PDA

View Full Version : Sox Decline Hall's Option

JermaineDye05
10-30-2008, 01:11 PM
Link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20081030&content_id=3655058&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

I was actually surprised by this, I thought he was a big clubhouse guy. I guess the Sox figure they can go with Cole Armstrong to back-up AJ considering he starts so many games and Cole could probably put up similar numbers to Hall.

skottyj242
10-30-2008, 01:13 PM
I am sad.

whitesox901
10-30-2008, 01:14 PM
Damn, I was hoping he'd make his return, btw what happened to Donny Lucy and Gustava Molina?

Stoky44
10-30-2008, 01:14 PM
They declined Uribe's option last year too, don't be totally surprised for him to come back at a cheaper rate.

chisoxmike
10-30-2008, 01:15 PM
I'm actually a bit surprised by this.

skottyj242
10-30-2008, 01:20 PM
They can still bring him back cheaper.

chisoxmike
10-30-2008, 01:27 PM
Troof

btrain929
10-30-2008, 01:29 PM
They declined Uribe's option last year too, don't be totally surprised for him to come back at a cheaper rate.

No, they didn't. They waited all the wait til the last day to exercise/decline options, and they ended up exercising his option, but at a lower rate. It was not declined, then resigned. If Hall was brought back, it'd be completely different then how it went down with Uribe last year.

With that in mind, I wouldn't mind him back at a cheap price. I highly doubt he thinks he can be a starter anywhere, so why not stay where he's built such good relationships. It's just a matter of us wanting him back, wanting to go with C.Armstrong, or do they have their eye on a FA backup?

Konerko05
10-30-2008, 01:35 PM
Toby Hall cream pie.

palehozenychicty
10-30-2008, 01:39 PM
Hall is fine, except he doesn't have any discernible strengths. So they can go either way as far as I'm concerned.

btrain929
10-30-2008, 01:39 PM
Does anyone know how Cole's arm is behind the plate? I know he has a quality stick, and is dominating the AFL right now, but how's his D? Hopefully his arm is a shade better than Toby's.

thedudeabides
10-30-2008, 01:41 PM
Does anyone know how Cole's arm is behind the plate? I know he has a quality stick, and is dominating the AFL right now, but how's his D? Hopefully his arm is a shade better than Toby's.

I hope it's a lot better than Toby's. It be nice to have a catcher who could throw a guy out every once in a while.

Daver
10-30-2008, 01:46 PM
Damn, I was hoping he'd make his return, btw what happened to Donny Lucy and Gustava Molina?

Lucy is still around, he still can't hit.

Not much defense at all, average arm, struggles to learn strategy, but he can hit, with this team that is all that matters.

kittle42
10-30-2008, 01:49 PM
Most replacable player.

NLaloosh
10-30-2008, 01:53 PM
Hall is fine, except he doesn't have any discernible strengths. So they can go either way as far as I'm concerned.

I think they may still bring him back for less money. However, it would be nice to have a backup catcher with "a discernible strength".

btrain929
10-30-2008, 01:55 PM
Not much defense at all, average arm, struggles to learn strategy, but he can hit, with this team that is all that matters.

How does his "average" arm measure up to Toby's "whatever you wanna call it" arm?

Konerko05
10-30-2008, 02:03 PM
Toby Hall is one of the worst defensive catchers I've ever seen.

I'd imagine they are looking to upgrade defensively. Well at least I hope they are.

Daver
10-30-2008, 02:11 PM
How does his "average" arm measure up to Toby's "whatever you wanna call it" arm?

He can get it to second base without skipping it in.

Chez
10-30-2008, 02:13 PM
I think they may still bring him back for less money. However, it would be nice to have a backup catcher with "a discernible strength".

Well St. Louis just released former White Sox #1 draft pick Mark Johnson. I seem to recall that when he was here, he was a very good bunter. Is that a "discernible strength?"

guillen4life13
10-30-2008, 02:14 PM
http://www.kffl.com/player/6876/MLB

According to the link above, in late August Miguel Olivo is frustrated playing in KC and wants out. He said there's no way he will return to KC.

