PDA

View Full Version : Sox working on 2 block buster deals, that will shock Sox fans

Rockabilly
10-30-2008, 04:54 PM
I am sorry if this thread has been done but I haven't seen it..

On WSCR Steve Stone said a few days ago, that the Sox are working on something big..

this is his blog he mentions it again towards the bottom

http://www.stevestone.com/StevesPitch2.html

chisoxmike
10-30-2008, 05:00 PM
I don't really get the connection between the thread title and what Stone wrote.

oeo
10-30-2008, 05:00 PM
Well, hopefully nothing gets out as to what they are until it's a done deal. That's been a killer the last couple of years.

Rockabilly
10-30-2008, 05:02 PM
I don't really get the connection between the thread title and what Stone wrote.

When Stone was on WSCR . he said that KW will shock the Sox fans with possiblilty the 2 block buster deals that he is working on..

palehozenychicty
10-30-2008, 05:02 PM
It seems like much ado about nothing. You can't even read the full statement, since it's covered by a graphic in the right hand corner.

oeo
10-30-2008, 05:03 PM
It seems like much ado about nothing. You can't even read the full statement, since it's covered by a graphic in the right hand corner.

Methinks you should get a new browser.

turners56
10-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Hmmm...interesting.

Rockabilly
10-30-2008, 05:13 PM

MOD EDIT: Copyrighted text

Rockabilly
10-30-2008, 05:24 PM
I am thinking that one of the block buster deals is Konerko to the west coast..

jabrch
10-30-2008, 05:24 PM
It seems like much ado about nothing.

Would you be surprised if "KW was working on two different blockbuster deals"?

Hell - if any GM WAS NOT doing that, I'd be surprised. With Williams, I'd be even less surprised. He's always working on big things.

Craig Grebeck
10-30-2008, 05:25 PM
Ok.

oeo
10-30-2008, 05:25 PM
I believe that Kenny has at least one, possible 2 blockbuster deals that he will participate in; one that I am not at liberty to discuss at this point and a couple others that I can only guess at.

But the Sox know that he have some work to do because the Indians will get better, Detroit will get older and Minnesota is always pretty tough

from the steve stone blog that you couldn't see

I like how he mentions the Indians and Twins being our main competitors, while the Tigers 'will get older.' :lol:

I think we're awfully close to making another run at a title. Kenny realizes that too, and is going after it.

Rockabilly
10-30-2008, 05:32 PM
I can't wait to hear Stoney in the TV booth with Hawk...

Should be a very fun season on the south side

areilly
10-30-2008, 05:35 PM
Can't you people read? Obviously Stone is talking about these long-rumored deals:

1. Konerko and Thome to LAA, Vlad + Donnelly to NYY, Alex Rodriguez to CHW
2. JD, Thornton and Alexei to BOS, Ortiz and Pedroia to TEX, Hamilton and Blalock to SD, Peavy and Adrian Gonzalez and PTBN to ATL, Chipper Jones and Tim Hudson to CHW

Selig is holding it up to allow the Tribune enough time to run a 40,000 word op-ed piece slamming the Sox written in tandem by Richard Russo, Peter Gammons and Chuck Klosterman.

DumpJerry
10-30-2008, 05:37 PM
I won't believe any rumors until Otis tells us what is going down.

turners56
10-30-2008, 05:41 PM
Can't you people read? Obviously Stone is talking about these long-rumored deals:

1. Konerko and Thome to LAA, Vlad + Donnelly to NYY, Alex Rodriguez to CHW
2. JD, Thornton and Alexei to BOS, Ortiz and Pedroia to TEX, Hamilton and Blalock to SD, Peavy and Adrian Gonzalez and PTBN to ATL, Chipper Jones and Tim Hudson to CHW

Selig is holding it up to allow the Tribune enough time to run a 40,000 word op-ed piece slamming the Sox written in tandem by Richard Russo, Peter Gammons and Chuck Klosterman.

Chipper Jones and Tim Hudson? Pfft, they're not half the players Thome and Konerko are.

GreenWoman3212
10-30-2008, 06:11 PM
But would trading Konerko shock Sox fans? I mean, I wouldn't be shocked if he were traded.

JermaineDye05
10-30-2008, 06:21 PM
As long as Gavin/Danks/TCQ are not a part of any deal I'm fine.

btrain929
10-30-2008, 06:25 PM

Swap of bad contracts, Konerko for Eric Byrnes?

GreenWoman3212
10-30-2008, 06:25 PM
I'd like to keep TCM and AJ as well.

Craig Grebeck
10-30-2008, 06:31 PM
Swap of bad contracts, Konerko for Eric Byrnes?
I've stared at this for thirty seconds and concluded you must be joking.

btrain929
10-30-2008, 06:32 PM
I've stared at this for thirty seconds and concluded you must be joking.

You are the winner.

Zisk77
10-30-2008, 07:08 PM
I wonder if the WSI pipedream may become available as he is nearing the end of his contract and the TB outfield is starting to get crowded? Hmmm

btrain929
10-30-2008, 07:12 PM
I wonder if the WSI pipedream may become available as he is nearing the end of his contract and the TB outfield is starting to get crowded? Hmmm

TB's outfield is not crowded. There's Upton, then nobody. Baldelli is a FA, then you have Gross, Zobrist, Cliff Floyd. You're right, they can trade him and not miss a beat....

.....but seriously, that'd be awesome.

turners56
10-30-2008, 07:27 PM
TB's outfield is not crowded. There's Upton, then nobody. Baldelli is a FA, then you have Gross, Zobrist, Cliff Floyd. You're right, they can trade him and not miss a beat....

What happened to Carl Crawford?

LoveYourSuit
10-30-2008, 07:30 PM

I had a good amount of looks at Crawford this year ...... over-rated in my book.

He can't play center nor he wants to lead off....what purpse would he serve us?

I have turned my page on him for 2 years now.

Terry Boers the other day was discussing that the G Anderson departure from ANA might open the door for a possible Jermaine Dye deal to them to DH. I would figure that if ANA is vacating the DH positon, it is to get Vlad in there for the rest of his career. Vlad and Dye are pretty much the same guys with the glove in RF.

gogosox16
10-30-2008, 07:32 PM
I had a good amount of looks at Crawford this year ...... over-rated in my book.

