PDA

View Full Version : 10 years of progress

tony1972
10-30-2008, 01:34 PM
To me the last 10 years have really marked tremendous changes for the White Sox and the fans...

(A) Three post season appearances in 9 years
(B) First World Series Title in 88 years
(C) Ballpark going from the mistake on the Lake (Michigan) to one of the nicer ones in baseball
(D) Bridgeport is actually started to get to be fun to hang around before and after a game (tailgating, Mitchell's, Buffalo Wings and Rings, Catcher's Inn, Schaller's Pump, etc)...instead of everyone running to their cars and jamming the Dan Ryan
(E) Good Crowd in 1999 meant 21,000 vs. the Yankees on a fireworks nights in warm weather in June...21,000 is standard crowd now for a Wendesday game vs. the Royals in April when it's 40 degrees..
(F) Let's face it...10 years ago..you were pretty much made fun of for being a Sox fan...now one might be president (don't roadhouse this please...I'm not taking a politcal position)...

To me...who could have predicted the changes that would have occurred in the last decade? from obscurity..to one of the more popular teams in Chicago...

whitesox901
10-30-2008, 01:48 PM
I havnt been a fan for a whole decade yet, but i love the changes that we have done and the better franchise we have become

jackbrohamer
10-30-2008, 02:07 PM
This has been discussed at length on this site over time, but 1998 was really one of the darkest times for the White Sox' organization, particularly given that were just coming off of the 1994/5 strike, the 1997 White Flag trade, 3 years of Bevington and the start of the Jamie Navarro Era. And those juicers on the north side and in St. Louis were the focus of all baseball media coverage.

So I agree with you, it is almost hard to imagine how much things have improved over the past 10 years.

TheKittle
10-30-2008, 02:31 PM
This has been discussed at length on this site over time, but 1998 was really one of the darkest times for the White Sox' organization, particularly given that were just coming off of the 1994/5 strike, the 1997 White Flag trade, 3 years of Bevington and the start of the Jamie Navarro Era. And those juicers on the north side and in St. Louis were the focus of all baseball media coverage.

So I agree with you, it is almost hard to imagine how much things have improved over the past 10 years.

Did you mean the Jamie Navarro Error?

whitesox901
10-30-2008, 03:12 PM
Did you mean the Jamie Navarro Error?

Hey now, he would of won more games had he had some run support

areilly
10-30-2008, 03:29 PM
(F) Let's face it...10 years ago..you were pretty much made fun of for being a Sox fan...now one might be president (don't roadhouse this please...I'm not taking a politcal position)...

I really can't believe you just said that. As though baseball allegiances ever limited a person's political career.

No matter what kind of celebrities we have in our ranks, people will still make fun of Sox fans - but people make fun of fans of every team.

HomeFish
10-30-2008, 03:42 PM
In many ways, we are living in the golden age of Chicago baseball. On both sides of town, by many standards.

Lundind1
10-30-2008, 03:47 PM
I think that we have only begun to be cast as one of the best franchises in professional sports. It takes a long road to get there but it is a quick fall. Look at the 49'ers in football. In just 15 years time they have fallen on that obscurity. We as fans need to step up our support and join the army that will cast a huge black shadow over the city of chicago, lol that sounds cryptic. I think that you will see an increase in the popularity of this team, and it is time to get onboard.

Frontman
10-30-2008, 04:52 PM
In many ways, we are living in the golden age of Chicago baseball. On both sides of town, by many standards.

I'll even throw out another addition to that HomeFish; this has been a Golden Age for Chicago sports. As you said, both baseball teams have been great, the Bears have been to two Superbowls in the past 25 years, we had an incredible run with Jordan.

For my generation (the 30-somethings) this has been a great city to grow up in being a sports fan.

chisoxfanatic
10-30-2008, 06:00 PM
The "Golden Age" for the Cubs was a century ago.
I think that we have only begun to be cast as one of the best franchises in professional sports. It takes a long road to get there but it is a quick fall. Look at the 49'ers in football. In just 15 years time they have fallen on that obscurity. We as fans need to step up our support and join the army that will cast a huge black shadow over the city of chicago, lol that sounds cryptic. I think that you will see an increase in the popularity of this team, and it is time to get onboard.
15 years is actually a long time. That is hardly a "quick fall." And, I don't think any fans posting here at WSI need to "step up our support," because I think everyone here already gives the team a ton of support.
I'll even throw out another addition to that HomeFish; this has been a Golden Age for Chicago sports. As you said, both baseball teams have been great, the Bears have been to two Superbowls in the past 25 years, we had an incredible run with Jordan.