Playing time is his main gripe, so it's unlikely he would sign to be a backup, but he is still very good at throwing out base runners (19 SB against 14 CS last season). He could be an option for the Sox. He still can't really hit but that's not what his role would be.

oeo
10-30-2008, 02:21 PM
This doesn't mean he won't be back, just that they don't want to pony up that kind of money for him.

Personally, I still hope we move on, but Toby wants to stay, and will probably take a pay cut.

Rockabilly
10-30-2008, 02:27 PM
With AJ becoming a free agent I believe after next season..

Would love to see KW go out and get Salty from TX, since the Rangers already have Laird and they're high on Teagarden..

guillen4life13
10-30-2008, 02:33 PM

Would love to see KW go out and get Salty from TX, since the Rangers already have Laird and they're high on Teagarden..

Saltalamacchia, at least from his stats, is comparable to AJ when it comes to throwing out runners. His stick may develop (he is only 23 after all) so offensively he could be pretty good.

I would consider it, but I wonder what the asking price would be.

KRS1
10-30-2008, 02:35 PM

I'm going to have to disagree Daver. I've seen him catch two times this AFL, and he's got a bit of a gun on him. His one downfall is that he's slow in his pop and fire, and loads too much. He did throw out 38% of runners in Bham this year, so it's not outstanding, but good enough.

veeter
10-30-2008, 02:37 PM
They declined Uribe's option last year too, don't be totally surprised for him to come back at a cheaper rate.Yes. Toby isn't worth anywhere near $2.25 mil. or whatever it was, but he's a good guy to have. I'd still rather go with Armstrong and start getting this team younger.

FedEx227
10-30-2008, 02:37 PM

Salty is destined for 1st base. He's keeping the gear warm for Teagarden, but he'll be at 1B once Teagarden is ready. It does bring up Laird though, who is sorta on the outside looking in. He's too good to be a backup, but not good enough where Teagarden won't take his spot.

BainesHOF
10-30-2008, 02:38 PM
Toby Hall is brutal. Good riddance.

oeo
10-30-2008, 02:38 PM

Why did they want him then?

I swear that organization never ceases to amaze me. Have them throw a pitcher in, as well.

Daver
10-30-2008, 02:40 PM
I'm going to have to disagree Daver. I've seen him catch two times this AFL, and he's got a bit of a gun on him. His one downfall is that he's slow in his pop and fire, and loads too much. He did throw out 38% of runners in Bham this year, so it's not outstanding, but good enough.

Depends on your perspective, I define average as as throwing out 50%, so your telling me it's actuall below average.

KRS1
10-30-2008, 02:44 PM
Depends on your perspective, I define average as as throwing out 50%, so your telling me it's actuall below average.

Not a lot of catchers hit that 50% clip, and it all depends on who you're catching. 50% in the majors would be top of the league every year, so I don't see that as average even in the minors. If you catch the likes of Contreras, Floyd, and Vazquez every other day, then your not going to be given a very good chance.

dickallen15
10-30-2008, 02:45 PM

Then there are no average catchers in MLB. Kendall lead all catchers throwing out 42% in 2008.

turners56
10-30-2008, 02:54 PM
Awww...no more pies?

Toby was an adequate backup this year. I loved his hitting approach to right field.

Rockabilly
10-30-2008, 02:56 PM
3 slow runners off the roster.. need about 3 more to go..

this team needs a lot of speed..

Lundind1
10-30-2008, 02:57 PM
The pitchers delivery really defines the rate at which a catcher is going to throw potential base stealers out. I can't remember a year in which we had so many bases stolen against us.

In my 70+ home games that I attended this year, I really only remember Hall having a effective bat in 3 of them. 2 of those games were blowouts. I think that we can do better with a backup. NO Sandy Alomar......for 80ith GD time.

turners56
10-30-2008, 03:00 PM
Saltalamacchia, at least from his stats, is comparable to AJ when it comes to throwing out runners. His stick may develop (he is only 23 after all) so offensively he could be pretty good.