Terry Boers the other day was discussing that the G Anderson departure from ANA might open the door for a possible Jermaine Dye deal to them to DH. I would figure that if ANA is vacating the DH positon, it is to get Vlad in there for the rest of his career. Vlad and Dye are pretty much the same guys with the glove in RF.
But not the Arm

october23sp
10-30-2008, 08:39 PM
Keep Danks, Floyd, TCM, TCQ, AJ and Im happy

GreenWoman3212
10-30-2008, 08:45 PM
Keep Danks, Floyd, TCM, TCQ, AJ and Im happy
Agreed. Mark too.

oeo
10-30-2008, 08:58 PM

You're using the worst year of his career to say he's overrated? The guy has improved every year in the league, and had an off year this year. Believe what you want, I guess, but Carl Crawford is pretty damn good. 20+ HR potential, 50+ SB, .300+ average. Could you imagine locking him up long term with TCQ and Alexei? That's a nice new core right there...very nice.

CashMan
10-30-2008, 09:06 PM
You're using the worst year of his career to say he's overrated? The guy has improved every year in the league, and had an off year this year. Believe what you want, I guess, but Carl Crawford is pretty damn good. 20+ HR potential, 50+ SB, .300+ average. Could you imagine locking him up long term with TCQ and Alexei? That's a nice new core right there...very nice.

Crawford is a sexy player. Too bad Tampa will have him for a while.

oeo
10-30-2008, 09:19 PM
Crawford is a sexy player. Too bad Tampa will have him for a while.

Oh yeah. With the pennant under their belt, they should re-sign him this offseason. We'll see how committed they are, though.

CashMan
10-30-2008, 09:23 PM
Oh yeah. With the pennant under their belt, they should re-sign him this offseason. We'll see how committed they are, though.

If he is a FA, I would hope Kenny would gobble him up. I thought he was under contract.

veeter
10-30-2008, 09:24 PM
In kenny we trust

october23sp
10-30-2008, 09:27 PM

Crawford would be excellent for us. He'd be a better version of Podsednik

oeo
10-30-2008, 09:33 PM
If he is a FA, I would hope Kenny would gobble him up. I thought he was under contract.

He is under contract for 2009, but a free agent afterwards. The Rays would be smart to lock him up this offseason, but they haven't shown that type of commitment yet, so we'll see.

Brian26
10-30-2008, 10:03 PM

I'd rather have Peavy, Gonzalez and the PTBNL. Leave ATL out of it.

TheOldRoman
10-30-2008, 10:09 PM
If it is a huge deal that will "shock" Sox fans, I wouldn't be surprised if it includes moving Bobby Jenks.

Domeshot17
10-30-2008, 10:18 PM
Im hoping it brings in one Brian Roberts

turners56
10-30-2008, 10:20 PM

I don't think he was serious about that...

FedEx227
10-30-2008, 10:29 PM
I think it probably involves Jenks.

Rockabilly
10-30-2008, 10:31 PM
who could we get for Jenks

CashMan
10-30-2008, 10:31 PM

Have you seen Peavys number away from the pitchers park?

BadBobbyJenks
10-30-2008, 10:42 PM
Have you seen Peavys number away from the pitchers park?

Have you?

Taliesinrk
10-30-2008, 10:43 PM
KW isn't dumb enough to trade Jenks without getting someone who's proven at the back end of the BP. I mean I understand it could net the Sox a nice return and would "shock" us, but with our BP problems the past few years, I feel like it'd be going backwards from what we've been trying to do (solidify our pitching after the starters leave)

Vernam
10-30-2008, 10:47 PM
I think it probably involves Jenks.Nobody's untouchable, as they say, but Bobby is quite the fan favorite. Without him, our 'pen has no mojo, unless you count Thornton. I wonder if they're starting to see Thornton as a closer. I sure don't.

Vernam

Domeshot17
10-30-2008, 10:52 PM
KW isn't dumb enough to trade Jenks without getting someone who's proven at the back end of the BP. I mean I understand it could net the Sox a nice return and would "shock" us, but with our BP problems the past few years, I feel like it'd be going backwards from what we've been trying to do (solidify our pitching after the starters leave)

yup, look at the disaster when Bobby Went down this year. Linebrink for whatever reason is made for the 8th inning, aweful in the 9th. Thornton sucked closing, Dotel, well once the league figured out he throws a 93 mph straight fastball with nothing else, they put up an era over 5 on him. Dotel was 1 of 5 in save chances. I hope we can trade him, because hes going to keep getting hit next year.

soxfan43
10-30-2008, 10:54 PM
If it is a huge deal that will "shock" Sox fans, I wouldn't be surprised if it includes moving Bobby Jenks.

MY thoughts exactly. With him being due for arbitration it definitely wouldn't shock me to see him moved. I'm not that clear on the whole arbitration stuff, how many years is he arb. eligble before hitting actual free agency?

Zisk77
10-30-2008, 10:59 PM

umm they have young stud Fernado Perez and others in the minors as well. I didn't say anything about missing a beat either.

CWSpalehoseCWS
10-30-2008, 11:16 PM
I thinking any big trade will involve Dye being moved.

areilly
10-30-2008, 11:20 PM
I think it probably involves Jenks.

I could be wrong, but I believe Buehrle's no-trade protection doesn't kick in until sometime mid-2009. And moving him would definitely shock both the casual fans who know him as half the face of the franchise and the hardcore who understand why he's a good pitcher.

cburns
10-30-2008, 11:29 PM
Thornton sucked closing, Dotel, well once the league figured out he throws a 93 mph straight fastball with nothing else, they put up an era over 5 on him.

It's not like Dotel is Shingo or even David Aardsma. He's been in the American League for a while, he's been in the MLB for a while. No one is just "figuring him out". Dotel can be a valuable part of the bullpen, but he is what he is.

BadBobbyJenks
10-30-2008, 11:40 PM
I thinking any big trade will involve Dye being moved.

These are my thoughts as well.

Craig Grebeck
10-30-2008, 11:42 PM
Crawford would be excellent for us. He'd be a better version of Podsednik
That's like saying Prince Fielder is a better version of Lyle Overbay.

champagne030
10-31-2008, 12:00 AM
That's like saying Prince Fielder is a better version of Lyle Overbay.

Yes, it is, but I'd at least kick the tires. Crawford would be fantastic for our team. He's a complete dumbass on the bases, but would help us a ton............

btrain929
10-31-2008, 12:10 AM
Nobody's untouchable, as they say, but Bobby is quite the fan favorite. Without him, our 'pen has no mojo, unless you count Thornton. I wonder if they're starting to see Thornton as a closer. I sure don't.

Vernam

KW is not going to NOT trade somebody because he is a fan favorite. If he believes a trade offer for Jenks makes the team better, the deal is made, period.

btrain929
10-31-2008, 12:14 AM
Yes, it is, but I'd at least kick the tires. Crawford would be fantastic for our team. He's a complete dumbass on the bases, but would help us a ton............

Since 2005, Crawford has played 11 games in CF. He is a LF'er. Barring a Dye trade, we have a LF'er, and a damn good one.

NOT HAPPENING.