For my generation (the 30-somethings) this has been a great city to grow up in being a sports fan.
I will have to agree with you, Frontman. I am 26 and haven't had to go through a bunch of futility in my lifetime. Yea, there were a couple years of lean times; but, in general, we've had at least one good team, if not more.

Hitmen77
10-30-2008, 07:05 PM

Back before Super Bowl XX, Chicago was known as the city of sports losers. Many people in town bemoaned how our teams never won anything.

At that point, we never had an NBA title, no World Series title since WWI, before '83 there were no MLB postseason in Chicago since '59....the most recent championships were the '63 Bears (pre-Super Bowl era) and the '61 Hawks. It was only a little more than 20 years since those two titles, but that meant nothing to me since both happened before I was born.

The 1981 NASL Soccer championship by the Chicago Sting was sort of a big deal because it was the only thing Chicago had won in pro sports in recent memory.

Hitmen77
10-30-2008, 09:48 PM
To me the last 10 years have really marked tremendous changes for the White Sox and the fans...

(A) Three post season appearances in 9 years
(B) First World Series Title in 88 years
(C) Ballpark going from the mistake on the Lake (Michigan) to one of the nicer ones in baseball
(D) Bridgeport is actually started to get to be fun to hang around before and after a game (tailgating, Mitchell's, Buffalo Wings and Rings, Catcher's Inn, Schaller's Pump, etc)...instead of everyone running to their cars and jamming the Dan Ryan
(E) Good Crowd in 1999 meant 21,000 vs. the Yankees on a fireworks nights in warm weather in June...21,000 is standard crowd now for a Wendesday game vs. the Royals in April when it's 40 degrees..

To me...who could have predicted the changes that would have occurred in the last decade? from obscurity..to one of the more popular teams in Chicago...

Well put.

I'll also add that the Sox seem to have much more of a following than 10 years ago. Back in '98, living out in DuPage I'd rarely see anyone talk about the Sox, wear Sox gear, etc. The reaction I'd get is for people to ask why I follow the Sox and not the Cubs. Today, the Sox are much more competitive...you see people...including kids...with Sox stuff when I'm out and about and no one really asks me anymore why I follow the Sox instead of the Cubs.

Obviously the watershed moment was winning the World Series in 2005. This has given the Sox a great boost even if their last 3 seasons weren't as successful as '05.

TheKittle
10-31-2008, 12:01 AM
Back before Super Bowl XX, Chicago was known as the city of sports losers. Many people in town bemoaned how our teams never won anything.

At that point, we never had an NBA title, no World Series title since WWI, before '83 there were no MLB postseason in Chicago since '59....the most recent championships were the '63 Bears (pre-Super Bowl era) and the '61 Hawks. It was only a little more than 20 years since those two titles, but that meant nothing to me since both happened before I was born.

The 1981 NASL Soccer championship by the Chicago Sting was sort of a big deal because it was the only thing Chicago had won in pro sports in recent memory.

I remember either a SI or Sport magazine story that was titled something like Chicago-City of Losers, back in the early 80's. Listed the long droughts for all the teams.

chisoxfanatic
10-31-2008, 12:23 AM
I remember either a SI or Sport magazine story that was titled something like Chicago-City of Losers, back in the early 80's. Listed the long droughts for all the teams.
Did they go after Cleveland too? They had a huge drought even back then!

Frontman
10-31-2008, 12:23 AM
Another turning point I've noticed recently is the kids as well. When I first started as a mail carrier; I would get more kids coming up to the truck and seeing my Sox hat giving me hell, saying "the Sox suck" etc.

Now, I see it more 50/50. During the last week/playoffs, I had kids, "Buehrle's going to win tonight. He's going to pitch awesomely!" and "Think Alexei will hit a home run tonight?"

It's something to enjoy see happening. The team has earned some credibility; and I'll always be proud to be a Sox fan. (It's just a bit easier when they've won over more fans.)

voodoochile
10-31-2008, 01:01 AM
It's a great point. I mean from the lean times of drawing 1.3M+ in 1998 and 1999 after the 1997 White Flag Trade debacle to where we are now - regularly drawing close to 3M, a regular competitor for a playoff slot, 3 division pennants, 1 AL pennant and a WS title is a stunning turn around.