I would consider it, but I wonder what the asking price would be.

He hasn't done anything in the Majors so far, so I don't think it would be all that much.

oeo
10-30-2008, 03:00 PM
Awww...no more pies?

Toby was an adequate backup this year. I loved his hitting approach to right field.

Yeah, except he used that approach for all of a few weeks. Padded his numbers, and then it was all downhill from there.

For as big as he is, you'd think he'd have a little lumber. Nope, it's just weak-hitting Jerry Owens style.

Daver
10-30-2008, 03:02 PM
Then there are no average catchers in MLB. Kendall lead all catchers throwing out 42% in 2008.

Yeah I know, to quote Milt Pappas "The game sucks nowadays".

The standards of being a good defensefive catcher have eroded more than any other position in the game, teams lower their expectations out of the position more every year just to find guys that can wear the tools. It wasn't always this way though.

NLaloosh
10-30-2008, 03:06 PM
3 slow runners off the roster.. need about 3 more to go..

this team needs a lot of speed..

I know that sounds funny but it would really help the team overall just to remove Crede and Hall. Crede might be the WORST baserunner I have ever seen. If they could move Konerko they could improve the team speed just by adding a catcher that can run a little bit.

I've never seen KW worry much about backup catchers or catching prospects. My feeling is that he'll sign another journeyman backup cheap or re-sign Hall.

turners56
10-30-2008, 03:18 PM
Yeah, except he used that approach for all of a few weeks. Padded his numbers, and then it was all downhill from there.

For as big as he is, you'd think he'd have a little lumber. Nope, it's just weak-hitting Jerry Owens style.

If he pulled the ball more, he might of had a bit more power. He's always had okay power in the past with Tampa Bay. I believe he hit 14 home runs one year.

DickAllen72
10-30-2008, 03:26 PM
http://www.kffl.com/player/6876/MLB

According to the link above, in late August Miguel Olivo is frustrated playing in KC and wants out. He said there's no way he will return to KC.

Playing time is his main gripe, so it's unlikely he would sign to be a backup, but he is still very good at throwing out base runners (19 SB against 14 CS last season). He could be an option for the Sox. He still can't really hit but that's not what his role would be.
Olivo is fast. When he's not catching, Ozzie can start him in CF. (half teal)

TomBradley72
10-30-2008, 03:27 PM
I hope we don't re-sign him. Zero power, can't throw, can't run at all...we can do better. Other than the occasional seeing eye grounder or soft single into the outfield....he doesn't bring a whole lot to the table.

Warriorjan
10-30-2008, 03:30 PM
I seem to remember that when Olivo was first traded, it came out that the pitchers really didn't like throwing to him, and no one on the team was unhappy that he was gone. Might not be a good fit, therefore, especially if he's looking for playing time.

Zisk77
10-30-2008, 03:49 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing miguel Olivo or Mark Redmond as the backup catcher next year

champagne030
10-30-2008, 03:51 PM
If he pulled the ball more, he might of had a bit more power. He's always had okay power in the past with Tampa Bay. I believe he hit 14 home runs one year.

That was before he got so fat and slow he had to inside out everything.

Konerko05
10-30-2008, 03:57 PM
That was before he got so fat and slow he had to inside out everything.

I think Hall's shoulder injury has a lot to do with his complete lack of power. I don't think he really drove the ball once last year. It's hard to watch.

DumpJerry
10-30-2008, 03:57 PM
Cole hits from the left side. We already have AJ for that.

KRS1
10-30-2008, 04:00 PM
Yeah I know, to quote Milt Pappas "The game sucks nowadays".

The standards of being a good defensefive catcher have eroded more than any other position in the game, teams lower their expectations out of the position more every year just to find guys that can wear the tools. It wasn't always this way though.

I don't really buy that, "[T]he game has lost it's value in fundamentals/D," stuff one bit. Sure the game has made C a position that puts a premium on hitting, but it's not like the league is full of guys who would be playing 1st or 3rd 30 years ago.