LoveYourSuit
10-31-2008, 12:16 AM

How does he fit in with us? Don't want to sound like Hawk, but where are you going to play him and hit him? He doesn't fill a hole for us right now.

He is an average LF at best and would be a horrible CF, and has refused to play CF in the past the same way he refuses to want to be a lead off hitter. He sees himself as middle of the order guy for some odd reason.

And by the way, he has a career .330 OBP%. For all the **** people give Juan Pierre, Pierre has a career .346 OBP%.

I see Crawford as a Johnny Damon in the making. He will sign some sick contract in the near future and half way thru it be out of wheels, hurt, and brittle. He already looks brittle to me.

If we are going to unload the amount talent to get a guy like Crawford, might as well send that package for the 1 year rental of Brian Reports. Solves 2 big problems with one shot. 2B and lead off hitter.

Brian Roberts is the guy to go get.

btrain929
10-31-2008, 12:17 AM

What happened to Carl Crawford?

That's who Zisk was talking about being available. My post was stating that he isn't because their OF isn't that crowded. Although I've read that TB is looking for a power hitting RF'er. So a Crawford-for-Dye swap would definitely be intriguing. Quentin to RF, and Crawford to LF. But then we still have a hole in CF unless BA is getting shot #2 this year.

SoxxoS
10-31-2008, 12:20 AM
I am sensing AROD for some reason. Nothing to base that off of, but if the Yankees pick up a substantial part of his salary, why not?

CashMan
10-31-2008, 12:23 AM
Have you?

4.28 ERA in the NL on the road.

btrain929
10-31-2008, 12:31 AM
I am sensing AROD for some reason. Nothing to base that off of, but if the Yankees pick up a substantial part of his salary, why not?

Don't.

Why would they pay a substantial part of his salary? He's is one of the best players in the game. They already have around 80 million coming off the books this offseason, so they aren't needing to shed more salary. And no, KW is not acquiring a 27-32 million dollar player. Plus, the apparent theme of this offseason is to get fast players into our system. Arod has speed, but he's a power hitter. I doubt that's at the top of KW's list. And if for the small possibility ARod was available, I'm sure there are other teams out there that could offer the Yanks more in return then we could.

BadBobbyJenks
10-31-2008, 12:37 AM
4.28 ERA in the NL on the road.

Last year it was 2.57
2006: 3.75 home, 4.57 road
2005: 2.81 home, 2.98 road
2004: 2.21 home, 2.33 road

CashMan
10-31-2008, 12:39 AM
Last year it was 2.57
2006: 3.75 home, 4.57 road
2005: 2.81 home, 2.98 road
2004: 2.21 home, 2.33 road

Where do you see that on this page?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?playerId=5019

btrain929
10-31-2008, 12:44 AM
Where do you see that on this page?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits?playerId=5019

You have to change the year to see the other ERA's of his career. You are just looking at his '08 ERA. He's not as bad on the road as people make him out to be.

But we're not pursuing him or have a shot at landing him, so who cares?

CashMan
10-31-2008, 12:47 AM
You have to change the year to see the other ERA's of his career. You are just looking at his '08 ERA. He's not as bad on the road as people make him out to be.

But we're not pursuing him or have a shot at landing him, so who cares?

I found that, but 2 of the last 3 years it wasn't soo good on the road. Unless I was in a pitchers park, I wouldn't touch him.

Kogs35
10-31-2008, 12:47 AM
john heyman was on miked up yesterday in ny on wfan and said johnny damon to whitesox was being discussed fwiw

ViPeRx007
10-31-2008, 12:56 AM
john heyman was on miked up yesterday in ny on wfan and said johnny damon to whitesox was being discussed fwiw

Interesting with the bat, but good grief his arm is terrible. The guy practically needs a cut off man to the cut off man.

oeo
10-31-2008, 01:00 AM

I wouldn't be shocked, I'd be a little ticked. I don't want another old guy, on the downswing, with a bad contract.

JermaineDye05
10-31-2008, 01:08 AM
Interesting with the bat, but good grief his arm is terrible. The guy practically needs a cut off man to the cut off man.

Manny actually pulled that one off.

oeo
10-31-2008, 01:45 AM
Manny actually pulled that one off.

One of the funniest plays of all time. :rolling:

JermaineDye05
10-31-2008, 01:54 AM
What are the chances Kenny is working a Javy for Wells/Rios or some other Jays outfielder. With Marcum going down and Burnett going to free agency (I think), the Jays are gonna need some more pitching if they want to compete. I'm not saying Javy would get you either Wells or Rios, but I could see those being the key players in a possible deal. Maybe Javy/Dye and prospects for Rios and I don't know who else? I doubt Rios is going anywhere, he's young and so promising.

btrain929
10-31-2008, 02:09 AM
I wouldn't be shocked, I'd be a little ticked. I don't want another old guy, on the downswing, with a bad contract.

Well outside of baseball, it wouldn't be a bad trade. Both Damon and Konerko are both considered Type B FA's when they hit the market. You need to be around 75pts or higher (approx) to be a Type A. Damon is around 73, while Konerko is around 61. So we'd have a chance to get better compensation with Damon.

Also, next year is the last year of Damon's deal. So it's either 1 year of Damon at 13 mil or 2 more years of Paulie at 12 mil. With us having Swisher, I'd rather go with the former.

From a statistical standpoint, the last 3 years, he's averaged approximately: 144 games, 17 hrs, 71 rbi, .286 avg, .362 obp, and 27 sb's. I'll take that from my leadoff man. I know his arm is bad, but offensively, he is close to what we need and what KW is looking for.

The only problem I see in this whole ordeal is Konerko's 10/5 rights. Would he approve a trade to NY? Maybe only if NY agreed to tack on 1 yr/15 mil at the end of his contract, I don't know. I don't think he'd be thrilled to accept it, but I also don't think he'd block it if he felt he wasn't wanted here anymore.

oeo
10-31-2008, 02:12 AM
Well outside of baseball, it wouldn't be a bad trade. Both Damon and Konerko are both considered Type B FA's when they hit the market. You need to be around 75pts or higher (approx) to be a Type A. Damon is around 73, while Konerko is around 61. So we'd have a chance to get better compensation with Damon.

Also, next year is the last year of Damon's deal. So it's either 1 year of Damon at 13 mil or 2 more years of Paulie at 12 mil. With us having Swisher, I'd rather go with the former.

From a statistical standpoint, the last 3 years, he's averaged approximately: 144 games, 17 hrs, 71 rbi, .286 avg, .362 obp, and 27 sb's. I'll take that from my leadoff man. I know his arm is bad, but offensively, he is close to what we need and what KW is looking for.

The only problem I see in this whole ordeal is Konerko's 10/5 rights. Would he approve a trade to NY? Maybe only if NY agreed to tack on 1 yr/15 mil at the end of his contract, I don't know. I don't think he'd be thrilled to accept it, but I also don't think he'd block it if he felt he wasn't wanted here anymore.

Wait, when was Konerko even mentioned in this proposed deal?

And no, I don't think he would approve a trade to any team on the east coast.

btrain929
10-31-2008, 02:16 AM
Wait, when was Konerko even mentioned in this proposed deal?

And no, I don't think he would approve a trade to any team on the east coast.

Haha, good point. I guess I just put 2 and 2 together since Giambi is coming off of their books, Tex might resign with ANA, and the trade would be very similar to the Garland/Cabrera trade: veteran for veteran. If Damon can be had for some prospects if they think he is expendable with Matsui/Nady/Cabrera/their young OF'ers, sure go for it.

Lundind1
10-31-2008, 02:25 AM
I would like to see a trade that would raid a young player or three from another team. I need more prospects. I thought that we got hosed when we let Sweeney go, I really do, even if it was for Swisher. I want some ideas of some players that we could get for a marquee one.

btrain929
10-31-2008, 03:34 AM
I would like to see a trade that would raid a young player or three from another team. I need more prospects. I thought that we got hosed when we let Sweeney go, I really do, even if it was for Swisher. I want some ideas of some players that we could get for a marquee one.

Sweeney is sooooooooo mediocre at best it's not even funny. ESPECIALLY as a corner OF'er.

You can take all the prospects you want, but I'd rather go after young MLB ready players like Danks, Quentin, and the '06/'07 version of Swisher coming into his prime (although that last one didn't work out as planned).

CashMan
10-31-2008, 08:28 AM
Sweeney is sooooooooo mediocre at best it's not even funny. ESPECIALLY as a corner OF'er.

You can take all the prospects you want, but I'd rather go after young MLB ready players like Danks, Quentin, and the '06/'07 version of Swisher coming into his prime (although that last one didn't work out as planned).

I am pretty sure for most of the season, Sweeney was hitting over .300.

btrain929
10-31-2008, 08:36 AM
I am pretty sure for most of the season, Sweeney was hitting over .300.

He slapped away, and some of the balls found grass, congratulations. When you're a corner OF'er, and you only have 5 HR's in 400 AB's, that's bad. The only way that's acceptable is if you're a leadoff guy and you have 40+ sb's next to your name. He had 9.

Plus, it's not like he was going to see any playing time anytime soon here anyways. He was so far down our depth chart, KW probably threw him in the deal as a favor for Ryan so he could start somewhere instead of rot in our minor league system.

DumpJerry
10-31-2008, 08:37 AM
I'm trying to figure out why the OP thinks it will shock Sox fans that the team is (purportedly) working on two blockbuster deals.......

forte
10-31-2008, 09:08 AM
he slapped away, and some of the balls found grass, congratulations. When you're a corner of'er, and you only have 5 hr's in 400 ab's, that's bad. The only way that's acceptable is if you're a leadoff guy and you have 40+ sb's next to your name. He had 9.

oh my god you used stats in your post you are a terrible person

jabrch
10-31-2008, 09:59 AM
I would like to see a trade that would raid a young player or three from another team.

A young player...like John Danks? Like Gavin Floyd? Like Thornton? Like Jenks? I'm confused. We have more great young players from other teams than teams have our great young players.

I need more prospects.

Prospects are nice - but their fail rate is so very high. I'd rather have MLB ready young players than prospects.

I thought that we got hosed when we let Sweeney go, I really do, even if it was for Swisher.

Really? Corner OF with no power and marginal speed - and you thought we got hosed? I was indifferent to the deal - but only because of Gio. DLS was so far away and Sweeney should never be much other than a 4th OF.

I want some ideas of some players that we could get for a marquee one.

I want more marquee players rather than a bunch of prospects who have a very high likelihood of washing out. Maybe that's just me.

palehozenychicty
10-31-2008, 10:01 AM

He'd easily be our best outfielder. Crawford, that is.

soxtalker
10-31-2008, 10:03 AM
The comment about "shocking" Sox fans is intriguing. I don't think that a trade involving Thome, Konerko, Javy, or Dye would fall into that category. We've had plenty of discussion around those players on WSI with plenty of people advocating both sides of trades involving these players. It's not that those players won't be part of trades, but the trades wouldn't be that big of a shock.

I'd guess that AJ has more value to us than other teams, so he's probably not likely to move. And I just don't see where moving any of the relievers other than Jenks would surprise Sox fans very much.

Now, the Jenks discussion above is probably more along the lines of what Stone could be alluding to. Maybe it is one of the other starters. And KW could probably get a lot for Alexi or Quentin. Any moves involving those players would shock Sox fans.

jabrch
10-31-2008, 10:06 AM
MY thoughts exactly. With him being due for arbitration it definitely wouldn't shock me to see him moved. I'm not that clear on the whole arbitration stuff, how many years is he arb. eligble before hitting actual free agency?

He is under our control for 3 more years. The Sox won't trade him because of his cost. If we trade him, it will be because someone is offering us something that makes us significantly better. There are very few teams who would be deep enough in terms of the type of players we'd need/want for him that have CLOSER as their biggest needs.

I don't see Bobby traded anytime soon. Just doesn't make sense to me. I wouldn't be opposed to it if we got some mindblowing package, but...

jabrch
10-31-2008, 10:09 AM
He is under contract for 2009, but a free agent afterwards. The Rays would be smart to lock him up this offseason, but they haven't shown that type of commitment yet, so we'll see.

I'd be surprised if they resign him past 09. He's only able to play LF. I doubt the Rays payroll will afford them that luxury.

jabrch
10-31-2008, 10:11 AM
The comment about "shocking" Sox fans is intriguing. I don't think that a trade involving Thome, Konerko, Javy, or Dye would fall into that category. We've had plenty of discussion around those players on WSI with plenty of people advocating both sides of trades involving these players. It's not that those players won't be part of trades, but the trades wouldn't be that big of a shock.

I don't think Stone is talking about WSI when he says "shocking the fans". And frankly, I'd be shocked if we do move PK or Thome. I don't see either as movable. I'd be shocked if we move Dye because he is one of our best hitters. And I'd be shocked if we trade Vazquez because his value is down right now, and KW doesn't like to sell low.

Shocked, to me, doesn't mean that we didn't think of it - just that it wasn't what was expected. I don't expect any of those guys moved. That said, KW surprises/shocks me nearly every year. So I eagerly await his offseason.

thedudeabides
10-31-2008, 10:17 AM

I'd guess that AJ has more value to us than other teams, so he's probably not likely to move. And I just don't see where moving any of the relievers other than Jenks would surprise Sox fans very much.

Now, the Jenks discussion above is probably more along the lines of what Stone could be alluding to. Maybe it is one of the other starters. And KW could probably get a lot for Alexi or Quentin. Any moves involving those players would shock Sox fans.

But trading a guy like Konerko would be shocking to the average fan.

And this talk about Jenks being traded is a complete reach. We would be opening a monster hole, that is very hard to fill, in an already suspect bullpen. It's not going to happen. We have nobody on the current roster who you could confidently plug in, even if there was that would create another bullpen hole. Take a look at the free agent options. Either over priced or suspect.

soxtalker
10-31-2008, 10:31 AM
And this talk about Jenks being traded is a complete reach. We would be opening a monster hole, that is very hard to fill, in an already suspect bullpen. It's not going to happen. We have nobody on the current roster who you could confidently plug in, even if there was that would create another bullpen hole. Take a look at the free agent options. Either over priced or suspect.

Of course it is a reach. But not impossible. Think of the Brandon McCarthy trade. Now, BM was not nearly in the good graces of KW as Jenks is, but we never expected him to be traded then. How many of us knew much about Danks at the time? I agree that Jenks is unlikely to go, but we don't know much about up and coming young players that KW may have scouted that could fill his place.

kobo
10-31-2008, 11:02 AM
Of course it is a reach. But not impossible. Think of the Brandon McCarthy trade. Now, BM was not nearly in the good graces of KW as Jenks is, but we never expected him to be traded then. How many of us knew much about Danks at the time? I agree that Jenks is unlikely to go, but we don't know much about up and coming young players that KW may have scouted that could fill his place.
If there is anyone that could fill Jenks place we would have heard about him by now. Heck, that player probably would have been called up when Jenks went on the DL this year. Moving Jenks would be a dumb move, and makes zero sense.

champagne030
10-31-2008, 11:06 AM
Since 2005, Crawford has played 11 games in CF. He is a LF'er. Barring a Dye trade, we have a LF'er, and a damn good one.

NOT HAPPENING.

Have you seen the complete cow pie defense that's been manning CF for us since our World Series win? Crawford looks like Mays in CF compared to Mack O' Wack and Captain Morgan.

Rockabilly
10-31-2008, 11:07 AM
If there is anyone that could fill Jenks place we would have heard about him by now. Heck, that player probably would have been called up when Jenks went on the DL this year. Moving Jenks would be a dumb move, and makes zero sense.

unless the Sox sign K Rod.

Taliesinrk
10-31-2008, 11:12 AM

beat me to it. the problem is that then the sox would have sooo much money (and maybe as important: years) locked into 3 relievers.. kind of scary

Scottiehaswheels
10-31-2008, 11:16 AM
unless the Sox sign K Rod.I'd rather keep Bobby.....

soxtalker
10-31-2008, 11:19 AM

First, I'm not advocating the trading of Jenks. However, I don't recall anyone around here talking about Jenks before he was acquired. IIRC, the Angels gave up on him, but I don't think that he was on the radar screen of most of us. I just wouldn't be surprised if KW has some players in mind that are below the radar for most of us fans.

NLaloosh
10-31-2008, 11:20 AM
I'd believe Kenny is working on 2 blockbuster trades right now - heck 5 blockbuster trades before I'd believe that the Sox open the season with Fields and Getz in the starting lineup.

Demps2
10-31-2008, 11:22 AM
Did anyone else read that KW said that Fields is our starting 3B next season??? I think it's a smokescreen, but that's just me. With all these "blockbuster" rumors going around, give it a matter of time before A-Rod to the Sox becomes non-stop talk and print in the Chicago media. Especially with the Sox having a hole at third.

jabrch
10-31-2008, 11:26 AM

Few knew of Jenks before he showed up here, except for the wild stories of his past. He had been completely written off by most of MLB. We very well may have several guys in the farm with the potential to be decent relievers who are currently in starters roles down there. Richard looked solid as a reliver - maybe that's his end destination? Poreda is rumored to still be a 2 pitch pitcher - maybe he ends up a reliever? Carrasco looked very good - what's his upside after a bit more experience? What about Jason Childers? I know he is older - but so was Jenks. How about Link?

I'm not saying we should dump Bobby. I'm saying if someone comes to us with a deal we can't refuse, we shouldn't.

jabrch
10-31-2008, 11:28 AM
I just wouldn't be surprised if KW has some players in mind that are below the radar for most of us fans.

In fact, I'd be surprised if he DOESN'T have players in mind that fit that description...like Jayson Nix.

Noneck
10-31-2008, 11:39 AM
How anyone could mention Carrasco, a career crap slinging 30+ year old minor leaguer with young arms like Poreda and Richard truly baffles me.

kobo
10-31-2008, 11:46 AM
Why would they sign K-Rod to a ridiculously expensive contract when they have an option at closer in house already? They'll end up paying more for K-Rod than they would for Jenks.

kobo
10-31-2008, 11:49 AM
Few knew of Jenks before he showed up here, except for the wild stories of his past. He had been completely written off by most of MLB. We very well may have several guys in the farm with the potential to be decent relievers who are currently in starters roles down there. Richard looked solid as a reliver - maybe that's his end destination? Poreda is rumored to still be a 2 pitch pitcher - maybe he ends up a reliever? Carrasco looked very good - what's his upside after a bit more experience? What about Jason Childers? I know he is older - but so was Jenks. How about Link?

I'm not saying we should dump Bobby. I'm saying if someone comes to us with a deal we can't refuse, we shouldn't.
I'll agree with that, but after winning the division with the team we have I think it would be a bad idea to go into next season with a question mark at closer.

GreenWoman3212
10-31-2008, 12:07 PM
Anyone else have a bad feeling about AJ?

thedudeabides
10-31-2008, 12:11 PM

Many here new of Denks, and there were also a lot around here that weren't that high on McCarthy. Putting McCarthy and Jenks in the same sentence is a bad comparison. Bobby is way more accomplished. And you don't trade away an elite closer who is under team control. They are very difficuly to replace. If they had the crazy money K-Rod is going to demand it would be spent to fill other holes.

Jenks is also a different case. When he was aquired it was not with the idea of him becoming the closer that year. He was starting for the Angels affiliate at the time and they converted him to a reliever when they got him. He exceeded everyone's wildest expectations that year and has become a staple in the bullpen. Things like that don't happen very often and you don't go into the season expecting some unproven, unknown player to duplicate what Bobby does.

voodoochile
10-31-2008, 12:11 PM
I'd believe Kenny is working on 2 blockbuster trades right now - heck 5 blockbuster trades before I'd believe that the Sox open the season with Fields and Getz in the starting lineup.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Fields get the starting job next year. I do expect the Sox to have a backup plan ala Uribe.