From the dark days of Rob Gallas and his 1/2 price Mondays promos and every other slick gimmick you could think of to sell tickets on a day by day basis to having one of the best ST bases in baseball and growing.

I remember PHG hammering Gallas for his shortsighted thinking.

I remember hammering Reinsy myself for the WFT and his unwillingness to spend money because he wouldn't spend for a winner until the fans came out - completely misunderstanding the concept of how it works. I have called the WFT one of the worst if not the worst business decisions in the history of the world because of the message it sent to the fans and the way it opened the team up for public ridicule. That's the part that shows me how much things have changed more than anything. Now the Sox are buyers every year at the deadline. Now they expect to be in a position to compete and thus are willing to spend money and prosepects to do so.

Gallas, Scheuler and their head honcho Reinsy nearly killed this franchise. Now we wear our colors with pride. Now we can laugh when someone talks about attendance or what happened 10 or even 20 years ago. Now we have a marketing team that speaks to our hearts and our minds.

You don't have to like us, but if you don't respect us or take us seriously, it's your own damned fault when we kick your ass...

chisoxfanatic
10-31-2008, 01:09 AM
From the dark days of Rob Gallas and his 1/2 price Mondays promos and every other slick gimmick you could think of to sell tickets on a day by day basis to having one of the best ST bases in baseball and growing.
I kinda wish they still had Lady's Night. :(

Lundind1
10-31-2008, 01:57 AM
15 years is actually a long time. That is hardly a "quick fall." And, I don't think any fans posting here at WSI need to "step up our support," because I think everyone here already gives the team a ton of support.

I understand. I worded that wrong, sorry. It only took a few years when DeBartolo left for that whole thing to fall apart (49ers that is). It has only been 15 year since the went really bad. It was something that was widely discussed with our old buddy Singletary blowing up this last Sunday.

The step up in support was intended for the watchers on this site who are casual or fair-weather fans. I would just love to see tons of people at every game next season. I just hope this economy thing works out okay in the coming months.

WhiteSox5187
10-31-2008, 03:41 AM
That '98 team might be my most hated Sox team of all time (well at least in my life time). There were a lot of jerks on that team...very dark days for the franchise. I remember going to one game where there was something like 700 people at the park. I even found myself (at all of ten!) paying more attention the Cubs that year (also we didn't have cable in my house back then).

Hitmen77
10-31-2008, 11:07 AM
Did they go after Cleveland too? They had a huge drought even back then!

I don't remember...but our drought before the '85 Bears was worse than Cleveland's. The Browns were NFL champs 1 year more recently than the Bears. Neither city had ever won anything in the NBA. The Indians were futile, but so were the Cubs and Sox. Cleveland doesn't have an NHL team.

You could say our drought was worse because Cleveland only had 3 teams in the 4 major sports. We had 5 teams and still couldn't win a damn thing.

voodoochile
10-31-2008, 12:03 PM
I don't remember...but our drought before the '85 Bears was worse than Cleveland's. The Browns were NFL champs 1 year more recently than the Bears. Neither city had ever won anything in the NBA. The Indians were futile, but so were the Cubs and Sox. Cleveland doesn't have an NHL team.

You could say our drought was worse because Cleveland only had 3 teams in the 4 major sports. We had 5 teams and still couldn't win a damn thing.

And that's the last championship any team from Cleveland has won. They were the only AL team to lose a WS from 1991-2000 and they did it twice - just think how pathetic Atlanta's run of division titles would look if not for Cleveland. There was a team from Cleveland that won a championship, but the year before - they moved to Baltimore. I think they've got an indoor soccer team that actually won a championship or two, but from a big 4 perspective, they are pathetic. It was always fun to get tribe trolls who tried to actually talk trash on the old troll forums. It was like shooting fish in a barrel...

whitesox901
11-03-2008, 02:47 PM

When was Cleveland last championchip...in anything? Im hard pressed to think it was Indians back in the 1940's.

Lip Man 1
11-03-2008, 06:46 PM
Cleveland Browns in 1964 won the NFL Title. They didn't have a Super Bowl then so that was the best you could do.

Lip

guillensdisciple
11-03-2008, 08:25 PM
You guys try to find a list of top 10 baseball franchises in the past ten years and I believe the White Sox will make it.

The only teams I know who have out done us are the Twins (unfortunately), Yanks, Red Sox, Angels, Atlanta, Cardinals, and the Astros. (I don't believe any team from the NL west has been that succesful over the past 10 years.)