By your 50% standards, not even Mr. Bench was an average catcher for his career, and only two season did he meet that 50% mark.

oeo
10-30-2008, 04:05 PM
I think Hall's shoulder injury has a lot to do with his complete lack of power. I don't think he really drove the ball once last year. It's hard to watch.

It's not only that he has no power, he has absolutely no drive at all. Again, he's just a fat, slow Jerry Owens.

oeo
10-30-2008, 04:09 PM

It shouldn't matter what side he hits from. Can he hit lefties? That's the question. If he can, it doesn't matter what side of the plate he's doing it from.

He's crushed them in the AFL so far...only 15 AB's though.

palehozenychicty
10-30-2008, 04:09 PM
It's not only that he has no power, he has absolutely no drive at all. Again, he's just a fat, slow Jerry Owens.

Exactly. His value to the team is as a pie thrower. I'd like a little more from the backup catcher.

Daver
10-30-2008, 04:11 PM
I don't really buy that, "[T]he game has lost it's value in fundamentals/D," stuff one bit. Sure the game has made C a position that puts a premium on hitting, but it's not like the league is full of guys who would be playing 1st or 3rd 30 years ago.

By your 50% standards, not even Mr. Bench was an average catcher for his career, and only two season did he meet that 50% mark.

50% was just a number I used as an example on perspective, not as a real scale, I apologize for the confusion.

When Bench played he was a complete catcher, that no longer exists for the most part. Bench could call pitches, call a game, devise strategy on the fly, things that are not done by a catcher anymore. The fundamentals of the position have eroded to the point that anyone who can hit and wear the tools without looking like a complete fool can catch. There was a time when wearing the tools made you the most respected guy on the team, I doubt that holds nearly as true nowadays.

KRS1
10-30-2008, 04:30 PM
50% was just a number I used as an example on perspective, not as a real scale, I apologize for the confusion.

When Bench played he was a complete catcher, that no longer exists for the most part. Bench could call pitches, call a game, devise strategy on the fly, things that are not done by a catcher anymore. The fundamentals of the position have eroded to the point that anyone who can hit and wear the tools without looking like a complete fool can catch. There was a time when wearing the tools made you the most respected guy on the team, I doubt that holds nearly as true nowadays.

I agree with what you said for the most part, but that's just the evolution of the game. It's hard to explain why there are so few two-way catchers in the games now, maybe the way they grow up with the game, maybe the guys who would be studs back there in the past are being pushed to other positions for some reasons. I grew up a catcher because my grandpa talked about the position like you do, I wanted to be that field captain and all that good stuff, so I appreciate and crave for a complete catcher as much as the next guy. However, I just know that for some reason, there's only a handful of them in the game now and to expect that to be the norm is like expecting every team in the NFL to have a Pro Bowl QB.

Back to Cole, yes I do like his arm quite a bit, and 38% of runners caught is a pretty good percentage for a guy who hits like he does. So basically, I like him to be something close to an average all-around C as a ceiling. I don't like the idea of two LH hitting catchers, and Cole really hasn't hit lefties at even a Mendoza line, but if he is our best option to be as close to 2-way as possible on our club then so be it. I would love to have a RH hitting defensive stud back there once a week during AJ's rest, but we don't have that in our system, and there really isn't one on the market. Francisco Hernandez is th eclosest thing we have to that, and he has torn up LHPs his last two seasons, but I don't think he is the ideal backup right now because there is still the chance that he can develop into a starter with more seasoning in the minors.

Lukin13
10-30-2008, 04:30 PM

So you are saying Armstrong has an average arm when only compared to Johnny Bench and other mythical catchers from back "when the game was played the way it should be played"???

Carlos Quentin sure had an average season in '08 (five posts later I will explain that it was average when compared to Babe Ruth, Willy Mays and Barry Bonds at their prime).

Lip Man 1
10-30-2008, 05:04 PM
The Sox are trying to get faster and more baseball like in all areas...that appears to be the mantra, including back up slow moving catchers.

A little surprised but there are guys out there who can do more then Hall did for less money and move faster while doing it.