Of course KW also supposedly said BA was the starting CF next season. Now that sounds like a smokescreen to build up trade value. I am sure if the right veteran comes along in trade offer, KW will part with either or both of them in a heartbeat...

areilly
10-31-2008, 12:13 PM
Bur.

Lee.

PalehosePlanet
10-31-2008, 12:19 PM
KW also likes Brandon Phillips a whole lot and might go after him harder this offseason. The Reds, it seems like, have been in payroll dumping mode for a while now so it would make sense that they are looking for cheap, MLB ready talent.

Maybe he wouldn't give up BA to The Reds in the Griffey trade last year to use him as a bargaining chip this off season to try and acquire Phillips?

hellview
10-31-2008, 12:22 PM
KW also likes Brandon Phillips a whole lot and might go after him harder this offseason. The Reds, it seems like, have been in payroll dumping mode for a while now so it would make sense that they are looking for cheap, MLB ready talent.

Maybe he wouldn't give up BA to The Reds in the Griffey trade last year to use him as a bargaining chip this off season to try and acquire Phillips?

What payroll dumping have the Reds done...they just signed F. Cordero to like 50 million last offseason.

oeo
10-31-2008, 12:26 PM
Bur.

Lee.

The way I understand his contract, he has a complete no trade clause until January, where that increase to $15 million per year and an extra year is added happens on any trade.

So if that's the big deal, it's going to have to wait for a couple of months.

PalehosePlanet
10-31-2008, 12:27 PM
What payroll dumping have the Reds done...they just signed F. Cordero to like 50 million last offseason.

Griffey and Adam Dunn is who I was thinking of, but maybe that's more of a refusal to re-up and pay (in Dunn's case anyway) than dumping payroll.

Either way, the point I was trying to make is that they are not a large payroll team and would not want to take on a Dye/Thome/Konerko/Vazquez size contract.

Iwritecode
10-31-2008, 12:30 PM
Many here new of Denks,

Is this supposed to be Danks or Jenks?

NLaloosh
10-31-2008, 12:31 PM
I do think that the Reds would be a good trading partner for Vazquez.

Also, there's no way that Fields, Getz and Anderson start next year. I'd be surprised if even one of them starts.

It souldn't shock me if Konerko, Jenks and Vazquez are all traded.

CashMan
10-31-2008, 12:44 PM
The way I understand his contract, he has a complete no trade clause until January, where that increase to $15 million per year and an extra year is added happens on any trade.

So if that's the big deal, it's going to have to wait for a couple of months.

Do not even mention his name to be traded. Marky Mark, is consistent.

gr8mexico
10-31-2008, 01:12 PM
Maybe KW is looking at Brandon Phillips and Homer Bailey.
Jermaine Dye or Javier Vazquez could be going to the Reds

areilly
10-31-2008, 01:13 PM
Do not even mention his name to be traded. Marky Mark, is consistent.

Remember, the word was "shock." I think we'd all be shocked.

Lundind1
10-31-2008, 01:21 PM
I do think that the Reds would be a good trading partner for Vazquez.

Also, there's no way that Fields, Getz and Anderson start next year. I'd be surprised if even one of them starts.

It souldn't shock me if Konerko, Jenks and Vazquez are all traded.

Who's your closer??? Wait, don't answer....I'm afraid to find out, j/k. I do like the idea of Konerko and Vazquez being gone as I am never one to get married to a player but I caution losing Paulie, I still think he has more than enough value to this team.

CashMan
10-31-2008, 01:31 PM
Remember, the word was "shock." I think we'd all be shocked.

I know.......I just don't think you can trade a horse like Mark away. He is left handed, compiles innings, and get outs.

HomeFish
10-31-2008, 01:56 PM
When Brandon Phillips was with the Indians, Farmer and Rooney once discovered his personal website, which was very boastful and said things like "welcome to the website of one of the premier power hitters in the American League". Every time Brandon would come up, Farmer or Rooney would mockingly say "here comes one of the best young power hitters in the American league". The Indians sent him down to the minors that season for hitting just over .200.

thedudeabides
10-31-2008, 02:02 PM
Is this supposed to be Danks or Jenks?

Sorry, Danks.

NLaloosh
10-31-2008, 02:07 PM
If Javy gets traded I would have to believe that he would bring the best return from an N.L. team. The west coast is out so I'm thinking good partners might be:

Reds
Mets
Braves

For Konerko, I think the Giants might be a fit. The Sox could probably get some good young pitching from them.

For Jenks - a lot of teams but particularly the Mets. I wonder what they could get by packaging Jenks and Javy? Could they get Beltran?

Rocky Soprano
10-31-2008, 02:22 PM
For Jenks - a lot of teams but particularly the Mets. I wonder what they could get by packaging Jenks and Javy? Could they get Beltran?

Please tell me that you are joking.
Jenks and Javy for Beltran?
Why not ask for Santana too while we are at it.

voodoochile
10-31-2008, 03:02 PM
Please tell me that you are joking.
Jenks and Javy for Beltran?
Why not ask for Santana too while we are at it.

We can throw in BA...:D:

Rockabilly
10-31-2008, 04:19 PM
here is a nice deal for the Sox..

According to a few reports the Rays are looking for an xtra OF so why not trade Anderson to the Rays for Edwin Jackson.

Since the Rays are loaded with starting pitching

Chez
10-31-2008, 04:47 PM

According to a few reports the Rays are looking for an xtra OF so why not trade Anderson to the Rays for Edwin Jackson.

I think the Sox would have to sweeten that pot considerably! No way Tampa makes that deal.

JermaineDye05
10-31-2008, 04:50 PM

It's a nice thought, but no. Maybe if BA could hit around .280 ish and hit 25-30 HR's while driving in close to 90 RBI's. Then Kenny could probably get the deal done, since that's not the case it ain't gonna happen.

doublem23
10-31-2008, 04:51 PM
I think the Sox would have to sweeten that pot considerably! No way Tampa makes that deal.

The Sox can stay away from Edwin Jackson, thanks.

NSFWSoxFan
10-31-2008, 05:00 PM
I usually don't pay too much attention to the rumor mill, so can't get too worked up about this. Two things interest me, though.

One, Stone said it so that carries a little more weight than the usual hot stove stuff on the blogs.

Two, "blockbuster" signifies to me that the Sox would be getting in one or more players that would knock our socks off, not that fans would be "surprised" at any particular move. Being surprised could apply to damn near any trade.

JermaineDye05
10-31-2008, 05:01 PM
I usually don't pay too much attention to the rumor mill, so can't get too worked up about this. Two things interest me, though.

One, Stone said it so that carries a little more weight than the usual hot stove stuff on the blogs.

Two, "blockbuster" signifies to me that the Sox would be getting in one or more players that would knock our socks off, not that fans would be "surprised" at any particular move. Being surprised could apply to damn near any trade.