The White Sox have had three playoff runs, a world series championship, and a myriad of winning seasons. I believe that puts us as one of the more succesful franchises in baseball. Unnnoticed, of course, but still succesful.

Frontman
11-03-2008, 08:38 PM
You guys try to find a list of top 10 baseball franchises in the past ten years and I believe the White Sox will make it.

The only teams I know who have out done us are the Twins (unfortunately), Yanks, Red Sox, Angels, Atlanta, Cardinals, and the Astros. (I don't believe any team from the NL west has been that succesful over the past 10 years.)

The White Sox have had three playoff runs, a world series championship, and a myriad of winning seasons. I believe that puts us as one of the more succesful franchises in baseball. Unnnoticed, of course, but still succesful.

See, to me; I don't care if ESPN or even the local stations "notice" if the Sox are succesful. I care if they are or aren't. At the end, I think of the Sox playing for MY enjoyment, not for the joy it would bring to ESPN.

:wink:

But, you are right. For the first decade of the 21st Century; the Sox are in the top 10 teams. They've had some solid success this decade; and to me are building a solid base of younger players to carry it further.

Hitmen77
11-03-2008, 09:34 PM
When was Cleveland last championchip...in anything? Im hard pressed to think it was Indians back in the 1940's.

To clarify, I meant that our drought as of 1985 (just prior to Super Bowl XX) was just as bad (and in fact a tad worse) as Cleveland's drought as of 1985.

I was pointing out how Chicago had a reputation of being a sports loser town at that point in time. Even if other cities also had droughts, Chicago was still known as a city of sports losers before the Bears title.

Of course Cleveland has since doubled the length of their drought in the last 2 decades while Chicago has won 8 championships.

Frontman
11-03-2008, 09:54 PM
To clarify, I meant that our drought as of 1985 (just prior to Super Bowl XX) was just as bad (and in fact a tad worse) as Cleveland's drought as of 1985.

I was pointing out how Chicago had a reputation of being a sports loser town at that point in time. Even if other cities also had droughts, Chicago was still known as a city of sports losers before the Bears title.

Of course Cleveland has since doubled the length of their drought in the last 2 decades while Chicago has won 8 championships.

I wonder how that entered the social consciousness of America......

whitesox901
11-04-2008, 11:38 AM

I figured, but It got me curious, but I'm thinking the Browns won the NFL Championchip back in the 1950's to awnser my own queston

voodoochile
11-04-2008, 11:48 AM
I figured, but It got me curious, but I'm thinking the Browns won the NFL Championchip back in the 1950's to awnser my own queston

The Browns started out in a different football league which then merged with the NFL. With Otto Graham as their QB they played in 9 straight championship games including the first 4 years after the merger. This is IIRC it might be 11. It's been a while since I looked it up...

whitesox901
11-04-2008, 12:10 PM
The Browns started out in a different football league which then merged with the NFL. With Otto Graham as their QB they played in 9 straight championship games including the first 4 years after the merger. This is IIRC it might be 11. It's been a while since I looked it up...

They win any of thoose?

TommyJohn
11-04-2008, 12:40 PM

It was actually 6 (1950-55) after the merger. The Browns never finished lower than first place during their first ten years of existence (1946-55.)

Hitmen77
11-04-2008, 02:14 PM
They win any of thoose?

I don't know about the '50, but the Browns won the NFL championship in 1964. That was Cleveland's last championship in the 4 major sports.

whitesox901
11-04-2008, 03:54 PM
I don't know about the '50, but the Browns won the NFL championship in 1964. That was Cleveland's last championship in the 4 major sports.

Thanks! That was nagging at me forever :tongue:

Red Barchetta
11-04-2008, 04:17 PM
Great post! I agree that the franchise has enjoyed a nice run over the last 10 years. I think the owners and management are not satisfied with one World Series win and are committed to being competitive every year.

Although our WS sweep in 2005 is my ultimate SOX fan prize, I was never more proud of our team, organization and fans than when we had the "Rolling Blackout" against the Twins. It really showed who we are and looked so impressive on TV.

I think we were all frustrated with the team's inability to lock down the division title earlier however considering the key injuries to Quentin, Contreras, Crede and Konerko (earlier in the season), the fact that we made the playoffs was very impressive. During a season that was supposed to be "The Cubs Year" and them having "The Best Team on Paper", it was great to see the SOX fan unity demonstrated on national TV.

:smile:

Lundind1
11-05-2008, 09:08 AM
I could not have expressed that idea any better. :thumbsup: