PDA

View Full Version : Javy Trade Idea

Ditka v. God
10-30-2008, 05:48 PM
I've been thinking about potential suitors for Javy this offseason and thought that the Phillies might make a good match for us.

What about this deal:

Javy for Jayson Werth and Greg Dobbs

This deal makes sense for the Phillies since they will most likely need a solid starter to replace Jamie Moyer if/when he retires and Javy could be a solid innings-eater and strikeout artist for them.

Werth could fill the glaring void in CF with a decent glove and range as well as make a useful #2 hitter for our lineup with his combination of speed and power.

Dobbs could be a nice addition for 3rd base and put up similar stats as Crede's this year if given a full-time spot in the lineup.

I'd like to see Kenny drop some coin on another starter like Derek Lowe or even Garland (if the price isn't too high) to replace Javy as our #4 in the rotation. With this trade we could still try to get Figgins from the Angels to fill in for 2nd base.

Our new lineup would be pretty balanced if these moves were made:

1- Figgins (2nd Base)
2- Werth (CF)
3- Quentin (LF)
4- Thome (DH)
5- Dye (RF)
6- Alexei (SS)
7- A.J. (C)
8- Swisher (1st Base)
9- Dobbs (3rd Base)

You could flip-flop Swisher and Dobbs for more OBP in the 9th spot. What does everyone think?

hellview
10-30-2008, 05:51 PM
I've read that they play on playing Dobbs in LF and letting Burrel walk.

Rockabilly
10-30-2008, 05:53 PM
since the Brewers might be losing both C.C and Sheets and they have a hot shot SS in the minors who is ready for the majors..

how about we send Javy to Milw for JJ Hardy

10-30-2008, 05:55 PM
since the Brewers might be losing both C.C and Sheets and they have a hot shot SS in the minors who is ready for the majors..

I would not be surprised to see a deal between the Sox and the Brewers this winter.

Lukin13
10-30-2008, 05:56 PM
I like the effort but I think there is a flaw with this particular deal.

Derek Lowe can be had for a contract fairly similar to what is remaining on Javy's deal.

So it is pretty easy when playing fantasy gm to give away Javy in exchange for two starting position players and then just replace him with Lowe.

But if you are the Phillies why not just pay Lowe and give up nothing?

hellview
10-30-2008, 05:59 PM

Why would the Brewers want Javy's contract. The Brewers could get young cheap pitching if they put Hardy on the market.

Ditka v. God
10-30-2008, 06:09 PM

Derek Lowe can be had for a contract fairly similar to what is remaining on Javy's deal.

So it is pretty easy when playing fantasy gm to give away Javy in exchange for two starting position players and then just replace him with Lowe.

Javy is more of a power pitcher than Lowe which could work well in the NL more than the AL plus Javy has the younger, fresher arm which would be attractive to the Phils considering how barren their minors are of pitching prospects.

We could be willing to deal with an older Lowe in our starting rotation due to the fact that we have more starting pitching prospects in the minors (Poreda, Egbert, Broadway, Richard, etc.)

Bottom line, Lowe is a good stopgap for a team with young pitchers on the rise while Javy is a good option for an already established team looking for a competent power arm. But you've got a point that Philly could just go out and drop the money on Lowe in the first place.

DumpJerry
10-30-2008, 06:13 PM

The White Sox have a hot shot SS already.
http://redstatebluestate.mlblogs.com/alexei_ramirez.jpg

PalehosePlanet
10-31-2008, 12:59 AM
Werth is barely a servicable corner outfielder, what makes anyone think that he could handle CF?

Also, Scott Boras is Lowe's agent. The Sox will not sign him, end of story.

thedudeabides
10-31-2008, 10:33 AM
Werth is barely a servicable corner outfielder, what makes anyone think that he could handle CF?

This is all true. Werth has played CF some for the Dodgers and filled in at times with the Phillies. He is not a very strong outfielder reading balls off the bat which limits his range. He is alright in RF because he has a strong arm. He is not a good CF. Swisher is better in CF than Werth. He was originally a catcher in the minors.

I think the previous poster was talking about the Phillies signing Lowe. Which isn't a bad idea for them. It's a better idea than trading for Javy and they have Burell's monster contract coming off the books.

Lukin13
10-31-2008, 02:40 PM

I wasn't advocating KW signing Lowe, I was pointing out that it is very common to read theories similar to this one:

White Sox Trade Player X to a National League team in exchange for two other players that fit into our lineup.

Then the White Sox sign player Y who is very similar to player X, and we don't miss a beat.

What I am pointing out is why wouldn't the National League team just sign player Y without giving up anything to the White Sox?

This exact scenario happens on this site and others on a daily basis and it makes very little sense to me.

Trades generally go down when teams deal from strength, youth or to dump salary.

russ99
10-31-2008, 02:54 PM

That's the thing. Kenny should wait until the top-tier FA pitchers get signed, then the demand will go sky high.

California Sox
10-31-2008, 06:29 PM

I think we're all going to be horrified by how much Lowe ends up getting. Remember, it only takes one team.

Of course, I'm horrified at how much Javy makes too.

fozzy
11-02-2008, 12:28 AM
i have a feeling some team is going to be stupid enough to give lowe 15 mil a year. all the sudden javy at 11 isn't that bad. i'd like to see javy traded to the braves for kelly johnson and prospects. that would solve our 2nd base problem and give us a lead-off hitter.

BadBobbyJenks
11-02-2008, 03:34 AM
I think we're all going to be horrified by how much Lowe ends up getting. Remember, it only takes one team.

Of course, I'm horrified at how much Javy makes too.

I think the team that loses out on CC and Burnett is going to make Lowe a very rich man.