The thing that mostly intrigued me about what stone was that he said "one which I am not at liberty to discuss right now".

btrain929
10-31-2008, 05:02 PM

They are looking for a power-hitting RF'er, not a no-offense CF'er.

kittle42
10-31-2008, 05:08 PM

Are you familiar with the game of baseball?

EMachine10
10-31-2008, 05:14 PM

Edwin Jackson, yuck.

btrain929
10-31-2008, 05:17 PM

:rolling::rolling:

turners56
10-31-2008, 05:43 PM
If Javy gets traded I would have to believe that he would bring the best return from an N.L. team. The west coast is out so I'm thinking good partners might be:

Reds
Mets
Braves

For Konerko, I think the Giants might be a fit. The Sox could probably get some good young pitching from them.

For Jenks - a lot of teams but particularly the Mets. I wonder what they could get by packaging Jenks and Javy? Could they get Beltran

Mets are probably going to make a hard push for K-Rod. Jenks would be plan B for them if he's available. I don't think we'll get Beltran back in return though.

LoveYourSuit
10-31-2008, 06:17 PM
Edwin Jackson, yuck.

I like Edwin Jackson, he has been a bust for a good time now but the last 2 seasons I like the stuff he has been bringing. He is the odd man out in that rotation. I think with that kind of stuff and Coop, there could be something good there. Same goes with Daniel Cabrera of the Orioles.

Thing is, I think BA wouldn't even get the Sox a cup of water.

btrain929
10-31-2008, 06:46 PM
Mets are probably going to make a hard push for K-Rod. Jenks would be plan B for them if he's available. I don't think we'll get Beltran back in return though.

The Mets don't even have anything I think the Sox would want. They don't have a surplus of anything that they could spare to give us. They'll either sign a big name FA, take a chance on Chad Cordero, or trade for a lesser closer like Kevin Gregg.

Daver
10-31-2008, 06:47 PM

No, can you explain it to me?

kidmccarthy
10-31-2008, 07:43 PM

Yeah, I learned it in the playoffs this year. 9=8

Brian26
10-31-2008, 08:08 PM
The Mets don't even have anything I think the Sox would want.

The Mets have plenty that the Sox would want. The Mets don't have much that the Sox would want *and* could afford.

David Wright would look nice penciled in at 3B, but obviously that's not going to happen.

doublem23
10-31-2008, 08:23 PM
David Wright would look nice penciled in at 3B, but obviously that's not going to happen.

What if (and this is pure speculation) we gave them Brian Anderson? :cool:

btrain929
10-31-2008, 08:33 PM
The Mets have plenty that the Sox would want. The Mets don't have much that the Sox would want *and* could afford.

Obviously that's what I meant. We won't get Reyes, Wright, Santana, Beltran, or any other studs. The rest are role players, and wouldn't make sense trading Jenks for.

TDog
10-31-2008, 08:54 PM
Is this about shock?

I would be shocked if the White Sox traded Carlos Quentin, Alexei Ramirez, Mark Buehrle, John Danks, Gavin Floyd or Bobby Jenks. There are a number of players whose acquisition would surprise me. And, too, I could be shocked by deals that don't seem to make sense, regardless of the players involved.

I don't know if the potential shock is supposed to be good shock or bad shock. A lot of people would like the Sox to trade Javier Vazquez. If it's just about moving a player, I would rather see Nick Swisher moved. But I wouldn't be shocked to see Vazquez in the starting rotation or Swisher in the starting lineup come opening day.

Disappointed, but not shocked.

turners56
10-31-2008, 08:54 PM
I like Edwin Jackson, he has been a bust for a good time now but the last 2 seasons I like the stuff he has been bringing. He is the odd man out in that rotation. I think with that kind of stuff and Coop, there could be something good there. Same goes with Daniel Cabrera of the Orioles.

Thing is, I think BA wouldn't even get the Sox a cup of water.

Jackson had a WHIP of 1.5 last year. He's got good stuff, but bad control.

NSFWSoxFan
10-31-2008, 10:18 PM
Is this about shock?I believe this is about awe.

WhiteSox5187
11-01-2008, 01:57 AM
It's kinda like cricket.

1908<2005
11-01-2008, 03:26 AM
Steve Stone also said the Cubs would trade Derrek Lee. Kind of hard to do when he has a NTC.

DumpJerry
11-01-2008, 09:52 AM
Steve Stone also said the Cubs would trade Derrek Lee. Kind of hard to do when he has a NTC.
No it's not.

Craig Grebeck
11-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Lee would accept pretty much any trade to the west coast.

Chez
11-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Is this about shock?

I would be shocked if the White Sox traded Carlos Quentin, Alexei Ramirez, Mark Buehrle, John Danks, Gavin Floyd or Bobby Jenks. There are a number of players whose acquisition would surprise me. And, too, I could be shocked by deals that don't seem to make sense, regardless of the players involved.

I agree. Stone's use of the word "shock" is odd. The only deal that would shock me would be a deal what would include a player on TDog's list. Would KW trade Quentin? Seems unlikely but it certainly would qualify as shocking.

slavko
11-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Bonus if we somehow wind up with A-rod (which we're not going to): Endless TV shots of Madonna sitting behind third base dugout.

JermaineDye05
11-01-2008, 01:55 PM
:praying::praying::praying:

Please don't trade TCQ Kenny, I will :whiner::whiner::whiner:. The guy is our future, and I expect him to be the face of our organization for a long time.

Craig Grebeck
11-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Now people are worried we're going to trade Carlos? For ****'s sake...

TDog
11-01-2008, 02:57 PM

I hope "shock" was a poorly chosen word. When you say people will be shocked by trades, people look at the players on the team who would generate shock if they were traded. Trading any or all of six players would shock me. I can't think of much else that would shock me, although I know such shocking trades might be possible.

After the 1970 season, I was shocked when the White Sox traded Luis Aparicio. Tell me the White Sox are working on two trades that will shock me 38 years later, and worst-case scenarios come to mind.

Daver
11-01-2008, 03:14 PM

These trade speculation threads are pure comedy gold.

Brian26
11-01-2008, 03:23 PM
I agree. Stone's use of the word "shock" is odd. The only deal that would shock me would be a deal what would include a player on TDog's list. Would KW trade Quentin? Seems unlikely but it certainly would qualify as shocking.

The interesting back-story to this is Stone's new role within the Sox organization. For years at Soxfest, Kenny has talked about how he informally discusses personnel moves by-committee (including Hawk and Reinsy). Stone's been rumored as a GM-to-be for years and seems to be a good judge of talent. I wonder how involved Stone already is with suggestions to KW.

JermaineDye05
11-02-2008, 11:36 PM
What are the chances Kenny fleeces Florida for Hanley Ramirez, less than 0?

