and his agent, expressed a desire that an potential suitor not gut their current team to acquire him. He's already got that in SD. I've yet to see anything close to a statement of "Atlanta isn't a good fit if they're giving up Escobar for me/him".

If we're talking about who has the better chance to win now, the Cubs or Braves, how do you figure Peavy gives the Braves a better chance to win than the Cubs? The Braves would be giving up their best young offensive player and are in a division with the World Series champs and the Mets. The Cubs are in a division with no major threat who can give up talent without hurting their Major League roster. Any combination of Smardija, Marshall, Cedeno, Veal, Vitters, Ceda, etc. would not effect the Cubs roster at the Major League level.

And he basically did say Atlanta wouldn't be a good fit if they gave up Escobar. Did you read the quote from Axelrod?

champagne030
11-11-2008, 09:51 PM
If we're talking about who has the better chance to win now, the Cubs or Braves, how do you figure Peavy gives the Braves a better chance to win than the Cubs? The Braves would be giving up their best young offensive player and are in a division with the World Series champs and the Mets. The Cubs are in a division with no major threat who can give up talent without hurting their Major League roster. Any combination of Smardija, Marshall, Cedeno, Veal, Vitters, Ceda, etc. would not effect the Cubs roster at the Major League level.

And he basically did say Atlanta wouldn't be a good fit if they gave up Escobar. Did you read the quote from Axelrod?

Samardzija has a no trade clause, so he's not going anywhere. Marshall, Cedeno and Veal are fodder and Ceda is an okay prospect. Vitters and that pile won't get Peavy.

My point about winning now was that the Braves were not going to trade for Peavy and then let Lillibridge play short. They'll go out and acquire a starting SS because they're playing to win now.

And no, Axelrod didn't say Atlanta wouldn't be a good fit. He said that they would need to question how much a team is going to give up to get Escobar. Heck, the Braves could be in the Market for Cabrera and they wouldn't lose anything next year minus Escobar. Kelly Johnson is on the market and maybe it'll be a package for a SS.

And who are the Cubs going to dump to add Peavy's salary? Dempster and Wood? Nice bullpen.

eaganmafia
11-11-2008, 10:15 PM
Why are people getting so worked up over Peavy going to the Cubs.

champagne030
11-11-2008, 10:17 PM

Don't get salty because he's not going to the Twins.

eaganmafia
11-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Don't get salty because he's not going to the Twins.

ok?

cbrownson13
11-11-2008, 10:26 PM
Samardzija has a no trade clause, so he's not going anywhere. Marshall, Cedeno and Veal are fodder and Ceda is an okay prospect. Vitters and that pile won't get Peavy.

My point about winning now was that the Braves were not going to trade for Peavy and then let Lillibridge play short. They'll go out and acquire a starting SS because they're playing to win now.

And no, Axelrod didn't say Atlanta wouldn't be a good fit. He said that they would need to question how much a team is going to give up to get Escobar. Heck, the Braves could be in the Market for Cabrera and they wouldn't lose anything next year minus Escobar. Kelly Johnson is on the market and maybe it'll be a package for a SS.

And who are the Cubs going to dump to add Peavy's salary? Dempster and Wood? Nice bullpen.

My original argument wasn't that he wouldn't or shouldn't go to the Braves or that the Braves don't have what it takes to get him, they do. It was that the Cubs have been reported to be the front runners because of reasons stated. If I'm Jake Peavy and I want to win, I accept a trade to the Cubs before I do to the Braves for obvious reasons. Just because he's from Alabama isn't going to be a huge factor in this. Mobile, AL is over 5 hours from Atlanta. Whether he's in Chicago or Atlanta, he's still getting on a plane to travel home. He has a full no trade clause, Atlanta and Chicago have both been stated as places where he would accept a trade to.

And if please don't compare Escobar to Cabrera. Escobar is 26, on the verge of becoming a star in this league.

cbrownson13
11-11-2008, 10:28 PM

I'm not the least bit worked up. Just simply having a discussion about where he'll end up because I'm interested in it. Good for the Cubs if they are able to land such a quality pitcher.

kittle42
11-11-2008, 11:13 PM

I'm the first one to jump on Cubsession and I want him nowhere near the Cubs.

WhiteSoxOnly
11-11-2008, 11:36 PM
I'm the first one to jump on Cubsession and I want him nowhere near the Cubs.

Just imagine the next load of blue bs eminating from the
North Side should this happen...:duck:

champagne030
11-11-2008, 11:36 PM
My original argument wasn't that he wouldn't or shouldn't go to the Braves or that the Braves don't have what it takes to get him, they do. It was that the Cubs have been reported to be the front runners because of reasons stated. If I'm Jake Peavy and I want to win, I accept a trade to the Cubs before I do to the Braves for obvious reasons. Just because he's from Alabama isn't going to be a huge factor in this. Mobile, AL is over 5 hours from Atlanta. Whether he's in Chicago or Atlanta, he's still getting on a plane to travel home. He has a full no trade clause, Atlanta and Chicago have both been stated as places where he would accept a trade to.

And if please don't compare Escobar to Cabrera. Escobar is 26, on the verge of becoming a star in this league.

I haven't seen anywhere, other than your posts, that the Cubs are the front runners. I don't think the location of Atlanta is a "huge" factor either, but it's still a factor. Just like I don't think Escobar leaving is a "huge" factor in Peavy accepting the trade. I expect Peavy to approve being dealt if the Padres and Braves agree on compensation. And, from all reports, the Braves are offering a lot more than the Cubs.

And I will compare Escobar to Cabrera for 2009. He looked like he was on the verge of becoming a star after 2007, but really didn't build upon that in 2008. Obviously, I'd rather have Escobar going forward, but I only see him being more valuable in '09 because he'll be a hell of a lot cheaper - not "on the field" wise.

NLaloosh
11-12-2008, 09:41 AM
I hope the flubs get him after unloading Vitters and others. Then, I hope Dempster signs elsewhere.

Then, I'll predict that next year Peavey, Harden and Zambrano all land on th DL - and the flubbies miss the playoffs.

russ99
11-12-2008, 01:01 PM

Not worked up, just calling shenanigans on the (repeateted) idea that Hendry can spin trash and one good prospect into an All-Star.

It's one thing when the Cubs fans do it, but entirely another when respected sportswriters do it. Methinks it has something to do with the thought that the use of the word "Cubs" sells newspapers...

Just like "It's gonna happen" - they think if they say it enough it can come true, like in the Wizard of Oz. :D:

whitesox901
11-12-2008, 02:41 PM
Not worked up, just calling shenanigans on the (repeateted) idea that Hendry can spin trash and one good prospect into an All-Star.

It's one thing when the Cubs fans do it, but entirely another when respected sportswriters do it. Methinks it has something to do with the thought that the use of the word "Cubs" sells newspapers...

Just like "It's gonna happen" - they think if they say it enough it can come true, like in the Wizard of Oz. :D:

http://l.yimg.com/img.movies.yahoo.com/ymv/us/img/hv/photo/movie_pix/warner_home/the_wizard_of_oz/ray_bolger/wizardofoz1.jpg
"Hello Towers? Its me Hendry, I'll give you Pie for Peavy plus Cash"

palehozenychicty
11-12-2008, 03:00 PM

Indeed. Towers better get at least Samardzjia and Vitters in the package, otherwise that mandate to lower payroll is serious.