PDA

View Full Version : What if MLB goes away?

danman31
05-19-2002, 04:30 PM
What would you do if MLB somehow went away? Please use your imagination because I know it's not likely, but it's an interesting question.

doublem23
05-19-2002, 04:43 PM
Well, IF the MLB somehow folded, I'm sure another league would start up, and if worse comes to worse, there are still the minor leagues (Northern League, for instance) that wouldn't fold.

Just because the MLB dies, doesn't mean baseball dies. Somehow, someway... Baseball would find a way to survive.

So to answer your question, I'd get my needed dose of baseball somehow.

danman31
05-19-2002, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Well, IF the MLB somehow folded, I'm sure another league would start up, and if worse comes to worse, there are still the minor leagues (Northern League, for instance) that wouldn't fold.

Just because the MLB dies, doesn't mean baseball dies. Somehow, someway... Baseball would find a way to survive.

So to answer your question, I'd get my needed dose of baseball somehow. Yeah, it is a big if and I know that. I know that other leagues would thrive, but it would take at least a year. As I said try and use your imagination because the concept is quite a stretch.

doublem23
05-19-2002, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by danman31
Yeah, it is a big if and I know that. I know that other leagues would thrive, but it would take at least a year. As I said try and use your imagination because the concept is quite a stretch.

True, but I'm just saying my answer isn't in your poll.... I'd find baseball somehow.

mike squires
05-19-2002, 04:48 PM
i would survive. maybe cause i'm getting older but i don't share the same enthusiasm for the game as i once did. i used to go to the game that took me back to a little kid. just a few years ago i would be so excited i would watch batting practice with my body trembling with nervous excitment. maybe it's cause i've been in the chicago suntimes, or hawk saying my name on tv, or eating next to john garland in a restaraunt, or chilling next to jose valentin, aaron rowand, kelly wunsch and todd ritchie, maybe cause i finally got my wish and got harold baines autograph 7 times, who knows. don't get me wrong. i still love the game, i still enjoy going to the games. it's different that's all. it used to be an obsession for me. i would sit in my chair with my hand on the record button just waiting for somthing exciting to happen. today instead of watching the game i cleaned out the garage. i would survive.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-19-2002, 05:12 PM
I think there is a market for a league comprised of retired stars (Cal Ripken, Jose Canseco), aging minor league talent (guys who have prior MLB experience but aren't good enough to stick), and guys still chasing a fading dream (virtually anybody in the Northern League). Though most of the talent in the minor leagues won't be available (they're under contract to MLB or affiliates), I bet a new league could do just fine without their help.

Most fans are too stupid to much care about the true talent of the ballplayers on the diamond. (Exhibit A: the idiots buying Wrigley Field tickets). They want name recognition, a good time, and an affordable price--in that order.

A part of me hopes MLB shuts down for a long time (i.e. more than one year). They will behave less like monopolists when competition fills the void created by major league greed.

I believe the owners will cave in long before this happens. Then we'll wait another five years and the process will repeat itself because the owners will have learned nothing for the experience. They'll simply go shopping for another dupe to underwrite the next work stoppage, like Fox is this one.

It's the game that suffers. However, it will survive in some shape or form.

JoeBatters
05-20-2002, 10:47 AM
Well , how 'bout "The XLB " ? Just kiddin . For me i'd freak ! I would move to CUBA or JAPAN , yup !