Lip

Craig Grebeck
10-30-2008, 05:07 PM
The Sox are trying to get faster and more baseball like in all areas...that appears to be the mantra, including back up slow moving catchers.

A little surprised but there are guys out there who can do more then Hall did for less money and move faster while doing it.

Lip
That's such bull**** lip. Kenny and this organization shouldn't be trying to find more speed at the backup C position.

btrain929
10-30-2008, 05:09 PM

AJ signed a 3-year extension earlier this year.

btrain929
10-30-2008, 05:09 PM

Tons of teams out there have a C and a backup C that both hit righty. What's the difference if we have 2 that hit lefty?

Plus, AJ had a better avg, slg, and ops vs lefties this year than righties. So it's not like we have to bench AJ everytime we face a lefty. Bench him vs some righties or before a day off (so he has 2 days of rest) and let Cole rake. Now if we find a good FA righty backup catcher (Olivo, or whoever), I'll support that as well. But I don't think having Cole as a backup is an automatic "no, not possible" because AJ bats lefty.

Daver
10-30-2008, 06:28 PM
I agree with what you said for the most part, but that's just the evolution of the game. It's hard to explain why there are so few two-way catchers in the games now, maybe the way they grow up with the game, maybe the guys who would be studs back there in the past are being pushed to other positions for some reasons.

I watch a lot of HS and College baseball, I can tell you why. High school coaches are no longer teachers of the game, the emphasis on teaching fundamentals and playing the game the right way are gone, all that counts is winning. When they get a freshman kid that plays catcher, but is an above average hitter, he's moved to left field or first base to avoid injury, instead of teaching him how to play the position to protect himself. HS coaches want to control as much of the game as possible, much like arrogant pro coaches like Tony LaRussa, so kids are not taught to learn pitchers and call pitches, and if they are it is on a very limited basis, a W on the score is more important than kids learning to play the game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for kids being competetive and learning the thrill of victory, but the coaches should take the extra time it would take to do it the right way. I was a volunteer coach for a local HS team for about two weeks a few years ago, until I quit in disgust at what the players were being taught, and the way it was being taught, even when I was in little league practice lasted longer than an hour.

Noneck
10-30-2008, 06:29 PM

I do understand that a catcher should be able to do the above but I just don't see the need for a catcher with a strong arm on the current Sox team. A strong armed catcher still couldn't throw out base runners because of the inability of the pitchers to hold runners on base. I don't understand why this is totally overlooked and seems to be accepted by the Sox coaching staff. I look forward to your perspective on this.

longtimesoxguy
10-30-2008, 06:39 PM
This is a good move. Were screwed if AJ were to be out for any length of time. Kenny will bring in someone that they feel can play everyday.

Daver
10-30-2008, 06:55 PM
I do understand that a catcher should be able to do the above but I just don't see the need for a catcher with a strong arm on the current Sox team. A strong armed catcher still couldn't throw out base runners because of the inability of the pitchers to hold runners on base. I don't understand why this is totally overlooked and seems to be accepted by the Sox coaching staff. I look forward to your perspective on this.

Just about every staff has at least one starter that flat out ignores runners on base, the Sox have more than one unfortunately. Without going on a rant at the lousy state of coaching for the pitching position league wide, I will say this. That is even more a reason to have a catcher with a strong accurate arm and a quick release. At this point anyone can be the backup catcher, the Sox have traded defense for offense at that position by having AJ as the starter anyway. And before people start accusing me of disliking AJ, I don't, but I will never consider him more than average at best catcher.

Noneck
10-30-2008, 07:05 PM
Just about every staff has at least one starter that flat out ignores runners on base, the Sox have more than one unfortunately. Without going on a rant at the lousy state of coaching for the pitching position league wide, I will say this. That is even more a reason to have a catcher with a strong accurate arm and a quick release. At this point anyone can be the backup catcher, the Sox have traded defense for offense at that position by having AJ as the starter anyway. And before people start accusing me of disliking AJ, I don't, but I will never consider him more than average at best catcher.

In your opinion and with your background as a catcher, would a accurate strong armed catcher be able to throw out a significant more base runners with the current Sox pitching staff?