Sorry this is the fantasy baseball player in me talking :D:

drewcifer
11-02-2008, 11:50 PM
What are the chances Kenny fleeces Florida for Hanley Ramirez, less than 0?

Sorry this is the fantasy baseball player in me talking :D:

Hanley Ramirez... That would have to be some kind fleecing!

JermaineDye05
11-02-2008, 11:51 PM
Hanley Ramirez... That would have to be some kind fleecing!

Not if you throw BA in there, that would be more like Florida fleecing KW.

drewcifer
11-02-2008, 11:55 PM
Not if you throw BA in there, that would be more like Florida fleecing KW.

Are you saying that Quentin and BA for Hanley would be a fleecing?

JermaineDye05
11-02-2008, 11:58 PM
Are you saying that Quentin and BA for Hanley would be a fleecing?

I'm saying BA/Broadway/Fields would be a fleecing.

I'm being facetious btw :tongue:

drewcifer
11-02-2008, 11:59 PM
I'm saying BA/Broadway/Fields would be a fleecing.

I'm being facetious btw :tongue:

Ok, scared me for sec.

Law11
11-10-2008, 02:48 PM
These trade speculation threads are pure comedy gold.

"Its Gold Jerry... Gold!"

ViPeRx007
11-11-2008, 12:58 AM
So where are these blockbusters I'm hearing so much about?

oeo
11-11-2008, 01:02 AM

I was wondering when the first of many of these posts was going to come.

It's November 11th! We haven't even reached the winter meetings yet.

gr8mexico
11-11-2008, 01:02 AM
They have all closed you have to rent from netflix now:D:

WSox597
11-11-2008, 07:12 AM

Badum-bum. :D:

russ99
11-11-2008, 08:49 AM
I was wondering when the first of many of these posts was going to come.

It's November 11th! We haven't even reached the winter meetings yet.

It's not Wednesday yet. :D:

Seriously though, I'm ready for Kenny to do something, even though I know it's still way early. There's way too much dumb speculation right now, from myself included.

Friday opens the FA signing period, so we may see some movement then.

SOXSINCE'70
11-11-2008, 10:12 AM

I prefer Red Box.:D::D:

SOXSINCE'70
11-11-2008, 10:19 AM

And even then,Damon might not hit the cutoff man.

No,no,no,no,NO!!

gr8mexico
11-11-2008, 11:04 AM

No,no,no,no,NO!!
Johnny Damon has a no trade clause to the White Sox . Thank God

Taliesinrk
11-11-2008, 12:19 PM
Johnny Damon has a no trade clause to the White Sox . Thank God

That better be one hell of a package. Say no to Johnny Damon. I mean how would Hawk continue to make fun of his arm if he were actually on the Sox??

NLaloosh
11-11-2008, 12:44 PM
I was shocked when the Sox signed Jayson Nix. I had no idea.

russ99
11-11-2008, 12:47 PM

Nix was a typical low risk/high reward move by Kenny. He could flop, be a utility guy or start. But we didn't give up anything in return, so it doesn't matter.

ViPeRx007
11-11-2008, 08:54 PM

That was a pretty good one actually...

:D:

Huisj
11-11-2008, 11:02 PM

No,no,no,no,NO!!

Unless the Sox get Manny Ramirez to play next to him. They've a great relay system between them.

gr8mexico
11-11-2008, 11:06 PM
Unless the Sox get Manny Ramirez to play next to him. They've a great relay system between them.
Ramirez is out of are budget we should get Scott Podsednik and have Damon plays the warning track and have Scott between Damon and the SS. Scott would be able to get it to the SS a lot faster :D:

NLaloosh
11-12-2008, 09:40 AM

Sorry. I should have used teal.

kitekrazy
11-12-2008, 12:15 PM
I am sorry if this thread has been done but I haven't seen it..

On WSCR Steve Stone said a few days ago, that the Sox are working on something big..

this is his blog he mentions it again towards the bottom

http://www.stevestone.com/StevesPitch2.html

Maybe it's not about the personnel. It could be they found one home to be televised like the Cartoon Network.

NLaloosh
11-14-2008, 01:05 AM
This blockbuster definitely shocked me:

NICK SWISHER TO THE YANKEES FOR NOTHING!

ViPeRx007
11-14-2008, 01:15 AM
This blockbuster definitely shocked me:

NICK SWISHER TO THE YANKEES FOR NOTHING!

Can we really consider a Nick Swisher trade a "blockbuster"?

I can see a MB, PK, or JD trade being a blockbuster but I don't know if Swish warrants it. I don't really know the requirements that have to be met though.

NLaloosh
11-14-2008, 01:42 AM
I have a feeling Yankee fans will remember this trade fondly for many years to come. Yankee fans are giddy right now - and bewildered.

VenturaFan23
11-14-2008, 07:06 AM
I have a feeling Yankee fans will remember this trade fondly for many years to come. Yankee fans are giddy right now - and bewildered.

They were also giddy back in '04 when they "fleeced us" to get Cy Young runner-up Loaiza for their "bust" Contreras. Guess how that turned out.

dwalteroo
11-14-2008, 10:32 AM

One Nick Swisher trade does not a WS team make. Nor does trading for any of the All Stars they are after. I don't think that team will win again until they break up their core.

Craig Grebeck
11-14-2008, 11:02 AM
One Nick Swisher trade does not a WS team make. Nor does trading for any of the All Stars they are after. I don't think that team will win again until they break up their core.
Like Alex Rodriguez, Jorge Posada, Derek Jeter? Man, I bet they can't wait to get rid of those guys.

oeo
11-14-2008, 12:45 PM

They won't win again until they get back to the basics and what made them so successful in the 90's. Buying championships doesn't work, but they're going to give it another go. 2-3 years from now they're going to be wondering how they got themselves into the same situation again.

areilly
11-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Like Alex Rodriguez, Jorge Posada, Derek Jeter? Man, I bet they can't wait to get rid of those guys.

The latter two are on a serious decline - from a baseball perspective, they'd be smart to at least start looking at exploring their next moves at SS and C. Although Jeter is marketing and revenue gold, so I imagine he'll be around for some time to come.

dwalteroo
11-14-2008, 04:15 PM

I'm not saying they don't have great players, they obviously do. But as a TEAM, NY has problems, and their current strategy of buying their way into the playoffs - with this current roster - isn't working.

whitesox901
11-14-2008, 04:17 PM
The latter two are on a serious decline - from a baseball perspective, they'd be smart to at least start looking at exploring their next moves at SS and C. Although Jeter is marketing and revenue gold, so I imagine he'll be around for some time to come.

IIRC, I heard/read somewhere that Jeter is moving to 1B after 2010