PDA

View Full Version : MLB working on blackout adjustment

Fenway
10-30-2008, 02:23 PM
There is a proposal going to the owners that hopefully can fix many of the blackout problems fans have with both MLB.tv and Extra Innings.

Many of the problems stem from the ways cable companies and satellite distribute programs.

Example a dish owner in western Iowa can get CSN Chicago but most cable companies in that part of the state don't carry it. End result is Extra Innings blacks out the game and MLB.tv does as well.

The new proposal would allow the game to be shown on Extra Innings if the cable company does not normally carry the channel.
This is a huge problem in Connecticut and New Jersey.

MLB also wants to provide all FOX games on Extra Innings and they are negotiating to work out the issues on local commercials.

Hopefully it will pass so we can get away from a situation like Bufflao where Cleveland, Pittsburgh games are blacked out but Toronto isn't. Vegas is a complete fiasco as well.

TheKittle
10-30-2008, 02:27 PM
There is a proposal going to the owners that hopefully can fix many of the blackout problems fans have with both MLB.tv and Extra Innings.

Many of the problems stem from the ways cable companies and satellite distribute programs.

Example a dish owner in western Iowa can get CSN Chicago but most cable companies in that part of the state don't carry it. End result is Extra Innings blacks out the game and MLB.tv does as well.

The new proposal would allow the game to be shown on Extra Innings if the cable company does not normally carry the channel.
This is a huge problem in Connecticut and New Jersey.

MLB also wants to provide all FOX games on Extra Innings and they are negotiating to work out the issues on local commercials.

Hopefully it will pass so we can get away from a situation like Bufflao where Cleveland, Pittsburgh games are blacked out but Toronto isn't. Vegas is a complete fiasco as well.

Have the Nationals worked out their TV problems? Or did Pete still screwing them over?

Fenway
10-30-2008, 02:45 PM
Have the Nationals worked out their TV problems? Or did Pete still screwing them over?

It was more a case of Comcast refusing to pick up MASN but it has been worked out.

However the Nationals averaged 4,000 viewers a game this year. The Expos did 10 times that.

DSpivack
10-30-2008, 02:57 PM
It was more a case of Comcast refusing to pick up MASN but it has been worked out.

However the Nationals averaged 4,000 viewers a game this year. The Expos did 10 times that.

:o:

Lip Man 1
10-30-2008, 06:13 PM
More details in the WSI interview with Bob Grim.

Lip

Zisk77
10-30-2008, 07:18 PM
I just want to see my sox an saturday afternoon dadgummit! :angry:FOX:angry:

Fenway
10-30-2008, 07:30 PM
More details in the WSI interview with Bob Grim.

Lip

Lip

The interview touches on all the sore spots. For example Ironwood, Michigan in the UP was always a big Cubs area but they get Tigers games that nobody cares about.

Albany, NY is a Red Sox hotbed but NESN can not market there and YES and SNY can't market in Western Massachusetts where there are many NY fans.

WCIU does get uplinked by DirecTV as a local channel but the signal is very compressed while both WGN and CSN have dedicated transponders.

The big quirk in the system is DirecTV as they offer all the regional sports networks nationwide with the exception of Comcast-Philadelphia (long story) Now when a pro game is played DirecTV has to black out the RSN BUT if you have purchased Extra Innings the feed is then unlocked so you could then watch either teams feed. Cable companies don't offer this as of yet.

In the Northeast it gets nasty at times. Some parts of New Haven offer NESN bu it all comes down to zipcode. It really gets ugly in New Jersey where Philly and NY is divided near Trenton.

The short term answer is to eliminate all blackouts on Extra Innings. Some fans may have to pay more to get their team but at least you have an option.

PKalltheway
11-01-2008, 06:03 AM
The Nationals averaged 4,000 viewers a game this year.
Wow. :o: Saying that's bad would be an understatement. Is the channel that they're on accessible to people in the area? How are their radio ratings? I'm not trying to be snide or anything, I'm just curious...

However, if I was a casual fan that lived there, I probably wouldn't want to watch a team that's so bad, a good Triple-A team could probably beat them.

Fenway
11-01-2008, 11:55 AM
The FOX blackout issue is close to a compromise that most fans can live with.

With digital tuners being mandatory next year FOX has come up with a plan to allow the local stations to carry every game the network is showing and thus protect the lucrative local commercials.