Daver
10-30-2008, 07:16 PM
In your opinion and with your background as a catcher, would a accurate strong armed catcher be able to throw out a significant more base runners with the current Sox pitching staff?

They would throw out more, but significant is a matter of opinion. Not all of it is on the pitcher's shoulder's either, a catcher can hold a runner at first as well.

thomas35forever
10-30-2008, 07:58 PM
Let the Donny Lucy era begin?

Also, does this mean Swish will assume the pie duties?

soxpride724
10-30-2008, 08:00 PM
While he is replaceable, I will miss him. Stand up guy.

Daver
10-30-2008, 08:11 PM

Donny isn't close to Anderson in terms of offensive production, so I doubt he will ever see time at the MLB level with the White Sox.

forrestg
10-30-2008, 08:14 PM
How about Jeff clement he's young. He hits left handed but hits lefties better than righties. He plays behind jahima so they made him a dh so he could get playing time. I believe he has a decent arm.. What would we have to give up to get him.

champagne030
10-30-2008, 08:23 PM
How about Jeff clement he's young. He hits left handed but hits lefties better than righties. He plays behind jahima so they made him a dh so he could get playing time. I believe he has a decent arm.. What would we have to give up to get him.

He's behind Johjima? We'd need to give up more than we're willing to give for Clement because he's brutal defensively and we already have too many DH's on this team.

Noneck
10-30-2008, 08:54 PM
They would throw out more, but significant is a matter of opinion. Not all of it is on the pitcher's shoulder's either, a catcher can hold a runner at first as well.

Thanks, I would then like a backup catcher that can hold runners on base, has a good accurate arm that catches every 5th day for Floyd.

And if he can hit his weight, Thats great.

BadBobbyJenks
10-30-2008, 08:58 PM
Toby Hall cream pie.

On Mac Jurko and Harry today they read a pretty funny email from a listener,
"I hope they put his option declined paperwork on a plate and cover it with shaving cream, ring Toby's doorbell and hit him with pie to deliver the news."

Daver
10-30-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks, I would then like a backup catcher that can hold runners on base, has a good accurate arm that catches every 5th day for Floyd.

And if he can hit his weight, Thats great.

You pretty much described Donny Lucy, and he has an outside chance of batting his weight.

But my opinion is worthless, I don't contribute anything around here.

turners56
10-30-2008, 09:22 PM
On Mac Jurko and Harry today they read a pretty funny email from a listener,
"I hope they put his option declined paperwork on a plate and cover it with shaving cream, ring Toby's doorbell and hit him with pie to deliver the news."

"BOO-YAH, you're not longer on the team Toby!"

champagne030
10-30-2008, 09:33 PM
You pretty much described Donny Lucy, and he has an outside chance of batting his weight.

I wish Toby could hit his weight. He'd run away with the batting title if he had enough AB's. :redneck

Zisk77
10-30-2008, 10:16 PM
Tons of teams out there have a C and a backup C that both hit righty. What's the difference if we have 2 that hit lefty?

Plus, AJ had a better avg, slg, and ops vs lefties this year than righties. So it's not like we have to bench AJ everytime we face a lefty. Bench him vs some righties or before a day off (so he has 2 days of rest) and let Cole rake. Now if we find a good FA righty backup catcher (Olivo, or whoever), I'll support that as well. But I don't think having Cole as a backup is an automatic "no, not possible" because AJ bats lefty.

Thats because most people are right handed and therefore righty hitters have hit their entire lives against righties so rh P poses no special problem to them. In fact many righties prefer to hit against right handed pitchers than lefties (I sure did).

Now leftys are at a severe disadvantage hitting against lhp.

so in summation:

2 right catchers ok
2 Lefty carchers bad:tongue:

btrain929
10-30-2008, 11:40 PM

Also, does this mean Swish will assume the pie duties?

But my opinion is worthless, I don't contribute anything around here.

He's not even on the 40 man roster. He was taken off when there was no pressing need to take him off. I'd think that's a big statement saying he will NOT be the '09 backup.