For example say the White Sox are on channel 32-1, FOX could then show the Red Sox on 32-2, Atlanta on 32-3 etc.

ABC and ESPN have been testing this system this year for college football. In Chicago today ESPN is showing Wisconsin-Michigan State and WLS 7.2 is showing the UConn-West Virginia game. In Boston WCVB 5.2 is showing the midwest game and ESPN the eastern game.

This system should appease most fans next summer.

Fenway
11-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Wow. :o: Saying that's bad would be an understatement. Is the channel that they're on accessible to people in the area? How are their radio ratings? I'm not trying to be snide or anything, I'm just curious...

However, if I was a casual fan that lived there, I probably wouldn't want to watch a team that's so bad, a good Triple-A team could probably beat them.

Nats games are now available on all cable systems in DC-Balto and still the team generates an average rating of 0.1 which is horrific. Kansas City and Pittsburgh are the next lowest averaging about 25,000 viewers. Tom Boswell wrote a scathing column about this a couple of months back.

eastchicagosoxfan
11-01-2008, 12:17 PM
Why can't Extra Innings, or MLB.com just get the feed from the local broadcaster, and broadcast it, commercials and all, over the internet? Is it a technology issue?

Fenway
11-01-2008, 12:35 PM
Why can't Extra Innings, or MLB.com just get the feed from the local broadcaster, and broadcast it, commercials and all, over the internet? Is it a technology issue?

It would be a nightmare to carry out and also expensive because every FOX station sells local ads.

Under the compromise MarySwiss in Phoenix could watch the White Sox on the Phoenix station secondary feed and see commercials intended for the valley.

Bottom line is FOX keeps their exclusive window but a fan has a choice of what game they want to watch.

cnw8052
11-01-2008, 11:34 PM
Hopefully this means when a game on WCIU is also shown nationally on ESPN, the ESPN feed won't be blacked out to those of us in western IL where WCIU isn't available.

Fenway
11-01-2008, 11:57 PM
Hopefully this means when a game on WCIU is also shown nationally on ESPN, the ESPN feed won't be blacked out to those of us in western IL where WCIU isn't available.

That will be harder to work around.

Twins have the same problem with MY29 which carries a lot of games but somehow DirecTV has them on Extra Innings.

In Canada CBC is furious about WGN showing Hawks games on Saturday nights .Cable companies can not show the WGN superstation feed and they carry the local Chicago feed. This is why Peachtree TV is carried in Canada and not TBS because Peachtree is actually channel 17 in Atlanta.

CBC pays a fortune for exclusive Saturday night hockey in Canada but right now they have to live with WGN.

The FCC of Canada ruled that cable companies can only carry an over the air US signal.

LoveYourSuit
11-02-2008, 01:50 AM

Thank God for revenue sharing.

I want Mags back
11-02-2008, 03:21 PM
In Canada CBC is furious about WGN showing Hawks games on Saturday nights .Cable companies can not show the WGN superstation feed and they carry the local Chicago feed. This is why Peachtree TV is carried in Canada and not TBS because Peachtree is actually channel 17 in Atlanta.

CBC pays a fortune for exclusive Saturday night hockey in Canada but right now they have to live with WGN.

??. are the Hawks on the superstation in Canada. I know they arent in the states

Taliesinrk
11-02-2008, 03:34 PM
??. are the Hawks on the superstation in Canada. I know they arent in the states

yeah.. now I'm confused. In South Bend, I have Dish Network (and WGN Superstation, but not CSN). There's no way I can get Hawks games, right?

Madscout
11-02-2008, 04:37 PM
I lived in Bloomington, IN for how many years, and it has taken them this long? Finally...

anewman35
11-02-2008, 04:40 PM

Canada doesn't show the Superstation, they show the Chicago feed.

oeo
11-02-2008, 04:44 PM

There's an easier solution to that problem: dump WCIU.

Lip Man 1
11-02-2008, 07:04 PM
OEO:

Unfortunately it isn't as easy as that. According to Bob Grim in his WSI Interview NO OTHER station was interested in taking the Sox.

Here's the link to it where Bob talks specifically about the issues with WCIU, and the entire blackout / territory issues:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=3669

Lip

I want Mags back
11-02-2008, 07:08 PM
I lived in Bloomington, IN for how many years, and it has taken them this long? Finally...

I get the games here on CSN

I want Mags back
11-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Canada doesn't show the Superstation, they show the Chicago feed.

ohh, gotcha